Jrry32 Senior Bowl Week Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After McVay's hire of our new defensive coordinator, I think it sheds some light on the direction in which our defense is heading in 2020. As always, I create my mocks based on my understand of the philosophies of our coaching staff and personnel office. However, I am not trying to guess what the Rams will do. Rather, I am offering a scenario that I think would be a good one if I were in their shoes. I tried to change up the players a bit to expose y'all to more names. I still love guys like Josh Uche, David Woodward, Tyler Biadasz, Quintez Cephus, etc.

Cut
S Eric Weddle
HB Malcolm Brown

I wish I could cut Weddle more than once. I'm so fed up with his performance. With Brown, we expect Henderson to take a leap in Year 2, so we can let Brown walk.

Re-sign
K Greg Zuerlein
OT Andrew Whitworth
OLB Dante Fowler Jr. (Franchise Tag)
DL Morgan Fox
All Practice Squad Players
All ERFAs

Yes, we're letting Littleton walk. I don't take pleasure in that, but we have to make hard decisions. Littleton's price tag is too high for me. He's a good but not elite ILB. We bring back Brockers on a relatively cheap, short-term deal. He's still a solid starting DL. Whitworth has announced that he wants to return. It makes logical sense to bring him back. It'll give Noteboom additional time to recover from his injury. We franchise Fowler with the plan to extend him. (I've gone back and forth on this one. Originally, I had us franchising Fowler and trading him to the Dolphins for a late second and a future fifth, but I think he's worth keeping around. He has really impressed me over the second half of the year.)

Trades
Rams trade OLB Dante Fowler Jr.
Dolphins trade Round 2 Pick #24 and a 2021 Round 4 Pick

The Dolphins have a ton of picks this year and could use pass rush help. They also have the cap room to extend Fowler. He's still young at 25 years old and just put together a strong season. He's also a Florida native who fits well into Flores' scheme.

Rams trade WR Josh Reynolds
Bills trade 2021 Round 5 Pick

In this mock, we keep Robert Woods, but we still have a lot of mouths to feed in the passing game. Reynolds is entering the final year of his deal, so we flip him to Buffalo for a future 5th (to compensate for the 5th we traded to Cleveland).

Rams trade CB Nickell Robey-Coleman and Round 7 Pick #20
Bengals trade Round 6 Pick #1

The Bengals' slot CB, Darqueze Dennard, is a FA. NRC is still a quality slot CB who fits Cincy's scheme. With Ramsey, Hill, Long, and Darious Williams, we have enough depth and talent at CB to trade NRC and save a few bucks on his salary.

Rams trade: Round 2 Pick #24 and Round 4 Pick #20
Redskins trade: Round 3 Pick #2, Round 4 Pick #2, and Round 5 Pick #2

We trade down with the Redskins.

Free Agency
AP_19231081765603.jpg

Stephen Weatherly OLB

Weatherly has been stuck behind Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter in Minnesota, but I think he's an underrated player. At 6'5" 265, he seems big for a 3-4 OLB at first glance, but he's an athletic big man who played 3-4 OLB in college. Personally, I think he's an underrated player who could break out if given a larger role. He's a really good run defender on the edge who has the athleticism to drop into coverage when needed. His pass rush potential isn't entirely clear at this stage, but he has shown flashes when given PT in Minnesota. I think he has the potential to be a real bargain for us.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #20 - Zack Baun ILB Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sKroRZcZ4

Analysis: Two-year starter who posted 75 tackles, 19.5 TFLs, and 12.5 sacks as a senior playing as a 3-4 OLB. Due to Wisconsin's scheme, he has a lot of coverage snaps over the past two years. His athleticism, cover skills, instincts, and size (6'3" 240) all indicate to me that Baun would be a phenomenal 3-4 ILB in our scheme. He has a lot of similarities to former Badger Joe Schobert, who made the transition from 3-4 OLB to MLB in the NFL.

Round 3 Pick #2 - Matt Hennessy C Temple

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORw-BpgoOjk

Analysis: In my opinion, he's the second best Center in the Draft behind Biadasz. Although, I've seen some have Cushenberry or Ruiz as the top two centers. Hennessy needs to continue bulking up, but he's already a polished technician with outstanding athleticism. I was quite impressed with how coordinated Temple's protection was as well. He's the only Center in this class on Biadasz's level as a technician, but Hennessy is the better athlete, while Biadasz is bigger and stronger.

