Kenny Young

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do any of you guys think Kenny has upscale talent that hasn’t developed yet? I know we got him in the Peters trade, but haven’t heard much about him on this board.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Don't know if this helps. His draft profile:

POSITIVES

—Legitimate sideline-to-sideline speed; can pursue boundary runs to the strong side.

—Coverage ability to stay on the field on third down whether matched up in man or zone coverage.

—Solid fluidity to open up and run when reads are clear to the edge.

—Short-area agility to restrict cutback lanes and weave through traffic.

—Identifies responsibilities and rarely deviates or freelances.

NEGATIVES

—One-track player who won't make the game-changing flash plays in multiple phases as a defender.

—He's routinely late in all phases; he's late to diagnose, late to fire feet and late to get downhill.

—Not the kind of banger teams want at linebacker and will have to develop technique to mask deficiencies.

—Elects to dip around blocks rather than take them on and disengage.

—Toughness and consistent hustle/effort is a concern.

OVERALL

Kenny Young is a good athlete who can become locked on to specific roles on a play-to-play basis. In some ways that helps his projection if a team bets on consistency. At the same time, teams will want to see him make decisions out of structure that create some of the game-changing plays to win games. He's an immediate special teams contributor who should hold a spot during training camp.

>>>>> He started 6 games for the Ravens.....3 in 2018 and 3 in 2019. The Rams took him so there's that but that was with Wade Phillips in charge of the D.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Here is some good film breakdown by a Ravens Fan. Looks like Kenny is not LATE in reading and reacting like report above states.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wade sure did not utilize him. New DC Staley might have a different opinion on Young.

With the loss of veterans like LB'er Matthews/ Littleton/ Hager & hybrid LB/safety Christian there might be a need for his experience of have started 6 or more games for two seasons (2017/2018) with the Ravens prior to the 2019 Ram season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
POSITIVES

—Legitimate sideline-to-sideline speed; can pursue boundary runs to the strong side.

—Coverage ability to stay on the field on third down whether matched up in man or zone coverage.

—Solid fluidity to open up and run when reads are clear to the edge.

—Short-area agility to restrict cutback lanes and weave through traffic.

—Identifies responsibilities and rarely deviates or freelances.

I think you see a lot of this (that speed) , here;

View: https://youtu.be/edKSNH0j7Nk

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If they guy's a backup, I do like the idea of not freelancing and just maintaining his responsibility. Too many guys get caught out of position when trying to make a big play. If you're not that elite athlete, maybe its just better to hold your responsibility and not give up a big play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If they guy's a backup, I do like the idea of not freelancing and just maintaining his responsibility. Too many guys get caught out of position when trying to make a big play. If you're not that elite athlete, maybe its just better to hold your responsibility and not give up a big play.
i.e. Marcus Peters(y);)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
At this point I think Young is an enigma.

Wade apparently really wanted him and Rams specifically demanded him in the Peters trade. But Wade is now gone and there’s a new DC that has specific types of LB’s that he desires.

So, that leaves Young back at square one, it seems. His Ram future could be anywhere from potential starter inside as a Littleton replacement to a mere ST player that barely makes the roster. That is a very wide spectrum, indeed.

All I can say is to just stay tuned regarding Young.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If there is a preseason, give Young as much playing time as you can to see if he's worthy, if the preseason is limited along with practice time, there might be players cut that never really received a chance.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
At this point I think Young is an enigma.

Wade apparently really wanted him and Rams specifically demanded him in the Peters trade. But Wade is now gone and there’s a new DC that has specific types of LB’s that he desires.

So, that leaves Young back at square one, it seems. His Ram future could be anywhere from potential starter inside as a Littleton replacement to a mere ST player that barely makes the roster. That is a very wide spectrum, indeed.

All I can say is to just stay tuned regarding Young.
If Wade really wanted him and he still didn't play much, that basically tells us what we need to know. I'm not expecting the guy to contribute but maybe our new DC can find a way to use him.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Wade apparently really wanted him and Rams specifically demanded him in the Peters trade.
I don't know if that's true. The Rams originally wanted Joel Bitonio from the Browns. Th Browns said no, so the Rams traded with the Ravens. I think that trade was more about saving cap space and getting a draft pick, which was used to acquire Ramsey. Getting Young imo was just a bonus. I don't think Young would've played 0 defensive snaps if Wade actually wanted him.

Ram65

Legend
He has the speed to cover so that gives him a chance. He seems to be quick on the pass rush which gives him the versatility Staley wants in a Lber. I think he can stick as a backup because he is versatile and gets a shot at starting.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Young will get a full training camp, which will help, but he will have to battle for his roster spot. Rams will draft a player for the spot, to replace Littleton.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO one of the things that got Wade fired was his reluctance to use the young players. So his not being used last year shouldn't necessarily be construed as a bad thing. Young simply has needed good coaching to develop. I see no reason he can't become a very good ILB. He's got skills and talent that he did flash at Baltimore. In 30 games he's got 60 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 FF, and 1 PD. That doesn't sound like a guy that is always late. Remember the Ravens run the same basic defensive scheme as Baltimore so Kenny has shown he's a solid scheme fit.

He looks like an emerging young talent that could develop into a quality ILB with the speed to cover which was lacking in Littleton. With Kiser, Young & Howard they have speed and the versatility in how to play them they lacked before. All three have flashed enough to validate their place on this team. At this point this looks like a good ILB unit. If they have a weakness it's at the SAM position behind Ebukam. There simply isn't another OLB on the roster that combines the speed and versatility that Samson brings to the table. If they draft a LB look for it to be Ebukam's rotational backup. Floyd can play the position but not as well as Samson. Floyd is in reality a 4-3 DE edge type of player who is designated an OLB in this hybrid scheme. In that role I expect Floyd to be just fine.

oldnotdead

Legend
Sorry that should say the Rams run the same defensive scheme as the Raven's. Hate working off my old laptop. Old eyes and such.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry that should say the Rams run the same defensive scheme as the Raven's. Hate working off my old laptop. Old eyes and such.

Well Wade made a HUGE mistake & might have cost The Rams a playoff spot. Everyone wants to talk about The Young O”lineman.
Freaking Wade had Slow & no Range Greg Gaines in with no talent small DT Smart in on 2 plays having the 9ers backed in. Donald comes running in after 2 long plays against the defense hitting his helmet seeming frustrated.
Just think Edwards & Evans will be & are better players than Gaines & Smart needs to go. Bye Wade
Wade meant a lot to The Rams & Mcvay. Just think Mcvay will be better now having an OC like O’Connell & Staley as his DC where he has more of a say.

Never knew why Kenny Young never showed up from the Peters trade. Still remember Peters taking a couple TD’s to the house & the Ravens running it up on The Rams.
The upside was Corbett being a Ram for a 2020 5th & is the starting LG next to Whitworth. Can’t wAit to see what he can do with training camp. If not he is still way ahead of any ROOKIE who will not be picked by The Rams, especially no one for a 5 th. Thanks MCSNEAD. Almost got The Rams to the playoffs.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
With a new DC in town, who's really 'safe'? Donald, Ramsey, Brockers, Robinson, Floyd, Rapp, JJ.....beyond that who? The beneficiary will be Ram fans because guys we may not have thought much of could explode if given the chance. Maybe Kizer is a beast. Maybe Kenny Young. Maybe Obo or Polite. Ya just never know. Everybody, with the exception of those stars (and even them) need to earn a roster spot.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had a solid Rookie season and then fell off of a cliff in year two. So it's inconclusive.