Mailbag: Do Rams have any big moves left before training camp?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Do Rams have any big moves left before training camp?
By Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-have-any-big-moves-left-before-training-camp

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason program is officially over and the St. Louis Rams now head off into the dead period before training camp.

Rookies report on July 27 and the rest of the team on July 29. In the meantime, we still have plenty to talk about, including the team's interest in re-signing quarterback Nick Foles and other potential roster moves.

Michael Mann @UnholySpire
Think the rams might make another big move before the season? Trade. Cut.

@nwagoner: Coach Jeff Fisher was asked if the Rams had any moves up their sleeve, particularly when it comes to veteran offensive linemen and he said the team is always looking at possibilities. But when it comes to making a trade or a surprising cut, I'm not sure I see anything big in the offing. The Rams made plenty of big moves this offseason, though, so I suppose we can't rule it out. I will say, and have been saying for a while, that it wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams did some re-signing of key players before the season. If that counts, then yes, there might be some more big moves coming. It's clear that quarterback Nick Foles is one of those potential targets but they have a handful of other pending free agents they have interest in getting long-term deals done with. Some names I'd keep an eye on in that regard include Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod.

Brian Moran @TeddyMoran
Why draft Mannion if he can't be back up QB this year? Could have taken a project QB with more potential?

@nwagoner: Theoretically Mannion could develop into a backup this year but why rush it if you have options in Austin Davis and Case Keenum that you believe can get the job done? Look, there simply weren't many quarterbacks in this draft that were going to be ready to contribute this year in any capacity after you got past Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. Davis and Keenum have starting experience and have won games in the league. The Rams drafted Mannion in part because they believe he's less of a project than many of the guys taken after him. So I'm not sure I really understand the second part of the question. They think Mannion has potential but needs time to develop. Anyone taken after him would have been more of a project but they probably didn't think there was more potential. These days, just about any quarterback taken later than the early part of the second round is going to take time to develop (with a few rare exceptions).

Adam Gingrich @adam_gingrich
How does Greg Robinson compare to Jason Smith going into year 2

@nwagoner: There's really no comparison to be made other than that they both play offensive tackle and they were both former No. 2 overall picks. I certainly understand the apprehension about Robinson because Smith was such a whiff and Robinson was and is still considered a player in development. But Robinson started 12 games last year and though he had some bumps along the way, he also had some good moments, too. Perhaps more good moments in those 12 games than Smith had in his career. And though Robinson had offseason toe surgery, he also proved durable enough to get through the part of the season in which he was the starter. More than anything, however, the biggest difference between the two players is the one that should help alleviate some fears is that Robinson is really committed to football and trying to become great at it. I never got that same sense from Smith.

Luiz Maia @LuizMaia12
How fair would be to judge foles with just 1yr on his belt with Rams offense? Isn't a tricky situation?

@nwagoner: Well, the Rams apparently feel comfortable judging Foles on even less than a year so fair or not, that appears to be how they're going to handle their business. To me, it looks pretty clear that they think getting something done now might result in landing him at a little bit of a discount. And by discount, think Andy Dalton or Alex Smith type of deal instead of something a little richer. The cost of an average starter in the NFL is still something in the range of $15-17 million annually. So that's probably where they're hoping to get Foles locked in. I can understand both sides of the argument. On one hand, you want to lock him up at a reasonable rate. On the other, he hasn't proved himself in St. Louis yet. It's a fine line to walk but it also offers evidence that the scariest thing for a team to deal with is the possibility of not having a capable starting quarterback at all.

Brandon Evans @s0diplomatic
Is it safe to say EJ Gaines has taken the job as the number 2 corner away from Johnson? Tru was coming around before injury

@nwagoner: As I've written a bunch of times here, my hunch is that Gaines is going to win that job. Again, that doesn't mean it's set in stone or done by any means. But Gaines was probably the team's most consistent corner in 2014 and if you want to look even bigger picture, Johnson is a free agent after the season so in some ways you can start planning for the future by plugging Gaines in that role now. Of course things can change with injuries and Johnson might emerge in the preseason but my belief is still that Gaines will ultimately emerge with that No. 2 job. And again, it's worth monitoring what the Rams do in the nickel.

Alan

Legend
Two points:

He makes a good point when he talks about extending some of our players (not counting Foles) this year. I understand we'll have about $6M left after signing some PS players and they'll probably put aside $1.5M (that's a figure they've already stated they would like to keep in reserve). It would make sense, if they don't plan on signing Mathis or someone else of his ilk, to use some of that money this year or it will just go to waste.

Although I believe the CBA allows a team to carry forward some of their unspent CAP money ($3M?)to the next year but my point remains the same even if the amount we're talking about is smaller.

My second point is this:

"@nwagoner: Well, the Rams apparently feel comfortable judging Foles on even less than a year so fair or not, that appears to be how they're going to handle their business. To me, it looks pretty clear that they think getting something done now might result in landing him at a little bit of a discount. And by discount, think Andy Dalton or Alex Smith type of deal instead of something a little richer. The cost of an average starter in the NFL is still something in the range of $15-17 million annually. So that's probably where they're hoping to get Foles locked in. I can understand both sides of the argument. On one hand, you want to lock him up at a reasonable rate. On the other, he hasn't proved himself in St. Louis yet. It's a fine line to walk but it also offers evidence that the scariest thing for a team to deal with is the possibility of not having a capable starting quarterback at all."

