Matt Stover wants financial packages for Rams players relocating to L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-r...l-packages-for-rams-players-relocating-to-l-a

Former Ravens kicker Matt Stover wants financial packages for Rams players relocating to L.A.
Jamison HensleyESPN Staff Writer

Former NFL kicker Matt Stover said there should be a financial package in place for Rams players forced to relocate from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

Stover lost thousands of dollars after he sold his house in 1996, when he was among the players who moved from Cleveland to Baltimore in the Browns' relocation. None of it was repaid.

According to the NFL Players Association, franchises are only required to pay moving and relocation expenses under the collective bargaining agreement.

"We weren't ready for it, we had no control over it and we were under contract, so we were obligated to go," said Stover, who was the Browns' players union representative at the time of the move. "I'm hoping the Rams organization will take care of their players. There should be a financial package for the players moving to L.A."

Stover said the Browns chose not to pay for the realtor fees and closing costs on the houses sold by the players. The organization contended anything paid beyond moving expenses would be a violation of the salary cap.

"It was testy at times," said Kevin Byrne, the Ravens' senior vice president of public relations who moved with the Browns. "Players came to us and said, 'You told us seven, eight months ago to be part of the community and buy a house and now I have to sell?'"

In addition to losing money in moving, players will also have to adjust to the substantially higher cost of living in Los Angeles.

"There'll be a considerable difference in net money or the ability for players to save while they're living in the market," Stover said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...te-matt-stover-hopes-rams-compensate-players/

After losing in real estate, Matt Stover hopes Rams compensate players
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 18, 2016

With all the big dollars being thrown around in the Rams’ move to Los Angeles, it’s easy to overlook the cost being paid by those with far less at stake — the Rams players.

While teams are responsible for moving costs and relocation expenses under the collective bargaining agreement, the Rams are also faced with the reality of moving to a market with much higher costs of living.

Former NFL kicker Matt Stover went through it when the Browns moved to Baltimore, and after losing his shirt in a real estate deal, thinks players deserve to be compensated.

Stover was the Browns union rep at the time of the move in 1996, and lost thousands when he sold his house. He said the organization didn’t repay any closing costs or realtor fees for the players who made the decision to settle down in Cleveland.

And while there are some free agents who will be enticed by the bright lights of Hollywood and the weather, there will also be some who balance the costs of real estate and might be turned off. But for existing Rams players, there’s little choice.
---------
Doesn’t sound too unreasonable. A lot of people get compensation when transferring out of state with their companies.

Surely the owners can afford to help them out with costs
and stuff.
--------
Yeah, not.

You pay the expenses of where you play and there should be not extra money or effective increase in the salary cap because of it.

New York and San Francisco are both extremely expensive housing markets and those players don’t get bonuses or housing allowances.

Nothing says players have to rent or buy hugely expensive places. They can rent a nice condo if they want to be cost effective but should receive zero special treatment in that respect.
--------
California has high state taxes and a higher cost of living. That’s just part of living in California. Teams should not be expected to compensate for that or for the higher cost of real estate. There’s probably salary cap issues for that. As for costs to break leases, commissions on sales, and relocation, that’s fair and covered in the CBA. Given the choice, I’m sure many would still prefer LA over St Louis. If some don’t want to go to LA, it’s fair to ask for a trade.
---------
Millionaires worrying about losing a couple thousand? My heart bleeds.
--------
It’s easy to say for an ignorant PFT poster to say “I’m supposed to feel bad for millionaires?”, but the simple fact is that there are many, many more players on NFL teams without millions of the dollars in the bank.

Undrafted or late-round rookies still on their first contracts, practice squad players, etc.. are being uprooted and moved across the country without any say in the matter. It’s only fair that they should be compensated in some way for the hassle and market difference.
---------
Forget about the dollar signs involved. I agree with Stover. Moving costs alone are thousands, having to sell your house last minute, buy a house last minute, learn a new city/state, leave everything you know, pull your kids out of schools with all their friends. This could be devastating for families if they choose to stay in Missouri while Dad is living in LA for 6 months out of the year. What a messed up situation for the contracted players.

