Kicker Lirim Hajrullahu is the Rams new secret weapon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Kicker Lirim Hajrullahu is the Rams new secret weapon
Bret Stuter

Hallelujah Hajrullahu! If you are not yet familiar with that catchy phrase or what it signifies, you soon will be. You see, Lirim Hajrullahu is the former CFL kicker signed to compete for the LA Rams now vacated kicker role. How good is he? Patience, please. This is a tasty story, so you cannot rush to the dessert before the appetizer and the main course.

The Rams kicking game was devastated when the team lost ST Coordinator John Fassel, ST assistant coach Matt Daniels, and kicker Greg Zuerlein all defected to the Dallas Cowboys. It seemed like everyone was leaving a sinking ship. But the Rams special teams ship was sinking thanks to a horrific year by Zuerlein. In fact, the Rams special teams ranked 18th in the NFL in 2018, and 26th in the NFL in 2019. It was time for a change. The LA Rams now had a blank slate.

New leadership for a new direction

The Rams set about to find new leadership to turn the ship around on special teams. It was not long until the Rams had found their guy, Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego. He quickly added special teams assistant coach Tory Woodbury from the team’s scouting department. Then the team went about adding kickers. The team then signed former XFL kicker Austin MacGinnis and former CFL kicker Lirim Hajrullahu. Finally, the team drafted kicker Sam Sloman in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Now, how will the team pare down the kickers without the opportunity for preseason games, organized team activities, or a normal training practice? Folks, the competition may or may not even take place. But I’m calling this one already in favor of Lirim Hajrullahu. Why? Here is a video of him kicking 75 and 77-yard field goals cleanly through the uprights.

More than a kicker

While Sam Sloman and Austin MacGinnis are excellent kickers in their own right, Lirim Hajrullahu is already as big at the game of professional football. He was a six-year veteran kicker and punter in the CFL. In reality, he was somewhat more than just a kicker. He was somewhat of a CFL celebrity. And why not? He was deadly accurate from long-range, an area the Rams desperately want to address in their next kicker. In his six CFL seasons, he was a two-time All-star and one-time kicker for the winner of the Grey Cup.

But most of all, he is one of the nicest persons to lace up a pair of football cleats. So special, he even has a cover of Hallelujah dedicated to him on Youtube (check it out). He boasts a career 83 percent accuracy, which is even more impressive when you consider the swirling winds which plague CFL games. His six-season statistics can be FOUND HERE. A more detailed set of statistics for his most recent four seasons can be FOUND HERE.

A fire inside

The one thing you do NOT want to see is timidness in an NFL kicker. They are on an island, and therefore must be 100 percent locked in and confident. So it’s very encouraging to see this statement from Hajrullahu:

“I’ve had professional experience, I’ve played in big games and I believe I can compete with the best of them.”-per RamsNFL tweet

So it’s safe to state he has no lack of confidence. But can he handle playing for the LA Rams in the likelihood of no fans in the stands? My guess is that not only is he equipped to handle it, but he will be an asset throughout the entire season. He is engaging, personable, and proficient.

I’m not certain how the LA Rams will decide who gets the starting kicker job, but my guess is that Lirim Hajrullahu will likely end up with the job.

The Rams suffered through a season where Zuerlein made just five of eleven from 40+ yards. For comparison purposes, Lirim Hajrullahu was a perfect 31 for 31 at 40+ yards over the past two seasons. That is not just better scoring. That translates into wins, folks. The Rams just missed winning several games in 2019 due to their special teams play. Perhaps if the Rams keep Lirim Hajrullahu, we’ll all be singing “Hallelujah Hajrullahu!” before the 2020 season is over?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Is anybody gonna read a story about a kicker?

I did. (y)

CGI turns to mirror, smiles, says to self...

tenor.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That Stuter guy really shouldn't be writing.... At least professionally. He's awful.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Only other problem with the story is it’s based on bullshit.

According to the stats page linked in the article, Lirim was a perfect 93 for 93 in field goals made and attempted for the last 2 seasons. Sounds too good to be true? It is.

Kinda hard to get accurate FG data on the CFL for some reason. I posted Lirim’s splits on an earlier thread. He’s great from 50+ and short kicks, but he has struggled in the key 40-49 range.

Flint

Pro Bowler
What really happened with the special teams? Bones was a beloved member of the staff, one of the few holdovers from the train wreck of the Fisher era. Zeurline was clutch and pretty good from distance, see the nfc championship. Next thing you know there are bizarre special teams gaffes and the once reliable Greg the leg is a shell of himself. Bones is left hanging on his extension and clearly is on his way out the door to be quickly scooped up by them cowboys.
So what happened? Everyone says nice things about each other but how do you go from one of the best in the game to don’t let the door hit you.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So what happened? Everyone says nice things about each other but how do you go from one of the best in the game to don’t let the door hit you.

It appears that although Fassel was beloved, he overstepped calling a fake punt in his own territory without the Head Coach knowing it. Now, I'm sure Fassel was empowered, but IMO, no Special Team Coach should have that type of authority and again I believe Fassel overstepped, just based on McVay's reaction.

