Jrry32 Second Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Raheem Morris joining as DC, we have some idea of what our defense might look like. Although, I can't say with total certainty that I know. I'm projecting base personnel that are similar to Pete Carroll's scheme (and also similar to Staley's). Basically, it's a hybrid between the 4-3 and 3-4 (it's a multiple scheme). Without knowing what the cap is, I'm just speculating on what we can do. I'm guessing a cap of around $190 million. With some restructures, we should have the money to do what's necessary. The one small positive of the cap not increasing this year might be that mid-tier FAs are much more affordable and more interested in one year deals. The top guys will still get paid. It's the mid-tier guys who will be looking at a lesser market. Finally, I'll note that if he's in shape, Larry Warford is still at the top of my wish list, but I already included him in my last mock, so I'm going to offer a different scenario.
Departing Free Agents
OLB Leonard Floyd
SS John Johnson III
CB Troy Hill
OL Austin Blythe
HB Malcolm Brown
TE Gerald Everett
WR Josh Reynolds
DL Morgan Fox
OLB Samson Ebukam

Resignings
LS Jake McQuaide
CB Darious Williams
ILB Travin Howard
OL Coleman Shelton
TE Johnny Mundt

Trades
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #25 and Round 3 Pick #24
Patriots trade Round 2 Pick #14 and Round 4 Pick #39

We trade up for an offensive lineman.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #39
Vikings trade Round 4 Pick #14 and Round 4 Pick #38

We trade back with one of our two third round comp picks.

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #38
Ravens trade Round 5 Pick #28 and Round 6 Pick #27

Ravens trade up into the fourth round.

Free Agency
usatsi_14463168-e1594616886880.jpg

Tarell Basham EDGE

The Colts drafted Basham in the third round in 2017, but he only lasted two years there before they cut him. The Jets claimed him off waivers, and he has shown flashes of good play with them. We add him as a relatively cheap rotational player on the edge. He'll play behind Terrell Lewis and compete with Ogbonnia Okoronkwo for that backup spot. If Lewis gets hurt (which, unfortunately, seems likely), Basham and Okoronkwo can step in for him. I considered re-signing Samson Ebukam, but I think Basham has more upside.

GettyImages-1287081277-775x465.jpg

Alex Smith QB

I want to make the point that this only makes sense if Alex is willing to accept a very cheap deal. Essentially, Alex comes here to mentor Goff, learn McVay's system, and start the transition to a coaching career. We gain from having an experienced backup who can be trusted in a pinch and can mentor Goff.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #14 - Alex Leatherwood OT/OG Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQQgJZtsPE

Analysis: At 6'5" 315 pounds, Leatherwood can play any position on the OL outside of Center. He offers legitimate tackle/guard versatility. He has the potential to be Whitworth's replacement and the potential to be a rookie who could start at OG and provide quality play. Leatherwood is a good but not great athlete at OT who is extremely technically proficient and possesses very good power. He has the ability to generate movement in the running game and the athleticism to make blocks on the second level and in space. In pass protection, he's difficult to beat because of his consistent technique, well-timed punches, and good anchor. To the extent he can improve there, he sometimes leans into his punches, which leaves him open to being pulled off balance or swam over. As a run blocker, he's a good positional blocker with the power to generate some movement. I wish he had more of a mean streak, though. Ultimately, Leatherwood is a polished OL prospect who lacks dominant traits but is a good all-around player.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Tony Fields II LB West Virginia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0tmRtxMJk

Analysis: Let me preface this by saying that Ohio State LB Pete Werner is the guy I want most in the third round, but I think he's likely gone at this point. Fields is an undersized LB at 6'1" 220 pounds, but he possesses outstanding athleticism, four years worth of starting experience, and impressive physicality for his size. Due to his smaller stature and lack of length, he'll have trouble defeating NFL blocks, but he doesn't lack the willingness or physicality to try and play through blocks. He also has the quick-twitch athleticism to work around blocks. His instincts are quite good. Although, his lack of height occasionally causes him to take longer to find the football. He has the potential to be a starting Will LB who racks up a lot of tackles and covers well. He's a true sideline-to-sideline player. The one big area where I think he can improve is in taking better angles. He occasionally runs himself out of plays by being too aggressive.

