LA Rams: AJ Jackson draws Brandon Scherff’s former coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1630953366070.png

LA Rams: Iowa’s AJ Jackson draws Brandon Scherff’s former coach

by Bret Stuter 2 days ago Follow @milroyigglesfan

Six years ago, an Iowa Hawkeye offensive lineman faced the 2015 NFL Draft. His name was Brandon Scherff, and he was an offensive tackle who was projected as an NFL offensive guard. This year, a second Iowa Hawkeye offensive lineman faced the 2021 NFL Draft. His name was Alaric “AJ” Jackson, and he also was an offensive tackle. Both were 6-foot-5. Both tipped the scales around 320-pounds.

One was projected to be drafted in round one. The second was projected to be drafted in round six. The first heard his name called out with the fourth pick of the 2015 NFL Draft. The second never would hear his name called out. But they would share one more thing in common. Both would join the NFL and be coached by offensive line coach Kevin Carberry.

Now, the NFL Draft profile for Brandon Scherff reads nothing like the NFL Draft profile for Alaric “AJ” Jackson, but there are certainly enough similarities to make for an interesting article. For starters, do you think that the two are completely unrelated? Or do you suspect that the success that Carberry had in coaching Brandon Scherff into a future Pro Bowler may have created a bit of bias in his stamp of approval for the Rams personnel office when signing undrafted Jackson in 2021?

After all, the Rams did not draft a single offensive lineman in 2021. But Jackson was one of the first undrafted rookies signed up and was one of the best-undrafted players from the class of 2021. But did the LA Rams was a roster spot? It certainly doesn’t appear that way. In fact, AJ Jackson made the LA Rams 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie. I’d say that he is already exceeding expectations.

Offensive line reinforcement

The Rams know that their offensive line will be squeezed by expiring contracts in 2022. Two of the teams starting five, both Brian Allen and Austin Corbett, will need contract extensions in 2022. If Andrew Whitworth retires, the team will need to replace or extend three starters. That does not include two keep backups, Joseph Noteboom and Coleman Shelton, who will both need new contracts as well. So the Rams have plenty of incentive to ensure that Jackson develops into an NFL-capable starter quickly.

But don’t fear that the team is somehow bending the curve. Both Tremayne Anchrum and AJ Jackson stood out in the joint practices with the Dallas Cowboys, as both tackles easily handled pressure from the Cowboys’ much-lauded pass rushers.

Lean mean fighting machine

Much like defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson, AJ Jackson has switched his diet and dropped his weight from 321 pounds to a svelte 285 playing weight. Not only is that a healthier playing weight, but it gives Jackson more pop out of his three-point stance, more agility, and better footwork, and his endurance to play a long afternoon of football just skyrocketed.

That will all help his push to earn a starting roster spot down the road. Thankfully, he had the chance to bang bodies in the preseason, and he put on a pretty good display of what’s to come. He has always excelled at pass blocking, but the new-and-improved lighter form now allows him to get out in space to block at the secondary level as well.

Jackson didn’t arrive and get plopped in as an NFL starting offensive guard. Nor was he drafted with the fourth pick of the NFL Draft. But he has already exceeded expectations, he did make the 53-man roster, and he is one of the promising and rapidly developing young stars on the LA Rams team.

AJ Jackson is not a Pro Bowler. He’s not a starter. But don’t rule out either. You see, he’s a former offensive lineman from the University of Iowa and his offensive line coach is Kevin Carberry. The last time that occurred, great things happened. There’s no reason to expect otherwise just yet.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Jackson is not 285. He’s most certainly above 310.
I believe he's closer to 285 because Jackson himself has talked about how he's changed his diet and lost a ton of weight.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That seems to be the great debate, I like that he's more nimble, it was obvious in preseason as he was very good in pass protection and because of durability, might be a nice option next year. If anything else, the Rams won't have to overpay now for Noteboom, hopefully, next year the Rams resign Noteboom and he and Jackson can battle it out for LT and the Rams can draft another OL although IMO unless Havenstein regresses, they keep Big Rob in 2022 and look for his replacement the following year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That seems to be the great debate, I like that he's more nimble, it was obvious in preseason as he was very good in pass protection and because of durability, might be a nice option next year. If anything else, the Rams won't have to overpay now for Noteboom, hopefully, next year the Rams resign Noteboom and he and Jackson can battle it out for LT and the Rams can draft another OL although IMO unless Havenstein regresses, they keep Big Rob in 2022 and look for his replacement the following year.
Could be he's the TuTu Atwell of Left Tackles?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
That was kind of unnecessarily cruel basing the article on comparing him to Brandon Scherff.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That was kind of unnecessarily cruel basing the article on comparing him to Brandon Scherff.

I think it was the Carberry connection, who I'm still unsure about. The new Offensive Line Coach at Stanford oversaw an OL that was better at pass blocking then run blocking. Had COVID to start preseason and then when he came back on the sideline during the final preseason game, had his mouth wide open quite a bit.