Add in that two years statistically the unit was in decline and when the Dallas Cowboys came calling everything just lined up for both going in a new direction. Now I love John Fassel and I do believe he's one of the best special team coaches in the NFL, but there is a level of trust you have to have with your assistants and IMO, Fassel making that call on his own, which I believe he did, betrayed that trust so things like this happen and coaches like players move on.

Enter John Bonamego, who is a seasoned special team coach, however, his units have not enjoyed the success of Fassel's as Bonamego's best unit was last year overall with the Lions, but his greatest strength has been with his Kickers & Punters over the years, so maybe Bonamego will make the right choice when it comes to the new kicker.

I find it interesting that the article mentions that Bonamego quickly hired Tory Woodbury as his assistant, I believe that was part of the agreement when taking the job, IMO, the Rams wanted Woodbury as part of their coaching staff and maybe the long range plan is to eventually promote Woodbury to the Special Teams Coach down the road, but I do believe Woodbury is a nice addition to the staff and with Bonamego I'm sure he's not the type to pull a Fassel as Bonamego was the Head Coach of Central Michigan, so I'm sure he's all about protocol.

Ram65

Legend
It appears that although Fassel was beloved, he overstepped calling a fake punt in his own territory without the Head Coach knowing it. Now, I'm sure Fassel was empowered, but IMO, no Special Team Coach should have that type of authority and again I believe Fassel overstepped, just based on McVay's reaction.

Add in that two years statistically the unit was in decline and when the Dallas Cowboys came calling everything just lined up for both going in a new direction. Now I love John Fassel and I do believe he's one of the best special team coaches in the NFL, but there is a level of trust you have to have with your assistants and IMO, Fassel making that call on his own, which I believe he did, betrayed that trust so things like this happen and coaches like players move on.

Enter John Bonamego, who is a seasoned special team coach, however, his units have not enjoyed the success of Fassel's as Bonamego's best unit was last year overall with the Lions, but his greatest strength has been with his Kickers & Punters over the years, so maybe Bonamego will make the right choice when it comes to the new kicker.

I find it interesting that the article mentions that Bonamego quickly hired Tory Woodbury as his assistant, I believe that was part of the agreement when taking the job, IMO, the Rams wanted Woodbury as part of their coaching staff and maybe the long range plan is to eventually promote Woodbury to the Special Teams Coach down the road, but I do believe Woodbury is a nice addition to the staff and with Bonamego I'm sure he's not the type to pull a Fassel as Bonamego was the Head Coach of Central Michigan, so I'm sure he's all about protocol.

I think Fassel knew he was not going to have his contract renewed before the ill-timed fake punt. I don't think he would have done it had his contract been renewed.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1211408978904801282

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Fassel knew he was not going to have his contract renewed before the ill-timed fake punt. I don't think he would have done it had his contract been renewed.

I guess that's possible, but the fake punt was the icing on the cake. Again I believe Fassel is one of the premier special team coaches in the NFL and IMO, John Bonamego has been average, but sometimes, it's best to part ways and maybe both will prosper with the changes.

Ram65

Legend
I guess that's possible, but the fake punt was the icing on the cake. Again I believe Fassel is one of the premier special team coaches in the NFL and IMO, John Bonamego has been average, but sometimes, it's best to part ways and maybe both will prosper with the changes.

The Rams special teams had faded in the last two years under Fassel. It was time for a change.

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

According to the stats page linked in the article, Lirim was a perfect 93 for 93 in field goals made and attempted for the last 2 seasons. Sounds too good to be true? It is.

Kinda hard to get accurate FG data on the CFL for some reason. I posted Lirim’s splits on an earlier thread. He’s great from 50+ and short kicks, but he has struggled in the key 40-49 range.
Damn, you just had to point out that pesky 40-49 yard thing, may I remind you we are still a little shell-shocked? over that pertinent little...detail o_O:biggrin:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Damn, you just had to point out that pesky 40-49 yard thing, may I remind you we are still a little shell-shocked? over that pertinent little...detail o_O:biggrin:

FWIW Sloman was 7-9 from 40-49 yards last year and 3 of 3 from the distance in the MAC Title Game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1596389424271.png

One of the most important and unpredictable position battles in camp for the Rams will undoubtedly be at kicker. They have three kickers who have never played in the NFL competing for the job to replace Greg Zuerlein, and it’s impossible to tell as of now which player will emerge on top.

Lirim Hajrullahu hails from the CFL where he was one of the best kickers in the league. He was the first kicker added by the Rams before Austin MacGinnis was added as a free agent and Sam Sloman was drafted in the seventh round.

Hajrullahu saw the Rams as a good opportunity for him to advance his career despite being 30 years old and having no NFL experience. In an interview with 3DownNation, Hajrullahu explained why he picked the Rams over five other teams that were interested.

“They were adaptive to the situation with COVID-19. It happened pretty quick,” he said of the Rams. “We were talking with them and five other teams. Even after I signed there were a couple teams that called and were surprised I had signed so quickly.

