Jrry32 Post Free Agency Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it seems like our major moves in FA have been made which were to keep Dunbar and Saffold. We might add some depth but I don't expect something major. So after Free Agency, here's what I am thinking:

Trade
Rams trade:
Pick #2

Browns trade:
Pick #4
Pick #26

Rams trade:
3rd round pick
4th round pick
6th round pick

Packers trade:
2nd round pick

Analysis: I think the Browns coveting Derek Carr might be smoke at this point. With them cutting Campbell and Weeden lose, I can see them having plans for a QB they want. Just speculation here but I think they may like Teddy Bridgewater who, imo, is also the QB the Jaguars covet. The Browns decide to jump the Jaguars, who take Clowney, and grab Bridgewater after Bortles goes #1.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #4 - Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
Analysis:
With Saffold back in St. Louis, our OL need has decreased and imo, the Rams are planning to add another veteran OG for depth purposes. I love Jake Matthews and would be elated if we take him on draft day but I'm also quite high on Watkins. Watkins offers our offense explosive speed to take the top off the defense, natural hands, and the YAC ability to produce explosive plays. He's a hard worker that plays with a high motor on the field and runs very hard after the catch. Watkins also plucks the ball naturally away from his frame and is an extremely athletic player. Him and Austin's speed on the edge have the potential to make our offense lethal. If Tahj Boyd could throw the deep ball, Watkins records at least 5-10 more TDs over his college career. Bradford will love hitting this man on 9 routes and posts.

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Analysis:
Some will say that we have to go safety here but I don't prioritize need over value. Donald is an incredible talent that would add another pass rush dimension to our Defensive Line with the potential to make it the best unit in football. His athleticism, motor, technique and strength made him college football's most dominant and disruptive defender. This kid has the potential to be a game changer in the NFL and a John Randle or Geno Atkins type DT. Put him on a DL with Brockers, Quinn and Long? That's scary.

Round 1 Pick #26 - Jason Verrett CB TCU
Analysis:
Verrett is a smooth as silk CB with loose hips, long speed, and natural cover skills. He possesses excellent instincts, isn't afraid to come up and make tackles in run support and has very polished technique at the CB position. Verrett is a pro ready player that can play in the slot and outside in any scheme and would be the #1 CB drafted if not for his height.

Round 2 Pick #12 - Brandon Thomas OG/OT Clemson
Analysis:
Thomas played LT, LG, RG and RT in his time at Clemson. He showed the ability to be a quality college starter at all four positions. In the NFL, I think his best fit will be at LG. Thomas is 6'3" 320 with long arms for his height and good athleticism. He's has an explosive first step for an OL and is a very adept puncher in pass protection. Thomas also possesses a strong anchor and a good understanding of angles. He needs to improve his leg drive when power blocking but he has the functional strength to become an excellent drive blocker with proper coaching. Thomas has as high of a ceiling as any OG in this draft(excluding Robinson and Matthews).

Round 2 Pick #21 - Terrence Brooks FS Florida State
Analysis:
Brooks is a former CB that moved to FS in 2012. He turned in the fastest 40 time among safeties at the combine at 4.42. He possesses outstanding range, good ball-skills and is a solid tackler in space. He spent much of his time at FSU playing in deep zone coverage and did well at it. Would fit in well with what Williams looks for from his FS with his speed, range, deep zone skills, and man coverage ability.

Round 5 Pick #13 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming
Analysis:
The Rams get there backup developmental QB in Smith. Smith measured in at 6'2" 207 with 10 inch hands at his Pro Day and ran a 4.51 40. He possesses good escapability, outstanding athleticism, solid pocket presence and flashes ball placement. Smith only has an average arm and is a bit too aggressive with it but he has the tools and shows the competitiveness to possibly develop into a starting caliber QB with the right coaching. If not, he should at least be a solid backup.

Round 6 Pick Comp - Andre Hal CB Vanderbilt
Analysis:
Rams add Hal to give them additional depth in the secondary and as a CB to develop behind Jenkins, Johnson, Verrett, and McGee. Hall is a bit undersized at 5'10" 190 but played well in the SEC, ran well at the combine and has the physical talent to be a NFL contributor on defense and special teams

Round 6 Pick Comp - George Atkinson III HB Notre Dame
Analysis:
The Rams add a HB here to improve the depth behind Stacy. Atkinson possesses game-breaking speed, can contribute as a KR and has 6'1" 220 pound size. Sadly, Atkinson doesn't play up to his size. He doesn't run with power or behind his pads. Still, he can take the ball the distance when he gets a seam. Worth taking a shot on an athletic HB like Atkinson here.

