Looking for a good Chili recipe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I've been making the same one for years.
Ground turkey, red kidney beans, refried beans, tomato sauce , chIle powder, onion are the main ingredients .
Looking for something different for the Super Bowl .

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Chili recipes are treated like Top Secret military projects by those who enter chili cook-offs. It's way more serious than I ever imagined.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Use beef.

Your welcome.

I’ll elaborate on that.... my typical chili would include two pounds of hamburger, half pound of pork sausage and one pound of inexpensive steak cut like round steak.

Or, I can grill steak with enough left over for some chili.

I’ve also been smoking brisket and adding one pound of that to my chili in place of steak.

Great smoky flavor-add.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@Hey Man

So I made my secret chili recipe yesterday. I don't use beef in mine... I use 6 large grilled chicken breasts and 4 grilled pork tenderloins for the meat. Figured that might give you some ideas since I keep all my recipes to myself. I actually won a chili cook-off with mine.

My recipe makes enough chili to feed over 20 people, and I love that because it's great to freeze some and pop it out for a quick dinner later on down the road. It takes me about 10 hours to make mine if I'm not cutting any corners.

I was extra inspired to make mine yesterday because our Whole Foods just got in some fresh cherry peppers (some call them cherry bombs). I usually only have jalapeno, pablano, and habanero peppers in the pot... but since these cherries were available I wanted to add some of these in as well. They are actually my favorite pepper. We get them all the time on our pizza... but they aren't easy to find... especially fresh like this. I bought all that Whole Foods had left and I wish they would have had more.

Here's a shot of me adding in the cherries. My chili was a long way from being done at this point. Man it was great... I'm going to eat some here in a little while. I think it's even better on the second day.

IMG_20190304_094944_753.jpg

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Here you go. I don't care. No matter how you make, it won't taste the same as mine. I do use Turkey. Turkey makes it a lighter chili and I have yet to have anyone complain.

Cincinnati Chili

1 Tblspn Olive oil

2 Medium Onions

4 Cloves of Garlic (crushed)

2 Pounds lean ground beef (or turkey)

4 cups beef broth

1 15oz can of tomato sauce

1 Tspn ground allspice

2 Tblspnchili powder

½ Tspn Cayenne pepper

1 Tspn Ground cumin

Flour or corn starch

1 Bay leaf

¼ Tspn ground cloves

2 Tblspn White vinegar

½ oz of un-sweetened Chocolate

1 Can of red kidney beans

Sweat onions and garlic in olive oil.

Cook meat until brown.

Add onions, garlic, meat, broth, tomato sauce and allspice. Simmer ½ hour.

Mix chili powder, cumin and cayenne separately.

Add chili powder mix to taste.

Simmer 3 hours.

Add bay leaf, ground cloves and chocolate and beans.

And flour or corn starch to thicken and simmer for 1 hour stirring on a regular basis.

Once you add the chocolate turn heat to lowest setting, and stir every few minutes. The chocolate makes it easy to burn on the bottom. If you burn it, the whole batch will taste “burned”.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Here you go. I don't care. No matter how you make, it won't taste the same as mine. I do use Turkey. Turkey makes it a lighter chili and I have yet to have anyone complain.

Cincinnati Chili

1 Tblspn Olive oil

2 Medium Onions

4 Cloves of Garlic (crushed)

2 Pounds lean ground beef (or turkey)

4 cups beef broth

1 15oz can of tomato sauce

1 Tspn ground allspice

2 Tblspnchili powder

½ Tspn Cayenne pepper

1 Tspn Ground cumin

Flour or corn starch

1 Bay leaf

¼ Tspn ground cloves

2 Tblspn White vinegar

½ oz of un-sweetened Chocolate

1 Can of red kidney beans

Sweat onions and garlic in olive oil.

Cook meat until brown.

Add onions, garlic, meat, broth, tomato sauce and allspice. Simmer ½ hour.

Mix chili powder, cumin and cayenne separately.

Add chili powder mix to taste.

Simmer 3 hours.

Add bay leaf, ground cloves and chocolate and beans.

And flour or corn starch to thicken and simmer for 1 hour stirring on a regular basis.

Once you add the chocolate turn heat to lowest setting, and stir every few minutes. The chocolate makes it easy to burn on the bottom. If you burn it, the whole batch will taste “burned”.
I was expecting cinnamon for Cincy chili. Addition of allspice and cloves are interesting. That recipe has much of what a seafood gumbo has sans chocolate.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I never cook chili by a recipe. I have staples that I will have in every batch, but I like to mix things up when I make it. I will say that Montreal steak seasoning makes it in most batches though. Never turkey. Ground chicken is so much better IMO. Usually though, it is ground beef, sweet Italian sausage and stripped or cubed marinated flank steak. Damn...... Now I want chili...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The special ingredient I like to add is; Johnsonville brats

Just de-skin them and cook like ground beef.

Excellent.