Marcus Peters extension with Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe I missed this, but figure it is interesting to Rams fans. Peters signed an extension shortly after Christmas.

———

Ravens, CB Marcus Peters agree to contract extension; deal is reportedly for three years, $42 million

The Ravens have reached an agreement on a contract extension with Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Peters, the team announced Saturday, rewarding a well-traveled but proven ballhawk who’s helped transform the team’s defense.

The extension is reportedly a three-year deal through 2022 worth $42 million, including $32 million guaranteed. The contract also will pay Peters $20.5 million next year, according to ESPN. Only five cornerbacks this year were under contract for more than $14 million annually, his extension’s yearly rate.

Peters, a two-time All-Pro pick who turns 27 next month and was set to hit free agency this offseason, has re-emerged as one of the NFL’s top cornerbacks following a midseason trade. He has returned three interceptions for touchdowns this season, two with the Ravens, and sealed a win over the Buffalo Bills in Week 14 with a last-minute deflection on fourth down.

As Peters has excelled, so, too, has the Ravens defense. When the Ravens acquired him from the Los Angeles Rams in mid-October for linebacker Kenny Young and a 2020 fifth-round pick, he was rated Pro Football Focus’ No. 15 cornerback; he’s now third overall. Since Peters’ debut in Week 7, the Ravens’ defensive efficiency has improved from No. 22 to No. 4, according to Football Outsiders. Heading into Sunday’s regular-season finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team is on a franchise-record 11-game winning streak and has already secured the AFC’s No. 1 playoff seed.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Now that he got paid they will see the Marcus Peters that we all saw as a Ram. He has made a nice living by getting over on NFL teams, but to me he will always be a pussy.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If Peters gets $20.5 million next year, how is that in line with the whole 30% thing that's been discussed here? Seems this is way over 30% raise from his 2019 contract.

And if he signed for $40 million, seems like we could have had a comp. third round pick next year rather than a fifth round pick this year. I don't like the way the team handled these trades involving Peters.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
yeah all total we gave up 2 1st round picks 1 4th round and 1 3round pick (com) to get a cb that phillips wanted and now we don't have phillips . just seems almost like mismanagement to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's still a good corner when he wants to be. But yeah paying that dude is extremely risky, glad it's not us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah all total we gave up 2 1st round picks 1 4th round and 1 3round pick (com) to get a cb that phillips wanted and now we don't have phillips . just seems almost like mismanagement to me.
There's a difference between telling the org you're good with his addition, and telling the org to go out and get that player for you. I'd be curious to know which camp Wade was in, and I suspect it was the former.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
There's a difference between telling the org you're good with his addition, and telling the org to go out and get that player for you. I'd be curious to know which camp Wade was in, and I suspect it was the former.
Agree. That makes Les the fall guy IMO if this Ramsey trade is a disaster... we sure spend a lot on one year rentals....

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I hold nothing against Marcus Peters for his time here. I think he is a good corner that was not utilized appropriately during his time here. He played injured through much of the 2018-2019 season without complaint. He was excellent during our Super Bowl run. And I do think he always gave it his best. It sucks that he is a soft player that does not tackle, but that should have been known long before trading for him. His tape from KC makes it clear. Why we would make a huge deal for a soft CB that does not excel in press coverage - and then proceed to use him as a press corner - I do not know. But that's not on Peters. I am not a fan of his personality, but that never got in the way of anything on or off the field while he was a Ram. I do think it would have led to Peters demanding more than his worth at contract negotiation time, had he stuck around that long.

I will say, however, that the acquisition and ultimate parting of ways with Marcus Peters illustrated horrible asset management by the Rams brass. Egregiously bad. Snead deserves hefty criticism for same. Hindsight is always 20/20, but in my opinion, the Peters saga has easily been Snead's worst work from an asset management perspective since he arrived at the organization. Another few bungles like that and he needs to be let go. And I do worry if the Jalen Ramsey trade might prove to be just that if he does not re-sign. Time will tell.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say, however, that the acquisition and ultimate parting of ways with Marcus Peters illustrated horrible asset management by the Rams brass. Egregiously bad. Snead deserves hefty criticism for same. Hindsight is always 20/20, but in my opinion, the Peters saga has easily been Snead's worst work from an asset management perspective since he arrived at the organization. Another few bungles like that and he needs to be let go. And I do worry if the Jalen Ramsey trade might prove to be just that if he does not re-sign. Time will tell.
If I'm the owner and my front office trades 2 first round picks for a corner and then cannot sign him... I'd be walking into their spaces with a fuckin battle axe, i.e. Demoff would find himself doing stadium and cap only, and Snead would be fired. And anyone else who pushed me to do it would be on my shit list. That's how important it is to sign Ramsey IMO.

