JT Chat Highlights: No Release/Restructure for Sam or Tag for Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
JT Chat Highlights—The Rams owe Bradford $27 million over the final 2 years of his contract. That’s not exorbitant for a starting NFL quarterback. So the only way you could restructure is with a restructure/extension. I just can’t see agent Tom Condon doing that in a year where Bradford is coming off an injury that forced him to miss more than half the season.

—I don’t know how often I can say this: The Rams aren’t releasing Bradford. They aren’t restructuring his contract (short of an accompanying extension, which I don’t think will happen.).

—Re-Signing Saffold? Two factors complicate this: 1.) A very small sample size of Saffold at guard. 2.) Saffold’s injury history. So I’m going to guess $5 million a year? And Saffold may want to shop around.

—Saffold a Ram Next Year? I’m going to say 35-65.

—Transition Tag for Saffold? Can’t see it happening, because the transition tag is pretty high: it was $8.7 million.

— Ogletree D-ROY? To be honest, there really hasn’t been much of a conversation for defensive rookie of the year. But I think he should be a strong candidate. He has really improved over the second half of the season.

—Bailey as #1 WR? We’ll see. He runs such good routes for a rookie. And his hands remind me of Torry Holt. He just plucks the ball out of the air. But we’ve got such a small sample size so far.

—Wells and Dahl Both Gone? I’m not ready to say that. Right now, if I had to speculate, I’d say one of the two will be gone. As for Barnes vs. Jones at center, the Rams feel Jones isn’t ready to play just yet. We’ll see what happens after an offseason to get bigger and stronger for Jones. Jones actually has gotten most of his practice reps at guard this season _ prior to Wells’ injury, that is. So he could very well end up at guard.

—Bailey Like Holt? Not to overhype the guys but I remember in training camp, Torry Holt thought Bailey reminded him of himself. I was very surprised to here that. I don’t think Bailey is as fast as Holt, but I guess there are some similarities including some of the stuff you are mentioning.

—Draft Another WR? That’s a very good question. And I’m sure one the Rams will think long and hard about it before the draft in May. Although the Rams will still be a run-first team next season, I certainly think they’ll throw more with Bradford back in the lineup. You need more than just a strong running game when you’re playing elite defenses. It looks like Bailey and Austin will be among the top three WRs to open 2014. Do they think Givens will progress or Quick progress enough to take that other spot in the top 3? That’s the question.

—Draft a QB? As we sit here right now, I’d say yes _ the Rams need to draft a QB somewhere in the middle rounds. It seems like Clemens has been around forever, but he’s only 30. He should have several playable years _ as you called it _ remaining. But Bradford has only two years left on his contract, and I really think they need to draft and groom a younger QB _ and keep 3 QBs on the 53-man roster.

—Rams Soft Coverage? As to your question, at least lately, a lot of those open receivers you’ve seen have come when the Rams have softened up their coverage with a lead. But overall, I’m seeing what you’re seeing. I’d like to see more press coverage, and more improved and instinctive play in zone coverage. Too often, I see Rams LBs and DBs in zone reading the quarterback’s eyes and not being tuned in enough to what receivers are doing in their area. The Rams need to upgrade their talent in the back end as well _ another starting caliber CB and a free safety with range.

—I think the only way Schottenheimer leaves is if someone hires him as a head coach. I don’t think Walton goes, either, not after one year. But as one of our chatters pointed out last week, I’m curious to see what happens if Jim Schwartz gets fired as head coach in Detroit. He was a d-coordinator for Fisher in Tennessee.

Read All Chat Highlights

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with most all said. LB'ers...On Dunbar I think he will move on. Fisher have three rookies under contract...Armstrong-Bates & Steward. Armstrong to fill the Dunbar role & Bates & Steward fill the Spoon role.

JT was correct that the secondary will under go major overhaul & has vacancy's. CF will be gone. Depends how Fishers goes about it with McLeod moving to the Nickle or staying @ safety?? Looks like 2 CB's & 1 safety to me with Rodney McLeod remaining at safety. First & second day additions are a must.

I thinking that these three units stay much the same. Present 6 young WR's will stay with no major addition. The current 4 TE's will stay with no major addition. The current 5 young RB's will stay with no major. Yes a QB will be drafted early third day probability.

I disagree with JT on some of the OL...Rams must release Wells & Dahl for several very good reasons. This OL unit will see new low cost UFA's & talented OT's arriving.

V3

Hall of Fame
If Saffold only costs $5 million, I'd do it. He's proven to be very versatile and from what we've seen of him at OG, he looks amazing. A guy that can play 4 spots on the line very well for $5 mil? sign me up. I'm over my worries of him being injured. I think that worry has now moved onto Long.

