Jrry32 Post-Combine Mock Draft (3/8/20)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has been awhile since I last put out a mock. I've unfortunately been busy with real life and haven't had as much time to watch players this year. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm hopeful I'll be able to do it.
Restructure
QB Jared Goff

Goff's contract is one that makes sense for a restructure because it has a large roster bonus and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Re-sign
K Greg Zuerlein
OT Andrew Whitworth
DL Morgan Fox
QB Blake Bortles
All Practice Squad Players
All ERFAs

Yes, we're letting Littleton walk. I don't take pleasure in that, but we have to make hard decisions. Littleton's price tag is too high for me. He's a good but not elite ILB. Whitworth has announced that he wants to return. It makes logical sense to bring him back. It'll give Noteboom additional time to recover from his injury.

Trades
Rams trade WR Josh Reynolds
Bills trade 2021 Round 5 Pick

In this mock, we keep Robert Woods, but we still have a lot of mouths to feed in the passing game. Reynolds is entering the final year of his deal, so we flip him to Buffalo for a future 5th (to compensate for the 5th we traded to Cleveland).

Rams trade CB Nickell Robey-Coleman and Round 7 Pick #20
Bengals trade Round 6 Pick #1

The Bengals' slot CB, Darqueze Dennard, is a FA. NRC is still a quality slot CB who fits Cincy's scheme. With Ramsey, Hill, Long, and Darious Williams, we have enough depth and talent at CB to trade NRC and save a few bucks on his salary.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #20
Ravens trade Round 3 Pick #28 and Round 4 Pick #33

Ravens trade up for a player. They have multiple fourth round picks, so this isn't a huge loss for them.

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #34 and Round 6 Pick #20
49ers trade Round 5 Pick #10 and Round 5 Pick #30

49ers trade up for a player.

Rams trade Round 6 Pick #1
Saints trade Round 6 Pick #24 and 2021 Round 6 Pick

We trade down again.

Free Agency
AP_19231081765603.jpg

Stephen Weatherly OLB

Weatherly has been stuck behind Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter in Minnesota, but I think he's an underrated player. At 6'5" 265, he seems big for a 3-4 OLB at first glance, but he's an athletic big man who played 3-4 OLB in college. Personally, I think he's an underrated player who could break out if given a larger role. He's a really good run defender on the edge who has the athleticism to drop into coverage when needed. His pass rush potential isn't entirely clear at this stage, but he has shown flashes when given PT in Minnesota. I think he has the potential to be a real bargain for us.

AAFUfMb.img

Avery Williamson ILB

Williamson is a potential cap casualty for the Jets. He's a well-rounded ILB who was expected to be a major player next to C.J. Mosley coming off his strong 2018 season. However, he tore his ACL during the preseason and missed the season. I think he's a guy who could prove to be a real bargain this off-season. If he returns to his 2018 form, he's a good starting ILB who can do a bit of everything. Because he's a cut, he won't cost us a comp pick.

hi-res-c76d946452780eb86d46433bd5f9ddf8_crop_north.jpg

Jordan Reed TE

Reed is another cut for us to sign. This is a bit of a luxury signing for us, but Reed produced extremely well under McVay. Of course, the contract would have to be one heavy on incentives based on games played because of Reed's injury issues. Still, he could do well on a "prove it" deal here.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #20 - Robert Hunt OG Louisiana-Lafayette

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amIG_LweREM

Analysis: Hunt is a mauling monster of a run blocker who put his guy on the ground with regularity. At 6'5" 325 with good athleticism and overwhelming power, Hunt has the potential to be a perfect replacement for Rodger Saffold. During his time at Louisiana, he started at RT and LG. He has the athleticism and length to stick at RT, but he would need a lot of technical refinement in pass protection there first. At OG, I think he has the potential to compete for a starting job as a rookie due to his size, power, and athleticism. He'll need to be more consistent with his pad level and precise with his hand placement, though.

Round 3 Pick #28 - Jonathan Greenard OLB Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIF9wrXiEsA

Analysis: I said awhile back that I expected Greenard's stock to take a hit at the Combine, and that seems to have happened. Greenard has had some durability struggles in college and didn't test extraordinarily well, but he's a heady pass rusher who does the little things well. He's also an extremely tough player who will play through injuries and give it his all on every snap. He has the potential to be a solid all around EDGE defender. As a pass rusher, his footwork stands out to me. He understands how to use stutters and false steps to get the OT out of position.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Evan Weaver ILB California

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13Z-MaE6a8

Analysis: Weaver actually turned in a much better Combine than expected. I thought with a poor showing, he'd fall to the 5th or 6th round. Instead, he turned in a respectable Combine. He ran a 4.76 40 (better than the 4.8 40 expected of him) and performed well in the agility drills. Weaver has his limitations and will never be a good matchup for twitchy HBs and receivers in M2M coverage. But he has phenomenal instincts, can defeat blocks, and is a heady zone defender. Yes, Weaver has his athletic limitations, but he's also a tackling machine who will leave everything he has on the field.

