Let’s hope this isn’t penalty in the regular season bc if it is it’s going to be a longgggg season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HellRam

Starter
I'm starting to worry this is the year the NFL really over does it. Such a shame too.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the penalties get bad enough for the ratings to drop, the NFL will fix it.
Until then nothing will change except more rules favoring the offense and the continued.. um... softening... of the game.
Thus far none of the scandals have really hurt the owners bottom line.
When the TV contracts need to be renewed, then we will see if they are really as out of touch as it appears.

Personally I think Goodell is just absolutely terrible at his job. I don't believe he deserves the credit for the ridiculous profit and growth that the league saw under his watch, I really think that has more to do with the league Tagliabue left behind and the natural reaction between a great televised sport and a massively ballooning population that watched much more TV that previous generations. I think most people in an NFL front office could have done at least as well if not better than Rodger Goodell.
Until the NFL has an competent commissioner with a backbone, things will continue to get worse.

NFL owners need to shitcan Goodell, accept the violent nature of the sport and embrace it while placing an emphasis on coaching better techniques, developing safer gear and more transparency in educating the players about the risks they face. Lastly, sometimes ya gotta spend money to make money or to keep from losing more... its time for the owners to open up their wallets and pony up the cash for full time, highly trained professional referees who are compensated enough to attract the very best and are subject to being out of a job as quickly as coaches and players who keep fucking up.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Is this rule going to be implemented in the regular season? or is this rule going live?

The Ramowl

Starter
Can someone explain what in this tackle is considered bad ? Honest question, I do not see where a penalty could be called

Mick

Pro Bowler
To be fair, the guy damn near split him in half!! That QB will be lucky if he ever walks again, and forget about having kids. I mean, I had to look away after......wait, what? You're telling me the QB got up, was fine, and stayed in the game? Oh....

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My guess is they saw a “piledrive” at the end of the tackle. Interpreted as intent to injure.

Not saying it’s correct, just conjecture as to why flag was thrown.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The hit was clean, the penalty came when he came off the ground to drive his full weight onto the QB. Good call, if the defender just let's his feet drag instead of lunging and driving his weight onto the QB there is no penalty.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i've seen plenty of sacks alot tamer than that have a flag thrown on them. usually tom brady was on the receiving end of them though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Body weight in tackling? Unheard of. Can we just put fucking flags on them already. FFS!

fearsomefour

Legend
The rules committee and commsih is in the process of totally destroying the game.
I've watching a little bit of several games and have seen a whole bunch of God awful calls, personal fouls. Over and over....runner lowers head, defender lower his head to protect himself while making tackle....no helmet to helmet contact....flag.
It will make the NFL in watchable.
Guess what will happen? Players will still get injured.
Making it so defenses can't play is going to ruin the game viewing experience for all but idiots who want a 78-62 flag football 7 on 7 passing league. It's pathetic.
Hopefully the mellow out before the season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The hit was clean, the penalty came when he came off the ground to drive his full weight onto the QB. Good call, if the defender just let's his feet drag instead of lunging and driving his weight onto the QB there is no penalty.

It looked like a classic form tackle to me. That is how coaches teach tackling. Squat wrap and lift.

Tuck rule 2.0. No need to throw it away, just setup to throw and you get the 1st from the ref.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If this is what we expect to see during the season, there's going to be some games lost due to these types of calls. Bigger QB's are going to have an advantage. Imagine being handcuffed by these rules trying to tackle Cam Newton?

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys remember a few years back when the rams were playing the cowboys and sims got a roughing the passer penalty for his hand barely grazing Romo’s helmet? That one still pisses me off :mad: