Maine’s Jamil Demby builds versatility as Rams’ training camp looms

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
UMaine’s Jamil Demby builds versatility as Rams’ training camp looms
12134801_H15681125-e1563272929230-720x445.jpg

Jamil Demby (right) runs drills during the University of Maine football team's first practice in this Aug. 10, 2015, file photo.

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff • July 16, 2019 1:00 am
Updated: July 16, 2019 6:29 am

Former University of Maine All-American offensive tackle Jamil Demby has added a new position to his resume as he prepares to start training camp this month with the Super Bowl runner-up Los Angeles Rams.

The 23-year-old Demby, who has been moved to guard in the National Football League, saw some duty as a center during the Rams’ organized team activities last month and played all interior line positions as the Rams look to develop offensive line depth.
Starting left guard Rodger Saffold signed a free-agent deal with the Tennessee Titans, and the Rams declined to pick up the option on center John Sullivan’s contract.

Joseph Noteboom has the inside track at left guard, and Brian Allen appears likely to replace Sullivan at center. Like Demby, both are second-year pros.

“It was pretty crazy at first. I didn’t really expect it,” Demby said of his temporary move to center. “I started snapping on the side and kept building from there until I started taking reps [in practice].”

Demby said that in addition to snapping the ball and blocking, the center calls out the line’s assignments.

“The center has to know a lot in our system. He’s like the second quarterback on the field. He has to check the audibles and make sure everybody knows their blocking assignments,” Demby said.

He said a lot of veteran players helped him out as did line coach Aaron Kromer and his assistants.

“They showed me how to see different coverages and all that type of stuff. It has been good. I’m excited about trying to learn everything,” he said.

Demby saw considerable time at left tackle with the first unit because 37-year-old starter Andrew Whitworth was given some days off.

“It was definitely a good thing to gain that chemistry with the starting offensive line,” Demby said. “It helped my confidence.”

Demby said if he can prove himself at multiple positions, it will help his chances to earn a roster spot.

“If I can continue to develop my versatility and become a swing guy, that will be good for me and good for them,” he said. “I’m going to do whatever I have to in order to put myself in the best position.

“It has always been in my mind to be ready to be able to play all five line positions.”

Demby was drafted in the sixth round by the Rams a year ago and played in all four exhibition games before being released. He signed with the Detroit Lions and was on their practice squad before the Rams regained his services later in the season.

He was on the roster for their Super Bowl game with the New England Patriots but was not activated for the game. He never appeared in a regular-season game last year.

In a story on Ramswire, Kromer said, “[Demby] had the opportunity to go away and come back, and we both appreciate each other more from that separation and that has allowed us to grow at a faster rate. Jamil has gotten reps at all five positions, so we feel strongly about what he has done in the offseason.

“Obviously, games are more important than these practices in no pads, but we feel really good about him,” Kromer said.

Demby said his time spent in Detroit was valuable because he learned a different system and techniques.

He said he had a productive summer working out with trainer Rich White in New Jersey and at the Proactive Sports Performance facility in California, which is near where he lives. He also ran a football clinic for youngsters in his native Vineland, New Jersey.

The 6-foot-4 ½, 315-pound Demby, a second-team All-American and first-team All-Colonial Athletic Association choice, said returning to the Rams will be beneficial as he prepares for the team’s first training-camp practice July 27 at the University of California Irvine.

He knows what to expect and has built friendships with his teammates.

“I’ve learned so much. I’ll be much more comfortable. I’m excited,” Demby said.

[bangordailynews.com]

oldnotdead

Legend
I think this pretty much shows that they expect him to make the team. With Blythe in a contract year do they allow him to play out his time as the RG starter despite some of his issues last season? Or start the guy they are grooming to take his place now. The advantage to starting him this year is that it means they won't be starting 2 new OG's next year if Blythe isn't retained and Evans moves into LG.

Austin Blythe isn't a bad player and I don't mean to imply that he is. But he has problems playing at OG. Here is what frustrates me about Blythe. At the combine he showed decent movement skills. But during games he's frustratingly inconsistent especially when expected to move to make his blocks. He's either late on his pulls and misses the block or when expected to get to the second level, he misses as many as he blocks. Blocking in space is one of the harder things an offensive lineman must do. When your team likes to run a lot of inside zone, the RG many times will be expected to make a second level block. Blythe struggles at times trying to do it. Too many times yards aren't gained because of that missed block.

