Malcolm Young, AC/DC Guitarist and Co-Founder, Dead at 64

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...c-guitarist-and-co-founder-dead-at-64-w512164

Malcolm Young, guitarist and co-founder of AC/DC, died Saturday at the age of 64. Young had been suffering with dementia for the past three years, an illness that forced his retirement from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted band he founded with his brother Angus Young in 1973.

"Today it is with deep heartfelt sadness that AC/DC has to announce the passing of Malcolm Young," AC/DC wrote in a statement.

"Malcolm, along with Angus, was the founder and creator of AC/DC. With enormous dedication and commitment he was the driving force behind the band. As a guitarist, songwriter and visionary he was a perfectionist and a unique man. He always stuck to his guns and did and said exactly what he wanted. He took great pride in all that he endeavored. His loyalty to the fans was unsurpassed."

Angus Young added, "As his brother it is hard to express in words what he has meant to me during my life, the bond we had was unique and very special. He leaves behind an enormous legacy that will live on forever. Malcolm, job well done."

The Young brothers lost their older brother George Young, the Easybeats guitarist and AC/DC's longtime producer, in October at the age of 70.

In an additional statement to Australia's SBS, the band said that Malcolm Young died peacefully Saturday with his family by his side.

"Renowned for his musical prowess, Malcolm was a songwriter, guitarist, performer, producer and visionary who inspired many," the statement said. "From the outset, he knew what he wanted to achieve and, along with his younger brother, took to the world stage giving their all at every show. Nothing less would do for their fans."

This story is developing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
He was the heart and soul of that band. He wrote many of the songs, came up with the arrangements, and was one of the best rhythm guitar players in rock.

Malcolm was a raging alcoholic but went to rehab in the late 80's and remained sober ever since. The dementia, according to the band members, had been going on for many years. He also had lung cancer and wore a pacemaker.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAwUWig98A8

A55VA6

Legend
Sucks to hear. My dad is/was a huge AC/DC fan. I grew up with their albums playing at my house. Young's guitar work was amazing. RIP.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This is a tough one. AC/DC at their best (late 70s/early 80s) were as good as any band ever in my view.

Powerage and Highway to Hell are excellent albums and many credit Malcolm for being the main influence behind the band’s sound.

Sad news.

STLRam

UDFA
AC/DC is my favorite band of all time and I knew it was only a matter of time with Malcolm sadly. I enjoyed watching his last live performance in Argentina at River Plate in 2009 (not live of course, after the fact). That may have been the best live crowd AC/DC has ever performed in front of and they put on a hell of a performance.

fearsomefour

Legend
AC/DC.
What can you say man?
Young certainly had a vision. Not even an original one really. Blues soaked rock n roll, dirty and raunchy. After Bon Scott died and they stumbled onto Brian Johnson, sometimes great bands get lucky so to speak. BJ talked about their first week or so hanging out and said over a few days they wrote, their first time writing together, Have A Drink On Me, Shook Me All Night Long and Back In Black (I think those are the three)....not a bad start. For a band to have lightening strike twice is amazing.
That said, what was the driving force? That rhythm guitar. The riff. Malcom was content to stand in the background and let his brother and the singer capture the crowds attention. They were the showmen, but it was his band.
Malcolm's approach, his rhythm guitar and vision and a very underrated rhythm section made them great. They weren't fancy or progressive, they weren't a pop band or a blues band and they didn't follow trends. No matter where the trends went, where the "market" was they stayed true to their roots. A good ol rock n roll. band. What they became, in my humble opinion, is the best rock n roll band of all time.