Jrry32 Mock Off-Season #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been going back and forth a lot on the QB position in recent days. As it stands now, this is what I'm thinking.
Restructure
Sam Bradford - 2 years $16 million($13 million guaranteed...Full $8 million first year base and $5 million of the second year base)
Total Cap Savings: $4.9 million
Total Cap Room: $9.4 million

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $30 million

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 5 years $30 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 1 year $4 million
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Shaun Hill - 1 year $2 million
Alex Carrington - 1 year $1.5 million
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Johnny Hekker - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $18.3 million
Total Cap Room: $10.7 million

Free Agency
635498569561027999-MOSLEY-1-.JPG

C.J. Mosley DT
1 year $1.7 million

Rotational DT known for his run stuffing ability to replace Kendall Langford.

Trades
St. Louis trades HB Zac Stacy
New England trades 6th round pick

St. Louis trades Pick #14
Philadelphia trades Pick #26, 2nd, and 4th

We trade Stacy because we have too much talent at HB while New England needs a power HB with Ridley hitting FA. Plus, Vereen is also set to hit FA.

Philadelphia moves up for a pass rusher like Shane Ray or Dante Fowler Jr.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #26 - Todd Gurley HB Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Vy61HobfM

Analysis: I know that some will object to this pick because he's a HB or because of the injury. However, my philosophy has always been to accrue as much talent as possible. I like Tre Mason but he's not Adrian Peterson. We can pair him with another talented HB and should. Like I said about Aaron Donald last year when the argument was that we don't need another DL, an elite talent is an elite talent. You don't pass on a guy like that because you don't need him. We're not desperate anymore. We can make luxury picks. As far as the injury is concerned, it's a risk...yes. But if it hadn't happened, Gurley would go in the top 5-10 picks and was arguably a top 3 talent in this class. I think the juice is worth the squeeze. Here are a few things worth noting...Gurley is 6'1" 230 with 4.4 speed, great hands out of the back-field, and has 3900 yards and 42 TDs from scrimmage in 30 games(mainly against the SEC). A couple other big things...he's averaging 6.4 yards per carry for his career and 38.4 yards per kickoff return. Bennie Cunningham has done a great job on KRs but it certainly doesn't hurt that Gurley has been incredible when returning KOs in college. One final stat...the Rams are 6th in the NFL in rushing attempts per game in the first half...Fisher and Schotty want to run the ball.

Round 2 Pick #14 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkUVV9lv_dg

Analysis: If you think the big boys on the OL are as important as I do, this is a pick that'll knock your socks off. The only reason why Cann slips out of the first round is that he's a pure OG that lacks great athleticism. Cann's doesn't have outstanding feet or lateral movement. However, that does not hinder him because he's so adept at identifying targets on the move, reading the defense, and getting a hat on his man. He's extremely technically sound with the strength and leg drive to move defenders off the LOS and put them on their back. Cann also is one of the best I've seen at maintaining leverage as an OL despite his 6'3"/6'4" size. He shoots off the ball low and gets underneath defenders. When pass blocking, he sits back in his stance comfortably with easy bend at the knees and hips. He's very difficult to move with a bull-rush and is very active and aggressive with his hands. He needs to get quicker off the LOS and has some issues with quick DTs that get skinny when pass blocking. He also needs to keep his head up as he gets a tad over-aggressive as a pass blocker. Still, this guy is a plug and play NFL LG and a great overall prospect. He demolishes people in the running game.

Round 2 Pick #26 - Cameron Erving C/OG/OT Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os95Ie_HqPE

Analysis: If necessary, I'd be willing to trade back up in the mid 2nd to take Erving. I had issues with him at LT this year and last. However, FSU moved him to Center against Miami and he jumped back onto my board. He's an athletic kid with good size at 6'5" 310 but had some issues with his kick-slide and punch timing on the edge. He's not as technically sound as he could be and he's going to need time to develop at Center. However, he's as athletically gifted at they come at the Center position with the versatility to play any spot on the OL and the ability to be as good as he wants to be if coached up well.

