Jrry32 Post-Free Agency Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams made another signing today (Tyrunn Walker). I'm a fan of the move. It addresses our depth issues on the DL. I don't know what our plans are for Center, so I won't assume that we do or don't sign one.
Trade
Rams trade Round 3 Pick #5
Redskins trade Round 3 Pick #17 and Round 4 Pick #17

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #5 - T.J. Watt OLB Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D6xzoyg2mY

Summary: Watt is probably my favorite prospect in this draft. He's a paradox of sorts because he's a raw player who is also polished. Watt has only played defense for two years and only started for one year. Yet, he already shows high-level recognition of blocking schemes, a strong understanding of how to exploit his opposition, and polished hand use. Watt possesses a powerful punch, outstanding flexibility throughout his body, and the speed to threaten the edge. He also has flashed the ability to overwhelm OLs with power. Watt needs to get stronger to take the next step as a pass rusher. With a consistent power game, he'd be capable of posting double digit sacks year in and year out. Additionally, Watt needs to continue to develop his pass rush moves/counters and work on finishing plays. He has to play more under control when finishing. He cost himself at 4 or 5 sacks this year (if not more) because he failed to finish the play. Ultimately, Watt provides a high-upside player to develop behind Barwin, a very talented rotational pass rusher, and insurance for Robert Quinn.

Round 3 Pick #17 - Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3mHua_jSQ

Summary: With Lewis getting arrested for domestic violence, it seems likely that he'll fall further than he should. After reading about the circumstances preceding his arrest and considering his track record, I think it's pretty flimsy. As a player, Lewis is a tenacious competitor who makes up for his lack of height (5'10" 188) and elite long speed (4.54 40) with sticky cover skills, fluid hips, and extremely quick feet. Lewis camps out in the hip pocket of the WR. He's constantly challenging passes at the catch point, he displays polished footwork, and he uses his hands well while pressing. Despite his short stature, he's a highly effective press CB because of his quick feet, long arms (relative to his size), feisty nature, patient approach, and sound technical skill. I think Lewis is an outstanding fit in our scheme because he possesses the versatility to play both in the slot and outside the numbers. He can be our Chris Harris Jr. I think Wade will highly value Lewis's skill-set, and he seems to be getting underrated as people get caught up on the measurables of CBs who don't cover like Lewis does.

Round 4 Pick #5 - Eddie Vanderdoes NT UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10CtPc_VaGw

Summary: Vanderdoes is an interesting player due to his backstory. He was a top ranked recruit out of HS who put a lot of good play on film between major injuries in college. Vanderdoes played heavier in 2016 than I would want him to play in the NFL (he was around 6'3" 325). He was pretty much immovable against the run, but it limited his ability to penetrate. Vanderdoes came into the Combine at 6'3" 305 and ran an impressive 4.99 40. Vanderdoes is country strong and uses it to stack blocks and disrupt the run game. As a pass rusher, he's pretty raw at this stage. He's been described as a bull in a china shop. He goes all out in terms of effort but plays a bit out of control. Still, Vanderdoes has a lot of potential if he stays healthy and should be at home attacking in Wade's scheme. As it is now, he has the ability to be a a quality run stopper with the potential to maybe develop into a solid to good pass rusher down the line.

Round 4 Pick #17 - Chase Roullier C/OG Wyoming

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udIir9JOgLg

Summary: I stumbled onto Roullier late, but I really like this kid. As I said before, I like his skill-set for our scheme more than I do Pocic's and Elflein's. He's exactly what Kromer wants. Despite coming from Wyoming (small school), Roullier is a well-coached player exiting a pro style offense (his HC, Craig Bohl, was Carson Wentz's HC). Roullier spent his first two years as a starter at LG before moving over to Center this year. At 6'4" 312, Roullier fits what Kromer looks for in his interior OLs. Roullier is a strong player at the POA with the lower body strength, leg drive, and nastiness to move guys out of the way. Roullier does an excellent job of staying on his blocks and playing through the whistle. He displays sound technical skill and quality body control while blocking on the move. As a pass protector, Roullier shows nimble feet, sound footwork, polished hand usage, and a strong base. Roullier's weaknesses are his lack of experience at Center, his short arms, and his balance in pass protection. Roullier needs to do a better job of adjusting to stunts and twists. He also needs to get used to playing in the Center spot, as he lost his footing due to the bodies around him too often this year. All in all, Roullier is a quality all around player who fits our scheme and has few true weaknesses.

