Jrry32 Mock Off-Season Numero Uno

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the first mock I've put together on here(I think). I ran the salary cap numbers and did my best with the draft. Don't promise everyone will love it but it's just the way I'm leaning right now.
Restructure
Sam Bradford - 2 years $16 million($13 million guaranteed...Full $8 million first year base and $5 million of the second year base)
Total Cap Savings: $4.9 million
Total Cap Room: $9.4 million

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $30 million

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 5 years $30 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 1 year $2 million
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Alex Carrington - 1 year $1.5 million
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Austin Davis - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Johnny Hekker - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $17.7 million
Total Cap Room: $13.3 million

The Bradford deal takes the near $13 million base and guarantees it but spreads it out over two seasons with the addition of $3 million. I think it's a win-win. It's about what Bradford's market value would be, he gets the guarantees in order to accept a pay cut, and the Rams keep their QB. We all want to win next year and Bradford gives us our best chance. He knows the system and is a veteran QB. We know he's a solid starter at worst that plays well in clutch moments and doesn't turn the ball over a lot. But Bradford is only Plan A, trust me, there's a Plan B in case of injury.

The other re-signings are pretty standard. I want to keep Britt for another year but I'm not willing to give him a longer term deal. Kendricks is a valuable role player for us. Barksdale is a solid starter at RT. And the rest all have important roles on the team.

Free Agency

Marcus-Cannon-Patriots.jpg

Marcus Cannon OT/OG New England Patriots
2 years $5 million($2 million first year)

Rams need depth on the OL. Cannon isn't a quality starter but he's not a major liability as depth. With Saffold's injury history, we need to be prepared for the worst. That is one major issue we've had, we just haven't had quality depth behind our starters on the OL.

a_leger_300.jpg

Leger Douzable DT New York Jets
2 years $4 million($2 million first year)

I think that the DT rotation is extremely important. Douzable is a solid rotational DT that has done well for himself in New York. With Kendall Langford departing, the Rams need to replace him in the rotation. Will Hayes can still contribute some at DT but having Douzable and Carrington will take some of the pressure off of Hayes.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #10 - TRADE - Cleveland trades #22, 2nd, 4th, and 6th
Analysis:
Cleveland moves up due to them having the extra first and fourth from Buffalo which gives them flexibility. The Rams get back the picks they gave up for Barron. With Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota off the board, the Rams decide that they'd rather grab the extra picks.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Brett Hundley QB UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pIRtnLOnU8

Analysis: I have been hard on Hundley but I want to backtrack a bit from my stance on him. With Bradford coming back, I'm willing to take a shot on Hundley in the late 1st or early 2nd. Hundley has all the tools at 6'3" 230 with a strong arm and great mobility. He has shown improved pocket movement and awareness this year. He plays in an offense that asks him to go through progressions, utilizes a pro style route tree, and asks him to throw timing patterns. Hundley has a tendency to drop his eyes when pressured and holds the ball too long. However, I think these are fixable issues if he gets time on the bench. Having Sam buys us time to develop the immensely talented Hundley and if Sam does get injured, Hundley gives us a legitimate option off the bench.

Round 2 Pick #10 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkUVV9lv_dg

Analysis: If you think the big boys on the OL are as important as I do, this is a pick that'll knock your socks off. The only reason why Cann slips out of the first round is that he's a pure OG that lacks great athleticism. Cann's doesn't have outstanding feet or lateral movement. However, that does not hinder him because he's so adept at identifying targets on the move, reading the defense, and getting a hat on his man. He's extremely technically sound with the strength and leg drive to move defenders off the LOS and put them on their back. Cann also is one of the best I've seen at maintaining leverage as an OL despite his 6'3"/6'4" size. He shoots off the ball low and gets underneath defenders. When pass blocking, he sits back in his stance comfortably with easy bend at the knees and hips. He's very difficult to move with a bull-rush and is very active and aggressive with his hands. He needs to get quicker off the LOS and has some issues with quick DTs that get skinny when pass blocking. He also needs to keep his head up as he gets a tad over-aggressive as a pass blocker. Still, this guy is a plug and play NFL LG and a great overall prospect. He demolishes people in the running game.

