Matt Waldman’s RB Cut-Down No.10: RB Eric Dickerson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/06/22/matt-waldmans-rb-cut-down-no-10-rb-eric-dickerson/
byMATT WALDMAN

Running back is the most talent-dense position in the history of the league. It’s why narrowing the choice to a single player is insanity.

I’m sharing my process of finding my runner to defend the planet. The criticisms I have for these players are so minor that normally, I’d echo Jim Brown’s sentiments about rating players across eras:

I don’t deal with who’s the greatest. That’s very limited, I’m sorry to say, and I think this is an example of it. Why would anyone want to say that what Adrian has done this year isn’t what someone else did years before? It’s what you do when you do it, and it should not be compared. We don’t have to compare it. It’s unnecessary. And it’s taking something away from someone to give someone else something. You don’t have to do that. Because what Adrian is doing now doesn’t hurt anyone else who’s ever run the football.

I’m not going to look at Walter Payton and take anything away from Walter. I’m not going to look at John Riggins and take anything away from him. I’m only going to look at the positive things of each individual.

I get Brown’s point. My exercise comes from a place of love for the abilities of all of these backs. It’s not a “who is the best” ranking, it’s a “who is the best for this situation based on my needs.”

The backs I’m profiling this week are listed in the order I cut them from consideration for the starter’s role. I said before if I could do it, I’d start five backs for my team. It’s just not feasible.

Eric Dickerson

He’s the prettiest runner I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close. Bill Walsh gushed about Dickerson like a pre-teen girl at a boy band concert.

I love Marcus Allen’s point that big backs take more punishment and that Dickerson’s greatness appeared deceptively easy in this respect. Dickerson was arguably the best breakaway threat at the position.

He was incredibly light on his feet with his graceful cuts, stop-start timing, and acceleration. Although powerful, Dickerson’s strength seemed more like a change-up in his arsenal as a runner. Dickerson was masterful at setting up and exploiting a crease.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuCjE8lSOU

One of the more underrated aspects of Dickerson’s game was catching the ball. He earned 51 receptions as a rookie, but only had one other season in L.A. where he earned half that total.

It’s a skill that helped Dickerson earned a combined 2000 yards four times during his career with two teams. The former SMU great routinely faced 8 and 9-man boxes and, according to Chase Stuart, “is the only player with two seasons in the top 15″ of Yards From Scrimmage as a Percentage of Team Total .

“One other Dickerson note: while he has “only” five seasons in the top 400, he’s hurt by this analysis because his 1987 season — when he played for two teams — is excluded,” says Stuart. “But for those scoring at home, Dickerson gained 1,144 yards with the Colts that year, and during that stretch, the Colts totaled 3,175 yards. So Dickerson accounted for 36% of the 1987 Indianapolis offense when he was on the roster, which would have given him another top-75 season.”

The all-time workhorse had top-shelf assistance. Dickerson’s offensive line in L.A. featured HOFer Jackie Slater and Pro-Bowl linemen Kent Hill and Doug Smith. With the Colts, Dickerson ran behind Pro-Bowl linemen Ray Donaldson and Chris Hinton. It doesn’t rob anything from Dickerson’s standing as an all-time great, but there are backs on this list that were forced to perform to a high standard with less surrounding talent.

If ranking these backs by the caliber of their athleticism, Dickerson is easily top-five. If choosing a running back based on versatility, ball security (Dickerson fumbled every 42 touches), selflessness as a teammate, and a portfolio of plays where he illustrated high marks for creativity, reckless abandon, and a full display of all of his athletic traits integrated into his style, Dickerson is in the middle of this illustrious pack.

Saying no to Eric Dickerson as your running back to defend the planet feels a little like saying no to Secretariat to represent you in a horse race. Watching Secretariat win the Belmont the way he did was one of the most inspiring athletic events I’ve ever seen on film.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM

Dickerson has that Secretariat-like athleticism. Neither beat a champion nor had scenarios where they had to display amazing guts and grit in the face of adversity or intense competition. It’s why I’m seeking a running back with more qualities akin with Man o’ War and the competitive fire of Sea Biscuit.

What is the RSP Writers Project (RSPWP)?