Round 4 Pick #35 - George Kittle TE Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsmmz6t5TI

Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he needs a lot of development as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a threat.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5OVUO5phtY

Summary: Honestly, I don't know why Reynolds is rated as a 5th round pick. This is a deep WR class, but Reynolds should go two rounds earlier than this. However, I'm going to take advantage of teams not giving him the respect he deserves. Reynolds posted nearly 2800 yards and 30 TDs in 3 years in the SEC. Aside from his TDs, the stat that stands out with Reynolds is his career 17.0 yards per catch average. At 6'3" 195, Reynolds is very thin for a NFL WR. This is probably the biggest reason why he's underrated. He doesn't have a normal body type. He doesn't have much, if any, growth potential, so he'll always be thin. Play strength is definitely a concern at the next level. However, Reynolds displays the toughness, physicality, effort, and work habits to overcome his physical limitations. And frankly, Reynolds's thin frame gives him advantages other big WRs don't usually have. Reynolds is a gliding long-strider who preys upon CBs who don't respect his deep speed. Reynolds also displays incredible quick-twitch athleticism, foot quickness, and hip flexibility for a 6'3" WR. This makes him a highly effective route runner. To top it all off, Reynolds is as good as it gets at tracking the deep ball, has very reliable hands, and has shown the ability to make circus catches. All in all, Reynolds is a legitimate deep threat, red-zone threat, and dangerous route runner. He's also a high character kid who will do all the little things and give full effort at all times.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Vince Biegel ILB/OLB Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuOcKH_QHHM

Summary: I am not a huge fan of Biegel as an edge rusher in the NFL, and there are legitimate concerns about his injury history. However, I love the thought of Biegel at SILB. Biegel lacks the power, length, ability to bend the edge, and explosiveness to win consistently as an edge rusher. However, Biegel has tremendous instincts, good speed for his size (4.67 40), good agility for his size, and a non-stop motor. At 6'3" 246, Biegel's size and athletic traits make him a perfect fit for SILB in Wade's scheme. He can hold his own in coverage and will be able to stack and shed blocks in the run game. He also has the speed and agility to run sideline to sideline. Biegel is a smart, high energy player who has quality athletic traits, but his traits simply don't fit on the edge. In addition to Biegel's value as a SILB, Biegel also has the makings of a studly core special teamer. That only increases his value on Day 3 of the Draft. Biegel provides a lot of value for us as a depth OLB, a possible starter at ILB (if we move Barron to SS), and a core special teamer. If Biegel gets drafted before this (a real possibility), I'd take ILB Blair Brown from Ohio in this spot.

Round 6 Pick #22 - Joshua Holsey CB Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-MJCkkQ1Bs&t=49s

Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn. Plus, we do Holsey a favor by drafting Josh Reynolds; he was the only WR I saw get the better of Holsey this year.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Chad Williams WR Grambling State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjLsP1o7N8

Summary: Chad Williams is a flyer and the first major character risk in this draft (I don't see Lewis as a character risk). Williams had a strong showing at the NFLPA Game and earned an invite to the Senior Bowl. He also had a strong showing during Senior Bowl practices. He reportedly showed the burst to separate out of his breaks and caught the ball well. He's still a very raw route runner and needs a lot of development before he's ready to play, but he has a lot of upside. Williams posted 90 catches for 1337 yards and 11 TDs this year at Grambling. In 2015, he posted 64 catches for 1012 yards and 10 TDs. Williams's basketball background has given him impressive body control and the ability to come down with jump balls. Williams proved he has NFL athleticism when he ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day at 6'1" 205. Williams plays the game with a chip on his shoulder, isn't afraid to get physical, and runs hard after the catch. However, he was arrested before this season on a marijuana and firearm possession charge.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Robert Woods
ZWR: Josh Reynolds
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Chase Roullier
RG: Greg Robinson
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Eddie Vanderdoes
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Mark Barron
RILB: Alec Ogletree
ROLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Kayvon Webster vs. E.J. Gaines
SLCB: Jourdan Lewis
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Maurice Alexander

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Pharoh Cooper
PR: Tavon Austin

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love this and I think addressing defense is paramount.

But you have to be concerned about the WRs. Doubt Reynolds would start and be impactful as a rookie.