Round 2 Pick #22 - Duke Johnson HB Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8vr-MLtB0

Analysis: I know what people are thinking...why are we drafting a HB? I like Bennie, Tre, and Stacy. However, I also think that you have to take talent when it's available. I recall hearing during the Arizona game that the Rams are the most run heavy team in the NFL in the first half of games. It's clear we want to establish a running game. Duke Johnson would be a first round HB in a lot of classes. It just so happens that this year might be the most stacked HB class in a LONG time. HBs tend to fall on draft day and Johnson is a tad undersized at 5'9" 205. There are also some questions about his durability. Johnson seems like the perfect guy to pair up with Mason to keep both of them fresh and healthy. Johnson is an explosive runner with breakaway speed, surprising power for his size(rarely goes down on first contact), and the wiggle to make defenders miss in the open field. He also has good hands out of the back-field. This guy is a threat to take it to the house any time he touches it. Plus, the guy is an explosive and dangerous kick returner.

Round 3 Pick #10 - Andy Gallik C Boston College
Analysis:
Tough Center and a tenacious run blocker with active, powerful hands. Gallik isn't the type to blow people off the ball but he does a good job of getting enough push and using his angles to open up running lanes in the middle. He shows the lateral agility and burst to be dangerous as a pulling blocker but needs to improve his angles in space as well as his ability to locate targets as he has a tendency to overrun his angles when pulling which makes it difficult for him to get that crushing block on the second level. As a pass protector, he's still a work in progress. He needs improve his punch timing and mechanics. Has a tendency to not fully extend and let defenders into his body but he has a wide base, a strong lower body, and good balance. Needs to improve his upper body strength which should also help him as a run blocker. There's some development here but I really like his attitude and ability in the run game as well as his lateral agility.

Round 4 Pick #22 - Vince Mayle WR Washington State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVbbH8r0-Q

Analysis: Some of you might not like us taking another developmental WR but as I said with the Duke Johnson pick, it's all about collecting talent. Here's the story on Vince Mayle...he played HB in high school but decided to play basketball at the JUCO level instead of football. Returned to football in 2012 at the JUCO level before transferring to WSU before the 2013 season. In 2013, the 6'3" 240 pound Mayle played TE for WSU and caught 7 TDs in his first year out of JUCO. This year, WSU asked him to drop 20 pounds and play WR for them. He did and has responded with 86 catches, 1152 yards, and 9 TDs on the year. Mayle is just starting to come into his own and I want to see what he can develop into. I think like with Quick, Kenny Britt can help teach this big WR how to impose his will on the field physically. Typically, I stay away from players who have had some drop issues like Mayle has this year but I'm willing to take the chance here. I think his athletic upside makes him well worth the pick in the 3rd/4th round. We're talking about a 6'3" 220 pound WR that looks like he glides on the field due to his light, quick feet(basketball) and his impressive top-end speed. I want to remember that THIS GUY was playing TE last year:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11644153

Round 5 Pick #10 - Jordan Hicks OLB Texas

Round 6 Pick #22 - Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA

Round 7 Pick #10 - Kenny Williams HB/LB/ST Texas Tech

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really like this. Except I think Gaines starts over Jenkins and he goes to the slot. He's our best CB. Sometimes players just come right in and show what kind of player they are. I'm holding out on Barrett Jones. I hope he can start. Otherwise good draft. Although I don't really like the runningback in the 3rd round.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I knew you would come around with Hundley and he's the perfect fit even if Bradford can actually play a whole season. My other move would be coaching staff changes on the offensive side of the ball, but that's for a different thread...As usual great off season mock and you always throw in a Gamecock for good measure!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew you would come around with Hundley and he's the perfect fit even if Bradford can actually play a whole season. My other move would be coaching staff changes on the offensive side of the ball, but that's for a different thread...As usual great off season mock and you always throw in a Gamecock for good measure!

I think if we are to draft Hundley, we have to have someone who can start in 2015 because I think he needs development before he sees the field.

A55VA6

Legend
LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

Really hope they move Joyner to Safety but I don't see it happening. On paper, that defense is really really good.

