Jrry32's Second Stafford Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is my second mock after the Stafford trade. I tried to change things up a bit.
Departing Free Agents
OLB Leonard Floyd
SS John Johnson III
CB Troy Hill
OL Austin Blythe
HB Malcolm Brown
TE Gerald Everett
WR Josh Reynolds
DL Morgan Fox
OLB Samson Ebukam

Cut
ILB Kenny Young

Restructure
DL Aaron Donald
CB Jalen Ramsey

Extension
QB Matt Stafford

Resignings
LS Jake McQuaide
CB Darious Williams (Second Round Tender)
ILB Travin Howard
OL Coleman Shelton
TE Johnny Mundt

Trades
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #25 and Round 3 Pick #37
Jets trade Round 3 Pick #2, Round 3 Pick #22, and Round 5 Pick #10

The Jets trade up for a player they want.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #2
Cowboys trade Round 3 Pick #11 and Round 4 Pick #34

The Cowboys trade up for a player they want.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #22 and Round 4 Pick #37
Vikings trade Round 3 Pick #14

We trade up with trade up with the Vikings for a player we want.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #39
Vikings trade Round 4 Pick #14 and Round 4 Pick #37

Vikings trade up with us and return our pick.

Rams trade Round 6 Pick #24
Dolphins trade Round 7 Pick #4 and Round 7 Pick #30

Dolphins trade up late in the Draft.

Free Agency
DeSean Jackson WR

DeSean signs for about the NFL minimum and will operate as a #4 WR.

Melvin Ingram OLB

Coming off a lost year due to injury at 32 years old, Ingram decides to remain in LA and chase a ring. He signs on a relatively cheap one year deal.

Alex Mack OL

Mack decides to return to where he grew up to chase a ring.

NFL Draft
Round 3 Pick #11 - Quincy Roche OLB Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEX6L_CCYA

Analysis: At 6'2" 243, Roche only fits well in the 3-4, but he has massive amounts of upside as a 3-4 edge rusher. Possessing good strength for his size along with the explosiveness, speed, agility, and flexibility, Roche is very disruptive. He's more of a splashy run defender than a consistent one at this stage. He needs to play with more consistent leverage if he's going to hold up on running downs, but his physical talent, diverse set of pass rush moves, and advanced pass rush plans make him a very dangerous rusher off the edge.

Round 3 Pick #14 - Pete Werner ILB Ohio State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CKnH6xZe98

Analysis: Werner is my favorite of the Day 2 ILBs. He's a true three-down player who has the athleticism to run sideline to sideline, the size and strength to defeat blocks and fill holes in the running game, and the experience and football IQ to be consistent and reliable player. He's not a splashy guy, but he's a player you can count on to be exactly where he's supposed to be snap after snap. In coverage, he's quite adept in zone and can man up against TEs, but twitchy HBs and slot WRs will give him problems. He should fit well in our scheme.

Round 4 Pick #14 - Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8KEmrW6Nc

Analysis: In terms of physical ability, Tamorrion Terry is a first round talent. At 6'4", he has suddenness, twitch, acceleration, contact balance, and explosive long speed. He's a kid who can take the top off a defense or catch a slant and house it. Issue is that Terry has a lot of inconsistencies in his game, the worst being poor hand technique leading to dropped passes. He also had injury issues in 2020 and didn't mesh well with the new coaching staff (eventually leaving the team midyear and opting out). But despite the inconsistencies and rawness, this is a kid who has the potential to be an impact player in the NFL.

Round 4 Pick #34 - Ar'Darius Washington DB Texas Christian

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYomPsNW3TU

Analysis: A solid number of teams will refuse to draft Washington because of his size (5'8" 180), but if he were 5'11" 195, he'd probably go in the second round. This is a kid who has the quickness and cover skills to be a slot CB along with the range, instincts, and ball skills to be a single-high FS. His versatility will be valuable to us. He has the tackling ability and physicality to be a traditional split safety for us, or he can slide down and potentially start in the slot. His lack of length makes it difficult for him to get off blocks, but it doesn't stop him from being a great tackler, especially in space.

Round 4 Pick #37 - Robert Hainsey OL Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlYcw6nwStA

Analysis: Hainsey's value to us will come from his ability to play all five positions on the OL. He started at RT for Notre Dame, but he showed well at the Senior Bowl at Guard and Center. I think Hainsey's greatest upside is at Center (but he'll need some development time there). He has the intelligence, technique, athleticism, mean streak, and upper body strength to be a very good starter at the position. At Guard, he's doesn't have the overwhelming power you'd ideally want, and at tackle, he doesn't have the range to consistently hold up against NFL speed. But he can play both positions well enough to cover for injuries.