But I like everything else you did, so overall can't complain too much.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams made another signing today (Tyrunn Walker). I'm a fan of the move. It addresses our depth issues on the DL. I don't know what our plans are for Center, so I won't assume that we do or don't sign one.
Trade

NFL Draft

Summary: Watt is probably my favorite prospect in this draft. He's a paradox of sorts because he's a raw player who is also polished. Watt has only played defense for two years and only started for one year. Yet, he already shows high-level recognition of blocking schemes, a strong understanding of how to exploit his opposition, and polished hand use. Watt possesses a powerful punch, outstanding flexibility throughout his body, and the speed to threaten the edge. He also has flashed the ability to overwhelm OLs with power. Watt needs to get stronger to take the next step as a pass rusher. With a consistent power game, he'd be capable of posting double digit sacks year in and year out. Additionally, Watt needs to continue to develop his pass rush moves/counters and work on finishing plays. He has to play more under control when finishing. He cost himself at 4 or 5 sacks this year (if not more) because he failed to finish the play. Ultimately, Watt provides a high-upside player to develop behind Barwin, a very talented rotational pass rusher, and insurance for Robert Quinn.

Summary: With Lewis getting arrested for domestic violence, it seems likely that he'll fall further than he should. After reading about the circumstances preceding his arrest and considering his track record, I think it's pretty flimsy. As a player, Lewis is a tenacious competitor who makes up for his lack of height (5'10" 188) and elite long speed (4.54 40) with sticky cover skills, fluid hips, and extremely quick feet. Lewis camps out in the hip pocket of the WR. He's constantly challenging passes at the catch point, he displays polished footwork, and he uses his hands well while pressing. Despite his short stature, he's a highly effective press CB because of his quick feet, long arms (relative to his size), feisty nature, patient approach, and sound technical skill. I think Lewis is an outstanding fit in our scheme because he possesses the versatility to play both in the slot and outside the numbers. He can be our Chris Harris Jr. I think Wade will highly value Lewis's skill-set, and he seems to be getting underrated as people get caught up on the measurables of CBs who don't cover like Lewis does.

Summary: Vanderdoes is an interesting player due to his backstory. He was a top ranked recruit out of HS who put a lot of good play on film between major injuries in college. Vanderdoes played heavier in 2016 than I would want him to play in the NFL (he was around 6'3" 325). He was pretty much immovable against the run, but it limited his ability to penetrate. Vanderdoes came into the Combine at 6'3" 305 and ran an impressive 4.99 40. Vanderdoes is country strong and uses it to stack blocks and disrupt the run game. As a pass rusher, he's pretty raw at this stage. He's been described as a bull in a china shop. He goes all out in terms of effort but plays a bit out of control. Still, Vanderdoes has a lot of potential if he stays healthy and should be at home attacking in Wade's scheme. As it is now, he has the ability to be a a quality run stopper with the potential to maybe develop into a solid to good pass rusher down the line.

Summary: I stumbled onto Roullier late, but I really like this kid. As I said before, I like his skill-set for our scheme more than I do Pocic's and Elflein's. He's exactly what Kromer wants. Despite coming from Wyoming (small school), Roullier is a well-coached player exiting a pro style offense (his HC, Craig Bohl, was Carson Wentz's HC). Roullier spent his first two years as a starter at LG before moving over to Center this year. At 6'4" 312, Roullier fits what Kromer looks for in his interior OLs. Roullier is a strong player at the POA with the lower body strength, leg drive, and nastiness to move guys out of the way. Roullier does an excellent job of staying on his blocks and playing through the whistle. He displays sound technical skill and quality body control while blocking on the move. As a pass protector, Roullier shows nimble feet, sound footwork, polished hand usage, and a strong base. Roullier's weaknesses are his lack of experience at Center, his short arms, and his balance in pass protection. Roullier needs to do a better job of adjusting to stunts and twists. He also needs to get used to playing in the Center spot, as he lost his footing due to the bodies around him too often this year. All in all, Roullier is a quality all around player who fits our scheme and has few true weaknesses.

Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he needs a lot of development as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a threat.

