Loyalty was key for Fisher in OC search/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Loyalty was key for Fisher in OC search
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5f73bc36-da5d-5282-a0c6-dc3da462ea95.html

After Brian Schottenheimer decided to head south to the Georgia Bulldogs, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said there was “no doubt in my mind that I had his replacement on the staff.”

Why, then, did it take more than a month for Fisher to formally introduce Frank Cignetti as the team’s offensive coordinator?

“I think you’re rewarded for patience,” Fisher said.

He used the hiring of running backs coach Ben Sirmans to illustrate his point.

“I think we have an outstanding running backs coach in Ben, and we interviewed eight different coaches before we hired Ben three years ago,” Fisher said.

That was 2012, Fisher’s first Rams staff. Sirmans wasn’t hired until March 2012.

“Through the process, often times, different opportunities come up,” Fisher said.

In other words, he never has been one to rush into staff hires. And with rare exception, Fisher is very loyal to his assistants once they get hired.

This time around, Fisher said he only had one formal interview with an outside candidate. That was former Buffalo offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

A second interview was scheduled with Hackett during Super Bowl week.

By that time, Fisher was firmly committed to going in-house, meaning the second interview with Hackett was for either the Rams’ quarterbacks or tight-ends coaching job. (Depending on whether Fisher promoted Cignetti from QBs coach or tight ends coach Rob Boras to offensive coordinator.)

Hackett decided instead to follow Doug Marrone, who was his head coach in Buffalo, to Jacksonville as quarterbacks coach. Marrone is assistant head coach/offensive line coach for the Jaguars.

Fisher said he talked to a couple of other candidates on the phone (a group that included Kyle Shanahan, who ended up as Atlanta’s offensive coordinator, and Adam Gase, who ended up with that position for Chicago).

Alex Van Pelt and Rob Chudzinski might have gotten interviews with Fisher, but Green Bay (in the case off Van Pelt) and Indianapolis (Chudzinski) denied interview requests by the Rams.

But in the end, Fisher wanted to stay with his overall offensive philosophy. Stability and continuity were very important to him.

“Your terminology, your run-game philosophy, your game-calling philosophy, the understanding of your philosophy — it’s ingrained in you,” Fisher said. “From an organizational standpoint, I didn’t want to change any of that ... I just wanted to get better.

“I knew that this staff was qualified to do that. We just needed some new leadership, and that’s what we have.”

Perhaps with that in mind, Cignettii emphasized leadership and motivation as characteristics he brings to the coordinator’s job at his introductory news conference on Friday.

In his two interviews or “meetings” with Fisher, Cignetti stressed those points.

“I wanted to be the coordinator because I love to lead,” he said. “I love to try to bring a group of men together, coaches and players, and try to make it something great. To go from good to great.”

Obviously, calling the Rams’ offense good last year — or in any of the three years with Schottenheimer as coordinator — would be stretching it. The Rams finished 21st in points per game in 2014, 28th in total offense, 20th in rushing offense and 23rd in passing offense. But Cignetti’s overall point is that he relishes the challenge and the opportunity of trying to improve the offense.

“As coach (Fisher) and I sat down in our two meetings, I think what happened was we got to know each other better,” Cignetti said. “Coach asked great questions. I was very comfortable in both meetings, and if anything, it just built our relationship.

“That’s the other thing that’s important in the leadership role is that you’ve got to care about people and build trusting relationships. I think through our process, that’s what happened. We got to know each other better.”

Cignetti, 49, said the core of his philosophy as a coordinator is the ability to run the football. This should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with Fisher’s track record as a head coach. He wasn’t going to hire a coordinator who planned to throw the ball 50 times a game.

“I believe in running the football,” Cignetti said. “You run the ball to win. The quarterback’s best friend is running the football. But you also have to be flexible enough to do whatever it’s gonna take to win a game.”

To Cignetti, it’s more about players (and maximizing their strengths), than play-calling. And doing whatever you can to get the ball in your playmakers’ hands.

Of course, just about every offensive coordinator says he will mold his philosophy to the particular strength of his players. Often that turns out to be little more than lip service.

There is at least some evidence in Cignetti’s past that he has that flexibility. At Fresno State, for example, he had run-heavy teams that were successful and had pass-heavy teams as well.

“When you have a guy like (wide receiver) Bernard Berrian, who was one of the best college football players, you want to get the ball in his hands,” Cignetti said. “Because you can throw him a little bubble screen and it might end up in the end zone. So you take a look at your personnel and how can you take advantage of their abilities. That’s just a quick example.”

On the subject of playmakers, Cignetti made it clear he plans to get Tavon Austin involved more in the offense. We’ve heard that before.

But Cignetti said he already has had discussions with wide receivers coach Ray Sherman and the rest of the offensive staff on that topic.

“Tavon Austin is an outstanding football player,” Cignetti said. “I saw him here (last) week. I’m fired up to get working with him.

“As coach Fisher and I sat down, it was: Hey, you think players, not plays. Especially in tough situations. Tavon Austin’s a playmaker.”

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think it's a good philosophy, philosophically speaking. (The more important issue though is OL and QB. Without those positions solidified it doesn't matter much who our OC is.)

The other alternative is bringing in a "Chip Kelly type" offense and a mobile QB, but I don't see Fisher risking his career on that.

If we are really building a "Steelers' type" organization, where we promote from within, this makes sense.

It all comes down to W-L's though so we shall see...

Fingers crossed.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Two things

They couldn't have met over the last two years on how to make Austin a part of this offense? Did Schotty not do that?

I'm actually concerned that we will get our continuity. Let's hope it was just the playcalling. Otherwise, it's going to look like groundhogs day on the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Two things

They couldn't have met over the last two years on how to make Austin a part of this offense? Did Schotty not do that?