Round 5 Pick #10 - Darius Stills DT West Virginia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm7x_cpD8mw

Analysis: I'd love to see Stills learn from Aaron Donald. At 6'1" 285, Stills has a similar build and a similar game. He's not the talent that Donald is/was (who is), but he has an explosive first step, powerful and violent hands, surprising strength, good agility, and natural leverage. He's a very disruptive pass rusher who often wins early. Where he needs to improve is his ability to counter when an OL wins early in the reps. As a run defender, he needs a lot of development. He picks disruption over discipline, which leads to mistakes. But on the bright side, he has a nonstop motor and makes some very impressive plays in pursuit.

Round 7 Pick #4 - Chris Evans HB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvjdflhiddk

Analysis: Evans hasn't done much over the past two years. He missed the 2019 season due to academic issues and barely played in 2020. However, Evans showed a lot of upside earlier in his career. At 5'10" 220, he has quick feet, solid speed, solid contact balance, and natural pass-catching skills. His instincts in the ground game are also decent, and he has flashed the ability to run great routes and pass block. His game needs a lot of development, but he has the tools to be a three-down HB and a real threat in the passing game.

Round 7 Pick #25 - Avery Williams CB/RS Boise State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEsagcLrjtc

Analysis: We pick Williams mainly for special teams purposes. Do/n't get me wrong, Williams has the talent and skills at CB to compete for a backup job. He even has the potential to develop into a starting nickel CB. He tackles well, has quick feet, and natural cover skills, but his size (5'9" 190) and lack of great speed make him unlikely to play outside. Where he really shines is as a return man on special teams. Williams has 6 career PR TDs and 3 career KR TDs in college. He has also blocked multiple punts. As we saw in 2020, we can use all the help we can get on special teams.

Round 7 Pick #30 - Matt Bushman TE Brigham Young

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Jv4hTWJM4

Analysis: Bushman made a mistake going back to BYU. If he had come out last year, he is probably a fourth or fifth round pick. But he returned to school and tore his Achilles before the season started. Bushman is older (25 years old) because he did a mission, but he's an impressive talent. At 6'5" 250, Bushman has the separation quickness to beat LBs in man coverage, the speed to threaten the seam, and the hands and physicality to make catches with DBs draped on him. As a blocker, he's more of a positional blocker who lacks the mean streak you'd ideally want, but he has the size, frame, and strength to be solid at it with improved technique.

Projected Starters
QB: Matt Stafford
HB: Cam Akers
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Van Jefferson
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: David Edwards
C: Alex Mack
RG: Austin Corbett
RT: Rob Havenstein

DE: Michael Brockers
NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day
DE: Aaron Donald
OLB: Terrell Lewis
ILB: Pete Werner
ILB: Micah Kiser
OLB: Melvin Ingram
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Darious Williams
CB: David Long Jr.
FS: Jordan Fuller
SS: Terrell Burgess

K: Matt Gay
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Avery Williams
PR: Avery Williams

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I like this and would still draft a center somewhere in there and resign Blythe for about the league min

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like this and would still draft a center somewhere in there and resign Blythe for about the league min

Hainsey is the Center. Blythe will get paid more than that by somebody else. He's better than some guys starting at Center in the NFL.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Hainsey is the Center. Blythe will get paid more than that by somebody else. He's better than some guys starting at Center in the NFL.
Thanks for the clarification, read right past there. His versatility already puts him in the good graces of McVay

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
You think they still spend money on McQuaide or will the two futures guys get the nod? Love the work as always and think Ingram is a very real possibility coming off 2 straight injury years he's gonna chase a 1 year "prove it" type deal while chasing a ring.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
You had me at Werner and Terry :love: both are going to be studs, and Terry can split time with Djax in the first year as the deep threat while he learns and grows. Getting those two alone will make both our offense and defense so much better. Getting Mack while Hainsey learns to be future starter works for me if he pans out. Getting Ingram and Roche would be great, can never have to many edge guys. The rest are good depth/possible future starters. I'd be more than fine with this draft. Great job man :cheers2:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think they still spend money on McQuaide or will the two futures guys get the nod? Love the work as always and think Ingram is a very real possibility coming off 2 straight injury years he's gonna chase a 1 year "prove it" type deal while chasing a ring.