“Overall LA was the best scenario for myself because it’s an open competition. You don’t have a veteran guy that’s guaranteed a couple million already. It’s open and it’s up to me now.”

Hajrullahu is right: It is an open competition. The Rams have shown no preference to any of the three kickers, aside from maybe the fact that they spent a draft pick on Sloman after already signing Hajrullahu and MacGinnis.

But when it comes to kicking, the most accurate and consistent player will win out. It won’t come down to potential or upside because teams don’t exercise patience with kickers. They’re asked to contribute on a weekly basis and can’t simply stay on the roster as a backup.

Hajrullahu is thrilled to be playing in Los Angeles and is excited to hopefully capitalize on the opportunity he now has.

“To go play a sport in the NFL in LA, honestly for my parents and my whole family, we can’t fathom it. Timing is everything. Right timing, right team. You just have to take the opportunity and run with it,” he said.

theramswire.usatoday.com]

Ram65

Legend
He has been kicking mostly outdoors with only one dome stadium in the CFL and on artificial turf.

I'm wondering if kickers are allowed to kick early when they get to camp?

Anyone know if they can since they are not having any contact.

That would help the Rams evaluate the three kickers faster. Having to wait two weeks or whatever it is for them to practice kicking seems like a waste of valuable time.

oldnotdead

Legend

Yes, it's very hard to breakdown Lirim's actual kicking stats. In my research, I came across probably the same database the article used showing him being 9 for 9 between 40-49 yards. In other databases, he's in the mid 80% last year with an overall success rate career-wise of in the mid 80 percentile range each year. That beats Zuerline who only exceeded 80% once or twice in his career.

You also must take into effect that he's playing in cold weather outside so the ball is hard and heavy. NFL kickers stats are inflated because of all the warm weather and stadium games they play each year. Zuerlein's crucial misses last year weren't in particularly poor weather. Also, you must remember the differences in the Canadian field. The closer the kick the worse the angle because the goalposts are right on the goal line with a wider field creating difficult angles.

Lirim has proven to be a far more consistent kicker than Zuerlein in more difficult conditions and under pressure closer to what he will face in the NFL than some rookie from the NCAA. The college game and the NFL are two different animals and consistency and precision is the name of the game which is why more than ever rookie college kicking prospects are training at academies specific to kicking. That doesn't ensure success, but it points out the differences in the collegiate game and the NFL.

In 2019 he was 10/10 at 50+ yards with a career playoff success percentage of 87% which included a game-winner in the Grey Cup game. His technique is similar to that used by successful NFL kickers. Bonamego is well versed in judging kickers by the way. The bottom line is Lirim's success rate under more difficult conditions over multiple years can't be ignored. Now add in multiple pressure kicks and his consistent technique and IMO the Rams would make a huge mistake if they went with Sloman over Lirim. I think Sloman is destined for the protected Practice Squad status this year and Lirim will be the starter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yes, it's very hard to breakdown Lirim's actual kicking stats. In my research, I came across probably the same database the article used showing him being 9 for 9 between 40-49 yards. In other databases, he's in the mid 80% last year with an overall success rate career-wise of in the mid 80 percentile range each year. That beats Zuerline who only exceeded 80% once or twice in his career.

You also must take into effect that he's playing in cold weather outside so the ball is hard and heavy. NFL kickers stats are inflated because of all the warm weather and stadium games they play each year. Zuerlein's crucial misses last year weren't in particularly poor weather. Also, you must remember the differences in the Canadian field. The closer the kick the worse the angle because the goalposts are right on the goal line with a wider field creating difficult angles.

Lirim has proven to be a far more consistent kicker than Zuerlein in more difficult conditions and under pressure closer to what he will face in the NFL than some rookie from the NCAA. The college game and the NFL are two different animals and consistency and precision is the name of the game which is why more than ever rookie college kicking prospects are training at academies specific to kicking. That doesn't ensure success, but it points out the differences in the collegiate game and the NFL.

In 2019 he was 10/10 at 50+ yards with a career playoff success percentage of 87% which included a game-winner in the Grey Cup game. His technique is similar to that used by successful NFL kickers. Bonamego is well versed in judging kickers by the way. The bottom line is Lirim's success rate under more difficult conditions over multiple years can't be ignored. Now add in multiple pressure kicks and his consistent technique and IMO the Rams would make a huge mistake if they went with Sloman over Lirim. I think Sloman is destined for the protected Practice Squad status this year and Lirim will be the starter.

So, why did he play 6 years in the CFL? The NFL is usually the place the best end up.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
FWIW Sloman was 7-9 from 40-49 yards last year and 3 of 3 from the distance in the MAC Title Game.
Not so sure 7-9 from 40-49 is acceptable, fair to middling perhaps, GZ was nails throughout (tho he did cost us dearly in Seattle) tho apparently he’s been having issues staying 100%

We have a potential huge void here, one of the things I’ve learned in my half century of following football is you just can’t be sure how a kicker translates to the NFL

I like the fact the Canuck has professional experience just as the dark horse candidate does, albeit xfl