I love that they showed the balls to go get him. But none of that means a damn thing if they don't sign him. It is an enormous concern for me right now.

Ram65

Legend
If Peters gets $20.5 million next year, how is that in line with the whole 30% thing that's been discussed here? Seems this is way over 30% raise from his 2019 contract.

And if he signed for $40 million, seems like we could have had a comp. third round pick next year rather than a fifth round pick this year. I don't like the way the team handled these trades involving Peters.

The three years in the extension are within 30% rule. Not sure how it all works but, I guess the 2019 money is not considered. There is not a lot of risk for the Ravens outside of 2020. They can get out of the contract in 2021 without a lot of dead cap.

1580150905277.png

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I see, the 30% rule applies to the money id the years of the new contract. It must be no more than 30% year over year, per OTC. The 2019 salary is not part of the rule.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
yeah you might be right that wade just went along with the management on this one. still it has been reported many times right here on this site that wade wanted a bump and run man to man db so I would guess that management went and got what wade wanted but that is jmo

Ram65

Legend
Peters helped the Rams get to the Super Bowl. The Rams didn't have a well known deep cornerback room. As it turned out Talib gets hurt and Peters played injured. It was not a match made in heaven so to speak but, it was a big part of the Super Bowl run.

I didn't like the trade for Ramsey. Adding a big contract and losing two 1st round picks and a 4th round pick didn't make sense to me. I'm pretty certain they will get him signed but, there is a risk they won't.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah you might be right that wade just went along with the management on this one. still it has been reported many times right here on this site that wade wanted a bump and run man to man db so I would guess that management went and got what wade wanted but that is jmo
I'm guessing he was probably luke warm with Peters but said sure go get him. And he probably did a jig when they asked him about Ramsey. But my point was I feel like he's not really a politics guy, could be wrong of course but there's guys who are the types that would jump on the desk or cuss up a storm for the front office to improve a position (like Greg Williams for example) and he's not one of them.

I see him as the guy who will tell you in a mild way after the defense doesn't play well that this position or that position requires this or that. Sort of a more clinical type approach. And yes this is all fan guesswork lol.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I hold nothing against Marcus Peters for his time here. I think he is a good corner that was not utilized appropriately during his time here. He played injured through much of the 2018-2019 season without complaint. He was excellent during our Super Bowl run. And I do think he always gave it his best. It sucks that he is a soft player that does not tackle, but that should have been known long before trading for him. His tape from KC makes it clear. Why we would make a huge deal for a soft CB that does not excel in press coverage - and then proceed to use him as a press corner - I do not know. But that's not on Peters. I am not a fan of his personality, but that never got in the way of anything on or off the field while he was a Ram. I do think it would have led to Peters demanding more than his worth at contract negotiation time, had he stuck around that long.

I agree, but I do not put the blame on Snead. Ultimately it is Wade's job to put Peter's in a role to be the best player he can be. When we acquired Peters he was the top corner in the league. When he was with us and Talib was on the field he was good. Not great but good. When Talib was off the field he was down right horrible. Peter's goes to Baltimore and in his first 4 games he has 4 Int's, 3 being pick 6's. Pretty much becomes the player he was in KC. Meanwhile we spend 2 firsts on Ramsey and continue to get blown out and Peter's out plays Ramsey the rest of the season. That's on Wade, Snead got him the best of the best and he did not produce. IMO that is what ultimately sealed the deal on his way out. Not stopping the run is another.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
But my point was I feel like he's not really a politics guy, could be wrong of course but there's guys who are the types that would jump on the desk or cuss up a storm for the front office to improve a position (like Greg Williams for example) and he's not one of them.
no one said they thought wade pressured the org. to go out and get ramesy but I do think they made these deals because wade wanted a bump and run db and now we don't have wade anymore. and you are completely right this is all fan guess work but it has been interesting.

dang

Legend
I was big on Peters but his is a fair weather player. when things are going well he excels. When things are going soft he is the first to roller skate away from tackles and contribute to piss poor coverage resulting in blown assignments. I wish him well but he was the poster boy for the Rams “soft” defense. Ramsey is high maintenance but he is a more well rounded tough CB that the Rams needed to evolve. Get JJ back add more pressure on the QB and watch him get back to legitimate All Pro play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am fine with Peters now departed. I do feel that the Rams lost a bit more in the entire Peters event.

I do believe that Wade wanted Ramsey & let it be known....have no evidence just a notion. I am at the moment concerned with the Ramsey situation. I will be until we get him signed long term hopefully at least 5 to 6 yrs when he will be what Richard Sherman is to the 9ers now @ 32 yrs old. Ramsey is only 25 yrs old now & could be a close to dominant shut down corner for the Rams for a long time.