Round 3 Pick #20 - Jonathan Greenard OLB Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hStFgQYXI

Analysis: I think Greenard is a guy who will see his draft stock take a bit of a hit at the Combine. I don't think he's a standout athlete, but he's a very savvy player with a great motor and a polished pass rush game. A number of pass rushers in this class could learn a lot from watching Greenard's footwork. He really understands how to vary his path and use feints and stutters to get tackles out of position. At 6'4" 260, he's capable of setting a hard edge too. Durability is a concern, though.

Round 4 Pick #2 - Leki Fotu DL Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmMC7wdX7VY

Analysis: What can you say about the 6'5" 330 pound freakishly gifted Samoan? Fotu is sushi raw, but you can't teach his size, strength, and explosiveness. He's going to need a good bit of a polishing, but he should be able to play immediately on running downs as a 5-Tech. Like Akiem Hicks, if this kid develops and puts it together, he'll be an absolute force as both a run defender and pass rusher.

Round 4 Pick #34 - Van Jefferson WR Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zISypVVXVU4

Analysis: The son of former NFL WR turned NFL WR Coach Shawn Jefferson, Van is a very polished player. His varied route tempos, arsenal of releases, quick-twitch athleticism, crisp routes, and heady play make him a very difficult guy for CBs to cover. Van also possesses natural, reliable hands. He's not a stellar athlete, but due to his quickness and coordination, he doesn't need blazing speed. However, his thin frame and lack of play strength hinder him against physical CBs and in jump ball situations. I think he's comparable to Brian Hartline.

Round 5 Pick #2 - Anthony McFarland HB Maryland

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxB6yvpFBmo

Analysis: It's hard to say where McFarland will go in the Draft, but if he falls this far, you sprint to the podium. McFarland is just a phenomenal athlete. He's twitchy, fast, and explosive. He's surprisingly strong for a smaller HB and possesses impressive contact balance. He also flashes a lot of potential in the passing game. Ultimately, he looks like a kid who could develop into a hell of a change of pace HB.

Round 6 Pick #1 - Josiah Coatney DL Ole Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgxYXZY7lgI

Analysis: I must say that Coatney flew under my radar, but I was quite impressed watching his film. He has a lot of intriguing tools and could play all over our front (from 0-Tech to 5-Tech). Coatney is quite strong and heavy-handed. He shows a more diverse set of pass rush moves than you expect, and his push-pull move can be quite devastating due to how jarring his punch is. He needs to play with more consistent leverage and work not to get washed out in the flow on zone-stretch plays, but the kid has a lot of potential and versatility.

Round 6 Pick #20 - Stephen Sullivan TE Louisiana State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzCzOMsFQc

Analysis: Sullivan is an intriguing project to me. He bounced back and forth between WR and TE for LSU. At 6'6" 250, he has a lot of developing to do, but he has tools. He doesn't have the quickness to play WR and needs to play more physically as a route runner if he's going to stick at TE. But he's a willing blocker with long arms, big mitts, and consistent hands. He also has better wheels than your average TE. He just needs a lot of polish as a blocker and router runner.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Competition
C: Matt Hennessy
RG: David Edwards
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Sebastian Joseph-Day
NT: Greg Gaines
UT: Aaron Donald
OLB: Clay Matthews
ILB: Competition
ILB: Zack Baun
OLB: Stephen Weatherly
LCB: Jalen Ramsey
RCB: Troy Hill
SLCB: David Long Jr.
FS: John Johnson III
SS: Taylor Rapp

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good stuff.
In this scenario, wouldn’t it be worth putting a transition tag on Littleton in the event that his market isn’t what is feared and he signs a deal the Rams could afford?

TheTackle

Starter
I am intrigued by OT Josh Jones. Perhaps we would have to trade up though. I was a fan once, but Notebooms play and injury now leave me concerned. At such an important position, can we gamble?

I really like Baum and think he would be good value in the 2nd though I might consider trading down from our spot. That said, we have an elite MLB who should have been in the pro bowl way ahead of those who went. Isn’t that the FA type we should resign?