Round 7 Pick #11 - Trey Millard FB Oklahoma
Analysis:
Millard is a hyper athletic FB from Oklahoma. He can lead block, catch the ball out of the back-field and run with it effectively. He appeared to be well on his way to being a 4th round pick due to his freakish athleticism for a 6'2" 255 pound FB but he tore his ACL during the 2013 season. Still, he has a lot of potential as a weapon and lead blocker in the NFL.

Round 7 Pick Comp - Kenarious Gates OT/OG Georgia
Analysis:
Gates played LT at UGA but fits better in the pros at OG. He would give us additional depth on the OL and a developmental OG for Boudreau to work with. Might show the ability to play RT and push Barksdale. Who knows.

Round 7 Pick Comp - Denicos Allen OLB Michigan State
Analysis:
Allen was a major playmaker at Michigan State and arguably their best defensive player over the past three years. That all said, he's too small to be an every down LB in the NFL. Still, Allen has the attitude and athleticism to be a special teams star. Guy flies around like a missile. Overachiever.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Trey Millard
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Brandon Thomas
C: Scott Wells
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Jason Verrett
FS: Terrence Brooks
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

What do you guys think?

I like it, would do differently myself, and if you're using a top 15 pick on a DT I'd hope he'd be starting in his rookie season, but all in all very nice.

wrstdude

Rookie
Was reading yesterday on twitter that Smith was throwing 55-60 yd passes during his pro day. That really upgraded his arm. He's my late round QB pick as well. I'm on board w/ this draft although I don't know if I'm sold on Watkins. I really want Matthews/Robinson.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Love the Brett Smith pick myself. He's the guy I'd use a pick on as my backup quarterback. Personally, I think he's a lock for the fourth round or higher, so getting him in the fifth might be a bit of a stretch. But overall, I'm a fan of this draft, and if it turned out like that, I wouldn't be upset at all.

scifiman

At this point in time anything is possible. What you should do is make a mock with no trades and see if it is better value in the long run. Trying to figure trades right now is futile. But hey anything is possible.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't see the Rams draft Donald and they will go QB much earlier than round five. Plus they will draft an OL in the first if they end up with three first round picks.

With all due respect jrry you're picking the players that you like and I understand that is part of the mock, but maybe I'm wrong and maybe I should take the time to actually do a mock, but you guys are far better than I.

nighttrain

Legend
What do you guys think?
Terrence Brooks FS Florida State Hope not, maybe just be I my fantasy, but I'm hoping Cody Jones with his legit 4.41 time and sure tackling skills saves this draft spot for another guard. OL needs depth, otherwise to my lesser knowledge, looks good
train

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
You had me til round 6 - look like a bunch of throways from there on.

jjab360

Legend
Terrence Brooks FS Florida State Hope not, maybe just be I my fantasy, but I'm hoping Cody Jones with his legit 4.41 time and sure tackling skills saves this draft spot for another guard. OL needs depth, otherwise to my lesser knowledge, looks good
train
Do you mean Cody Davis? If so, I think a lot of Rams fans are buying the hype with that kid, and I just don't see it. I also think it would be completely unnecessary to grab a backup O-lineman with a second round pick, especially right after you just drafted Thomas.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You had me til round 6 - look like a bunch of throways from there on.

That's most likely what you're going to get. In this mock, we had 6th round comp picks(last picks of the 6th round), a mid 7th and 7th round comp picks. I have no idea which hyped players will drop so I threw in some late round names.

Maybe they pan out...but they most likely don't. I think Millard would be a useful asset and Allen can contribute on special teams. Gates, Hal and Atkinson are just fliers.

Would love to add Jeremy Gallon in there but I don't feel like we would be able to keep him on the roster.

nighttrain

Legend
Do you mean Cody Davis? If so, I think a lot of Rams fans are buying the hype with that kid, and I just don't see it. I also think it would be completely unnecessary to grab a backup O-lineman with a second round pick, especially right after you just drafted Thomas.
by bad ameant Davis, and we have NOT drafted anyone as of yet, who knows, we may trade down to BAP, and go on from their for depth
train