Round 4 Pick #33 - James Lynch DL Baylor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8iOvwFQzM

Analysis: It's possible that Lynch goes higher than this. He's a tough projection. He put up stellar production this year (19.5 TFLs and 13.5 sacks) as a 3-4 DE, but his traits aren't special. He has good burst and power for a 6'4" 290 pound DL, but he has very short arms and doesn't really have any dominant traits. He's a smart player who plays hard and executes his responsibilities well. I've seen him compared to Matt Ioannidis, another DL I liked who fell way further than he should have. Lynch is capable of spelling Donald or playing 5-Tech.

Round 5 Pick #7 - Nick Harris C Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQvM-7Q9Jo

Analysis: Harris had a rough Senior Bowl week and is undersized at 6'1" 300, but the Senior Bowl wasn't really a place where he'd stand out. It doesn't play to his strengths. Harris is a great athlete with outstanding movement skills and really shines as a combo blocker. He's also very experienced and heady. He's an active and aggressive player who compensates for his lack of size with his aggression and core strength. Harris is likely to fall down the board due to his small stature and lack of positional flexibility, but he has the potential to be an effective starter in a ZBS like ours.

Round 5 Pick #30 - Broderick Washington DL Texas Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCe7ESUtl0

Analysis: Washington is a lunch-pail defender who was well liked by Texas Tech's coaches and his teammates. He's not going to be a game-changing talent in the NFL, but he's a guy who can be an effective rotational player because he's capable of playing any position on an even front. He plays the game with effort and violence, uses his short and squatty build well to clog up gaps in the running game, and shows great awareness when it comes to finding the football. He's an effective run stopper who unfortunately doesn't appear to have a ton of pass rush potential.

Round 6 Pick #24 - Quintez Cephus WR Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjl_Q1kR0qM

Analysis: The Combine went very poorly for Cephus and likely dropped him from a 4th round pick to a 6th/7th round pick. It's hard to ignore his 4.7 40. That's brutal. But it's also hard to ignore the tape on Cephus. He's a quality route runner with outstanding hands who uses his strength and size to create separation at the catch point. He's also an excellent run blocker, which is important in our scheme. And while his 40 was quite bad, he doesn't play anywhere near that slow on tape.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Competition
C: Competition
RG: David Edwards
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Sebastian Joseph-Day
NT: Greg Gaines
UT: Aaron Donald
OLB: Clay Matthews
ILB: Competition
ILB: Avery Williamson
OLB: Stephen Weatherly
LCB: Jalen Ramsey
RCB: Troy Hill
SLCB: David Long Jr.
FS: John Johnson III
SS: Taylor Rapp

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It has been awhile since I last put out a mock. I've unfortunately been busy with real life and haven't had as much time to watch players this year. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm hopeful I'll be able to do it.
Restructure
QB Jared Goff

Goff's contract is one that makes sense for a restructure because it has a large roster bonus and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Re-sign
K Greg Zuerlein
OT Andrew Whitworth
DL Morgan Fox
QB Blake Bortles
All ERFAs

Yes, we're letting Littleton walk. I don't take pleasure in that, but we have to make hard decisions. Littleton's price tag is too high for me. He's a good but not elite ILB. Whitworth has announced that he wants to return. It makes logical sense to bring him back. It'll give Noteboom additional time to recover from his injury.

Trades

In this mock, we keep Robert Woods, but we still have a lot of mouths to feed in the passing game. Reynolds is entering the final year of his deal, so we flip him to Buffalo for a future 5th (to compensate for the 5th we traded to Cleveland).

The Bengals' slot CB, Darqueze Dennard, is a FA. NRC is still a quality slot CB who fits Cincy's scheme. With Ramsey, Hill, Long, and Darious Williams, we have enough depth and talent at CB to trade NRC and save a few bucks on his salary.

Ravens trade up for a player. They have multiple fourth round picks, so this isn't a huge loss for them.

We trade down again.

Free Agency
AP_19231081765603.jpg

Stephen Weatherly OLB

Weatherly has been stuck behind Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter in Minnesota, but I think he's an underrated player. At 6'5" 265, he seems big for a 3-4 OLB at first glance, but he's an athletic big man who played 3-4 OLB in college. Personally, I think he's an underrated player who could break out if given a larger role. He's a really good run defender on the edge who has the athleticism to drop into coverage when needed. His pass rush potential isn't entirely clear at this stage, but he has shown flashes when given PT in Minnesota. I think he has the potential to be a real bargain for us.