You have a great eye for talent, but Jefferson doesn’t last until the 4th IMO

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Definitely improves the defense. I recognize a lot of names as players showing well in the senior bowl.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
great draft for the df and maybe that's the way to go. get the df fixed this year o f next year. would be interesting to see what 1 of your drafts that was to fix the o f would look like. nice work keep em coming

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As always Counselor I applaud your efforts and I just posted about Anthony McFarland as I remember him leaving many Buckeyes in his dust a few years ago. Matt Hennessy is an outstanding pick, smart player (Temple) and one of those guys that pundits will give a ton of credit to Les Snead about.

A few too many Florida players for my liking ;)...But i like Jefferson and will trust you on Greenard, my only issue with this draft is this class is Offensive Tackle Rich and I'd like to come away with at the least one Offensive Tackle.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I really appreciate your take and effort, Jrry. Thanks!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So are we or are we not trading Fowler in your scenario?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
YES, YOU FINALLY DRAFTED FOTU! I think he'll go somewhere in the third, though. Fourth is stretching it a bit, even though it's early.

Your Florida draftees seem solid. I like Hennessy, but he has the problem of being light (last time I checked, he was under 300 lbs). Baum is another intriguing prospect.

And I like your addition from the Vikings.

Overall, it's a great draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff.
In this scenario, wouldn’t it be worth putting a transition tag on Littleton in the event that his market isn’t what is feared and he signs a deal the Rams could afford?

It would be difficult to tag both Fowler and Littleton and re-sign Whitworth. It's possible, but it would be hard to do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So are we or are we not trading Fowler in your scenario?

We're trading him and not re-signing Brockers. I thought I cut that when I copied and pasted. Obviously didn't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am intrigued by OT Josh Jones. Perhaps we would have to trade up though. I was a fan once, but Notebooms play and injury now leave me concerned. At such an important position, can we gamble?

I really like Baum and think he would be good value in the 2nd though I might consider trading down from our spot. That said, we have an elite MLB who should have been in the pro bowl way ahead of those who went. Isn’t that the FA type we should resign?

You have a great eye for talent, but Jefferson doesn’t last until the 4th IMO

Jones seems like he's a Round 1 guy. Baun might actually go higher than where I picked him too. We'll see how he does at the Combine. On Littleton, based on last year's market, he's likely looking at $14 million to $17 million per year. That's too much money for me. I don't consider him elite.

As for Van Jefferson, this WR class is stacked. If he's not available there, somebody else great will be. But I don't see him going on Days 1 or 2.

YES, YOU FINALLY DRAFTED FOTU! I think he'll go somewhere in the third, though. Fourth is stretching it a bit, even though it's early.

Your Florida draftees seem solid. I like Hennessy, but he has the problem of being light (last time I checked, he was under 300 lbs). Baum is another intriguing prospect.

And I like your addition from the Vikings.

Overall, it's a great draft.

I thought he was playing closer to 290 during the season, but he weighed in at 302 at the Senior Bowl, which was obviously good news.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
First, confused on what you're doing with Fowler. You state you want to Tag & resign, but then you list him in the trades. But, then don't show the trade in the actual draft picks and don't list him as one of the defensive starters?
Second, I am impressed with the FA acquisition of Stephen Weatherly, You stole my thunder:p 3 sacks and 9 QB hits in a reserve role is great production.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, confused on what you're doing with Fowler. You state you want to Tag & resign, but then you list him in the trades. But, then don't show the trade in the actual draft picks and don't list him as one of the defensive starters?
Second, I am impressed with the FA acquisition of Stephen Weatherly, You stole my thunder:p 3 sacks and 9 QB hits in a reserve role is great production.

The trade is on there. We traded down from the pick we acquired to the top of the third round. I can't edit it, but that part about not trading him is from my last mock. I copied and pasted it to avoid having to do all the formatting again. But that wasn't supposed to be in there. He was traded.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Linemen and linebackers with Jefferson in round 4 is good by me. Baun is interesting with the likely position switch, and flexibility is good, but yeah I'm confident he'll be on the board when we're up. (y)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Love that, for once, we finally spend a premium pick at ILB. Kid has a great highlight vid, no gimmie plays.
We also walk away with a decent C prospect. And the WR picks are valuable -- I'm not 100% satisfied with our WR corps. If we could merge Cooks & Kupp that'd be what I want, lol. Queue coach Frankenstien...
I like keeping Fowler as well.