No idea on McQuaide. He's reliable and very good at what he does. If he can be had near the veteran minimum, I'd probably keep him. But it's not like I can evaluate the backup long snappers.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very realistic, both the trades and FA signings.

I like it

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No idea on McQuaide. He's reliable and very good at what he does. If he can be had near the veteran minimum, I'd probably keep him. But it's not like I can evaluate the backup long snappers.
Not so much a question about how good those guys are but more a question if he will be a cap casualty like GZ was but yeah hard to evaluate those guys.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But it's not like I can evaluate the backup long snappers.

I can because I did it (Dayton)....I truly hope the keep McQuaide due to not having any issues with long snaps since he's been there, but I have a feeling another team will pay him well and the Rams will have to look elsewhere and the two gentlemen they brought in, concern me.

Colin Holba (Louisville)….Was drafted by the Steelers to actually win the long snapper role, but was beat out because he was very inconsistent. Bounced around the league and has never won a permanent job, so I don't believe things will change.

Steven Wirtel (Iowa State)....I like Wirtel's ability as a consistent long snapper much better, however, the knock on Wirtel is size, he's only 227lbs. That concerns me with team stacking the middle In fairness McQuaide is only 236lbs and under Strength & Conditioning Coach Justin Lovett the ability to add 10-15 pounds should be easy, however, Wirtel has not been able to do that in college either.

Holba is 255lbs and comes in where he's filled in from time to time, but never stuck and he's 255lbs, which is obviously bigger, but Wirtel did an excellent job at Iowa State and IMO, if it's going to be one of these two, it will be Wirtel replacing McQuaide

BTW, love the draft in every way, Ingram would be a nice addition and I would hope that Washington could unseat Long, as Long always seems to be chasing the play, Really like Robert Hainsey & WR Terry, plus Pete Werner will start at ILB and look like he's a five year vet.

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
some will love this draft because it sure takes care of the df needs. i really like the ingram pick up as i hope our training staff can bring him back to good health. i am sure that some will love this draft but for me not enough o line help and no true fb. anyway you sure do a lot of work so just keep them coming

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is a very no nonsense draft.
It looks very Pittsburgh Steelers-ish.

Which isn't a bad thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
some will love this draft because it sure takes care of the df needs. i really like the ingram pick up as i hope our training staff can bring him back to good health. i am sure that some will love this draft but for me not enough o line help and no true fb. anyway you sure do a lot of work so just keep them coming

I don't see McVay drafting a FB. At best, he could draft a TE that might play there every now and then. But he has never really used FBs in his scheme. As for the OL, with Noteboom on the roster, we don't have the room to draft a bunch of guys. We usually keep 9 or 10 OLs. Here are our 10 in my scenario:
1. Whit
2. Edwards
3. Mack
4. Corbett
5. Hav
6. Boom
7. Evans
8. Anchrum
9. Hainsey
10. Brewer or Shelton or Allen

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I don't see McVay drafting a FB. At best, he could draft a TE that might play there every now and then. But he has never really used FBs in his scheme. As for the OL, with Noteboom on the roster, we don't have the room to draft a bunch of guys. We usually keep 9 or 10 OLs. Here are our 10 in my scenario:
1. Whit
yeah i see your point and i am sure that they won't do what i want but i can still dream.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Another outstanding mock, jrry32. I love the way your mind works, man.

To me, the linchpin of this mock is whether Roche can be a player at edge THIS year because my faith in Lewis‘ ability to stay healthy is not very high at all. But Roche is probably as good a player there at edge as we could hope for, anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another outstanding mock, jrry32. I love the way your mind works, man.

To me, the linchpin of this mock is whether Roche can be a player at edge THIS year because my faith in Lewis‘ ability to stay healthy is not very high at all. But Roche is probably as good a player there at edge as we could hope for, anyway.

Roche can bring it as a pass rusher this year. I imagine Hollins would start if Lewis gets injured. But Roche can play on passing downs. I have doubts that we would want to count on him as a three-down player at this stage. He needs to become a more consistent run defender.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I guess you cant take Tremble in every mock... :)
Great stuff as always!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Solid draft, per the usual. Love the Terry, Washington, Werner, and Stills picks, in particular.

I'm concerned about supposed maturity issues with Roche, but it's impossible to deny his sheer talent.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Ingram is priced out of range or we just don’t get him what do you think of DaWuane Smoot as an option? I know very little about him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Ingram is priced out of range or we just don’t get him what do you think of DaWuane Smoot as an option? I know very little about him.

I think Tyus Bowser would be my top lower-cost option. Kyler Fackrell would be next up.