Kiper says Rams should take Blackmon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... e-Blackmon

(St. Louis Rams Tailgate Show) -- Two men recently mentioned as possible candidates for the vacant Rams general manager job appear to be off the table.

Reports from Tennessee indicate both Lake Dawson and Ruston Webster received promotions from the Tennessee Titans on Wednesday. Webster was promoted to Executive Vice President/General Manager. Dawson moved up to Vice President of Player Personnel.

Over at ESPN.com, NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. is busy running mock drafts. Mike Sando writes:

"Mel Kiper's first mock draft for 2012 provides the foundation for discussing how NFC West teams might proceed this offseason.

I'll conclude with a look at Kiper's plans for the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second choice.

2. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.

Kiper's give: There's a clear value question here, because I think St. Louis could leverage this position to trade down for more picks for 2012 and into the future, and then still target Blackmon perhaps a few spots later. But if the Rams can't find a dance partner for a trade, Blackmon still represents precisely what this offense needs. It should be noted there are a number of teams drafting behind St. Louis that need an elite wide receiver.

Sando's take: Jeff Fisher will put his stamp on this draft class. Trading down makes the most sense given the Rams' many needs. Fisher wants to emphasize running the ball, protecting the quarterback and forcing turnovers. All coaches value those things, of course, but Fisher focuses more on them. Some offensive-minded coaches might be more inclined to talk about quarterback play, for example. Fisher's Titans twice used first-round picks for receivers, taking Kevin Dyson 16th overall (1998) and Kenny Britt 30th (2009). Adding a receiver early in the draft carries obvious appeal for the Rams. They appear less likely to re-sign Brandon Lloyd now that offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has left for New England. Fisher's Titans and Houston Oilers picked among the top 10 overall three times. They chose Vince Young third (2006), Adam Jones sixth (2005) and Steve McNair (1995) third. Fisher was not the ultimate voice in personnel, however.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/297886/30/RamsBlog-Kiper-says-Rams-should-take-Blackmon

(St. Louis Rams Tailgate Show) -- Two men recently mentioned as possible candidates for the vacant Rams general manager job appear to be off the table.

Reports from Tennessee indicate both Lake Dawson and Ruston Webster received promotions from the Tennessee Titans on Wednesday. Webster was promoted to Executive Vice President/General Manager. Dawson moved up to Vice President of Player Personnel.

Over at ESPN.com, NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. is busy running mock drafts. Mike Sando writes:

"Mel Kiper's first mock draft for 2012 provides the foundation for discussing how NFC West teams might proceed this offseason.

I'll conclude with a look at Kiper's plans for the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second choice.

2. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.

Kiper's give: There's a clear value question here, because I think St. Louis could leverage this position to trade down for more picks for 2012 and into the future, and then still target Blackmon perhaps a few spots later. But if the Rams can't find a dance partner for a trade, Blackmon still represents precisely what this offense needs. It should be noted there are a number of teams drafting behind St. Louis that need an elite wide receiver.

Sando's take: Jeff Fisher will put his stamp on this draft class. Trading down makes the most sense given the Rams' many needs. Fisher wants to emphasize running the ball, protecting the quarterback and forcing turnovers. All coaches value those things, of course, but Fisher focuses more on them. Some offensive-minded coaches might be more inclined to talk about quarterback play, for example. Fisher's Titans twice used first-round picks for receivers, taking Kevin Dyson 16th overall (1998) and Kenny Britt 30th (2009). Adding a receiver early in the draft carries obvious appeal for the Rams. They appear less likely to re-sign Brandon Lloyd now that offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has left for New England. Fisher's Titans and Houston Oilers picked among the top 10 overall three times. They chose Vince Young third (2006), Adam Jones sixth (2005) and Steve McNair (1995) third. Fisher was not the ultimate voice in personnel, however.
Kenny Britt is a very good receiver. Hakeem Nicks...anyone see what he did against the Packers??? He's Under 6'1" 212 and ran a 4.5 and 4.6 at the combine. Sound familiar?? Justin Blackmon. Nicks outran every one of the Packs db's and they all run 4.4 or better. Just as Blackmon outran Prince Amukamara last year, and everyone else this year. Anyone see him get caught from behind?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
No more Kiper, ahhhhhh fuck it he's never going away. :omg:

GM to be named and Jeff Fisher in the war room, pre-Lloyd or post-Lloyd decision, free agency starts March 5, right? Do any of you think this would have a considerable impact either way if in fact we take Blackmon-hypothetically speaking at #2, or #4... I say yes either way he'll be holding up a Rams jersey. AND... not because the Head and Shoulders suave guy said so. :razzed:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Kiper also said Clausen was the best QB in the 2010 draft......How did that work out. Hill was a steal for the Rams etc. etc.
Not saying that Blackmon would be a bad pick at all, but my cat could out draft Kiper.