A55VA6

Legend
I think if we are to draft Hundley, we have to have someone who can start in 2015 because I think he needs development before he sees the field.
I think the ideal situation is to have Bradford back and healthy and have a guy like Hundley sit behind him for a year and go from there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the ideal situation is to have Bradford back and healthy and have a guy like Hundley sit behind him for a year and go from there.

Yea, I'm feeling the same way. But we can't pay Bradford his full salary next year. He has to take a pay cut.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You already addressed that many would have a problem with us going HB in the second. I haven't actually watched the guy play much but I would probably also have a problem with us going RB that early.

I'm confused as to how the Cleveland trade goes down. Did I miss something or did you already explain it? What I don't see is where you projected us picking and how we have both the 10th and 22nd pick in the first round as well as getting our 4th and 6th back. Who do you see Cleveland wanting that bad that they ould give up two firsts and their 4th and 6th? That would mean we'd be slotted in the top 5?

I like where you are going with most of this though it really looks like you are going mostly developmental and physical talent. It will be interesting to see if Mayle goes that late. I don't know if someone will fall in love with his physical stature. I've seen guys bounce off of him like a bug. But do you think he comes out of his breaks smooth and sharp enough to be a force in the NFL?

I think you could be right on Hundley. He doesn't have a bunch of talent around him so if he is able to make the transition, he will need time. I think it would be cool to see what he could do with a little more talent to throw to.

Interesting that you only have us getting one starter out of the draft. I get it but with that in mind, do you think they instead go LB in the 2nd? I realize these aren't set in stone and can REALLY change as the season unfolds.

BTW - do you see any can't miss TEs out there. I think ours are fairly good but just wonder if an upgrade doesn't fit our scheme and Fish's MO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You already addressed that many would have a problem with us going HB in the second. I haven't actually watched the guy play much but I would probably also have a problem with us going RB that early.

I'm of the mind that you should be always upgrading when you can. Mason isn't going to be the type to tote the rock 350 times in a year. I think he's best suited for a role where he's in a HB by committee. I like Bennie but he can be upgraded upon. Drafting Duke would put him and Mason in a 2 HB committee.

I'd recommend watching him. He's REALLY good. He has 1213 yards rushing, 7.7 yards per carry, and 9 rushing TDs this year. He also has 273 receiving yards, 13.0 yards per reception, and 2 receiving TDs.

Johnson is close to break Ottis Anderson's Miami career rushing record. He's already surpassed Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Edgerrin James, etc.

He's a guy that is shifty in the open-field but also will run through tackles and has a devastating stiff arm. He also possesses explosive speed which allows him to run away from defenses when he gets a crease. In addition to that, he was a productive KR as a freshman and sophomore. He returned 2 kicks for TDs as a freshman. They took him off KR this year because he's their best player on offense by far.

Our offense needs more game changing talent.

I'm confused as to how the Cleveland trade goes down. Did I miss something or did you already explain it? What I don't see is where you projected us picking and how we have both the 10th and 22nd pick in the first round as well as getting our 4th and 6th back. Who do you see Cleveland wanting that bad that they ould give up two firsts and their 4th and 6th? That would mean we'd be slotted in the top 5?

They traded for Pick #10.

I like where you are going with most of this though it really looks like you are going mostly developmental and physical talent. It will be interesting to see if Mayle goes that late. I don't know if someone will fall in love with his physical stature. I've seen guys bounce off of him like a bug. But do you think he comes out of his breaks smooth and sharp enough to be a force in the NFL?

At this point? No. But his feet are so quick and light that you take the chance on developing him to see if he can.

I think you could be right on Hundley. He doesn't have a bunch of talent around him so if he is able to make the transition, he will need time. I think it would be cool to see what he could do with a little more talent to throw to.

Interesting that you only have us getting one starter out of the draft. I get it but with that in mind, do you think they instead go LB in the 2nd? I realize these aren't set in stone and can REALLY change as the season unfolds.

I think even if we do go LB(it was something I strongly considered), I like our 4-2-5 look better with Barron playing that role. I don't see us going away from Laurinaitis yet but I wouldn't mind replacing him in 2016.

