Mario Williams to Bills

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -announce/

I know I've been obsessing aboot Super Mario, but I was just really, really worried that he might go to Seattle. But I'm just glad he's goin to a team I rather like than not. Williams, Darius, Kyle Williams, Barnett as part of their front 7 sounds pretty good, eh?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/mario-williams-signs-bills-schedule-press-conference-to-announce/

I know I've been obsessing aboot Super Mario, but I was just really, really worried that he might go to Seattle. But I'm just glad he's goin to a team I rather like than not. Williams, Darius, Kyle Williams, Barnett as part of their front 7 sounds pretty good, eh?
Yeah, I like the Bills too - they're pretty much my AFC team. That should give their front 7 some teeth.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Anything to give the Pats more competition in the AFC East is cool with me :rofl: .

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oooh I forogt all about Tom Brady in that divison. Gonna look forward to Bills/Patriots games now! :twisted:

steferfootball

Starter
Am I the only one that thinks Mario Williams is overrated?

I mean he is a good player, but a hundred million dollar contract?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
steferfootball said:

The contract made some sense because he has no character concerns, hes 27, and this isnt just a player performing extra well in their contract year and risk would be involved because of that. The biggest risk is the fact that he missed 14 games in the past 2 seasons.

Dont worry about initial numbers for the contract because once you dig deeper and learn more its always less. What matters the most is the guaranteed money. Its 50 million for him. Thats more than what Peppers got from the Bears. Is Williams better than Peppers? Im assuming most folks would disagree with that. It just shows the value of pass rushers and the value of being the no. 1 player at your position in FA.

steferfootball

Starter
JdashSTL said:
steferfootball said:

The contract made some sense because he has no character concerns, hes 27, and this isnt just a player performing extra well in their contract year and risk would be involved because of that. The biggest risk is the fact that he missed 14 games in the past 2 seasons.

Dont worry about initial numbers for the contract because once you dig deeper and learn more its always less. What matters the most is the guaranteed money. Its 50 million for him. Thats more than what Peppers got from the Bears. Is Williams better than Peppers? Im assuming most folks would disagree with that. It just shows the value of pass rushers and the value of being the no. 1 player at your position in FA.

He hasn't had a ten sack season since 2008. Are we going to have to pay Chris Long this kinda money? :shock:

I feel like Demarcus Ware or Jared Allen should be earning that sort of money...even the 50 mil g.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
steferfootball said:
JdashSTL said:
steferfootball said:

He hasn't had a ten sack season since 2008. Are we going to have to pay Chris Long this kinda money? :shock:

I feel like Demarcus Ware or Jared Allen should be earning that sort of money...even the 50 mil g.

When Jared Allen signed his contract with the Vikings he became the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at that time. When Demarcus Ware resigned with the Cowboys he was in the top 5 for defensive player contracts. This happened in 2008 and 2009. Julius Peppers signed the $90+ million for the Bears in 2010, and im pretty sure he was 30 years old when that happened. The price keeps going up for pass rushers. Its like QBs in the draft year after year before we had the rookie wage scale.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
steferfootball said:

Yeah but Peppers got like a $90 mil contract. RE is a premier posistion in this AFL type passing league now. Plus you throw in the fact he was a MAN as an 3-4 OLB shows how athletic he really his. Besides, I'd rather give $100 mil to Mario Williams than to Albert Haynesworthless. @ least Mario Williams gave it his all and not just during a contract year. Besides, he's the best damn player from the 2006 draft.

steferfootball

Starter
Angry Ram said:
steferfootball said:

Yeah but Peppers got like a $90 mil contract. RE is a premier posistion in this AFL type passing league now. Plus you throw in the fact he was a MAN as an 3-4 OLB shows how athletic he really his. Besides, I'd rather give $100 mil to Mario Williams than to Albert Haynesworthless. @ least Mario Williams gave it his all and not just during a contract year. Besides, he's the best damn player from the 2006 draft.
As jdash pointed out, it is an issue with pass fishers in general.

However, Mario deserves that kind of money more than a Rookie like Bradford, so at least he has established himself.