Les Snead: RG3 trade was important for St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rich Eisen's podcast isn't up yet. When it is, I'll post it in this thread.

By Dan Hanzus
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158970/article/les-snead-rg3-trade-was-important-for-st-louis-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... louis-rams</a>

You can't say Les Snead doesn't have the St. Louis Rams headed in the right direction.

The Rams went from 2-14 to 7-8-1 in the general manager's first season, including 4-1-1 in the suddenly fierce NFC West division.

The Rams enter the 2013 NFL Draft with two first-round picks, a product of their decision to trade the No. 2 overall selection to the Washington Redskins a year ago. The Redskins selected quarterback Robert Griffin III with that pick.

Snead has earned positive reviews for the job he's done so far, but his legacy in St. Louis ultimately might hinge on "the RG3 trade."

"When we made the trade last year and we got a second-rounder last year, the extra first-rounder this year and the extra first-rounder next year, that trade was a big rock for this organization," Snead said Wednesday on "The Rich Eisen Podcast". "And that rock is very important to the future of the organization."

Snead laughed to himself as he listed the embarrassment of riches the Redskins sent his way. If Sam Bradford matures into a franchise-type quarterback (remember, he was the No. 1 overall pick in 2010), the trade could set the Rams up for a decade.

It might even put them in position to compete in a division that houses two conference juggernauts in the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks.

"As I got the job, I can't tell you how many texts I got: 'At least you're in an easy division,'" Snead recalled. "I think that one quickly turned.

"We definitely have some formidable foes in our division, but we're definitely not scared to show up and take them on in a football game."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[hil]Les comes in at 30:35 into the podcast.[/hil]

denardsneadfinal4.jpg

Freshly back from his vacation, Rich dials up St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead to discuss the 2013 NFL Draft. Snead made headlines last year for the big trade he made with the Washington Redskins that netted the Rams three first-round draft picks. Snead explains how the trade laid the foundation for the rebuilding process he and coach Jeff Fisher have undertaken in St. Louis.

Rich then speaks with fellow Wolverine Denard Robinson to discuss Michigan’s tough loss to Louisville in the NCAA men’s basketball championship game. They also talk about Robinson’s transition from collegiate quarterback to future NFL wide receiver.

Enjoy, and as always, thanks for downloading!

AUDIO HERE --
<a class="postlink" href="http://richeisen.nfl.com/2013/04/10/rich-eisen-podcastles-snead-and-denard-robinson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://richeisen.nfl.com/2013/04/10/ric ... -robinson/</a>

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
As long as they see Bradford as our future, the trade was a no brainer. It's exciting to think not only about our future draft picks but where the FO's head is going to be at come draft day. Imo (and my hopes) this years and next year draft will prove to be the right way of putting this organization on the track for many years to come. Good for Snead, he'll be viewed as a top office guy around the league.

I like the way they know where they want the starters to be but I love the way they believe in loading up with the players already on the depth chart.

I wonder what the sentence before, "....at least your in an easy division" was. :shifty:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That is a great story about the Daryl Richardson pick... It's at the end of the interview but it's very funny and worth listening to. Les Snead definitely does a good interview.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Re: Les Snead On Entertaining Rich Eisen Podcast

Crispin Glover?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This starts at 30:08

Playmaker

Notice how Snead said he had a list of the top names for the 2014 draft and has used it when discussing draft strategy in the Rams War Room? He said something to the effect of the guys in the room being down on a position and that is when he reminds them of what is there next year and reminds them that they have two first rounders next year too.

If you're good at reading into Snead, he is saying they will not be taking a WR early. Because next year there will be two bonified #1's in the NFL, Sammy Watkins (Clemson) and Marqise Lee (USC). This year there just isn't. The value at WR in the 2013 NFL Draft will be beginning of the 2nd round through the middle of the third round.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
If Rams do not upgrade at wideout position you gonna see Bradford numbers really regress.

Playmaker

GreeneCounty said:
If Rams do not upgrade at wideout position you gonna see Bradford numbers really regress.

Explain please. Because they spent the #33 overall pick on Quick. Givens was one of the best big play WR's in the NFL in 2012. Jared Cook is a Vertical Threat. He has to fast RB's who will be utilized in the passing game.

By "upgrading" the wideout position, do you mean a big name? Because I don't remember Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, or James Jones being highly sought after, "big name" WR's that were considered big upgrades to the Green Bay passing game. Yet they were the top 3 WR's for the recent Packers run that included a Super Bowl Championship. Oh, and none were first round picks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Playmaker said:
GreeneCounty said:

Explain please. Because they spent the #33 overall pick on Quick. Givens was one of the best big play WR's in the NFL in 2012. Jared Cook is a Vertical Threat. He has to fast RB's who will be utilized in the passing game.

By "upgrading" the wideout position, do you mean a big name? Because I don't remember Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, or James Jones being highly sought after, "big name" WR's that were considered big upgrades to the Green Bay passing game. Yet they were the top 3 WR's for the recent Packers run that included a Super Bowl Championship. Oh, and none were first round picks.
What does one have to do with the other? We're not the Packers.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
GreeneCounty said:
Possibly, then again with another year of experience under their belts and an improved O line, I suspect Bradford's numbers will improve regardless. :hehe:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Playmaker said:
GreeneCounty said:

And who do they have after Quick, Givens and Pettis? A couple of practice squad UDFAs. The Rams will pick a receiver early because no one can predict what will happen to the top prospects before the 2014 Draft. Think Marcus Lattimore. Think Barkley. You look for value, hoping it coincides with need, and you take it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That was a great listen.

I like how he talks about falling in love with scenarios, as opposed to players.