I'm actually concerned that we will get our continuity. Let's hope it was just the playcalling. Otherwise, it's going to look like groundhogs day on the offense.

Fish said a lot in that press conference, in his own way. With him you need to read between the lines. I'm gonna try to do that here and I'm not gonna act like I know all the following just spitballing here.

First gotta consider his comments on Sam and the OC. He said that Sam had very strong opinions on the hire, which means Sam wanted Cigs over Boras and was probably adamant about it. This probably explains the "surprise" of Boras not getting the job, because Fish probably did favor him as the new OC based on last year's rumors and Sam's opinion weighed that heavily with him. Going a bit further, from that perspective I believe it is likely that Sam had much to do with Fish's strategizing over where the offense had its biggest issues, i.e. too complicated in terminology and too simplistic to opponents. When you add Cigs' comment on him not being as hands-on with the QB it tells me that Cigs felt he wasn't allowed to do his job to the fullest. Continuing down that logic path it is possible that Sam and Cigs were both in their own ways irritated by Schotty and might have been of the same mind over the past couple years on what they wanted to do but couldn't with him in charge. This is explained by the above in my opinion.

Second, Fish's continued references to wanting to get better, and that he had the talent on staff to do that tells me that Schotty's departure was probably due to Fish telling him they were going to simplify terminology and start doing a better job in appearing more complicated to defend. I suspect Schotty did not want to be a part of open season on "his" particular brand of the Coryell offense terminology, and simply chose to get out instead of doing that.

Third, while it is common to hear a new OC talk about using weapons, I think the way it was discussed might clue us in to a prevailing opinion among the staff that they didn't do a good job of that. I don't see that as a stretch personally. So in answer to the above question on using Austin right before now, maybe that was part of the issues that were behind the scenes and not just with Austin either. Maybe those types of opinions included usage of other weapons as well, granted we'll never know for sure.

Last but not least I don't think Schotty's issue was the playcalling. I think it went deeper. I believe his scheming failed to consistently predict what defenses were going to try to do, to include foreseeing their in-game adjustments and being ready to counter them which brought us those third quarter failings. Also I don't think he prepared the players to a high level like the best OC's do, where they have a deep understanding of what they're trying to do during a given week, i.e. he wasn't a great teacher. Lastly, I think he lacked creativity to have sufficient new material up his sleeve for critical portions of games when you need to convert that first down or get a score.

Drawing a lot of conlusions there, I know. But I do think a lot of those things are possible if not likely.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Coaches aren't always completely forthcoming and it is often in their best interest to be less than earnest. I for one believe the rumours of a late night call to Gase offering him just about anything to join the Rams in lieu of his decision to become a Bear.
From there the search kind of spiraled out of his control a bit.
JMO
Either way I am behind coach C and hope for the best

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fish said a lot in that press conference, in his own way. With him you need to read between the lines. I'm gonna try to do that here and I'm not gonna act like I know all the following just spitballing here.

First gotta consider his comments on Sam and the OC. He said that Sam had very strong opinions on the hire, which means Sam wanted Cigs over Boras and was probably adamant about it. This probably explains the "surprise" of Boras not getting the job, because Fish probably did favor him as the new OC based on last year's rumors and Sam's opinion weighed that heavily with him. Going a bit further, from that perspective I believe it is likely that Sam had much to do with Fish's strategizing over where the offense had its biggest issues, i.e. too complicated in terminology and too simplistic to opponents. When you add Cigs' comment on him not being as hands-on with the QB it tells me that Cigs felt he wasn't allowed to do his job to the fullest. Continuing down that logic path it is possible that Sam and Cigs were both in their own ways irritated by Schotty and might have been of the same mind over the past couple years on what they wanted to do but couldn't with him in charge. This is explained by the above in my opinion.

Second, Fish's continued references to wanting to get better, and that he had the talent on staff to do that tells me that Schotty's departure was probably due to Fish telling him they were going to simplify terminology and start doing a better job in appearing more complicated to defend. I suspect Schotty did not want to be a part of open season on "his" particular brand of the Coryell offense terminology, and simply chose to get out instead of doing that.

Third, while it is common to hear a new OC talk about using weapons, I think the way it was discussed might clue us in to a prevailing opinion among the staff that they didn't do a good job of that. I don't see that as a stretch personally. So in answer to the above question on using Austin right before now, maybe that was part of the issues that were behind the scenes and not just with Austin either. Maybe those types of opinions included usage of other weapons as well, granted we'll never know for sure.

Last but not least I don't think Schotty's issue was the playcalling. I think it went deeper. I believe his scheming failed to consistently predict what defenses were going to try to do, to include foreseeing their in-game adjustments and being ready to counter them which brought us those third quarter failings. Also I don't think he prepared the players to a high level like the best OC's do, where they have a deep understanding of what they're trying to do during a given week, i.e. he wasn't a great teacher. Lastly, I think he lacked creativity to have sufficient new material up his sleeve for critical portions of games when you need to convert that first down or get a score.

Drawing a lot of conlusions there, I know. But I do think a lot of those things are possible if not likely.

I also got a sense of Schotty being hurled under the bus, but I thought it was just me.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Good post Merlin.
Calling someone out when they are not doing the job is not throwing them under the bus. Let me sum it up. Shottenheimer sucked as the Rams OC, period.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Good post Merlin.
Calling someone out when they are not doing the job is not throwing them under the bus. Let me sum it up. Shottenheimer sucked as the Rams OC, period.
I definitely don't think Schotty was the best in the business, but I also don't think he had free reign to run his offense the way he wanted to. If I ever had any complaints about Fish it's that he gets too involved sometimes.
I hope we have the right OC in place now, having a winning season is a must.