I know many salaries are $100k a year but apartments rent for $2000 a month to start so to live in the suburbs around the stadium will cost significantly more. If I was early/middle of my career, I’d ask to be let out of my contract if no extra help was offered. There would be legal standing as well, I doubt the original deals involved relocation as it happens rarely in this league.
---------
As much as I’d like to write off the players as millionaires who should be able to afford it, I can’t. Why? Because not everyone with the team is swimming in cash. Keep in mind that late round (6-7th round) guys don’t make too much, and the practice squad even less. This also goes for the other people (non-players) in the organization. Sure, the front office types have the cash to move, but equipment managers, trainers, etc probably don’t.

It’s not unreasonable to see the owners foot the bill for some of these people, especially with LA being as expensive as it is. In this case, I’ll side against the billionaires.
---------
Here in lies the reason so many players don’t live where they play and instead live in Florida, Arizona, a hometown, etc- the transient nature of free agency makes buying a house a bad deal. No matter who you play for, they can’t away your home base.

However, established players with families probably don’t want to live out of a condo, so they buy a house. Stover makes a good point that you buy a house, put down roots and your job moves on you, the company should include a relocation package. If you bought a house for $1mm and its worth $700k because of bad timing/new inventory glut and your job relocates for reasons out of your control, the team/league should compensate. Hell, the costs would be less than 1% of the relocation fee to offset losses and fees.
---------
I live in Ca just fine on a fraction of what league minimum players make. Don’t buy a house for a job that might only last 2-4 years in that location bro. They have these things we call leases here in Ca. Shoot, I bet they have them everywhere.
---------
St Louis is one of the lower cost area’s to leave in the US. Your tax guy & agent can’t figure out the benefits of keeping your St Louis residence & renting out your home as a investment property?…really?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
No I don't agree these players make enough money to move themselves. They get pretty much everything already paid for hotel,food,medical etc..A career in the NFL is short-lived so these guys can rent or lease instead of buying.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they had been drafted by the LA Rams, vs having to relocate to LA from St Louis. Certainly there are costs to moving, but the taxes part is part of the deal in playing a kids game for millions....Even if they have to sell property and then finding a new place in SoCal...That's just life too, and I doubt that most would have to some sort of desperatioon sell before getting the new place.....Nothing about moving is fun, so they have my sympathies there. Go ahead and light a Cohiba with a flaming hundred dollar bill, and relax..

Ram65

Legend
Interesting. How much money?

I believe corporation give some compensation for relocation.

Please check with your financial adviser first. They can get a tax write off.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Should the billionaire pay for the millionaire to move. Wow, talk about your 1st world problem.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Said the guy who lost in real estate?

Said the kicker....

This is ripe.
Not to say this isn't important and a consideration, but this organization is completely aware of this move long ago and all it's implications - I mean they've been aware for 3 years as it turns out according to Kroenke and Demoff

This is a non-issue
The Rams will take care of their guys like this regime always has, just check out the WR from Mixzou this past year we drafted. We don't need no kicker for the Ravens to look after our players interest