Overall, still unsure what he and his assistant Nick Jones will offer over Kromer & Andy Dickerson, but to this point, let's hope for health for the unit along with Brian Allen showing major growth.

oldnotdead

Legend

He's listed at 285 lbs and it's the weight he came in with at OTAs. I think he will add about 10*15 lbs of muscle but doubt he has that quickly. Why do you say he's over 310 lbs? His diet in 2020 was specifically targeted at reducing his body fat and he did drop a lot of weight. He came into Iowa at 335 lbs. He contemplated coming out in 2019 but decided to stay at the advice of coaches. A 2019 injury spurred him to change his body weight. By the Senior Bowl, he had dropped to 318 lbs. Looking at film of him at the Senior Bowl you can still see some stomach on him. But watching him since he's been with the Rams he looks far more sculpted. I think he's closer to 290-300 lbs and wouldn't be surprised if he played in that range.

His Senior Bowl tapes were overall good. His game films from Iowa make him project as a RG or RT in the NFL. He practiced at OG at the Senior Bowl and did a pretty good job. His forte is his run blocking. His preseason was a surprise to see just how much he has cleaned up his footwork. He played LT and did a very credible job projecting him as a solid RT prospect.

I think the Rams have a very good OT/OG prospect in him as a backup this year. I really feel he will take big strides under Carberry and be in the mix as a potential starter at RG or RT next year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He's listed at 285 lbs and it's the weight he came in with at OTAs. I think he will add about 10*15 lbs of muscle but doubt he has that quickly. Why do you say he's over 310 lbs? His diet in 2020 was specifically targeted at reducing his body fat and he did drop a lot of weight. He came into Iowa at 335 lbs. He contemplated coming out in 2019 but decided to stay at the advice of coaches. A 2019 injury spurred him to change his body weight. By the Senior Bowl, he had dropped to 318 lbs. Looking at film of him at the Senior Bowl you can still see some stomach on him. But watching him since he's been with the Rams he looks far more sculpted. I think he's closer to 290-300 lbs and wouldn't be surprised if he played in that range.

His Senior Bowl tapes were overall good. His game films from Iowa make him project as a RG or RT in the NFL. He practiced at OG at the Senior Bowl and did a pretty good job. His forte is his run blocking. His preseason was a surprise to see just how much he has cleaned up his footwork. He played LT and did a very credible job projecting him as a solid RT prospect.

I think the Rams have a very good OT/OG prospect in him as a backup this year. I really feel he will take big strides under Carberry and be in the mix as a potential starter at RG or RT next year.
Then he changed it again, adding meat again realizing he needed to bulk back up. Can’t remember if I got that from a pod or article.
Eye test in huddle tells me no.

Here you go..

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think it was the Carberry connection, who I'm still unsure about. The new Offensive Line Coach at Stanford oversaw an OL that was better at pass blocking then run blocking. Had COVID to start preseason and then when he came back on the sideline during the final preseason game, had his mouth wide open quite a bit.

Overall, still unsure what he and his assistant Nick Jones will offer over Kromer & Andy Dickerson, but to this point, let's hope for health for the unit along with Brian Allen showing major growth.
I'm not following the mouth open comment. Are you saying he was surprised at their performance? Is that good or bad?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm not following the mouth open comment. Are you saying he was surprised at their performance? Is that good or bad?
I noticed it too. He looked kind of lost or dumbfounded. (I'm probably just not familiar with his personality.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wonder sometimes if Whit is really over 300. Not that it matters all that much to me or anything. He just seems to me to be demonstrating the importance of cardio so it would make sense that it's something Carberry and the coaches have pushed and/or Jackson picked up on from Whit. And I don't want to take cred away from Jackson for stepping up and doing what he did either, it was impressive for a UDFA.

I think Carberry is off to a strong start. This depth group looked better overall as a unit this preseason than I can recall them looking under Kromer. Now maybe that's because Kromer liked to crosstrain them so much that he needed preseason snaps to teach too. Regardless of the why though, he really had them playing together in pass pro. Run blocking was hit and miss but also to be considered was that they were facing some starters and getting great reps and holding their own.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I recall Big Whit saying in a interview he loses about 5 lbs the last 5 or so seasons. He went on to say it helps his knees etc.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Someone please tell me the name of the last player who was an undrafted FA that became a starting NFL OT on a playoff contending team. He may take over for Havenstien in the near future but I believe the next starting OT after Whit, is not currently on the roster.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Like a cow chewing cud...Showing Carberry on the sidelines, he's chewing gum and his mouth is wide open, that is what I was trying to communicate, I was not impressed, but then again, who really cares if he can chew gum properly as long as he can coach an offensive line.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Someone please tell me the name of the last player who was an undrafted FA that became a starting NFL OT on a playoff contending team. He may take over for Havenstien in the near future but I believe the next starting OT after Whit, is not currently on the roster.
The timeline is longer, but, Jason Peters.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Like a cow chewing cud...Showing Carberry on the sidelines, he's chewing gum and his mouth is wide open, that is what I was trying to communicate, I was not impressed, but then again, who really cares if he can chew gum properly as long as he can coach an offensive line.
Ew, the Pete Carroll special. Like you said, IDGAF what he looks like as long as the O line performs. That was one reason I didn't get along well in the Army. They were very caught up in "What does right look like?" and almost entirely uninterested in what right actually was. I'll try not to look at him in the sidelines while he stands there like this :D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree and chances are you are correct. However it is still nice to see a UDFA come in and play reasonable LT during preseason. No matter how you slice it that's a win for the Rams.