Looking at how to improve the offense in the draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
First off, I wanna say that this doesnt mean I gave up on the season and am looking forward to the draft. I enjoy looking ahead and talking about the draft anytime.

Im not gonna talk about our draft slots and which specific players we have a shot at because that will still change.

Right now, we know we should add more to the OL, and we should definitely be looking at another WR. I think we have to add at least 2 RBs. One of them built to be an every-down back, and the other can be a speedy 3rd down guy. Im not basing this off of our poor effort to run the ball yesterday I look at our entire season and believe that when you have issues with the OL, problems at WR, the best way to help cover them up is by running the ball. Thats what teams like the Bears and Broncos have done. Im not saying we have to become a run-first team because McD changes his gameplan every week and he wants to attack the defenses weakness. Im suggesting that we load up improving the run game via the draft and FA signings. I wouldnt mind seeing us go into games saying "this is our strength, try and stop it." Our offense still lacks a consistent identity. This season, SJ has been our identity when hes healthy and running hard. Last year, it was the dink and dunk offense.

We have a few pieces in place. We have shown that we can control the LOS in the run game at times this season, and we have SJ. I think we should add to that. I know SJ is a workhorse back and he needs plenty of touches and can get better as the game rolls along. I wanna see games where he could be stopped but his backups come in and the running game doesnt miss a beat. Are there gonna be times where the running game does get stopped? Yes, but I think the longer we can protect the OL and Bradford the better they can get. Thats what the Bears have had to do with their offense ever since they got Cutler. I look at offenses like the Raiders and Texans and want to be like that. Our passing game has not picked up on what McD wants to do and Bradford has struggled. I know theres a ton of reasons for that, and im still hoping things improve so the offense can end the season on a high note. I also know that this is not what McD has done in the past and it would be a change for him.

Could this happen? Would it work? Thoughts?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I think Matt Kailil, and then a big DT or CB or S in the second and third round.

Agreed. I think we will be ok at S. We have to get another CB or 2 just because we need add healthy bodies at that position.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We need protection first, then we need weapons on offense.

There are not nearly enough play-makers on this team. If all the receivers were healthy (hard to see what we have), but we do need a speedy one. A speedy running back, can't believe I am still asking for this, is a GIGANTIC need and has to be addressed. Tight end is a big need, Hoomanawanui and Kendricks, I like them both, but they have struggled with injuries. Bajema isn't a viable option as a catching or blocking tight end, never has been.

We need a DT and a LB on defense. We need some healthy corners. We need one more Safety, C. Dahl and J. Butler need to find new homes, we have to improve there.

I think the offensive line, coach included, will be mostly new next year. I think that there will only be two opening day starters on the line (Saffold and Dahl), as there are now (Bell and Dahl).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
JdashSTL said:
First off, I wanna say that this doesnt mean I gave up on the season and am looking forward to the draft. I enjoy looking ahead and talking about the draft anytime.

Im not gonna talk about our draft slots and which specific players we have a shot at because that will still change.

Right now, we know we should add more to the OL, and we should definitely be looking at another WR. I think we have to add at least 2 RBs. One of them built to be an every-down back, and the other can be a speedy 3rd down guy. Im not basing this off of our poor effort to run the ball yesterday I look at our entire season and believe that when you have issues with the OL, problems at WR, the best way to help cover them up is by running the ball. Thats what teams like the Bears and Broncos have done. Im not saying we have to become a run-first team because McD changes his gameplan every week and he wants to attack the defenses weakness. Im suggesting that we load up improving the run game via the draft and FA signings. I wouldnt mind seeing us go into games saying "this is our strength, try and stop it." Our offense still lacks a consistent identity. This season, SJ has been our identity when hes healthy and running hard. Last year, it was the dink and dunk offense.

We have a few pieces in place. We have shown that we can control the LOS in the run game at times this season, and we have SJ. I think we should add to that. I know SJ is a workhorse back and he needs plenty of touches and can get better as the game rolls along. I wanna see games where he could be stopped but his backups come in and the running game doesnt miss a beat. Are there gonna be times where the running game does get stopped? Yes, but I think the longer we can protect the OL and Bradford the better they can get. Thats what the Bears have had to do with their offense ever since they got Cutler. I look at offenses like the Raiders and Texans and want to be like that. Our passing game has not picked up on what McD wants to do and Bradford has struggled. I know theres a ton of reasons for that, and im still hoping things improve so the offense can end the season on a high note. I also know that this is not what McD has done in the past and it would be a change for him.

Could this happen? Would it work? Thoughts?

Not that it's a bad idea - it's a damn good idea - but lately w/ McDaniels, it wouldn't matter if the 1st 4 rounds went WR, RB, OL, RB. McDaniels doesn't seem to adjusting or utilizing other players other than Lloyd.

I said this somewhere else, but if Matt Kalil is the best thing since Joe Thomas...then yeah take him. Gotta protect Sam.

@ this point the best way is to try and sign Reggie Wayne in FA, draft Kalil and then whoever the best CB is in round dos.

God I fuckin hate talkin about early draft picks again.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
We need protection first, then we need weapons on offense.

There are not nearly enough play-makers on this team. If all the receivers were healthy (hard to see what we have), but we do need a speedy one. A speedy running back, can't believe I am still asking for this, is a GIGANTIC need and has to be addressed. Tight end is a big need, Hoomanawanui and Kendricks, I like them both, but they have struggled with injuries. Bajema isn't a viable option as a catching or blocking tight end, never has been.