Would Demby or Evans be any better? I don't know but I think it's time to see especially if Blythe will be a FA next year. They need to know if he's replaceable and in doing so giving them an upgrade at the position or they need to resign him next year. This is why they needed to give Allen snaps last year so they could make a decision on Sullivan this year. The same thing applies with Blythe.

Personally I think Demby will be an upgrade. He's got the prototype build of an OG.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The advantage to starting him this year is that it means they won't be starting 2 new OG's next year if Blythe isn't retained and Evans moves into LG.

Of course, the disadvantage of starting him is that all three interior linemen are in their first year of starting THIS season. Seems to be a major issue.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course, the disadvantage of starting him is that all three interior linemen are in their first year of starting THIS season. Seems to be a major issue.

Most likely Blythe will stat the season unless someone is overwhelming in training camp, but keep an eye on David Edwards of Wisconsin too. He has the feet and power to be a Guard and I can envision a Badger right side for the Los Angeles Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree here that Kromer would prefer to go with only two new starters than three, thus Blythe stands a very good chance to be the planned starter initially @ RG. Hoping the 3 veteran starters will assist the two new starters. Demby getting work @ center could be Kromer's decision to be ahead of the curve if all the other center prospects do not shine & stick to the master roster the practice squad.

Kromer would be in good enough condition if he ends up with 2nd year center Brian Allen as his starter & 2nd yr starter @ RG Austin Blythe as his top reserve center & then Jamil Demby his #6th OL reserve & his emergency back up center.

Kromer's two top most experienced main back up centers ....the pending suspended 26 yr old Aaron Neary who has been around since Kromer arrived here in LA and Jeremiah Kolone. Kromer has two UDFA's rookie center prospects in Vitas Hrynkiewicz & Brandon Hitner. That's seven possible prospects in TC to have a shot @ center.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I don’t agree at all. As he says it helps him to know all the calls & where everyone is suppose to be. He is like an extra QB in the sense of making the calls by reading the defense.
When I saw Demby last season as a rookie during training camp. He was having trouble just remembering the snap count. The game is going to slow down for him now BIG time !!!
Demby has a little nasty to him & loves to finish his blocks. Zach Kromer was really working with him just keeping his hands in tight. He was also showing how to turn in a tight space to shovel the DL man away from the play.
Your point is well taken , but I think his experience from last season really helps him to become more of a swing guy. Yes if he can’t handle the move then that will totally hurt his chances. I don’t think Kromer or Demby think he won’t be able to learn the position.
Narhing getting busted for peds made this move more available for him.Demby will learn a lot from Brian Allen of all things. There rookie class is close & have a nice bond.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huge fan of Demby, and I'm hoping that he can take to those positions. I trust him over Evans and Edwards, considering that both are rookies. Granted, Demby is arguably a rookie as well, but he's at least spent time in an NFL weight room.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would expect to see both Joseph Noteboom LG & Brian Allen OC to play early in the first two preseason games & then give way to the 2nd tier OLG & OC @ sometime in the 2nd quarter. Not so sure that Austin Blythe will see any action @ OC.
Aaron Neary & Jeremiah Kolone are non rookie back-ups.
I have a different opinion of Jamil Demby's current position value in Kromers OL cadre than you. I see Demby & Neary being the early top two Kromer reserve OL'ers going into TC. During the 2018 preseason JD saw offensive series in four OL positions. If I had a guess as to what side JD will be seen lining up most often I would say Left.

I would agree with you in your assessment on the matter as to JD seeing much practice time or PS game time @ center ...not going to happen. I would expect JD to be the main LT back up early in TC. Where JD ends up playing the most is hard to say but finding a new back up LT to spell our Jurassic Park starting LT for most of TC & preseason is high on the "to do list". @ this time I just do not think that rookie Bobby Evans will be that OL'er.