Summary: Honestly, I don't know why Reynolds is rated as a 5th round pick. This is a deep WR class, but Reynolds should go two rounds earlier than this. However, I'm going to take advantage of teams not giving him the respect he deserves. Reynolds posted nearly 2800 yards and 30 TDs in 3 years in the SEC. Aside from his TDs, the stat that stands out with Reynolds is his career 17.0 yards per catch average. At 6'3" 195, Reynolds is very thin for a NFL WR. This is probably the biggest reason why he's underrated. He doesn't have a normal body type. He doesn't have much, if any, growth potential, so he'll always be thin. Play strength is definitely a concern at the next level. However, Reynolds displays the toughness, physicality, effort, and work habits to overcome his physical limitations. And frankly, Reynolds's thin frame gives him advantages other big WRs don't usually have. Reynolds is a gliding long-strider who preys upon CBs who don't respect his deep speed. Reynolds also displays incredible quick-twitch athleticism, foot quickness, and hip flexibility for a 6'3" WR. This makes him a highly effective route runner. To top it all off, Reynolds is as good as it gets at tracking the deep ball, has very reliable hands, and has shown the ability to make circus catches. All in all, Reynolds is a legitimate deep threat, red-zone threat, and dangerous route runner. He's also a high character kid who will do all the little things and give full effort at all times.

Summary: I am not a huge fan of Biegel as an edge rusher in the NFL, and there are legitimate concerns about his injury history. However, I love the thought of Biegel at SILB. Biegel lacks the power, length, ability to bend the edge, and explosiveness to win consistently as an edge rusher. However, Biegel has tremendous instincts, good speed for his size (4.67 40), good agility for his size, and a non-stop motor. At 6'3" 246, Biegel's size and athletic traits make him a perfect fit for SILB in Wade's scheme. He can hold his own in coverage and will be able to stack and shed blocks in the run game. He also has the speed and agility to run sideline to sideline. Biegel is a smart, high energy player who has quality athletic traits, but his traits simply don't fit on the edge. In addition to Biegel's value as a SILB, Biegel also has the makings of a studly core special teamer. That only increases his value on Day 3 of the Draft. Biegel provides a lot of value for us as a depth OLB, a possible starter at ILB (if we move Barron to SS), and a core special teamer. If Biegel gets drafted before this (a real possibility), I'd take ILB Blair Brown from Ohio in this spot.

Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn. Plus, we do Holsey a favor by drafting Josh Reynolds; he was the only WR I saw get the better of Holsey this year.

Summary: Chad Williams is a flyer and the first major character risk in this draft (I don't see Lewis as a character risk). Williams had a strong showing at the NFLPA Game and earned an invite to the Senior Bowl. He also had a strong showing during Senior Bowl practices. He reportedly showed the burst to separate out of his breaks and caught the ball well. He's still a very raw route runner and needs a lot of development before he's ready to play, but he has a lot of upside. Williams posted 90 catches for 1337 yards and 11 TDs this year at Grambling. In 2015, he posted 64 catches for 1012 yards and 10 TDs. Williams's basketball background has given him impressive body control and the ability to come down with jump balls. Williams proved he has NFL athleticism when he ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day at 6'1" 205. Williams plays the game with a chip on his shoulder, isn't afraid to get physical, and runs hard after the catch. However, he was arrested before this season on a marijuana and firearm possession charge.

Projected Starters

Great Draft!! Love it from Top to Bottom!!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Would love this and I think addressing defense is paramount.

But you have to be concerned about the WRs. Doubt Reynolds would start and be impactful as a rookie.

But I like everything else you did, so overall can't complain too much.

I think Reynolds has the ability to play right away. In a normal draft he's a 3rd or higher and most would be comfortable with him starting immediately. This isn't a normal draft so he might make it to the 5th. But besides his deep ability, he has multiple moves to release off the LOS, has an understanding of where the markers are, has quick feet to turn on a dime (I think his curl routes are really nice for example, despite his rep for being a deep threat only. He sells the vertical well, and uses his quickness to snap around as late as possible on those timing routes. Gives the defender no chance to defend it, as he uses his frame to shield the defender from the ball as well.) and he has nice hands and the ability to track and adjust to any ball to make some amazing catches. He's a good player. Not without flaws but he has some attributes to play right now.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Check please! Really like this one. Kittle is my new mid round crush because of you. Not gonna lie, when I heard is numbers from his workout I thought he was black. Saw a little tape, was dead wrong and got a little more excited lol. Could be a Greg Olsen type who can block inline. I'm starting to see mocks with him in the late 3rd. I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Higs and Hemingway. Great job and well presented as usual.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nice work, as usual. I think Watt goes in the first round, at this point, but I'd love to have him. I'm a huge fan of the Roullier pick; I'll have to use it in my future mock. Reynolds and Williams add juice to the wide receiver position, Vanderdoes is an underrated nose tackle, and Holsey and Lewis (if he's cleared of charges) are great picks as well.

