Mattison Making Most of Opportunity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mattison-Making-Most-of-Opportunity/304696fc-1649-445d-a9a0-5eed9c5576e7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... ed9c5576e7</a>

Mattison_Feature_500_310.jpg

Given his first opportunity to start a NFL game at right guard on Monday night, Bryan Mattison couldn’t help but think how far he’s come since he entered the league in 2008.

As an undrafted rookie out of Iowa, Mattison came in as a defensive end. To earn a roster spot, he not only overcame the odds of being undrafted but also an eventual position switch. Not many players can make that type of transition this late in the game but Mattison did it and continued to carve out a niche for himself in the league.

“I reflected on it a little bit, thinking it wasn’t too long ago I was playing D line,” Mattison said. “But I’m an O lineman now and I like it and that’s the way it goes.”

The Rams claimed Mattison off waivers from Baltimore on Nov. 25 and didn’t waste much time trying to get him up to speed and plugging him into the lineup.

When left guard Jacob Bell was placed on injured reserve last week, Mattison got moved into the lineup. Coach Steve Spagnuolo and the staff informed him early in the week in order to give him as much time to prepare as possible.

By the time Monday night finally arrived, Mattison was feeling the pressure of making his first NFL start even though he had played on special teams in eight games for Baltimore.

“I was definitely nervous,” Mattison said. “I was always told growing up that nerves are a good thing. That means you care about it. I think everybody was excited to get out there and my first play I was just hoping I wouldn’t jump offsides and after that I was good to go.”

Mattison made it through the game fine with the help of right tackle Harvey Dahl and center Tony Wragge communicating constantly and doing whatever necessary to help him out.

Spagnuolo said he thought Mattison fared well given the circumstances.

“We thought Bryan could lineup there at guard and give us some efficient plays,” Spagnuolo said. “We think he did that. There were a couple places where he struggled, but going forward he’s just going to get better and better and that’s a good thing.”

Of course, Mattison is his own biggest critic and saw plenty of things he’d like to work on, especially his knowledge and understanding of the playbook as well as fundamentals like pad placement and technique.

“I have got to get better,” Mattison said. “That’s always the case but I would like to improve certain things here and there. It was a fun experience. It’s not fun losing but going out and playing was fun. I enjoyed it, had fun playing with the guys next to me. I just hope I can work this week and get better for next week.”

Part of Mattison’s continued improvement will come as he continues to adjust to his new position. He says there are things he can take from playing defense and apply to his technique as an offensive lineman as well as things he understands about blocking moves and counters from opponents.

“There’s a lot of learning,” Mattison said. “There’s a lot of messing up in practice and getting corrected. I think the best thing I can do is just be coachable. There’s going to be some mess ups and stuff like that but it was difficult. I think if you ask anybody in here, NFL football is difficult, it doesn’t matter what you are playing. It’s my job to learn it and get after it.”

The more learning he does, especially on the job, the better off Mattison will be long term. He’s not yet allowing himself to think about how the next three games could help him further establish himself in the league, though.

It remains to be seen whether Mattison will get another start this week though signs are pointing in that direction. Either way, Mattison isn’t caught up in trying to become a full time starter overnight.

“I am just trying to do better for next week,” Mattison said. “I have way too much to do. I just try to improve for next week. If I get the start next week, make the most of the opportunity for that game. I don’t have enough time to think about down the road or the next 10 years of my life. I am just trying to make it through practice tomorrow.”

SMITH FILLS IN: Called up from the practice squad late last week, cornerback Chris Smith was placed on special teams right away on Monday night against Seattle.

But when more injuries hit the cornerback spot, Smith got moved on to the field for active duty.

“That’s a tough duty now,” Spagnuolo said. “I tell you what, special teams wise and you know he had the one play but he had a couple tackles. We thought going in that he was a feisty guy that would battle and compete and he did that. You’ve got to get up to speed quick in this league and that’s a little bit of a challenge.”

Smith played about four plays and made a tackle in his first NFL action.

ROSTER MOVE: The Rams made a roster move Wednesday, deciding to put fullback [hil]Brit Miller on injured reserve[/hil], ending his season with three games to play.

Miller suffered a knee injury late last week and did not travel with the team to Seattle. Spagnuolo said a decision might need to be made and when Miller did not improve over the past handful of days, that decision was the move to injured reserve.

“The knee didn’t respond,” Spagnuolo said. “They’re going to have to do some surgery. I don’t remember exactly what it is but he’s got something going on in there that needs to be taken care of. By the time he comes back from it, the season would be over.”

In Miller’s place, the Rams brought back cornerback Nate Ness, whom they released last week to make room for Smith. Ness provides some insurance this week with starter Josh Gordy battling an oblique injury.

INJURY REPORT: The Rams had a long list of players not practicing on Wednesday, including the aforementioned Gordy.

Quarterback Sam Bradford (ankle), safety Craig Dahl (ankle), end Chris Long (ankle), quarterback A.J. Feeley (thumb), end James Hall (chest), tackle Mark LeVoir (groin), end Eugene Sims (ankle) and tight end Stephen Spach (concussion) joined Gordy on the sidelines. All are considered day to day but some injuries are more concerning than others.

Long has played through his ankle injury the past month or so but hasn’t practiced in more than two weeks and continued to play in games.

“The guy that is really fighting through a tough injury is Chris Long,” Spagnuolo said. “That ankle keeps bothering him. He wants to be out here practicing and we’re pulling him back. We think it’s the smart thing to do. At least we have been able to get him to the games, which is huge.”

Defensive tackle Fred Robbins (back) and running back Quinn Porter (abdominal) practiced on a limited basis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow, our boy Brit "Drunken Fish" Miller on the IR for jogging out to practice. Is it Dec 2012 already?

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
Wow, our boy Brit "Drunken Fish" Miller on the IR for jogging out to practice. Is it Dec 2012 already?

How many players is that on IR from practice? Miller, Fletcher, Saffold, there's gotta be others as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
I'm really at a loss for words now. At this point you almost expect another IR'd player every week.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
DR RAM said:
I'm really at a loss for words now. At this point you almost expect another IR'd player every week.

I'm expecting a cornerback (Gordy perhaps? We know that someone with a lot of supernatural power hates us enough to do that) to go on IR any day now.

That's it. I've made up my mind. Invisible demonic forces from hell are stabbing our players with pitchforks.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Mattison is an interesting story. I had no idea he has only been playing OG for a couple of years. Maybe thus guy will develop into at least a solid back up.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Mattison is an interesting story. I had no idea he has only been playing OG for a couple of years. Maybe thus guy will develop into at least a solid back up.
I am going to study his play, I'll let you guys know what I think.

How many players is that on IR from practice? Miller, Fletcher, Saffold, there's gotta be others as well.

Not just IR'd players from practice, we have players injured running in between plays and weight lifting....strangest shit I've ever seen.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
I am going to study his play, I'll let you guys know what I think.

Not just IR'd players from practice, we have players injured running in between plays and weight lifting....strangest shyte I've ever seen.

Yeah Cadillac's injury was the most bizarre to me. It kinda just sums up our luck with injuries this year. He gets hurt jogging onto the field to sub in for SJ! We had to run the ball with Brit Miller the next play lol. Ive never heard of a player being injured that way. It reminded me of the ways Matt Hasselbeck has gotten injured recently. I think he was injured running into the endzone untouched in a game last year, and had another weird one last week.