Kobe Bryant wins an Oscar

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
For his short film , Dear Basketball

And I see The Shape of Water won best picture , I wonder when the last time a monster movie won best picture

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
And I see The Shape of Water won best picture , I wonder when the last time a monster movie won best picture
Never before for best picture. Though I wouldn't exactly call the Shape of Water a "monster movie" either. Yes there is a monster, but the film is drama/romance.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never before for best picture. Though I wouldn't exactly call the Shape of Water a "monster movie" either. Yes there is a monster, but the film is drama/romance.

But isn't that what all great monster movies were , or at least used to be , before the summer blockbusters became a thing ?

Phantom of the Opera , The Hunchback of Notre Dame , even the original Creature from the Black Lagoon , which this movie barrows from , Frankenstein , Dracula , even King Kong , were all drama/romance at their core

something Hollywood has long since forgotten , just take a look at Tom Cruises Mummy

C0Nl2XiXAAATQq1.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But isn't that what all great monster movies were , or at least used to be , before the summer blockbusters became a thing ?

Phantom of the Opera , The Hunchback of Notre Dame , even the original Creature from the Black Lagoon , which this movie barrows from , Frankenstein , Dracula , even King Kong , were all drama/romance at their core

something Hollywood has long since forgotten , just take a look at Tom Cruises Mummy

C0Nl2XiXAAATQq1.jpg
Or Young Frankenstein?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

C0Nl2XiXAAATQq1.jpg
Yes, that is true, and I agree. What I think separates the Shape of Water and these films is that the monster in these films are menacing or scary figures, at least thats how they are introduced. As the movie progresses they begin to show their softer, more human qualities. I didn't get that with the Shape of Water, I never felt that the monster was menacing or scary. The monster is first introduced to us as a captive, and is more human than others in the film. I thought that Michael Shannon's character, Strickland, was the menacing or monstrous figure.

I also think that the "monster movie" has a classic sense of tragedy. The monster is more misunderstood than actually scary/menacing , and it usually ends poorly for the monster.

I do think that the Shape of Water does have notes of the classic monster movie, but not enough to truly fit the genre. At least thats how i
I see it. Though this could the new direction for monster movies.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wasn't King Kong about humans fucking with natural order of things, even in places where man hasn't touched?

Speaking of Kong, the 2005 movie and last year's Skull Island were really good.

Pacific Rim is also about monsters (Japanese), but still monsters. Those are really good too. No forced romance either, not every movie has to have that, and it doesn't automatically make them good. Exhibit A: Twilight.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Wasn't King Kong about humans freaking with natural order of things, even in places where man hasn't touched?

Speaking of Kong, the 2005 movie and last year's Skull Island were really good.
I would say that is one of a few aspects to the movie. Romance does play a part throughout as well. The movie opens with..."And the Prophet said:
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty.
And it stayed its hand from killing.
And from that day, it was as one dead.
" and it ends with a character saying "It was Beauty who killed the Beast."

To be honest, I didn't care for the remakes. They looked good visually and had a great cast, but it was just flat. The story was long and a little stale, as was some of the acting. I thought John C. Reilly was the only one with energy in Skull Island. Even the action sequences were flat.
Pacific Rim is also about monsters (Japanese), but still monsters. Those are really good too. No forced romance either, not every movie has to have that, and it doesn't automatically make them good. Exhibit A: Twilight.
Twilight isn't a "monster movie", it's a bad teen romance flick based on bad romantic YA novel.