Kaepernick blames criticism on “stereotypes, prejudice”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is like throwing raw meat to some hungry dogs. So here you go....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kaepernick blames criticism on “stereotypes, prejudice”
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2014

kaepernick1.jpg
Getty Images

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick gets unfairly criticized, according to former NFL quarterback Chris Simms. In a video interview for Bleacher Report, Simms loaded that assumption into a question regarding why Kaepernick believes he gets a raw deal.

Stereotypes, prejudice,” Kaepernick said. “Whatever you want to call it. I think between the tattoos, the way I dress, the way I talk. People don’t think it should go together with a franchise quarterback or something that’s leading the team or representing the organization.”

But who has criticized Kaepernick other than the one columnist who made a big deal about Kaepernick’s tattoos back in 2012? Other than his misadventures with a Miami Dolphins hat, no one has criticized Kaepernick for his clothing. And no one has ever criticized Kaepernick based on the way he talks.

For the most part, Kaepernick has escaped widespread criticism for his performance, even though he averaged a mere 185 yards passing last year from Week Two through Week 17. (For the entire 19 regular-season and postseason games, he averaged fewer than 200 passing yards per game.) Last year at this time, Ron Jaworski generated three days of SportsCenter churn by declaring that Kaepernick could be one of the best quarterbacks in not in the league, but in the history of the league.

In recent months, Kaepernick has been criticized for agreeing to a contract that doesn’t reflect his value to the franchise, especially if as Simms declares at the outset of the interview Kaepernick is one of the five best quarterbacks in the league. (If every guy who has been called a top-five quarterback actually was one, there would be at least 15 top-five quarterbacks.) But Kaepernick has been fairly criticized for doing a deal that was too team friendly.

He insisted on too little guaranteed money. He committed for seven years, through 2020. He agreed to annual April 1 triggers for converting money guaranteed for injury-only to fully guaranteed payments, a ridiculously late offseason deadline that gives the team the ability to explore all options via trade and free agency before re-committing to Kaepernick. He agreed to buy, at an estimated $2 million in pre-tax earnings, a disability policy that would give the 49ers $20 million if he suffers any injury, on the field or off, that ends his career — even though the 49ers aren’t obligated to pay him for any non-football injuries.

“I think it’s a great deal for both sides,” Kaepernick told Simms. “The NFL is a performance-based business. So you should have to perform to earn some of your money. At the same time, I realize that my success isn’t because of just what I do out there. I have great teammates around me that make plays, and I want to continue to have good teammates around me, so the contract allows the organization to keep those players.”

Kaepernick could have negotiated a contract that pays him more like one of the best five quarterbacks in the league, and that also allows the team to put a competitive roster around him. Other teams do it with franchise quarterbacks. The contract — not the tattoos or the clothes or anything else — makes it hard to call Kaepernick a franchise quarterback. He’ll now have to overcome the perception created by his contract by averaging a lot more than 185 yards per game passing or by delivering an on-target throw when the season depends on it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No, Kaeperdick, it's not your tattoos; plenty of people have tattoos, and they shouldn't be criticized for them unless they're gang-related. It's not your clothes; plenty of people have different styles. No, I just can't stand you because your fucking ego makes Napoleon look like a saint in comparison.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I hate asshole like this, who cry prejudice in situations that aren't about it, then get people who are really being discriminated fucked because they have a harder time making people believe them because all people see are the times people cried wolf, never when there was actually a wolf.

People criticize you because you're a crappy gimmick QB that can't do anything when a team sends a single spy to keep you from scampering off and when that happens you average 3.1 yards per pass, then you primp yourself up and promenade like a big man while putting up back up numbers. Not because of how you look.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm a fan of Warren Moon, Daunte Culpepper, and Steve McNair. Kaepernick sucks.

Huh...
3772910-2072828472-leona.gif

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
So....there was a thread about the demise of the Niners in which I defended them and thought they were still a threat to win the Super Bowl. I retract that statement after reading this.

Their leader is such a little baby. My goodness, give him some tissues.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Maybe becuase you're a huge douchebag and you have bible tattoos covering your whole body... I mean Chris Long is covered in tattoos, but he's a nice dude.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
He signed a dumb deal for himself and his future, but a great deal for his team.

Irish

Starter
Robert Griffin III
Geno Smith
EJ Manuel
Michael Vick

This isn't 1998, Kaepernick. We don't care about anything as long as you can play football.

Quit being a dick.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't give a crap about tattoos. I have some. Everybody does nowadays. It's the way you showcase yourself on and off the field. The whole Miami hat thing was a disgrace and if Bradford ever did that I would hate him too. Just be a damn professional.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's just a dumbass for talking like a gang banger. He can speak perfect english, but he chooses not to.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Robert Griffin III
Geno Smith
EJ Manuel
Michael Vick

This isn't 1998, Kaepernick. We don't care about anything as long as you can play football.

Quit being a dick.
Don't you mean '88? That's when Williams was Superbowl MVP.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's just a dumbass for talking like a gang banger. He can speak perfect english, but he chooses not to.

That's one thing I think that is disgraceful and disrespectful. He was raised in a lily white community by a white family and spoke normal American English. Now he tries to sound "ghetto" and "gangsta" as if that's going to give him credibility or get him some respect. He actually changed the way he spoke and posted in social media in an attempt to alter his image.

To me that's just plain insecure and tells me he isn't all that bright.