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
That's life ! Is't the Rams team one of the youngest, so what's the average age. How many of these guys have big family's and kids in school. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but these guy's chose this line of work to be there future.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cost of living in California is much, much higher than in Mo. But the side money they can make here versus their is huge!! they will be OK!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the cba calls for the Rams to assist the players and personnel financially when a relocation happens. I'll have to look into this again.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I for one believe that this will come down to contract language. I also believe that the financial health of the Employee (Players) should not be a consideration. Employees of all incomes are affected by decisions like these "watch what you wish for". It is not unreasonable for employees to be compensated for unusual or unreasonable work requirements and demands. I for one am compensated for being asked to go out of town on business "per diem". I understand that on first glance it seems to be a case where one perceived rich group is greedily going after another rich group but money, Income should have no consideration. Players are being asked and not willingly to relocate not all can just uproot children family extended or otherwise without Inconvenience beyond normal work requirements. They are due compensation IMO whether in the form of a one time relocation fee or yearly is up to the contract. I believe they will probably get a one time relocation fee and after that their employer the Rams will be headquartered in L.A making them local employees. Try not to think of it as billionaires moving millionaires but your wife or husband being asked to transfer as a union employee to another city and you being dependent on their income for survival. Should you or your wife be compensated.
I say yes.

fearsomefour

Legend
There is a right way to do things and a wrong way....big shocker the Browns/Ravens handled it like garbage. I really think this should be viewed as an investment in moral for the team.
If I relocate with my company (a multi billion dollar corp) they cut a check for a decent amount and it is up to you to bet moved for that cost or under....and underage, you hang onto.
I know people that have spent that amount of money and more to move. I also people that have downsized everything, sold almost everything online and at garage sales, pocketed the money and drove the stuff across country themselves.
The right way to handle it is the team move the guys or assist them with cutting a check. Everything is a sliding scale of course when it comes to money. Is the move much of a stain on Chris Long? I am sure no. Could be a real strain on a practice squad guy? Yes.
Such is life.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cost of living in California is much, much higher than in Mo. But the side money they can make here versus their is huge!! they will be OK!!
We all think of the stars/starters/known names. I think if you are the 50th guy on the roster it is going to be tougher. I am not crying for them by any means. But, you may have some guys who are renting condos out in the high desert somewhere and driving two hour into LA.
Anyway, Gerry Kramer spoke about having to work offseason jobs when he was a Pro-Bowler for the Packers back in the 60s.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We all think of the stars/starters/known names. I think if you are the 50th guy on the roster it is going to be tougher. I am not crying for them by any means. But, you may have some guys who are renting condos out in the high desert somewhere and driving two hour into LA.
Anyway, Gerry Kramer spoke about having to work offseason jobs when he was a Pro-Bowler for the Packers back in the 60s.
Exactly true and if the guys at the bottom of the roster, young rookies journeymen veterans hell even team staff that are much lower paid positions are going to be forced to uproot or go jobless looking for work. I didn't want to go into this side of it in my above post because it is less the business side and more the personal side. The bottom line is that the players association is a necessary counterpart to the owners and if they have negotiated and leveraged themselves into a place to have a more lucrative and healthy work situation especially for those who play for short periods of time or just hang around at low to mid level contracts they deserve it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Exactly true and if the guys at the bottom of the roster, young rookies journeymen veterans hell even team staff that are much lower paid positions are going to be forced to uproot or go jobless looking for work. I didn't want to go into this side of it in my above post because it is less the business side and more the personal side. The bottom line is that the players association is a necessary counterpart to the owners and if they have negotiated and leveraged themselves into a place to have a more lucrative and healthy work situation especially for those who play for short periods of time or just hang around at low to mid level contracts they deserve it.
Agree 100%.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everyone, including the younger players have a great opportunity to build up their "Brand name" in L.A./Hollywood! But your right some may have to commute a Little. Maybe the High Desert like 'Palmdale' or maybe, where I live in 'Simi Valley' :D We're reasonable! ( OK! I would just love to have some Rams players as neighbors!!!!!:rolllaugh:)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think all has been said here. I fall on the side of: Let's not be so assumptive and reactionary.

I think Stovers kick fell short of the goal posts here. (n) His foot, in fact landed square in his mouth.

The Rams will no doubt pay appropriate fees for moving and the full grown men and their agents will be vigilant. All real estate transactions will consider buy/sell/lease options.

Billionaires and millionaires will continue to take risks. EARN money. LOSE money. Provide jobs to hard working people and complainers alike.