Leonard Floyd latest first-round pass-rusher to be revived by Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leonard Floyd latest first-round pass-rusher to be revived by Rams - Los Angeles Rams- ESPN

By Lindsey Thiry

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- From first-round bust with the Chicago Bears to Super Bowl or bust with the Los Angeles Rams, outside linebacker Leonard Floyd is proof sometimes all a player needs is a fresh start.

In one season in L.A., Floyd has endeared himself to teammates while producing at a Pro Bowl level despite being a Pro Bowl snub.

"He's laid back, he's chill," Rams safety John Johnson III said. "He's just like a silent assassin."

Floyd's wreaked havoc on quarterbacks as a key contributor on the Rams' top-ranked defense, which shut down quarterback Russell Wilson and the NFC West champion Seattle Seahawks to advance to the divisional round of the playoffs, where they'll face Aaron Rodgers and the NFC top-seed Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on Saturday (4:35 p.m. ET, Fox).

"He has done such a great job for us," Rams coach Sean McVay said. "He has been so steady, so consistent, so versatile."

Floyd has followed the template executed by Dante Fowler Jr. -- breaking out with the Rams after being a failed first-rounder elsewhere. Floyd, a lanky 6-foot-5, 240-pounds, tallied three multi-sack performances this year, finishing the regular season with a career-high 10.5 sacks and a hefty bonus check after surpassing the 10-sack mark in Week 17 to earn a $1.25 million contract incentive.

"Shout out to my teammates and coaching staff for believing in me and helping me along the way to get here," Floyd said after the regular-season finale.

"He's fit really well with our team and how we want to play," said defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, who coached Floyd for two seasons during a previous stop as the outside linebackers coach in Chicago.

The Bears selected Floyd with the No. 9 overall pick in the 2016 draft and exercised the fifth-year option on his rookie deal prior to the 2019 season. However, before the former Georgia standout reached his fifth season in Chicago, the Bears released him due to lack of production. In four seasons, he was unable to consistently pressure the quarterback, compiling only 18.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

At the urging of Staley, the Rams signed Floyd to a one-year, $10-million prove-it deal and he's excelled.

"Just being around a different group of guys and going out and playing with them is very different," said Floyd, who turned 28 this past September, "and I'm enjoying it."

Floyd plays on the edge of a Super Bowl-worthy defense that recorded 53 regular-season sacks (No. 2 in NFL) and includes two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Sebastian Joseph-Day along the defensive line. He lines up opposite of a linebacker rotation that includes Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Samson Ebukam.

"He's football smart," said Donald, who went on to explain Floyd's rush moves and how he works in tandem with Floyd. "Having the ability to do that and work with a guy that understands football and knows how to play off guys, it's been huge for us."

Floyd established himself with his first multi-sack performance of the season in a Week 7 win over the Bears, which was far from a coincidence, as he admitted before the game he felt more energy and motivation facing his former team.

"It was kind of emotional," Floyd said after the revenge performance, clutching a game ball. "But I tried not to get too far into the emotional side of it."

The other multi-sack performances came against the Seahawks, as Floyd has single-handedly destroyed Wilson. Floyd sacked the eight-time Pro Bowl quarterback a combined five times in their regular-season matchups (three in Week 10, two in Week 16), then took Wilson down twice more when the Rams ended the Seahawks' season 30-20 in Saturday's wild-card playoff game

Staley acknowledged the presence of Donald -- who has drawn a league-high 327 doubles teams on pass rushes -- makes each defensive player more productive.

Fowler experienced a similar revival when he joined the Rams for one and a half seasons before earning a free agent payday with the Atlanta Falcons. But Staley was adamant Floyd's breakthrough season stands on its own.

"He's playing as well as I've ever seen him play," Staley said. "I think he's become the best version of himself."

Said Donald: "He's been productive."

The only question that remains is whether the Rams will be able to afford to keep Floyd around, with his contract set to expire following the season.

"We would like to," McVay said. "The answer is absolutely yes."

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, speaking of Fowler, just looked up his stats from this year and he only had 23 Tackles and 3 Sacks, versus 58 Tackles and 11.5 Sacks with the Rams.

Floyd has been Outstanding this year. Really hope we can keep him for a year or two.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I hope he stays too, but I hope he has a look at Dante Fowler’s stats this year, I don’t know if he’s hurt or what but it’s not quite the same as last year, but I’m guessing Staley would love to have him wherever he ends up.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope he stays too, but I hope he has a look at Dante Fowler’s stats this year, I don’t know if he’s hurt or what but it’s not quite the same as last year, but I’m guessing Staley would love to have him wherever he ends up.
The real question (IMO) is winning more important than breaking the bank?

Floyd can make decent (not top edge rusher) money with the Rams on a great defense. He can bolt for the short term payday to a likely crappy 5-11 team. My hope is he signs a team friendly 2 year deal. Given that JJ III is due and others it’s going to be tough to keep Floyd or any body else on high payout contracts (signing bonus). All JMO

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Floyd is not stupid.
He has to know the impact that Aaron Donald has on his ability to make sacks.

He should resign with the Rams for a reasonable amount and then have that same contingency to make a couple million more if he gets over 12 sacks.

It would definitely help his reputation and he's young enough that he could still sign that crazy big contract in a couple years after he's earned a few playoff wins and a few Pro Bowls.

JMO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You Are Welcome ~ AD
h5RFw8V.png

dang

Legend
It may depend on Staley staying the Rams DC. Gotta believe Floyd would love to stay on Staley’s defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Floyd is not stupid.
He has to know the impact that Aaron Donald has on his ability to make sacks.

He should resign with the Rams for a reasonable amount and then have that same contingency to make a couple million more if he gets over 12 sacks.

It would definitely help his reputation and he's young enough that he could still sign that crazy big contract in a couple of years after he's earned a few playoff wins and a few Pro Bowls.
Right now the salary cap just does not appear to be capable of being manipulated any more than it has. It's been reworked more than Nancy Pelosi's face & neck has to the point of breakage. Hard big UGLY decisions will need to be made in order to keep Floyd for another one or two seasons.

The loss of Floyd/ Ebukam with only Hollins/Okoronkwo & damaged Lewis will need a serious amount of addressing in the draft meaning Snead will have to utilize this teams high valued few 2nd-day draft selections to attempt to fill the loss of both starters.

Kevin Demoff & Les Snead is going to have to make some sacrifices of at least 2 good Ram players. But Floyd being resigned along with keeping Staley together one more season might serve to the greater good.

I pointed this out before but Rams in 2021 will have under contract four OT's besides Havenstein there's swing OT Joseph Noteboom & 3 RT's in Bobby Evans/ Tremayne Anchrum & Chandler Brewer.. Havenstein's contract would break loose $7 million at least.