The RSP Writers Project is a goodwill community effort among writers that is designed to spur conversation about the game. Here’s the back story for this year’s project and the directory of participating writer-built teams.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I've always thought that Secretariat's Belmont run was the greatest athletic achievement since I've been alive at least. So what if it's a horse?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've always thought that Secretariat's Belmont run was the greatest athletic achievement since I've been alive at least. So what if it's a horse?
I could never see what everyone saw in Horse Racing, until the 1st time I went to the Track, and saw them live! They are Absolutely Beautiful Animals!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lots of great RBs out there and although I agree with Brown it is hard not to feel slighted seeing ED at 10. I guess it's kind of like what flavor ice cream do you like, everyone has their own favorite. I'm not even sure I can pick my favorite Rams RB let alone all time favorite.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I do not think there are nine backs better than Dickerson but I am admittedly a homer. To each his own opinion.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I do not think there are nine backs better than Dickerson but I am admittedly a homer. To each his own opinion.
When you own the single season rushing record, you would think you would be at least top 5.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Stupid article. Eric Dickerson was the best ever. It's a travesty what history has done to his legacy. Hate to say this, but if he played with the Steelers, Cowboys, or Giants, he would be considered a sports deity, up there with Hank Aaron, Jim Thorpe, Wayne Gretzky, and Jordan.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Stupid article. Eric Dickerson was the best ever. It's a travesty what history has done to his legacy. Hate to say this, but if he played with the Steelers, Cowboys, or Giants, he would be considered a sports deity, up there with Hank Aaron, Jim Thorpe, Wayne Gretzky, and Jordan.

I always try to take these thing in fun, so long as the list doens't drop some bomb for shock affect (so many do this...sigh) I take it as opinion. As someone above said try to geta group of Rams fans to agree on the"best" Rams back will get you a spirited debate...now add in 31 other teams. Everyone will rate different qualities differently (best year, durability, pass catching, break away ability, football smarts, leadership/wins, etc.) It is like debating who is the greatest pitcher of all time....so many names that "can" be there. Admittedly I am just old enough to kinda remeber ED, and not well so it is difficult for me to make a true evaluation. The best two I saw are Faulk (maybe best all around) and Barry (best pure runner I ever saw).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you go back and look, he put Marshawn Lynch ahead of Dickerson....

I was going to defend him for having Dickerson so low, but now....wow.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The writer probably asked his grandpa how good ED was.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let me know when 2105 is bested.

Dickerson is the greatest of ALL TIME in my book.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Good lord he did decide on "shock"....sigh.

yeah list is crap. If Lynch goes out today he is likely not a HoF in my book (close though)...couple more years he is truely HoF, but I would never consider him legendary (top 10) guy....

Memphis Ram

Legend
I didn't read the Waldman stuff posted, but I did look at the youtube clip. Eric Dickerson #52 overall? Earl Campbell #55? o_O

jap

Legend

Marshawn gets a lot of respect for his toughness and the Superman-esque plays he produces from time to time. However, I remember almost every time Eric took the ball behind that incredible OL, the defense would surge backwards! 4-5 yards almost automatically!!!

I agree with other commentators, such as Marcus Allen, that Eric's general appreciation was hurt because he made it look so easy. Eric talked about this in some of his videos. I believe either his high school or collegiate coach was giving him hell for not running all out, while Eric responded, "Coach, I'm giving it all I have!" Apparently, those long running strides with the upright gait made it look like he was merely cruising even when he was busting his tail.

Eric's upper body was so strong that when his momentum got going you simply were not! going to arm tackle him. At full gallop, he ran through most arm tackles like those arms were not even there. Once someone walloped bim pretty good at full stride that caused him to stagger slightly, but he readjusted and it was cruise control once more.

I really, really wish Georgia and her financial team were much more pragmatic when dealing with Eric's contract issue. 1808 yards his rookie season (still the most yards by an NFL rookie RB), followed by an NFL record 2105 yards in his sophomore campaign!?! I don't care if contract re-negotiations before the contract was completed were fairly new at the time. When you clearly have the most dominant RB in the game running behind the most dominant OL, you don't talk nickles & dimes!!! If eric had continued running behind Ram's OL coach Horace Houack's OL, he may have broken the 2105 mark and put the career rushing yardage total in the Twilight Zone!

jap

Legend
If Eric had continued running behind Rams' OL coach Horace Houack's OL, he may have broken the 2105 mark and put the career rushing yardage total in the Twilight Zone!

That should be: "Rams' OL coach, Hudson Houck's OL, . . . "

Alan

Legend
"In some regards, I don't ever think he gets the credit he really deserves"
Marcus Allen

And so it continues.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I was so angry when the Rams traded Dickerson.

I have seen enough of both Dickerson and Lynch to opine that Lynch is not even in the same class as Dickerson. He is a third tier back at best. I would rate both Gore and Steven Jackson ahead of Lynch. Maybe the Writer is another Seattle homer.

My top tier Running backs (interchangeable):

Walter Payton
Eric Dickerson
Marshall Faulk
Jim Brown
OJ Simpson
Barry Sanders
Gale Sayers
L Tomlinson
A Peterson

Second Tier:
Marcus Allen