If its not JD as our top LT reserve, then will have to come from rookie OT's Matt Kaskey or David Edwards. I believe Evans will either be our future starting RG/LG myself. We will need two new starting OG's in 2020 anyway Evans might as well be one of them.

Bottom line here IF Demby is Andrew Whitworth's reserve in TC & preseason then he would be the top reserve OL @ #6. JD has secured himself a solid OL position with the Rams this season & for many more....Understanding that Noteboom is the heir to the starting LT post in 2020 or if there is a major injury. Then there's a very good chance that JD would slide into the starting LG post vacated by Noteboom.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Austin Blythe would be the backup Center if something happens to Allen, Demby would provide depth, if something were to happen to both. I see the Rams carrying 8 Offensive Linemen come September and it's doubtful they would lose both Allen & Blythe, but it's possible. I agree, Demby would have to take snaps at center in preseason, just to get used to the line calls and snapping, as IMO, the biggest issue would be shot gun snaps for lineman not used to playing Center.

Again IMO, Demby is smart and he could step in at Center in an emergency would be an asset and with Allen & Blythe the Rams have two Centers on the roster, Demby is providing insurance to finish the game, if they lost both guys.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Very nice discussion in this OL thread.

All I’m sure about is two things, really.

1. This will sort itself out through camp and preseason games.

2. Rams, and Kromer, have lots of options to experiment with. Good options, too, IMO.

I intend to enjoy the knock down, drag out battles for starters, depth, and even roster spots. Whew!

Ram65

Legend
Rams will be playing musical chairs should injures on the offensive line occur. Noteboom backs up Whitworth. Blythe backs up Allen which creates an opening at OG. The rookies Evans, Edwards and Demby battling it out for next up at OG and wherever there is a need. Demby has to do whatever he can to help the Rams. Learning OC gives him a plus mark to stay on the roster to be ready in case of an emergency. Being able to play OG. OT and OC makes him very valuable. It's well worth giving him some snaps in preseason to see what he can do.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demby has got to show more than he did last TC. Going to keep a close eye on the OL this TC, a lot riding on them this coming season.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams carry only 8 oline on their roster but also carry 1 or 2 on the PS which acts as their ready reserve for injuries.

Right now the top 8 on the roster for OL are (obviously the position after the / is their secondary):

Whitworth LT
Noteboom LG/OT
Allen C
Blythe RG/C
Havenstein RT
Evans OG/OT
Demby OG/C/RT
Evans OT

As I've been saying IMO Blythe's starting position is potentially open. I've been watching the Ram game re-plays from last year and in each game I've seen I've seen at least one blown blocking assignment by Blythe, with some accounting for lost yardage. If anyone caught the replay of the Rams home against Seattle at the end of the game when the Rams are trying to run out the clock there is a perfect example of what I've been railing about. It's a outside run, Blythe chip blocks a dlineman then runs off to block no one. It's there in camera that there is no one in the secondary for him to block. Worst of all the guy he chip block makes the tackle for a loss. I was literally WTF!! even though I saw it at the time it happened last season and had the same reaction. He did it again in the playoff game against NO. It's clear he simply doesn't get the scheme.

He's making $2M a year this season with no dead cap. He's an UFA next year. He's a decent player as a backup but he's no starter that much is obvious. If I a simple fan can see it I'm sure the coaches do as well. He started last year because they had no option.

They can't say that this year. Personally I'd like them to keep Vitas Hrynkiewicz who can play both center and guard. He's 6'4" with decent 32" arm length and a good 300 lbs. What I like about him is that he shows good movement. A center and RG in this scheme needs to have good feet as both are expected to make second level blocks. He's got decent strength and work ethic. He fits the traits they seem to look for in their OL and legitimately can play both OG and C positions.

If Vitas and Demby look good in TC and pre-season its going to be an interesting competition for that last oline roster spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would expect to see both Joseph Noteboom LG & Brian Allen OC to play early in the first two preseason games & then give way to the 2nd tier OLG & OC @ sometime in the 2nd quarter. Not so sure that Austin Blythe will see any action @ OC.
Aaron Neary & Jeremiah Kolone are non rookie back-ups.
I have a different opinion of Jamil Demby's current position value in Kromers OL cadre than you. I see Demby & Neary being the early top two Kromer reserve OL'ers going into TC. During the 2018 preseason JD saw offensive series in four OL positions. If I had a guess as to what side JD will be seen lining up most often I would say Left.