Tell me he didn't steal this almost verbatim from the ROD. :eek: :LOL:

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Barring injury no moves left, they will roll with the youngsters on the right side with Havenstein & Brown and I'm going all in on Barrett Jones, if he stays healthy, he will start at center come September morn because Jeff Fisher factors in the ability to make the proper line calls and adjustments and I have a feeling Jones will set himself apart from Barnes & Rhaney from that prospective as long as he can handle the physical demands of the position.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Adam Gingrich @adam_gingrich
How does Greg Robinson compare to Jason Smith going into year 2

@nwagoner: There's really no comparison to be made other than that they both play offensive tackle and they were both former No. 2 overall picks. I certainly understand the apprehension about Robinson because Smith was such a whiff and Robinson was and is still considered a player in development. But Robinson started 12 games last year and though he had some bumps along the way, he also had some good moments, too. Perhaps more good moments in those 12 games than Smith had in his career. And though Robinson had offseason toe surgery, he also proved durable enough to get through the part of the season in which he was the starter. More than anything, however, the biggest difference between the two players is the one that should help alleviate some fears is that Robinson is really committed to football and trying to become great at it. I never got that same sense from Smith.

This question infuriates me. It shows how fundamentally unaware the questioner is/was. ( Either that. or dumb@ss stupid!) I will assume (charitably) that he is not afraid of showing his ignorannce....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This question infuriates me. It shows how fundamentally unaware the questioner is/was. ( Either that. or dumb@ss stupid!) I will assume (charitably) that he is not afraid of showing his ignorannce....

After this year you won't have to deal with the question any longer!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wouldn't be a big move, but I'd guess that the team would bring in another DT to take some of those training camp/late preseason game reps.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I want to slap the person who compared Greg Robinson with Jason Smith! Did he not see Robison man handle some of the teams' d-line men?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I want to slap the person who compared Greg Robinson with Jason Smith! Did he not see Robison man handle some of the teams' d-line men?
We saw more good from Robinson in his first rookie game than we ever saw from all the Ram yrs having to deal in agony with Jason Smith's horrendous play.

fearsomefour

Legend
Javier Arenas CB or Terell Brown CB....want a vet type CB.
Certainly not a "big" move but a move along these lines for a guy who can take reps in camp and maybe be a solid vet presence in a group, be that DBs, RBs or whatever. I could see a signing like that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Javier Arenas CB or Terell Brown CB....want a vet type CB.
Certainly not a "big" move but a move along these lines for a guy who can take reps in camp and maybe be a solid vet presence in a group, be that DBs, RBs or whatever. I could see a signing like that.

Strongly disagree about adding a vet at CB or RB as a "steadying influence", fearsome.

Jenkins and Tru are entering their 4th seasons. They ARE seasoned vets. And Gaines didn't exactly play like a rookie, either.

And RB's generally can hit the deck running (pun intended). They certainly don't need a steadying vet presence. Besides, what FA at RB is gonna get snaps with Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham ahead of him?

Now OL, that might be a different discussion.

fearsomefour

Legend
Strongly disagree about adding a vet at CB or RB as a "steadying influence", fearsome.

Jenkins and Tru are entering their 4th seasons. They ARE seasoned vets. And Gaines didn't exactly play like a rookie, either.

And RB's generally can hit the deck running (pun intended). They certainly don't need a steadying vet presence. Besides, what FA at RB is gonna get snaps with Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham ahead of him?

Now OL, that might be a different discussion.
Yeah, you may very well be right.
The RB would really be to take reps. A CB I could see them adding as a depth guy. A vet guy who isn't going to be green or cause issues as a 5th CB depth guy....I could see that.
OL I could see as well. However, with so many lineman in camp now I would think a signing along the Oline would be a guy to compete for a starting job and I don't know that there are any guys left out in FA that would fit that billing. I could see something at LB maybe as well.
As for the D backfield, that was sort of the weakness of the D for stretches last year. That is why it would make sense to me to going shopping for some extra depth there on the cheap.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, you may very well be right.
The RB would really be to take reps. A CB I could see them adding as a depth guy. A vet guy who isn't going to be green or cause issues as a 5th CB depth guy....I could see that.
OL I could see as well. However, with so many lineman in camp now I would think a signing along the Oline would be a guy to compete for a starting job and I don't know that there are any guys left out in FA that would fit that billing. I could see something at LB maybe as well.
As for the D backfield, that was sort of the weakness of the D for stretches last year. That is why it would make sense to me to going shopping for some extra depth there on the cheap.

Don't think we need a vet in secondary for depth, either, fearsome.

We're 5 deep at CB without counting McGee.

We're at least 5 deep at S.

And that's if no UDFA makes the 53.

Who needs a pricey vet in our secondary to gobble up cap dollars and take away reps from the youngsters?

fearsomefour

Legend
Don't think we need a vet in secondary for depth, either, fearsome.

We're 5 deep at CB without counting McGee.

We're at least 5 deep at S.

And that's if no UDFA makes the 53.

Who needs a pricey vet in our secondary to gobble up cap dollars and take away reps from the youngsters?
yeah, i hear ya.
Depends how many they are keeping. The guys out there now would not cost a lot. LB depth and secondary play are the weaker parts of our D. Bringing in a guy to shore up a spot there makes sense to me. But what you are saying is true as well. Hardly a glaring need.
As for the O line the situation there is similar to the D backfield. You have two guys with meaningful experience....Saffold and Reynolds....and then a bunch of youth. There are enough bodies on the O line it makes less to me to bring a guy in there.