Round 4 Pick #14 - Malcolm Koonce EDGE/SLB Buffalo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_33HfMjsrM

Analysis: At 6'3" 250, Koonce will likely spend his rookie year as a rotational pass rusher and working on getting stronger to better defend the run. Koonce has the speed and flexibility to threaten the corner off the edge. He has a fairly diverse set of pass rush moves for a college player and a lot of savvy. He has long arms and active hands that he uses well to shed blocks and soften the edge. He also has the quick-twitch athleticism and footwork to win with inside moves and to get the OT out of position using stutter and jab steps. As a run defender, he has shown the ability to shed TE blocks and to set the edge against TEs, but he'll need to get bigger and stronger if he's going to set the edge against NFL OTs. Adding more power to his game also could unlock speed-to-power rushes, which would add another pass rush move to his toolbox.

Round 4 Pick #37 - Tre Nixon WR Central Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_S0u-2B9Do

Analysis: We need some speed at WR, and that's exactly what Tre Nixon brings to the table. At 6'1" 180 pounds, he has a thin frame, but he's tough to jam at the LOS due to his quickness of the LOS and varied releases. He's a skilled player who shows the agility, twitch, and loose hips to run routes at a high level. His route tree at UCF has been fairly limited, but the routes he does run look good. He is also a fairly surehanded kid who tracks the ball well over the shoulder. But the big selling point with him is that he can flat out run by CBs. He's a major deep threat. His biggest weakness is that physical CBs can knock him off his game due to his lack of strength and thin frame.

Round 5 Pick #28 - Grant Stuard LB Houston

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJH_5gpjNac

Analysis: Stuard only recently moved to LB for Houston. In 2019, he played as a box safety of sorts. In 2020, he moved to LB because it was how he could best help the defense. I like him a lot as a developmental LB and a core special teamer. Stuard is a fast, twitchy athlete who tackles well, brings endless energy to the field, and clearly loves football. He was the guy who got the defense lined up at Houston this year. His weaknesses (misreading his keys, taking false steps, and struggling to get off blocks) are at least partially due to his inexperience at LB. At 6'1" 225 pounds, he's a guy who has the upside to potentially develop into a starting LB and immediately brings speed, tackling, and energy to our special teams units.

Round 6 Pick #25 - Matt Bushman TE Brigham Young

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TlaNZohBE

Analysis: Bushman is an intriguing TE prospect. He was considered one of the top prospects in the Draft coming into the year but suffered an Achilles injury before the season started. He's a little older (25 years old) due to him having done a mission. He has the size (6'5" 250 pounds) to play inline, but he needs to get stronger and show more physicality as a blocker. In college, he seemed content to get his hands on the defender and execute the block, rather than try to bury his man. His real value comes from his receiving skills. He's a very good athlete who has the speed to stretch the seam and the separation quickness to work underneath. But his best traits are his strong mitts and body control. He also understands how to create separation using his body and pushing off (legally).

Round 6 Pick #27 - Shawn Davis DB Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBHKAn8bgSI

Analysis: Davis is a gifted athlete at safety who can play split, single-high, or come into the box and cover the slot. He's a tad undersized at 5'11" 190, which has led to some durability issues due to his physical play. He also needs to learn to tackle better, as he tends to go for the big hit over the wrap-up tackle. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for Davis, he was misused by Florida's incompetent defensive coordinator. Had he played in a better scheme and received better coaching, he might have gone in the third or fourth round. This is a kid who will bring energy, athleticism, and hitting power to special teams. But he also has the potential to be a starting safety in the NFL.

Round 7 Pick #25 - Blake Proehl WR/PR East Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7XjArGfiFc

Analysis: The name should sound familiar to all of us Rams fans. He's one of Ricky Proehl's sons. Ricky, a former NFL WR Coach (a highly respected one at that), has clearly done a lot to coach Blake. At 6'1" 186 pounds, Blake has a thin frame, but he also possesses great quickness/twitch, solid speed, and outstanding hands. ECU, for some odd reason, decided to play him outside this year. I think Blake can be a lethal slot WR in the NFL. His quickness, hands, and intelligence should play quite well inside. Additionally, he's a guy who offers a lot of special teams value and should be a reliable punt returner for us. I think we'll quite enjoy developing him and Nixon behind Kupp, Woods, and Jefferson.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Cam Akers
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Van Jefferson
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Alex Leatherwood vs. Joe Noteboom vs. Bobby Evans vs. Tremayne Anchrum
C: Austin Corbett
RG: David Edwards
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day
UT: Aaron Donald
LEO: Terrell Lewis
WLB: Travin Howard vs. Kenny Young vs. Tony Fields II
MLB: Micah Kiser v. Troy Reeder
SLB: Justin Hollins
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Darious Williams
CB: David Long Jr. vs. Terrell Burgess
FS: Jordan Fuller
SS: Terrell Burgess vs. Taylor Rapp