I would agree with you in your assessment on the matter as to JD seeing much practice time or PS game time @ center ...not going to happen. I would expect JD to be the main LT back up early in TC. Where JD ends up playing the most is hard to say but finding a new back up LT to spell our Jurassic Park starting LT for most of TC & preseason is high on the "to do list". @ this time I just do not think that rookie Bobby Evans will be that OL'er.

If its not JD as our top LT reserve, then will have to come from rookie OT's Matt Kaskey or David Edwards. I believe Evans will either be our future starting RG/LG myself. We will need two new starting OG's in 2020 anyway Evans might as well be one of them.

Bottom line here IF Demby is Andrew Whitworth's reserve in TC & preseason then he would be the top reserve OL @ #6. JD has secured himself a solid OL position with the Rams this season & for many more....Understanding that Noteboom is the heir to the starting LT post in 2020 or if there is a major injury. Then there's a very good chance that JD would slide into the starting LG post vacated by Noteboom.

Good call all around. Neary getting busted actually might be a benefit.Especially if he add a couple pounds of bulk he might other wise not have been able to achieve.
The 4 games gives protection in case there is a need later in the season.He seriously improved between year 2 and 3. Last season in training camp he looked better than Allen.Of course Brian Allen was raw and has just kept improving.
Bobby Evens seems like he is going to be a solid LG , but could be better at LT than RG ?? I have no clue though as of right now though. That is just my draft report. I’ll know more soon.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
........ I see the Rams carrying 8 Offensive Linemen come September ........
I differ from the standard ROD premise on the above number. I see the 2019 OL cadre much differently than what Kromer had for the first two seasons 2017/2018. I believe the OL unit will have more roster positions assigned to it. If your interested on why I have this differing position & where I believe there will be a change in the OL roster numbers from the past seasons ..... My detailed reasoning follows...yep its long....

Going back to the beginning of the Snead/ McVay/ Wade/ Kromer, the OL was a different both initially in 2017 & for 2018 seasons. 2017 OL underwent vast improvement when they added two outstanding veteran LT Whitworth & OC Sullivan to bring stability & veteran leadership to much younger starters LG Roger Saffold, RT Rob Havenstein, RG Jamon Brown with active young reserves, #6th OL'ers Austin Blythe, OT's Darrell Williams & Cornelius Lucas & OC/LG Aaron Neary.

The newly refurbished 2017 starting OL proved to be the strongest offensive unit of the five offensive units {QB/RB/WR/TE/OL} Rams went with 8 OL'ers until late in the season when Neary was activated to start when they went with 9 OL'ers all the way into the playoffs. The loss in the playoffs was due to the Defensive line inability to stop the run.

2018 the OL had the same outstanding OL return. The hiccup came when starting RG Jamon Brown was suspended for the 1st 4 gms. The 2017 6th OL'er stepped into the void. Austin Blythe became the new starting RG. Blythe proved to be positive improvement ....much more consistent & a better pass blocker than Brown. Kromer went with 2 active versatile reserve rookie OL'ers along with former starter Brown for total of 8 signed OL'ers.

The early 2018 PS contained three OL'ers...interior OL'ers Aaron Neary & veteran Evan Boehn plus OG Jeremiah Kolone. Boehn was claimed & Kolone was wavered for the needed OLB's. OL'er JJ Dielman was added when Jamon Brown was waived. During this time period the OL was dominating & remained healthy. Kromer went with 7 active :cautious:OL'ers & 2 PS OL'ers.

Over the last quarter of the 2018 the OL began to developed leaks & weak spots. It was during this time Rookie OL Jamil Demby was added to the roster. Total of 8 OL'ers with 2 OL'ers on the PS (Neary/ Dielman). The 8 player OL, plus 2=10 still remained together. By this time both Noteboom & Allen had proven capable enough if the need arose. So Kromer rode this 8 OL'er cadre right into February 2019 to the SB. IMO the SB loss was mainly due to a OL that gave a weak overall performance.