We need a DT and a LB on defense. We need some healthy corners. We need one more Safety, C. Dahl and J. Butler need to find new homes, we have to improve there.

I think the offensive line, coach included, will be mostly new next year. I think that there will only be two opening day starters on the line (Saffold and Dahl), as there are now (Bell and Dahl).

Lots of needs on offense, and thats one of the main reasons why I suggested that we should dedicate more to improving the running game and it can allow us to cover up other issues that may take longer to fix (like the entire OL).

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I hate to admit that the J-Smooth experiment is likely over, but it's probably done. At least at the Tackle spot. I think they could bump the guy over to Guard and he could shine, but I don't see that happening.

Is O-line the way to go? I think it has to be. There's a pretty big investment under center that needs to be accounted for. Truly though, our #1 CB suffered a broken neck and #2 suffered a second torn knee; then there's the largely untested #3 CB who spent his entire second year on IR. I could justify going OL, CB, CB, OL in no particular order the first four rounds of the draft no problem.

Hopefully the powers that be will entice some team to move up for the likes of Matt Barkley or Landry Jones (should those guys come out). So much to do and so few picks.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Warner4Prez said:
I hate to admit that the J-Smooth experiment is likely over, but it's probably done. At least at the Tackle spot. I think they could bump the guy over to Guard and he could shine, but I don't see that happening.

Is O-line the way to go? I think it has to be. There's a pretty big investment under center that needs to be accounted for. Truly though, our #1 CB suffered a broken neck and #2 suffered a second torn knee; then there's the largely untested #3 CB who spent his entire second year on IR. I could justify going OL, CB, CB, OL in no particular order the first four rounds of the draft no problem.

Hopefully the powers that be will entice some team to move up for the likes of Matt Barkley or Landry Jones (should those guys come out). So much to do and so few picks.

Im still very interested in seeing how Marquis Johnson and Josh Gordy finish the season. That could make me feel a little better about not having to pick a CB early. As far as the injuries go, im most concerned about Bartell's. Im confident in Fletch bouncing back just fine, he did it before, and quicker than expected. Our secondary could also be helped by adding a young talented DT to improve the pass rush, and Quinn should be starting next year.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
A LT or C or if Big Rob isn't around maybe a RT. Rest of picks need to find a CB, OLB, NT, ILB.

Later rounds full in.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
How I do it (If the draft were held today):

A minor revision to my earlier Mock :

As far as Free Agency goes, no changes. I'm still using our much increased CAP next year for an elite EDGE, a high quality CB, and a very good ILB to couple with Ernest Jones.
Due to the development of Alaric Jackson and our drafting of a top LT with our 1'st round pick, I trade Havenstein and permanently move A.J. to RT. I'm also re-signing Dotson while allowing Anchrum to hit free agency. LSU QB Jayden Daniels has quickly moved up the charts these last two weeks and that is reflected in this draft revision.

My 2024 Rams Draft :

1'st round - LT (Joe Alt, N.D.) Our new decade long LT.
Joe Alt Offensive Tackle Notre Dame | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

2'nd round - RB (Trey Benson) Akers is gone, ... so Benson, Williams, Rivers & Evans take us to the next level.
Trey Benson Running Back Florida State | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

3a - QB (Jayden Daniels, LSU). Much needed security against whatever is going on with Bennett.
Jayden Daniels Quarterback LSU | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

3b) From Havenstein trade - C/RG (Bryce Foster, Tx. A&M). Brian Allen is likely off our books & Shelton will be moving into his 'contract' year, and who knows what the ultimate outcome is for Noteboom. Anchrum also becomes a free agent following this season. We don't really know what we have in UDFA McAllister yet. Foster is a big strong multiple IL player much in the same vein as Steve Avila imo.
Bryce Foster Center Texas A&M | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

4'th round - CB (Jason Marshall, Fl.)

5'th round - TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, Mn.

6a) WR - Brenden Rice, USC

6b) DT - Shemar Turner, Tx. A&M

6c) Safety - Jalen Catalon, Texas

7a - DT (Fabien Lovett, Fl.St.)

7b - ILB (Steele Chambers, Oh. St.)

OL (9) :
LT) Alt*, A. Jackson
LG) Avila, Miller, Dotson
C) Shelton, McAllister, Foster*
RG) Foster*, Dotson
RT) A. Jackson, Bruss or McClendon

jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they can hit on LT early then nab a Center this line will be in business. Guards can be found from surplus tackles and cheap FAs, castoffs if you are lucky.

Something like LT > Edge/DT > Center > Edge/DT in the draft. LT is best high. Center sweet spot seems to be round 3. And we need defensive front help mixed in.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I assume you are banking on the Rams signing an Edge in FA otherwise the second-round pick needs to be Edge.

dang

Legend
I assume you are banking on the Rams signing an Edge in FA otherwise the second-round pick needs to be Edge.
Letting Young evolve into a good Edge player over his rookie contract sounds good. He has definitely shown promise. However, the Rams need a sure fire Edge on the other side. That means they need a vet thru trade or FA. The Rams has shown they value an elite Edge and pursue that via trade (Fowler, Miller, attempt for Burns) so I would expect nothing less for next year. But I’ve been wrong before and will be wrong again - just hope not on this one.