BTW - do you see any can't miss TEs out there. I think ours are fairly good but just wonder if an upgrade doesn't fit our scheme and Fish's MO.

There isn't one I feel strongly about. Funchess could be a lethal match-up problem at TE but he's the same type of player as Cook with the same sort of attitude. He's immature and pouts when things don't go his way. He's not much of a blocker but he's a freaky athlete with receiving skills(but is far too inconsistent...drops passes...especially when he's pouting).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
It's not bad jrry. Not a fan of Hundley and don't want a HB in the 2nd round really, but you give sound logic to the reasoning at least. The rest of the picks are good.

Not what I'd do but could live with it. Liked the FA moves.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I really like the cut/re-sign list from our own guys, although i'm not sure Kendricks gets much consideration in being brought back. I think he'll get a nice deal elsewhere.

I haven't done any scouting at all(shame on me?) ... ;)
I will say upfront that i don't have a great eye for scouting NCAA QB's and how they transition to the NFL. It's a bit of a crapshoot anyway IMO, but i like Hundley. Winston scares me. I'm hearing shit now about a possible game fix with his cousin or something. Louisville game ...wtf? Idk but he scares me.

I think i have a good eye for RB's and LB's/DE's. I know nothing about Duke Johnson. In today's NFL you've got to keep stocking your backfield every year. 2nd rd is too early though for me and this team.

Overall a level-headed off season/mock draft scenario. Well done.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They traded for Pick #10.
Duh. I see that now.

Interesting on Duke. I'll have to see what I can find on him. I love the idea of adding play makers when we can - no matter where they line up.

Thanks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like the cut/re-sign list from our own guys, although i'm not sure Kendricks gets much consideration in being brought back. I think he'll get a nice deal elsewhere.

I haven't done any scouting at all(shame on me?) ... ;)
I will say upfront that i don't have a great eye for scouting NCAA QB's and how they transition to the NFL. It's a bit of a crapshoot anyway IMO, but i like Hundley. Winston scares me. I'm hearing crap now about a possible game fix with his cousin or something. Louisville game ...wtf? Idk but he scares me.

I think i have a good eye for RB's and LB's/DE's. I know nothing about Duke Johnson. In today's NFL you've got to keep stocking your backfield every year. 2nd rd is too early though for me and this team.

Overall a level-headed off season/mock draft scenario. Well done.

It's nothing. The claim was that he was point shaving with a former high school teammate(and friend) who placed a $5500 bet on Louisville to be winning at half.

There was nothing to it. NCAA isn't even investigating it. ESPN never reported it. The guy who created the rumor is known for being a fraud and a liar. He goes by Incarcerated Bob. Didn't even have evidence. Just claimed the guy(Rabb) made a bet, was friends with Winston, and then created a story based on dot connecting. Regardless, it wasn't credible...ESPN wouldn't even report it...that speaks volumes.

Here's an article about his accuracy in reporting:
http://newyorkstateofsports.com/2012/07/23/incarcerated-bob-better-than-espn-or-a-complete-fraud/

Athos

Legend
Just can't get behind another high RB after the # of RBs we've already taken under Fisher in draft and as UDFAs.

Pead
Stacy
Cunningham
Watts
Mason
Austin (you can add him as a RB as well, though more sparingly)

Especially not a tiny RB. This team needs a big bruiser with a punishing run style to compliment the guys we already have. Not another speedster. Gimme Tevin Coleman in the 2nd instead. If you want a guy like Johnson, you don't need to get him that early. Marcus Murphy from Mizzou can do it all and can be had much later. PR/KR. (Transitioning as a slot WR - though coming along slowly) is a master at the edge runs and has the speed to score from anywhere.

I like the OL the best out of this mock.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like this a lot. I like Hundley in the 20's especially if he does not have to start in year 1. Cann makes a ton of sense and although Im not crazy about a RB pick in round 2, there may not be a bigger Duke Johnson fan than me. As you may imagine, I know a lot about Gallik and think he would be a great fit. I tend to be hard on BC players but I think you have him in the right slot and could start day 1 if needed.