OC Sullivan & RG Blythe failed BIG. Whitworth turned in his worse 2018 season performance. AW permitted the ER to constantly harass & rattle Goff from the blind side in conjunction with the constant pressure coming from up the middle was deadly to our passing offense. I am sure that one of the reasons AW did not retire as expected was due to his SB performance.

Moving to this season Kromer's OL will undergo some changes. #1- He lost his best 2018 performing OL'er @ LG Saffold to free agency. #2.- will insert a 2nd season LT into the LG starting post. #3.- He will insert a 2nd season center to start ....neither have ever started an NFL game in place of the two veterans. #4.- Same well aged LT & RG who started in the SB are set to start once again. Another very big element to consider here is the QB/ RB/ TE & WR units have better offensive proven talent than the previous 2017 & 2018 seasons.

Question I would ask .....where on this 2019 overall Offensive Unit is there a need to consider beefing up or run a bit thicker numbers in valuable master roster positions?

My point here is this present 2019 OL situation is much different from the past 2 seasons when Kromer was comfortable going with only 8 OL'ers on the master roster. Fact ...this 2019 OL is lacking proven talent in the OL reserves ranks & that's not that unusual for Kromer but now it's in the starting positions too. This was not the case during the 2017 & 2018 seasons. The Aaron Neary suspension looks to be a positive hidden nugget too.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This was not the case during the 2017 & 2018 seasons. The Aaron Neary suspension looks to be a positive hidden nugget too.

Points well taken and I could see the Rams adding a veteran that might get released, but that rarely happens (at least anyone good) and according to your premise the Rams might carry an extra offensive lineman because of the inexperience of the line overall, however, if they carry 9, the 9th lineman will be and UDRFA with even less experience then Noteboom, Allen & Demby.

IMO, unless the likes of Brandon Hitner or Vitas Hrynkiewicz for example wows them, I'm not sure they keep 9 and if they keep 9, then somebody with experience at Center one would surmise would be at a premium. It happen when the Colts released Blythe, so it could happen again and I have high hopes for Hitner and you have hope for Hrynkiewicz, but again both would be coming with not only limited experience, but their college careers being at lesser programs at Villanova & Youngstown State respectively.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Points well taken and I could see the Rams adding a veteran that might get released, but that rarely happens (at least anyone good) and according to your premise the Rams might carry an extra offensive lineman because of the inexperience of the line overall, however, if they carry 9, the 9th lineman will be and UDRFA with even less experience then Noteboom, Allen & Demby.

IMO, unless the likes of Brandon Hitner or Vitas Hrynkiewicz for example wows them, I'm not sure they keep 9 and if they keep 9, then somebody with experience at Center one would surmise would be at a premium. It happen when the Colts released Blythe, so it could happen again and I have high hopes for Hitner and you have hope for Hrynkiewicz, but again both would be coming with not only limited experience, but their college careers being at lesser programs at Villanova & Youngstown State respectively.

Come on Coach - This is not the Fisher days.
Kromer came into The Rams with nothing. He has built this team from ground almost zero.

One thing I have done is follow Athe Rams offensive line.
1. No Vet ( why ? ) signing
2. Kromer is a teacher of men.
3. Kromer trust his lineman to stay healthy.
4. Kromer with The Rams has always kept a small amount of O’lineman,even cutting Demby.
5. Kromer was not afraid to trade Greg Robinson.
6. Kromer loves to cross train.
7.Kroner was not afraid to start Blythe.
8. Kromer was not afraid to cut Brown
9.Kromer was the one who helped The Rams draft Everett & John Johnson.
10. Kromer trust Brian Allen at center.Dude is experienced beyond his age.Goes back to Sullivan getting released.

BTW- NFL channel has Rams game on Sunday. Sullivan just reached & extended his arms.On that same series on 3rd & long McVay called a draw to Gurley. Withworth totally got Gurley smashed by not blocking. I’m sure after how ever many of years in the NFL,he learned something. Maybe that was why all of a sudden he was thinking about retiring. Ge takes pride at being one of the best,& wants to leave this game that way.