AAFUfMb.img

Avery Williamson ILB

Williamson is a potential cap casualty for the Jets. He's a well-rounded ILB who was expected to be a major player next to C.J. Mosley coming off his strong 2018 season. However, he tore his ACL during the preseason and missed the season. I think he's a guy who could prove to be a real bargain this off-season. If he returns to his 2018 form, he's a good starting ILB who can do a bit of everything. Because he's a cut, he won't cost us a comp pick.

Jordan Reed TE

Reed is another cut for us to sign. This is a bit of a luxury signing for us, but Reed produced extremely well under McVay. Of course, the contract would have to be one heavy on incentives based on games played because of Reed's injury issues. Still, he could do well on a "prove it" deal here.

NFL Draft

Analysis: Hunt is a mauling monster of a run blocker who put his guy on the ground with regularity. At 6'5" 325 with good athleticism and overwhelming power, Hunt has the potential to be a perfect replacement for Rodger Saffold. During his time at Louisiana, he started at RT and LG. He has the athleticism and length to stick at RT, but he would need a lot of technical refinement in pass protection there first. At OG, I think he has the potential to compete for a starting job as a rookie due to his size, power, and athleticism. He'll need to be more consistent with his pad level and precise with his hand placement, though.

Analysis: I said awhile back that I expected Greenard's stock to take a hit at the Combine, and that seems to have happened. Greenard has had some durability struggles in college and didn't test extraordinarily well, but he's a heady pass rusher who does the little things well. He's also an extremely tough player who will play through injuries and give it his all on every snap. He has the potential to be a solid all around EDGE defender. As a pass rusher, his footwork stands out to me. He understands how to use stutters and false steps to get the OT out of position.

Analysis: Weaver actually turned in a much better Combine than expected. I thought with a poor showing, he'd fall to the 5th or 6th round. Instead, he turned in a respectable Combine. He ran a 4.76 40 (better than the 4.8 40 expected of him) and performed well in the agility drills. Weaver has his limitations and will never be a good matchup for twitchy HBs and receivers in M2M coverage. But he has phenomenal instincts, can defeat blocks, and is a heady zone defender. Yes, Weaver has his athletic limitations, but he's also a tackling machine who will leave everything he has on the field.

Analysis: It's possible that Lynch goes higher than this. He's a tough projection. He put up stellar production this year (19.5 TFLs and 13.5 sacks) as a 3-4 DE, but his traits aren't special. He has good burst and power for a 6'4" 290 pound DL, but he has very short arms and doesn't really have any dominant traits. He's a smart player who plays hard and executes his responsibilities well. I've seen him compared to Matt Ioannidis, another DL I liked who fell way further than he should have. Lynch is capable of spelling Donald or playing 5-Tech.

Analysis: Harris had a rough Senior Bowl week and is undersized at 6'1" 300, but the Senior Bowl wasn't really a place where he'd stand out. It doesn't play to his strengths. Harris is a great athlete with outstanding movement skills and really shines as a combo blocker. He's also very experienced and heady. He's an active and aggressive player who compensates for his lack of size with his aggression and core strength. Harris is likely to fall down the board due to his small stature and lack of positional flexibility, but he has the potential to be an effective starter in a ZBS like ours.

Analysis: Washington is a lunch-pail defender who was well liked by Texas Tech's coaches and his teammates. He's not going to be a game-changing talent in the NFL, but he's a guy who can be an effective rotational player because he's capable of playing any position on an even front. He plays the game with effort and violence, uses his short and squatty build well to clog up gaps in the running game, and shows great awareness when it comes to finding the football. He's an effective run stopper who unfortunately doesn't appear to have a ton of pass rush potential.

Analysis: The Combine went very poorly for Cephus and likely dropped him from a 4th round pick to a 6th/7th round pick. It's hard to ignore his 4.7 40. That's brutal. But it's also hard to ignore the tape on Cephus. He's a quality route runner with outstanding hands who uses his strength and size to create separation at the catch point. He's also an excellent run blocker, which is important in our scheme. And while his 40 was quite bad, he doesn't play anywhere near that slow on tape.

Projected Starters

This adds beef to the places I want.

We’d be loaded at TE. Everett still on roster, right?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Love the Robert Hunt pick. He's got the biggest mean streak out of any offensive lineman I've watched this year, including Stenberg. He's also extremely athletic, and yeah, he'd be a perfect replacement for Saffold.

Also like the Harris, Weaver, and Greenard picks.