Am I the only one that wonders if him and McShay sit down and decide which side they will take on each player? Got to have those opposing view points. Their there to put the entertainment in the entertainment sports network.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
Kiper also said Clausen was the best QB in the 2010 draft......How did that work out. Hill was a steal for the Rams etc. etc.
Not saying that Blackmon would be a bad pick at all, but my cat could out draft Kiper.

Am I the only one that wonders if him and McShay sit down and decide which side they will take on each player? Got to have those opposing view points. Their there to put the entertainment in the entertainment sports network.
I don't think anyone buys Kiper's word as gospel, but he has his moments, and he is entertaining if you ask me. I think they do take sides, ESPN seemed to start staging the whole thing a couple years ago. I don't care, the more I hear about the draft the better for me. I can't get enough, but I do my own evaluations. I see things differently than a lot of people, but everyone who puts in their work has their own opinion.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

I don't think anyone buys Kiper's word as gospel, but he has his moments, and he is entertaining if you ask me. I think they do take sides, ESPN seemed to start staging the whole thing a couple years ago. I don't care, the more I hear about the draft the better for me. I can't get enough, but I do my own evaluations. I see things differently than a lot of people, but everyone who puts in their work has their own opinion.

LOL! And many who don't share theirs! Being fans of the Rams, we are probably much more expert on who they should pick than the talking heads. But what do we know?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

You know what DR? I honestly trust your opinion on this more than Kiper. From what I've seen the only draft talking head I really trust is Mike Mayock.

Like most people who've worked in NFL front offices have said, you take a lineman in the first round, because they're harder to find. If you do your homework (and I hope this staff does), you can find WR and RB in later rounds.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

You know what DR? I honestly trust your opinion on this more than Kiper. From what I've seen the only draft talking head I really trust is Mike Mayock.

Like most people who've worked in NFL front offices have said, you take a lineman in the first round, because they're harder to find. If you do your homework (and I hope this staff does), you can find WR and RB in later rounds.

Personally from the Rams have they ever drafted a success Wr in later rounds. We can't put much on Salas and Pettis yet however with Fish and a to be named GM we may actually have better success than years past i.e Brooks Foster and Mardy Gilyard.
We never really went for any Rb either considering ones that were right there for the taking i.e Kendall Hunter, Roy Helu, Jacquizz Rodgers...just saying.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I originally wanted Kalil, because I think an elite LT is one of the rarest finds in the draft, but I am really starting to want Blackmon. Elite WR's are also very hard to come by, and this team hasn't had one in years. Also, isn't this draft deeper at OL than WR?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Faceplant said:
I originally wanted Kalil, because I think an elite LT is one of the rarest finds in the draft, but I am really starting to want Blackmon. Elite WR's are also very hard to come by, and this team hasn't had one in years. Also, isn't this draft deeper at OL than WR?

I feel your pain. I wanted Blackmon but now see the importance of getting Kalil. It's sad we need both so badly. I think the depth at both positions is pretty good this draft but these two are the "elite" WR and OT this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Faceplant said:

I agree with most of what you're saying, but the bonafide left tackle prospects in this draft are extremely rare. There's only three elite left tackles in this draft (Matt Kalil, Jonathan Martin, Riley Reiff), and while Justin Blackmon is a special talent, I can't justify taking him when someone like Mohamed Sanu could fall right into our laps in the second round.

Aside from that, the depth at left tackle in this draft is underwhelming at best and pathetic at worst. Most of the guys in the middle rounds (Cordy Glenn, Kelechi Osemele, and Matt Reynolds, for example) are too slow or small and will end up playing guard in the NFL. A few, like Zebrie Sanders, are much better suited to play right tackle than left (even though some team is probably going to draft him as a left tackle in the second round). Other left tackles (such as Andrew Datko) are prone to injury.

Honestly, the only left tackle I would take is one of Kalil, Martin, or even Reiff (although Reiff has little room to grow), and they will go in the top ten due to the needs of teams.

Wide receiver, on the other hand, has guys like Michael Floyd, Sanu, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, and Tommy Streeter, amongst others to ease the pain if we don't get Blackmon. As an added bonus, the free agent class of wide receivers is very deep (although that's a matter for the other stickied thread).