Lakers get the 4th pick in the lottery - time for another rebuild?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26749837/lakers-eye-impact-player-trade-4th-pick

After what has been a chaotic start to the offseason, the Los Angeles Lakers were one of the big winners in Tuesday's NBA draft lottery, and they could parlay their new fourth overall draft pick into a potential trade for an All-Star.

An ecstatic Rob Pelinka, the Lakers general manager, said the team will either draft an impact player or try to see what it can get on the trade market after the team surprisingly leaped from 11th to fourth overall.

"This is a powerful asset for us," Pelinka said on a conference call. "We owe a commitment to our fans to have an outstanding season next year. What this does is it gives us the ability to either select an impact player at [No.] 4 or possibly use this as an extremely valuable asset in trade."

The Lakers are fixated on landing another max free-agent star to help LeBron James, and they could have $32.5 million to use in free agency.
Prior to the trade deadline this past season, Pelinka and the Lakers had been focused on trying to strike a trade for New Orleans' Anthony Davis. Now Pelinka has the fourth overall pick as well as a young core of up-and-coming players in Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart.

This is the fourth time in five years that the Lakers will pick in the top four of the lottery after having the second overall pick in 2015 (D'Angelo Russell), 2016 (Ingram) and 2017 (Ball). ESPN's Jonathan Givony has Vanderbilt's 6-foot-3 guard Darius Garland, Virginia's 6-foot-8 defensive forward De'Andre Hunter, Texas Tech's 6-foot-6 guard Jarrett Culver and Duke's 6-foot-9 forward Cam Reddish listed after the top three prospects.

"I think it's an extraordinary shift for us," Pelinka said. "I mean, top-five picks in the draft, if you go back in the history and study them, those picks can alter and impact franchises. This is a big moment for us. Last year, of course, we had to go through some hard and difficult things that this is certainly a great silver lining. Our dedication is really toward our fans right now and doing all we can to deliver a really special Lakers season for our fans."

This was certainly a win for the Lakers in what has been a tumultuous offseason for the franchise. Magic Johnson stunned the NBA world by stepping down before the Lakers' regular-season finale and that was followed by Luke Walton's exit and a failed contract negotiation with Ty Lue. Earlier this week, the Lakers hired Frank Vogel as their new head coach and added Jason Kidd as an assistant.

"The biggest motto is just laser focus, head down, do the work," Pelinka said in his first comments since the season ended on what the past month has been like for him and the Lakers. "And I think that we've been trying as an organization to just be methodical and continue a path forward and doing the work ... to make the Lakers a successful organization for our fan base, and that's really the course and the path that we've been on. This is just a burst of goodwill for us as a franchise and it just gives us some excitement and a nice launching pad going into next year."

"I had asked my son, who is 11... what should I bring to the draft lottery for good luck," Pelinka added. "He said, Dad, just bring some optimism. He said the world needs more optimism."

Supposedly the Bulls have offered their first for Lonzo Ball - originally the rumor was anything #3 or worse. They are picking at #7 - I wonder if the Lakers could get them to sweeten the pot?

Lebron James is saying he wants to stay - but what could he bring back in terms of picks from a team which could actually win now, not a few years down the line? There were rumors at the beginning of the offseason he wanted to be traded. While he wants to be in LA for movies, he also wants to have another championship. You don't trade him without his consent - that would hurt future signings - but if he is just being polite by saying he doesn't want to be traded, it might make sense to find a trade that gives him another shot at a championship, while getting the Lakers future picks and maybe a good young player, as well as contracts that will expire soon.

Frankly, this rebuild hasn't worked all that well. I'm not sure any max free agent that the Lakers should want will choose to play for them - some don't like Lebron, some want to win now with a surer thing, which means not in the same division as Golden State. Golden State is getting older, so a reset to try to be peaking after Golden State might make sense. It's just so confusing - these are the Lakers - they are supposed to be contending! Or so I've always experienced.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Maybe they should trade LeBron? I really don't like the thought of them shipping Ingram, Ball or Kuzma when they haven't hit their full potential yet.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe they should trade LeBron? I really don't like the thought of them shipping Ingram, Ball or Kuzma when they haven't hit their full potential yet.

LeBron is paid a huge amount. And they shouldn't just dump him, it needs to be a good situation or it'll hurt future signings. But if he wants to be traded, and they can save some money and get future picks, sure.

Ball has been hurt for a significant time both his seasons, and while he's an excellent passer and good defensively, the concerns about his shooting turned out to be mostly true. Plus his headcase father. Getting a good pick or two for him strikes me as a good deal.

I like Ingram - I don't know if he's worth a max or near max contract though. He's never quite taken that step, and is getting close to free agency. So that's something the Lakers need to consider. I'm not suggesting he get traded, though.

Kuzma is an excellent offensive player, and a poor defensive player. For now though, I'd want the Lakers to keep him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gotta keep Ball and Kuzma to me.
Ball can grow a ton and Kuzma has the look of an ideal roll/swig guy.
Ingram may be hard to move with his blood clot issues. Really like his potential. His athleticism and height is a rare combo.
They weren't too far from being competitive before the injuries hit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't watch the NBA anymore but from what I hear they don't have any shooters and there's a guy they can get at 4 that can do that. Sounds like they should stay put and take him. Think I read he's from Texas Tech?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't watch the NBA anymore but from what I hear they don't have any shooters and there's a guy they can get at 4 that can do that. Sounds like they should stay put and take him. Think I read he's from Texas Tech?