I'm okay with the Kittle pick, but I prefer other tight ends, in my opinion. I'd also rather take an OLB over Biegel if he can't be an OLB.

Overall? A good draft.

EDIT: On second thought, Watt might not go in the first round. CBS has him rated as a second round pick, so nix my thoughts on him going in the first.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
McVay is a great offensive mind, but I don't know if I can get behind supplementing the 32nd ranked offense with Whitworth, Robert Woods, and waiting until the 4th round before you address the offense at all. I just don't see a rookie coach who is also calling plays not addressing the teams biggest deficiency and his specialty until round 4. Going from DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed, Pierre Garcon, Jamison Crowder, and an elite OL to Woods, Tavon, a 5th round WR and two 4th round TEs is a steep drop off. You can add Shane Ray behind Demarcus Ware and Von Miller and Bradley Robey behind Chris Harris and Aqib Talib when you have Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, and Julius Thomas on the other side of the ball. Pass rushers are valuable, IMO can't prioritize nickle back and NT when you have a young QB lacking weapons.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
TJ is damn good. He is following such a similar path to JJ. Just bursting onto the scene his junior year the way he did. Can't blame him for declaring early.

And of course Vince Biegel. The dude is non-stop and has a great football IQ. Biegel also had a good senior bowl. He's sort of a jack of all trades type guy.

The Badger linebackers in general this season we extremely impressive, especially given the injury issues. The depth the team had was unbelievable and the school is starting to produce some real prospects at the position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay is a great offensive mind, but I don't know if I can get behind supplementing the 32nd ranked offense with Whitworth, Robert Woods, and waiting until the 4th round before you address the offense at all. I just don't see a rookie coach who is also calling plays not addressing the teams biggest deficiency and his specialty until round 4. Going from DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed, Pierre Garcon, Jamison Crowder, and an elite OL to Woods, Tavon, a 5th round WR and two 4th round TEs is a steep drop off. You can add Shane Ray behind Demarcus Ware and Von Miller and Bradley Robey behind Chris Harris and Aqib Talib when you have Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, and Julius Thomas on the other side of the ball. Pass rushers are valuable, IMO can't prioritize nickle back and NT when you have a young QB lacking weapons.

IMO, our defense is closer to greatness than the offense. McVay was smart to address the elephant in the room (the OL) in FA in a huge way. With Kromer joining as OL Coach, I'm very confident we can put a quality starting five out there. I think that we can have one of the league's better run blocking OLs. That will allow McVay to use Gurley and the running game to open things up for the passing attack. I also believe we'll see much better pass blocking.

With Cooper, Thomas, and Higbee no longer rookies, we should see some improvement out of them. It's not an ideal scenario, but the truth is that the value picks at each spot were on defense. Once I got to the fourth round, there was really no reason to go WR before taking Josh Reynolds. The WRs I would have taken before him are all gone by that point imo. Reynolds is one of the more NFL ready WRs in this class.

As for going WR or TE early, it doesn't guarantee you anything for 2017. Tyler Higbee was a very talented pass catching TE coming out of college, and look what he did as a rookie. TEs have one of the toughest transitions to the NFL. At the end of the day, taking a WR or TE in the second or third round doesn't guarantee us that they'll be ready to make an impact in 2017.

Accordingly, I'd rather go after the best value and make use of the WR depth in this class. If McVay felt we were truly desperate at WR, don't you think he would have gone after another veteran WR?

I'd also rather take an OLB over Biegel if he can't be an OLB.

Appreciate the feedback, Memento! I took Biegel mainly to play ILB and special teams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Question....if by a very slim chance that interior OL'er Forrest Lamp was still on the board with that #5 second round selection would you change your mind?

As time goes on I see great value in this well rounded OL'er & wondering if he could be the center we been looking for since Andy blew out his knee over a decade ago.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question....if by a very slim chance that interior OL'er Forrest Lamp was still on the board with that #5 second round selection would you change your mind?

As time goes on I see great value in this well rounded OL'er & wondering if he could be the center we been looking for since Andy blew out his knee over a decade ago.

Yes. Then, I'd try to find a way to get T.J. Watt too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can't get mad at this at all either....Love it.....I've heard some say on path to the draft that TJ could play inside. What say you?