I'd be happy if this went down as the offseason (except for Cephus, but I'm not going to get into that again.)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot to like about this draft! Good work as always.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
really like the hunt pick because of the og and rt possibility. most think havenstine going to step right back in to rt and play like its 2018 but I don,t so hunt could step into og or be competition for rt. with the free agents and draft the lb and dl positions should be well covered. I was wondering if you thought cb and s were ok or if no picks there was just the way the draft fell

Ram65

Legend
Nice veteran pickups. Like Lynch and Weaver. Would like to see Hunt take a starter position at OG.

Not a fan of the trades. No way they trade with whiners. Keep Reynolds just in case.

Trades

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This adds beef to the places I want.

We’d be loaded at TE. Everett still on roster, right?

He is. But odds are that Reed doesn't play much for us.

really like the hunt pick because of the og and rt possibility. most think havenstine going to step right back in to rt and play like its 2018 but I don,t so hunt could step into og or be competition for rt. with the free agents and draft the lb and dl positions should be well covered. I was wondering if you thought cb and s were ok or if no picks there was just the way the draft fell

It's just the way the draft worked out. I expect we'd grab some UDFAs. We've had some luck developing players at those positions.

Nice veteran pickups. Like Lynch and Weaver. Would like to see Hunt take a starter position at OG.

Not a fan of the trades. No way they trade with whiners. Keep Reynolds just in case.

I doubt they care about the 49ers as long as we're getting a fair deal. Reynolds is a free agent after the year, is buried on the depth chart, and this is a strong WR class. I'm not sure why we'd keep him.

Ram65

Legend
I doubt they care about the 49ers as long as we're getting a fair deal. Reynolds is a free agent after the year, is buried on the depth chart, and this is a strong WR class. I'm not sure why we'd keep him.

I get it but, Reynolds has had to fill in for Kupp in 2018 and Cooks in 2019. McVay mentioned keeping the WR fresh this year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Restructure
QB Jared Goff

Re-sign
K Greg Zuerlein
OT Andrew Whitworth
DL Morgan Fox
QB Blake Bortles
All ERFAs

Trades

We trade down again.

Free Agency
AP_19231081765603.jpg

Stephen Weatherly OLB

AAFUfMb.img

Avery Williamson ILB

Jordan Reed TE

NFL Draft

Projected Starters

Oh hell. Now I guess I gotta start paying attention to these guys so I can tell you you're full of crap of course. Gotta keep you grounded. :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it but, Reynolds has had to fill in for Kupp in 2018 and Cooks in 2019. McVay mentioned keeping the WR fresh this year.

That's not as big of a deal with Reed and Everett capable of taking on those snaps and Higbee breaking out. Plus, we'll have Cephus, Webster, and others. That pick will mean more to us next year than Reynolds being afterthought in the passing game this year.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I guess I like the Hunt pick, we need a stud at OG; I can't tell who he is in the highlight vid, you say he plays RT and LG?
My main complaint with this draft is there's no selection for a stud C, either in F/A or draft. Your write up of Nick harris doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Aren't we starting to run more power scheme vs. ZBS?
I'd take Cephus in round 5. His productivity reminds me of Stedman's, but this kid is bigger, stronger, and a YAC machine. Great replacement for Reynolds. I don't have any idea what his mental issues are, hope it's not a serious problem. The NFL is littered with head-case WR's.
If he's not available in rnd 5, or if that's over-drafting him, who else in round 5 or even 4 is available at WR? I really feel that's a serious need for us, and this draft is rumored to be an A+ deep WR draft. I'd put our need for a WR1a (or even WR1) as one of the top 3 selections or F/A needs to address this off-season. Our WR room is deep, but it's a B+ room, with no reliable WR1 or deep threat available, as Cooks may not be around very much longer, sad to say. Without Reynolds, Kupp is our biggest WR, everyone else is 6-0 or smaller.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Lynch is a solid 2'nd round pick, doubt he falls to the 4'th.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Reynolds would fetch us more than a fifth round pick I would hope. Otherwise he’s not worth trading. Ship Cooks out of here if that’s all we get for Josh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reynolds would fetch us more than a fifth round pick I would hope. Otherwise he’s not worth trading. Ship Cooks out of here if that’s all we get for Josh.

I'd rather not sell low on Cooks when there's nothing to gain in terms of cap space.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also look for the Rams to trade down and add multiple picks to our draft.
There are a few teams with an abundance of picks who might want to move up.
Baltimore, Green Bay, Denver Miami and Jax among others have draft slots that align
very well for potential trades with the Rams.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The good thing is, we are pretty set at the skill positions that are more expensive and require higher draft picks to fill. Most of our needs can be filled with inexpensive FAs and mid round picks, except maybe a LT to groom for next year. We should have many trade down opportunities to add mid round picks to fill our needs.