Round 3 Pick #14 - Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRVz8xVBxk0

Analysis: Kendricks is a tad undersized at 6'0" 230 but he's an active player with great instincts that flies to the ball. The reasons why he won't go higher are because he's not an elite athlete, is on the smaller side, and isn't an elite coverage LB. He definitely has the ability to be solid in coverage in the NFL but he's not Ogletree. Still, he's a highly intelligent kid that can stop the run and should be able to develop behind Laurinaitis as his heir apparent. Might even beat out Dunbar for the SLB job in the mean time.

Round 4 Pick #14 - Vince Mayle WR Washington State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVbbH8r0-Q

Analysis: Some of you might not like us taking another developmental WR but as I said with the Duke Johnson pick, it's all about collecting talent. Here's the story on Vince Mayle...he played HB in high school but decided to play basketball at the JUCO level instead of football. Returned to football in 2012 at the JUCO level before transferring to WSU before the 2013 season. In 2013, the 6'3" 240 pound Mayle played TE for WSU and caught 7 TDs in his first year out of JUCO. This year, WSU asked him to drop 20 pounds and play WR for them. He did and has responded with 86 catches, 1152 yards, and 9 TDs on the year. Mayle is just starting to come into his own and I want to see what he can develop into. I think like with Quick, Kenny Britt can help teach this big WR how to impose his will on the field physically. Typically, I stay away from players who have had some drop issues like Mayle has this year but I'm willing to take the chance here. I think his athletic upside makes him well worth the pick in the 3rd/4th round. We're talking about a 6'3" 220 pound WR that looks like he glides on the field due to his light, quick feet(basketball) and his impressive top-end speed. I want to remember that THIS GUY was playing TE last year:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11644153

Round 5 Pick #14 - Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA
Analysis:
In case you couldn't tell, I really like Odighizuwa as a late round developmental DE for us. He reminds me a lot of William Hayes. He has a similar build at 6'3" 270 and is known as a guy who will do the dirty work at UCLA. He's underrated in my book because he missed all of 2013 with a hip injury. He's explosive off the line with active, powerful hands and is capable of dipping around the edge or bulling the OT back into the QB's face. He does not have much in terms of pass rush moves but Coach Waufle should be able to help him out with that. He has the physical tools and a motor that runs hot. I think he'll develop into a very good #3 DE for this team given time.

Round 6 Pick #30 - John Feliciano OG/RT Miami
Analysis:
Adding depth on the OL. Feliciano has played both LG and RT during his career at Miami. He's a strong kid with size(6'4" 315) who lacks athleticism and fluidity. Solid backup type because he can generate movement in the run game and handles his man well when he latches on.

Round 7 Pick #14 - Blake Sims QB Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgz6nDp1Cpk

Analysis: Taking a shot on a developmental backup QB here. Sims is still learning the nuances of the QB position as a first year starter and there's no guarantee that he'll ever get them down but he has a NFL caliber arm, throws a good deep ball, has a quick release with the ability to change platforms, and is the same caliber of athlete as Russell Wilson (but clearly not the same caliber of passer). Heck, he might even be faster than Wilson. He's on the short side at 6'0" 210 but with his athleticism, flashes of talent, and overall tools...why not? My big concerns right now are that he doesn't find his checkdowns effectively(locks onto deeper routes), will give away his intentions with his eyes which can lead to picks, short arms throws leading to inaccuracy, doesn't throw accurately on the run(due to mechanics), and he's short which will limit his ability to climb the ladder in the pocket. But it's a 7th rounder. Plus, Sims kind of reminds me of Seneca Wallace.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not my favorite draft.

Why release Eugene Sims? He is a good backup that plays the run and pass well.

Gurley? I could see it from a value point but I don't think they go that route. And why do you think he will be available when the Rams pick?

The rest sounds alright at this point but honestly it is a bit early in he process for me.

FRO

Legend
While I really like Tre Mason and felt he was the best RB in the 2014 class, like you there is no way I pass on Gurley. He is the next Peterson and you just don't pass on talents like that to fill needs. I like your picks, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Bradford basket. I think he should be brought back, because he is our only realistic option for winning next year, however I think I go QB in the second round.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...Rams have to draft a Quarterback in the first round come hell or high water. Can't expect a healthy Bradford even if all the King's Horses and all the King's men can put Bradford back together again!