Williams outta Grambling can play too...Reynolds.....I like late round wr's....the right ones...

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Accordingly, I'd rather go after the best value and make use of the WR depth in this class. If McVay felt we were truly desperate at WR, don't you think he would have gone after another veteran WR?

I am not sure NT and nickle back are a value the way our roster is currently constructed. I know Wade can do more with less, but we can't say that just yet about Goff or McVay. Is Woods, Tavon, Reynolds/Cooper that much better than Britt, Tavon, Quick/Cooper? Just my opinion, but gotta give Goff, this young offensive mind, and this offensive coaching staff we have invested so much in more to work with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure NT and nickle back are a value the way our roster is currently constructed.

Lewis isn't a nickel back. He's a starting CB. My expectation is that he'd start with Trumaine Johnson and slide into the slot when we go to the nickel with Webster or Gaines playing outside.

Lewis is a first round talent available in the third round because of this stacked CB class. You're not going to find better value in this draft in the late 2nd to mid/late 3rd round than you'll find at CB. The fact that Wade blitzes on a high percentage of passing plays only makes a sticky press CB like Lewis more valuable to our team.

As for NT, I can't find the stat, but I remember reading that the Broncos spent more time in their base defense than any other team in the NFL last year. As it stands now, I'm not comfortable with our DL depth or with our current starters. Vanderdoes gives us a run-stuffing presence that we sorely need in our base defense, and he has pass rush potential down the line. He's a nice value pick in the 4th round because he physically has the talent of an early round pick. However, due to injuries, he'll fall to the mid-rounds. He fits a big need and offers nice value.

I know Wade can do more with less, but we can't say that just yet about Goff or McVay.

I don't want to ask Wade to do more with less. You don't need to score 30 PPG if you have a top 5 defense. Wade has shown he's capable of making a defense with good talent great and making a defense with great talent elite. It puts less pressure on Goff and McVay if our defense is consistently holding the opposition under 20 points per game.

Is Woods, Tavon, Reynolds/Cooper that much better than Britt, Tavon, Quick/Cooper? Just my opinion, but gotta give Goff, this young offensive mind, and this offensive coaching staff we have invested so much in more to work with.

In the most important respects, yes. For one, you don't have to worry about Woods, Tavon, and Reynolds/Cooper dogging it on their routes. Second, I think the route running will be significantly improved. Third, I trust McVay WAY MORE than I trust Boras or Cignetti to maximize the skill-sets of our players, scheme them open, and put them in positions to succeed.

Is Woods, Tavon, and Evan Engram or Zay Jones or Chris Godwin that much better than Britt, Tavon, and Quick or Cooper?(in 2017)

From my vantage point, whether we address WR in the second round or the fifth round, we're not going to have an elite unit unless a couple of our guys step up this year. Is it realistic to count on a rookie to be a superstar for us?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade

NFL Draft

Projected Starters

Jourdan Lewis the next Tye Hill?
Tye Hill 5-10, 185---NFL Bust
Jourdan Lewis 5-10, 188 ----NFL ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't get mad at this at all either....Love it.....I've heard some say on path to the draft that TJ could play inside. What say you?

Williams outta Grambling can play too...Reynolds.....I like late round wr's....the right ones...

Yea, he could, but I'd rather develop him as an OLB. He'll be more of an impact player at that position imo.

Appreciate the feedback, Champ!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure NT and nickle back are a value the way our roster is currently constructed. I know Wade can do more with less, but we can't say that just yet about Goff or McVay. Is Woods, Tavon, Reynolds/Cooper that much better than Britt, Tavon, Quick/Cooper? Just my opinion, but gotta give Goff, this young offensive mind, and this offensive coaching staff we have invested so much in more to work with.
What's the best friend a young QB can have? A running game and a defense that isn't going to put him so far behind he has to throw the ball 50 times a game. So far we're working towards that while also giving him better pass protection and giving him a reliable route runner with good hands that's a hard working pro. We also really don't know what we have in last years draft picks. To sell them short without seeing what we have in them is a disservice.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jourdan Lewis the next Tye Hill?
Tye Hill 5-10, 185---NFL Bust
Jourdan Lewis 5-10, 188 ----NFL ?
So height and weight tell you who will succeed and who won't? Interesting analytics. Mardy Gilyard was 6'0" 187lbs we better not ever draft a WR with those same specs! OH NO! Robert Woods is 6'0" 190lbs we're screwed now :D