Culver? There's a good chance he's gone before the Lakers pick Sportingnews at least has him at #3.

I do like Jaxson Hayes - great defensive center, for the team to build around. It always seems easier to find guards who can shoot than top defensive players.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Culver? There's a good chance he's gone before the Lakers pick Sportingnews at least has him at #3.

I do like Jaxson Hayes - great defensive center, for the team to build around. It always seems easier to find guards who can shoot than top defensive players.
Didn't realize it was a centers game anymore. Last time I looked the teams winning in the NBA were capable of shooting the ball. I went and looked at about 10 mocks online and almost all of them had Culver going to the Lakers.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If Culver was gone that would be amazing for the Lakers - Morant and Barrett are legit All NBA caliber prospects. Culver will be there IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LeBron is paid a huge amount. And they shouldn't just dump him, it needs to be a good situation or it'll hurt future signings. But if he wants to be traded, and they can save some money and get future picks, sure.

Ball has been hurt for a significant time both his seasons, and while he's an excellent passer and good defensively, the concerns about his shooting turned out to be mostly true. Plus his headcase father. Getting a good pick or two for him strikes me as a good deal.

I like Ingram - I don't know if he's worth a max or near max contract though. He's never quite taken that step, and is getting close to free agency. So that's something the Lakers need to consider. I'm not suggesting he get traded, though.

Kuzma is an excellent offensive player, and a poor defensive player. For now though, I'd want the Lakers to keep him.

LeBron has a no trade clause, so the Lakers can't do anything with him without his consent.

Lakers were close to a playoff team last year before LeBron got hurt - I would draft Culver and try to sign one of the MANY All Star free agents this offseason - should be easy. That will put LA at the top of the West next year with the Warriors.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Looks like another rebuild, not sure if the Lakers can become the powerhouse they once were though as long as Jeanie Buss is the owner; just starting to see a lot of parallels when Georgia Frontiere was the Rams owner.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LeBron has a no trade clause, so the Lakers can't do anything with him without his consent.

Actually, he does not have a no trade clause, but yes they wouldn't do anything without his consent. And the return would likely not be that great, given his age and how much he's paid. And the Lakers would have to take back an overpriced player or two, as well as draft picks. LeBron would not be happy if the franchise he were traded to had been stripped bare. The point would be to get future picks, since it's dubious at this stage that the Lakers will be able to win it all before LeBron is an afterthought.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/6/18252930/lebron-james-trade-la-lakers-no-no-no-no-no-no

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Lakers aren't in a total rebuild they had the 4 seed up until LeBron got hurt.

But..........

They need to use that draft pick and get a bit aggressive in the FA market.

I've never understood the move LeBron made to go to the Lakers. He has a 4 year deal and 3 years left. Are the Lakers going to be able to contend for a title in those three years? Yes, but it will take some effort and a little luck too.

They have a 4th overall and cash for a max contract. Those are good assets to have and they had injury issues last year for sure.

I'm not sold on Ball and if they had a decent offer I'd pull the trigger. As mentioned by @Akrasian he can't shoot and doesn't run the offense. 10 points and about 5 assists and about 5 rebounds is JAG territory to me. He can't even hit free throws. Oh. And his father. I'm with him on seeing what a team will give up for his "potential upside".

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lakers should've never drafted Ball. I thought that Ball would be a bust, and so far, he's proving me right. Should've kept D'Angelo Russell.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, he does not have a no trade clause, but yes they wouldn't do anything without his consent. And the return would likely not be that great, given his age and how much he's paid. And the Lakers would have to take back an overpriced player or two, as well as draft picks. LeBron would not be happy if the franchise he were traded to had been stripped bare. The point would be to get future picks, since it's dubious at this stage that the Lakers will be able to win it all before LeBron is an afterthought.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/6/18252930/lebron-james-trade-la-lakers-no-no-no-no-no-no

Wow I thought for sure he had one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry but I don't buy that trading Bron Bron the carpet bagger would hurt our chances of being able to sign other FAs. The dude has proven to be a mercenary and that really won't carry that much weight IMO. He is also wearing down and we need to get something for the mistake we already made.

I think they should trade him and his ginormous contract, keep the 4th pick, and go after a couple premium FAs as well as some roll players that can play on the court together.

Unfortunately, I agree with the Frontiere/Buss comparison. I don't think it has anything to do with spending though. Her daddy was a tightwad but knew how to get good basketball people in place. She's going to need to get a great mind or three in place before this team is going to be back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Top 3 picks are a lock
1 Zion
2 Ja
3 Barrett

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Unfortunately, I agree with the Frontiere/Buss comparison. I don't think it has anything to do with spending though. Her daddy was a tightwad but knew how to get good basketball people in place. She's going to need to get a great mind or three in place before this team is going to be back.

I remember when everyone wanted Jim Buss out. Then she takes over and everyone thought things would change for the better. Now the media is all over her saying things like she's overwhelmed, listening to the wrong people, etc.

Yes, she does need to find a great mind. Letting Jerry West go years ago was a huge mistake. They should have done everything they can to keep him. Heck, Mitch Kupchak wasn't as bad as people thought. Now they have the look of a dysfunctional team. And it seems like it doesn't matter who's running it with Jerry Buss's kids.