Mark Barron: “The Guys in This Locker Room Made It Easy for Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sounds like Casey was trying to start some " Shit Talkin'!" between Barron and JL! :D We all know now how that would have ended. "Ohio State Rules!!" (Right, @Dagonet)

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Sounds like Casey was trying to start some " crap Talkin'!" between Barron and JL! :D We all know now how that would have ended. "Ohio State Rules!!" (Right, @Dagonet)

he can't argue about that this year.. Just saying. :cool:

FRO

Legend
Introducing our 2015 starting safety......
I hope not. McDonald was a stud back there and neither he or Barron would be good FS. What you will see is the Rams use him as a rover type. He is going to be used and be quite the playmaker for us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope not. McDonald was a stud back there and neither he or Barron would be good FS. What you will see is the Rams use him as a rover type. He is going to be used and be quite the playmaker for us.

McDonald played free safety well at USC earlier in his time there. I guess Fisher does not agree.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Last year at this time, we didn't have anyone who we knew could play either S position at a high level - McDonald was inconsistent, and McLeod was consistently sub-par.

One year later, we have 3 high performing safeties - McDonald, McCleod, Barron - and very possibly the versatile Lamarcus Joyner could grow into the best FS of the bunch. Ya gotta be 3 deep at safety with 5 on the roster, where the Rams have those 4 plus special teams guys Cody Davis and Mo Alexander (who will get a shot to compete for defensive snaps). With the versatility that Joyner brings (not to mention the high IQ and work ethic), all 6 of those guys could make the 53 next year, and I'd have no issues at all with that.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
As deep as we are at safety I can't help but think that they may try to bulk Mo Alexander up to play a little OLB. I dont see how he gets on the field any other way(besides special teams) unless Mcdonald and Barron get hurt.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Seriously?

Why not? dude is already around 220. What else are we gonna do with him? seriously? did we draft guy in the 4th round solely for special teams?? I find that hard to believe. And how else do you see him getting on the field with McDonald, Barron, and McCloud? hes definately not a free safety hes more the mold of Barron and McDonald but hes not beating either one of those guys out so I don't think its a stretch for him to add 10 to 15 lbs and give LB a try.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Barron, in many packages, is really the OLBer who plays in place of Dunbar. From there he can cover, handle a hook or curl zone or blitz and if they run can stick his head in there and control a gap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Last year at this time, we didn't have anyone who we knew could play either S position at a high level - McDonald was inconsistent, and McLeod was consistently sub-par.

One year later, we have 3 high performing safeties - McDonald, McCleod, Barron - and very possibly the versatile Lamarcus Joyner could grow into the best FS of the bunch. Ya gotta be 3 deep at safety with 5 on the roster, where the Rams have those 4 plus special teams guys Cody Davis and Mo Alexander (who will get a shot to compete for defensive snaps). With the versatility that Joyner brings (not to mention the high IQ and work ethic), all 6 of those guys could make the 53 next year, and I'd have no issues at all with that.

Yet, when Fisher first arrives many said that he doesn't value the Safety position.:whistle:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Why not? dude is already around 220. What else are we gonna do with him? seriously? did we draft guy in the 4th round solely for special teams?? I find that hard to believe. And how else do you see him getting on the field with McDonald, Barron, and McCloud? hes definately not a free safety hes more the mold of Barron and McDonald but hes not beating either one of those guys out so I don't think its a stretch for him to add 10 to 15 lbs and give LB a try.
Ok, but that is simply you speculating...there isn't any info out there to suggest that this is something the Rams "may" do.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I've got no problem with Williams using a 3 safety innovative defense. I think you can make a case that we've got 3 starting safeties at 3 different positions right now.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Ok, but that is simply you speculating...there isn't any info out there to suggest that this is something the Rams "may" do.

Yes this is purely speculation on my part. I think the guys skill set fits OLB better than safety. What do you think will become of him?? how does he get on the field?? Did Fisher really use a 4th round pick for a special teams player only? Whats your take on this guy then?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Yes this is purely speculation on my part. I think the guys skill set fits OLB better than safety. What do you think will become of him?? how does he get on the field?? Did Fisher really use a 4th round pick for a special teams player only? Whats your take on this guy then?
I think he is probably a depth safety and special teamer. I don't think that is that big of a deal for a 4th round pick...I think there is good value in that, especially if they continue to use McDonald and Barron in the way they do...he i essentially backing up 2 positions.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Barron, in many packages, is really the OLBer who plays in place of Dunbar. From there he can cover, handle a hook or curl zone or blitz and if they run can stick his head in there and control a gap.

FYI - Alexander is a converted LB playing S.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mo-alexander?id=2543677
BOTTOM LINE
Big, physical, athletic, converted linebacker who will have to carve a niche as a box defender and special-teams contributor to hold down a roster spot as a reserve safety. Size and aggressiveness will earn him a look in a league increasingly desirous of such traits in the secondary.
But really, Alexander is one of those big and athletic OLB / SS tweeners that Greg Williams just loves. He'd probably put 10 guys like that (plus one 400 lb fatty to clog the middle) if he had such folks available.

Think: McDonald. Barron, TruJo, Alexander, Ogletree...

I kinda expect we're going to see a lot more of those 3 DL, 2 LB, 6 DB packages next year, where they wind up rushing the QB with anywhere from 4 to 6 folks up to and including a CB coming out of the slot. (Joyner is a GREAT blitzer!)

I kinda see Dunbar becoming the odd man out before Alexander, where someone like Bates takes the short yardage snaps.

Edit addition: Alexander has really nice combine video. Smooth movement skills, nice transitions, his head barely moves in his backpedal. He does have small hands which perhaps explains a few of his drops.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
how else do you see him getting on the field with McDonald, Barron, and McCloud?
I believe McLeod will be a free agent sometime at the end of the new year...I doubt they re-sign him....

hes definately not a free safety
as noted above by @junkman , Mo has naturally smooth hips, for a db his size and a good backpedal...I'm sure there was a quote by Fisher himself that says Mo can/could play FS.....

hes more the mold of Barron and McDonald
True, it's obvious this regime is looking for these types of players...Wonder why? Probably plan on getting them on the field together....