Besides the New York Giants who will be drafting much earlier will be taking Todd Gurley IMO.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...Rams have to draft a Quarterback in the first round come hell or high water. Can't expect a healthy Bradford even if all the King's Horses and all the King's men can put Bradford back together again!

Besides the New York Giants who will be drafting much earlier will be taking Todd Gurley IMO.
I agree we need to pick a QB in the top 3 rounds, I disagree with the hell or high water in the first round approach. Look back to the 2011 draft where teams took that approach and ended up with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder while Dalton and Kaepernick went in the second. If a quality QB is there to be had, make that move. If not then pass. We didn't need Aaron Donald, but he was the most talented guy to be had when we drafted, so we picked him and now are reaping the reward.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree we need to pick a QB in the top 3 rounds, I disagree with the hell or high water in the first round approach. Look back to the 2011 draft where teams took that approach and ended up with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder while Dalton and Kaepernick went in the second. If a quality QB is there to be had, make that move. If not then pass. We didn't need Aaron Donald, but he was the most talented guy to be had when we drafted, so we picked him and now are reaping the reward.

I concur, but this mock did not have a Quarterback and you're right about it might not be in the first, but IMO there will be a QB worthy of a late first round selection, however, if not, they should not reach, but they either need to make a trade or draft someone early to ensure they have someone other than Bradford in case of....Wait for it, wait for it....Injury!

FRO

Legend
I concur, but this mock did not have a Quarterback and you're right about it might not be in the first, but IMO there will be a QB worthy of a late first round selection, however, if not, they should not reach, but they either need to make a trade or draft someone early to ensure they have someone other than Bradford in case of....Wait for it, wait for it....Injury!
I don't think there will be anybody in the trade market, good QBs rarely get traded. I think we will get a solid QB prospect in the second or third. That's pretty much our only option unless you want to force the issue which never works.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think there will be anybody in the trade market, good QBs rarely get traded. I think we will get a solid QB prospect in the second or third. That's pretty much our only option unless you want to force the issue which never works.

I don't want to force the issue, but IMO, Hundley could be an option later and Connor Cook could decide to reconsider his decision. Much can change between know and then, but I'm hedging my bet that Brett Hundley will close out this season very strong and WOW people with not only his athletic ability, but the fact that from the neck up, he will be the best quarterback on the board.

FRO

Legend
I don't want to force the issue, but IMO, Hundley could be an option later and Connor Cook could decide to reconsider his decision. Much can change between know and then, but I'm hedging my bet that Brett Hundley will close out this season very strong and WOW people with not only his athletic ability, but the fact that from the neck up, he will be the best quarterback on the board.
Hundley will do great in the draft season due to his upside and athletic abilities. Cook is a guy I really like. I tend to value pocket guys. I hope he reconsiders.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cook is a guy I really like. I tend to value pocket guys. I hope he reconsiders.

You & me both my Ram Brother and the fact that he dons 18 gets me even more excited!
2-roman-gabriel-qb_pg_600.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend

To me the Rams are in a no lose situation with Bradford now. If he is smart and redoes his deal the Rams stand to save $4-6M under the cap. With Hill and Davis/draft pick coming back the Rams have good QB depth behind him. If Bradford is dumb and refuses to redo his deal the team can cut him and save $12M under the cap. Using Jrry's numbers by saving, say, $5M redoing Bradfords deal it allows the team to resign Harkey, Hekker, McLeod, Barnes with no impact on the cap. It makes sense for Bradford and the Rams.
There is not going to be much out there in FA for the QB spot. Would I want to make a major investment for a guy like Hoyer? Nope. I would rather take a calculated risk with Bradford backed up by Hill than I would sinking 10s of millions of dollars into a guy like Hoyer.
The cap is projected to go up about $10-11M million this year. The Rams should have plenty of money to spend. For me Stefan Wiz the Raiders C would be my top FA target....although Oakland right now is sitting at about $85M on their cap for next year, so, if they want him back they can overpay. The rest of my FA targets from other teams would be guys like Skuta (spelling) the ILB from SF. A guy who fills a depth roll at MLB and is a special team standout. The Rams IMHO are very close to being a very, very good team. The O line issues need to be fixed (Robinson, Saffold, Barksdale gives a good start) and some depth spots across he board. The one thing I would not want is a rookie QB starting next year. With a D that should be a top 5 D and a balanced O the Rams can win with a vet QB, be it Bradford or Hill.
I would not cut Langford either unless it becomes a needed loss to resign guys like Kendricks and Britt. Valuable guy to the DT rotation.

