JT Chat Highlights: LaCanfora Bradford Story Makes No Sense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT Chat Highlights

—The LaCanfora story doesn’t make much sense to me. If you were going to put Bradford on the market, why not do it at the start of the free agency period, when you’d have more leverage. If other teams are interested in trading for Bradford because they’re not sold on the top QBs in the draft (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater), then why would the Rams want to trade Bradford for the same QBs that nobody else likes?

—1.) Rams aren’t trading Bradford. 2.) If you trade Bradford, who plays QB for you? A rookie QB who multiple QB-needy teams don’t want?

—Saffold? They view him as a guard. (Although he could open the season at LT if Jake Long isn’t ready.)

—No, I don’t think the fact that Jadeveon Clowney decided not to do private workouts will have much if any impact on his draft status. After what happened to Clemson’s Brandon Thomas, I wouldn’t blame any high draft prospect for not working out. How much do teams need to see of a guy, anyway, especially if he is a full participant in his pro day? I had a well-respect agent tell me nearly a month ago that he’s never seen so many private workouts scheduled as there has been this year. Maybe that’s a result of the draft being pushed back two weeks. But with so many private workouts, maybe an injury like Thomas’ was inevitable.

—I could live with any of the three: Watkins, Robinson, Matthews. This is a draft where I really don’t have a strong opinion on who the Rams should, or should not take in the first round. There are what appear to be a lot of viable options. If you could tell me that the Rams could get a Day 1 offensive-line starter at No. 13 overall or even in the second round, I would say take Watkins. But I don’t know if that’ll be the case.

—If Clowney’s available, I think the Rams take him over an offensive tackle.

—Tavon Austin is kind of a category all his own. In terms of “classic” receiver skills, I don’t think that’s him. But we’ve seen his impressive big-play skills as a rookie, and I think that’s what you’re looking for from him more than anything else. Remember now, he missed the last three games of the regular season _ as well as part of that Dec. 8 game in Arizona when he got hurt _ so his stats as a rookie could’ve been even more impressive. I would expect him to be more polished and the Rams to have a better idea of what works and what doesn’t work with him this season.

—I guess I wouldn’t be shocked if they drafted a running back at some point in May especially if they keep all or most of their 12 picks. But I think the Rams, for the most part, like what they have at RB.

—According to Kevin Demoff, Wi-Fi will be part of the 2014 improvements, as will a better sound system in the dome. The Rams aren’t operating as if they expect to leave St. Louis on this sort of stuff. My expectation is that the lease will expire after the 2014 season, and then the Rams will go on a year to year lease for at least the next few years while they try to get the stadium situation resolved.

—The Rams parameters remain the same, I think. In no particular order: A.) Take Clowney; B.) Take one of the top 3 offensive linemen, probably Matthews or Robinson; 3.) Take Watkins; 4.) Trade down. Any trade-down scenarios will develop late, probably on draft day.

—Cook and the Rams offense as a whole (coaching staff included) _ didn’t respond well to the extra attention he got after that first game. And sure, you have to figure Cook’s numbers will be better under Bradford.

—I’ll stick with what I had in my last mock draft: Jake Matthews.

—I think the Rams like Trumaine at corner. But the team still needs a nickel back.

—Although they saw improvement in McLeod as the season progressed and liked his versatility (playing both free safety and nickel back), I think they’d like a rangier safety on the back end.

—Where would Jones/Austin Rate in this year’s draft? I’m not sure among centers. But if Jones was coming off foot surgery as was the case last year, it would certainly affect his draft status. As for Austin, I think he’d be considered among the top WRs, but probably not THE top _ as was the case last year. I had one scout, many weeks ago, tell me he didn’t think Austin would be a first-round pick this year, not just because of the depth at the WR position, but because of the overall level of talent at the top of this draft.

—I’d like to see the Rams come out of the draft witht a starting-caliber offensive lineman, starting caliber safety, starting caliber cornerback. And if they can get a starting caliber wide receiver as well, even better. Interesting that you mention the long pre-draft process, because some teams are giving their scouts time off between now and the draft to avoid “paralysis by over-analysis.”

—I’ve said for quite some time that I didn’t see the sizzle at the top of this QB class in terms of franchise-type talent. Again, any trade involving the No. 2 pick will develop late. Even if Clowney goes to Houston, Atlanta might still covet Khalil Mack as it seeks to upgrade its pass rush. I think the No. 2 pick is very valuable to the Rams even if they stay put.

Read Remaining Chat Highlights

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
abTMkS8.jpg
hKSQOWC.jpg