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree with most all said. LB'ers...On Dunbar I think he will move on. Fisher have three rookies under contract...Armstrong-Bates & Steward. Armstrong to fill the Dunbar role & Bates & Steward fill the Spoon role.

JT was correct that the secondary will under go major overhaul & has vacancy's. CF will be gone. Depends how Fishers goes about it with McLeod moving to the Nickle or staying @ safety?? Looks like 2 CB's & 1 safety to me with Rodney McLeod remaining at safety. First & second day additions are a must.

I thinking that these three units stay much the same. Present 6 young WR's will stay with no major addition. The current 4 TE's will stay with no major addition. The current 5 young RB's will stay with no major. Yes a QB will be drafted early third day probability.

I disagree with JT on some of the OL...Rams must release Wells & Dahl for several very good reasons. This OL unit will see new low cost UFA's & talented OT's arriving.

What 6 WR's? Austin, Bailey, Givens, and Quick will all be here for sure. Pettis' contract is over, if I'm not mistaken, and he's not valuable enough to re-sign. They've barely been using him lately which tells you they're ready to let Bailey take over his role. The only other WR I know of is Veltung and I don't see him being irreplaceable.

I'm of the opinion that WR is one of those positions that you draft at least one every year and hope they turn into something. The Rams are anything but set at WR. I personally think Bailey has already shown he's the best of the group and that should be pretty telling. The Rams need a true #1. They should draft one somewhere in the first 3 three rounds- 4th at the latest.

If Saffold only costs $5 million, I'd do it. He's proven to be very versatile and from what we've seen of him at OG, he looks amazing. A guy that can play 4 spots on the line very well for $5 mil? sign me up. I'm over my worries of him being injured. I think that worry has now moved onto Long.

$5 million, 3 years, $9 million up front (Wells and Dahl savings), $3 million over the next two is a dream come true if workable.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What 6 WR's? Austin, Bailey, Givens, and Quick will all be here for sure. Pettis' contract is over, if I'm not mistaken, and he's not valuable enough to re-sign. They've barely been using him lately which tells you they're ready to let Bailey take over his role. The only other WR I know of is Veltung and I don't see him being irreplaceable.

I'm of the opinion that WR is one of those positions that you draft at least one every year and hope they turn into something. The Rams are anything but set at WR. I personally think Bailey has already shown he's the best of the group and that should be pretty telling. The Rams need a true #1. They should draft one somewhere in the first 3 three rounds- 4th at the latest.

Yes Stedman Bailey is super impressive.These 6 WR's are currently on the Rams 53 master roster Bailey-Austin-Givens-Quick-Pettis-Veltung. Plus all are under contract for the upcoming 2014 season.

Snead & Fisher have doubled up on your desired one drafted WR each yr...Fisher has drafted two in 2012 & two in 2013 so I think they can take a few yrs off from drafting any. Looks to me they are ahead by a few . :heh: lets get some mileage out of all these tires before buying some new ones. Hey V3 I think all these receivers still have the white tire information tag on them for lack of use.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think $5m is a pipe dream. Saffold has shown his value in the run game at guard and the rams want to run the ball. $7m is the more likely range.

RFIP

If available, Watkins is a no brainer, and just way too good to pass up. Not to mention, he plays in the SEC, another high mark for Fisher.

Alan

Legend
SC-Ram78 pulling the stopper out of the bottle:
I agree with wanting Watkins. But he plays in the ACC.

Welcome to the ROD SC. :woot:

Finally, a new member whose name I can pronounce.

Somebody stole most of my smileys so you're not getting my normally exuberant greeting.:disappoint:

SC-Ram78

Rookie
Haha, thanks for the warm greeting :) I wasn't trying to make my name easy to pronounce. I'm just not creative lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dahl needs to go. He's played poorly this year. With all of Wells's injuries and age, I think I'd let him go too...especially with Barnes playing solidly and seemingly improving each game.

I also think we should hire Schwartz as DC if he comes available. Him and Fisher have worked well together before. Although he was up and down in Tennessee as their DC.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think $5m is a pipe dream. Saffold has shown his value in the run game at guard and the rams want to run the ball. $7m is the more likely range.

I agree it's a pipe dream. I think Saffold will be closer to $7 or $8 mil.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think $7 million sounds about right to me. If we can structure the deal correctly, we might be able to keep him and get the best of both worlds at $7 million.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dahl needs to go. He's played poorly this year. With all of Wells's injuries and age, I think I'd let him go too...especially with Barnes playing solidly and seemingly improving each game.

I also think we should hire Schwartz as DC if he comes available. Him and Fisher have worked well together before. Although he was up and down in Tennessee as their DC.

^ All of this!

RFIP

Don't get me wrong, I like Saffold but with Long injured I can just see us resigning RS for big $ and him going down opening day....and we are left with both our T's out day 1.