Any reason why not Mike Glennon? His stats don't suck. His HC isn't a fan and his team sucks so will likely be in a position to draft Winston so may be available. I've only seen him play twice (well one and a half to be exact) and my overwhelming impression was "my god his OL sucks".

FRO

Legend
Any reason why not Mike Glennon? His stats don't suck. His HC isn't a fan and his team sucks so will likely be in a position to draft Winston so may be available. I've only seen him play twice (well one and a half to be exact) and my overwhelming impression was "my god his OL sucks".
I wouldn't mind getting Glennon at all for a mid/late round pick. Then roll with the trio of him Bradford and Hill and see who wins out.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I would not draft a RB coming off knee surgery in the first round, no matter how good he could become. I doubt any team would as well. He very well might slide to the 3rd or 4th round

Athos

Legend
With all the quality backs, Gurley just isn't a prudent 1st round selection. 7-9 month recovery. If I'm the Rams, after Long and Bradford, I'm wary as fuck with that.

I'd give it that full 7-9 month recovery. That means Gurley misses the combine, misses his pro-day, misses OTAs, and likely doesn't participate in pre-season.

I love Gurley, but 1st round still? Not a chance. RBs haven't even gone 1st last 2 drafts. Gordon for sure will go in the first and probably be the only one now.

Your guy Duke Johnson I've read hasn't finished a lot of games this year...but I'd go him in the 2nd before Gurley still in the 1st. If we're talking the 2nd round tho, I defo look into how his progress has been every month leading up to the draft.

Rather have White mid 1st, or Strong late 1st than Gurley 1st. And of course, Gordon over all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would not draft a RB coming off knee surgery in the first round, no matter how good he could become. I doubt any team would as well. He very well might slide to the 3rd or 4th round

Todd Gurley is going in the top 40 picks. There is no chance he falls to the 3rd or 4th round. He didn't blow out his knee entirely. It was just a torn ACL.

And that's fine, that's your choice. But I'm going to take a guy that I think would have been a top 5 talent in this draft without the injury in the late first round.

Unfortunately, it's our best option to win. I don't want to rely on it anymore than you do but Winston and Mariota are gone. I feel like I'm trying to hard to convince myself on Hundley which worries me. And the other QB options in this draft are not good.

You don't draft a QB to draft a QB. That's how you come away with Brandon Weeden, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, etc.

While I really like Tre Mason and felt he was the best RB in the 2014 class, like you there is no way I pass on Gurley. He is the next Peterson and you just don't pass on talents like that to fill needs. I like your picks, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Bradford basket. I think he should be brought back, because he is our only realistic option for winning next year, however I think I go QB in the second round.

Gotta be a QB to take in the 2nd round. In this class, there isn't. After the top 3, there isn't much at the QB position. And I think the top 3 all go in the first. I've been back and forth on Hundley but I feel like I'm forcing the pick because we're desperate for a young QB...and that's a bad move.

The only two QBs that will likely be in play in the 2nd round are Bryce Petty and Dak Prescott. I want nothing to do with Petty and I'm not sold on Prescott right now either. Gotta see more of Prescott.

Not my favorite draft.

Why release Eugene Sims? He is a good backup that plays the run and pass well.

Gurley? I could see it from a value point but I don't think they go that route. And why do you think he will be available when the Rams pick?

The rest sounds alright at this point but honestly it is a bit early in he process for me.

Because Sims is easily replaceable and making more money than he should.