Its probably nit picking but not crazy about Cannon, he is has been horrible in pass protection and pretty average run blocking, he is not half the player he was at TCU. I know its for depth but there could be better options for the same money.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Re_ Corners
Gaines can't cover 1-1 like Janoris, but overall, probably a better football player. I like Janoris in the slot. I don't trust Gaines taking top WR's...not all. SOmetimes JJ could do that.

I like this propositional starting lineup; Give Bradford another year, see what happens. Finally everyone came to reality: Bradford will be on the roster in 2015.

Athos

Legend
Gaines can't cover 1-1 like Janoris, but overall, probably a better football player. I like Janoris in the slot. I don't trust Gaines taking top WR's...not all. SOmetimes JJ could do that.

Why and where's your proof? Gaines shut down premiere WR talent in both the Big 12 and the SEC and did it in the ridiculously dumb secondary scheme of Mizzou where their lack of talent in the backfield was glaringly slim.

And he's a rookie. Not many rookies just go out and shutdown the top WRs who've been in the league a long time. Regardless, Gaines doesn't play like a rookie and is probably our best all round CB right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just can't get behind another high RB after the # of RBs we've already taken under Fisher in draft and as UDFAs.

Pead
Stacy
Cunningham
Watts
Mason
Austin (you can add him as a RB as well, though more sparingly)

Especially not a tiny RB. This team needs a big bruiser with a punishing run style to compliment the guys we already have. Not another speedster. Gimme Tevin Coleman in the 2nd instead. If you want a guy like Johnson, you don't need to get him that early. Marcus Murphy from Mizzou can do it all and can be had much later. PR/KR. (Transitioning as a slot WR - though coming along slowly) is a master at the edge runs and has the speed to score from anywhere.

I like the OL the best out of this mock.

Tevin Coleman isn't a bruiser, he's a one cut zone runner.

You do have to take him early if you want a guy like Johnson. The guy is the same size as Tre Mason and breaks tackles. We already have "bruisers" in Zac Stacy and Bennie Cunningham. I prefer guys that have jets and can take it to the house. It's pretty rare to find bruisers with breakaway speed...and those guys typically go higher than the 2nd round. I don't want bruising plodders. I want a guy that hits the hole quickly and hits it hard.

Marcus Murphy just doesn't approach Duke Johnson as a prospect. Johnson is a guy that you can pair with Mason and have a lethal two headed monster at HB.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this a lot. I like Hundley in the 20's especially if he does not have to start in year 1. Cann makes a ton of sense and although Im not crazy about a RB pick in round 2, there may not be a bigger Duke Johnson fan than me. As you may imagine, I know a lot about Gallik and think he would be a great fit. I tend to be hard on BC players but I think you have him in the right slot and could start day 1 if needed.

Its probably nit picking but not crazy about Cannon, he is has been horrible in pass protection and pretty average run blocking, he is not half the player he was at TCU. I know its for depth but there could be better options for the same money.

Yea, I've been beginning to feel the same. Been looking around to see what other options are out there.

I'd definitely love to hear anything you have on Gallik. I caught onto him recently and turned a couple of games on. Liked what I saw so I threw him on here. Liked him better than Grassu. For whatever reason, Grassu just didn't stand out on film to me. I thought Gallik looked more athletic and more powerful.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd be pleased with this draft if it happened. Mayle is a talented wideout, and A.J. Cann definitely reminds me of Warford. I have no issues with grabbing a center to push Jones, Barnes, and Rhaney, so I like the Gallik pick. Hundley is a good option, even though I think he goes top fifteen. I also love the starting defense going into next year, although I do believe that we need more depth at cornerback.

The only problem I have with your draft is Duke Johnson. While I agree that you need to stockpile talent wherever you can find it, I can't help but think that using a second round pick on a running back when the Rams have Mason, Stacy, Cunningham, Austin, and Watts all taking carries is overkill. I personally would switch Johnson with the best defensive end available, especially since Long and Hayes both turn thirty and since you're cutting Sims. While Westbrooks has been impressive in limited action, he hasn't fully proven himself yet. Plus Odighizuwa has had serious injury problems in the past.