K: Matt Gay
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Raymond Calais
PR: Blake Proehl

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Much better Jerry. Interesting look at drafting based on need. My only concern is leaving Corbett at Center unless they want Jared calling out the defense behind center and lack of developmental depth. I'd rather us trade up in the second for a center if we really like one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I like it! Added the future at LT who can step in next to him at LG. Added a lot to the LB corp. A speedy WR and a returner. Not sure Smith comes over but that's a minor thing, if you're willing to sign him on that kind of a deal we can likely get another vet like him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Much better Jerry. Interesting look at drafting based on need. My only concern is leaving Corbett at Center unless they want Jared calling out the defense behind center and lack of developmental depth. I'd rather us trade up in the second for a center if we really like one.

Here's why I am hesitant to draft a Center in the 2nd or early 3rd (because there are some options). I don't think McVay will start a rookie Center. That's why sliding Corbett to Center makes sense to me. He has practiced at the position. He knows the scheme well. And he's reportedly a smart player. Plus, I think he has the skillset to be a really good Center. I imagine we'll also train either Tremayne Anchrum or Chandler Brewer at Center too (to ensure we have depth).

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I was watching tape of LB Browning (Ohio St) and Pete Werner popped as having better anticipation and more speed to the ball. I was impressed with his quickness at 240 lbs

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was watching tape of LB Browning (Ohio St) and Pete Werner popped as having better anticipation and more speed to the ball. I was impressed with his quickness at 240 lbs

Yeah, he's the best of that group imo. He looks like a pretty special player to me. Great run stopper who has the athleticism to cover. Has some tightness in his hips that will limit him against twitchy athletes, but in a zone scheme, that won't be as problematic. Big, physical, sneaky fast, and can really defend the run. Reminds me of Chad Greenway and Sean Lee.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love the idea of Alex Smith as our backup, and that's something I might (read; probably will) do in my next mock. He's easy to root for, and he's a hell of a quarterback.

Koonce is an interesting pick. Love the Leatherwood pick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I love the idea of Alex Smith as our backup, and that's something I might (read; probably will) do in my next mock. He's easy to root for, and he's a hell of a quarterback.

Koonce is an interesting pick. Love the Leatherwood pick.
I would like Smith as our back up as well.
I'm not sure have have the luxury at the moment to pay a higher price for a veteran back up, opposed to a rookie contract.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Always look forward to your mock offseasons. Great job as usual.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love the draft and the surname Leatherwood , how could you not, plus solves the Ram issue there for a long period of time. Grant Stuard will be an instant asset to Joe DeCamillis group plus Tre Nixon is the deep threat McVay has been seeking for his offense.

That being posted if the Rams even got close to Alex Smith I would jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge. Smith can't throw deep and IMO, is toast, so lets look for somebody with a future, not a past...Can you give me one mock with QB Jamie Newman...Just one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the draft and the surname Leatherwood , how could you not, plus solves the Ram issue there for a long period of time. Grant Stuard will be an instant asset to Joe DeCamillis group plus Tre Nixon is the deep threat McVay has been seeking for his offense.

That being posted if the Rams even got close to Alex Smith I would jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge. Smith can't throw deep and IMO, is toast, so lets look for somebody with a future, not a past...Can you give me one mock with QB Jamie Newman...Just one.

Well, my hope is that Smith would never play. He's here to help Goff. I recall an article talking about how Brian Hoyer was able to use his knowledge of the Shanahan offense to help New England prepare for us in the Super Bowl. That's the value of guys who have been around the NFL for years and years. Smith is not only an aid to the coaching staff but he can aid Goff during games too. It'll give us one more very smart guy on the sidelines to give Goff insights on what he's seeing between drives.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Jerry;

I appreciate your attention to the edge/LB positions. We desperately need a star on a rookie deal out there.

Taking another OT is a wise move. I still don’t see the need to move Havs before the draft or camp (risky), but I do see the uncertain future of that position as it stands right now.

A deep threat (speed) is a popular idea, so that works, but I think we can do better in replacing Hill/JJ3 than a day 3 guy who’s coming out banged up. He HAVE to if we are to try and maintain our stellar secondary.

Not drafting a Center while moving Corbett over?
Again with the “not gonna start a rookie at Center” mantra. He won’t be a rookie by year 2. That’s what we’d have had if we would have taken the need more seriously ANY other year. Just saying.

Like the TE pick. Not too early, not too late. Your guy is intriguing.

Overall, I like this mock. I think it’s also realistic to project guys as depth/ST players. We need them too, and you never know from where the next corey littleton will come.