Why will Gurley be available? His injury and HBs being devalued.

With all the quality backs, Gurley just isn't a prudent 1st round selection. 7-9 month recovery. If I'm the Rams, after Long and Bradford, I'm wary as freak with that.

I'd give it that full 7-9 month recovery. That means Gurley misses the combine, misses his pro-day, misses OTAs, and likely doesn't participate in pre-season.

I love Gurley, but 1st round still? Not a chance. RBs haven't even gone 1st last 2 drafts. Gordon for sure will go in the first and probably be the only one now.

Your guy Duke Johnson I've read hasn't finished a lot of games this year...but I'd go him in the 2nd before Gurley still in the 1st. If we're talking the 2nd round tho, I defo look into how his progress has been every month leading up to the draft.

Rather have White mid 1st, or Strong late 1st than Gurley 1st. And of course, Gordon over all.

Gurley is absolutely a prudent first round selection. He was a top 5 talent in this draft before the knee injury. Melvin Gordon is long gone. He's a top 12 pick now. Getting a talent like Todd Gurley in the late first is what great teams do. They capitalize on a risk that drops a top talent down the draft board...kind of like what we did with Robert Quinn.

Again, I think it would be nuts to not draft a guy because you'll have to be patient. Even if he does have to go on the PUP, the Rams aren't a desperate team anymore. We aren't a team in desperate need of starters. We have the ability to give a talent like Gurley time.

As for there not being a chance that a HB could get drafted in the first coming off a major injury...I submit to you Willis McGahee as an example. And he was coming off a far worse injury.

There will be a team out there smart enough to take Gurley in the top 40 picks.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You don't draft a QB to draft a QB. That's how you come away with Brandon Weeden, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, etc.

Gotta be a QB to take in the 2nd round. In this class, there isn't. After the top 3, there isn't much at the QB position. And I think the top 3 all go in the first. I've been back and forth on Hundley but I feel like I'm forcing the pick because we're desperate for a young QB...and that's a bad move.

The only two QBs that will likely be in play in the 2nd round are Bryce Petty and Dak Prescott. I want nothing to do with Petty and I'm not sold on Prescott right now either. Gotta see more of Prescott.

Well, you can't go into next season with the same cast of castoffs so you trade up if you're sold on one of the others. Again I'm not sure if Bradford can even recover, but I do agree with bringing him back and if you don't believe in Hundley then don't draft him, but I do and I know he's not Weeden, Ponder or Gabbert I did not like any of them, Hundley offers far more then the three of them ever did.

I understand especially someone like yourself wants to take the best player and when you reach you get in trouble. But I would rather the Rams trade up to get Mariota or Winston then end up exactly in the same position as they are today!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, you can't go into next season with the same cast of castoffs so you trade up if you're sold on one of the others. Again I'm not sure if Bradford can even recover, but I do agree with bringing him back and if you don't believe in Hundley then don't draft him, but I do and I know he's not Weeden, Ponder or Gabbert I did not like any of them, Hundley offers far more then the three of them ever did.

I understand especially someone like yourself wants to take the best player and when you reach you get in trouble. But I would rather the Rams trade up to get Mariota or Winston then end up exactly in the same position as they are today!

Not always a good trade up option. Not going to mortgage the future for Winston.

Pocket presence is huge to me and Hundley's issues there are very concerning. But even moreso than that is him putting himself above his team.

There's no doubting the tools. But are his issues his fixable and does he have the right sort of attitude?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not always a good trade up option. Not going to mortgage the future for Winston.

Pocket presence is huge to me and Hundley's issues there are very concerning. But even moreso than that is him putting himself above his team.

There's no doubting the tools. But are his issues his fixable and does he have the right sort of attitude?

Funny his interview with Keyshawn Johnson showcased a reserved, articulate and stoic individual, but you cannot judge by one interview. IMO before Hundley UCLA had done nothing, he ranks third in winning percentage to Troy Aikman & Gary Beban. Like I posted the next few games will a long way in deteriming his draft stock, however, IMHO, his attitude trumps both Mariota & Winston!
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11917598