Jrry32 Likely Penultimate Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I say likely because while I hope to get another mock up on the day before the Draft, I can't make any guarantees. Regardless, this is likely my second-to-last mock. As such, I will not trade down from #31 in this mock (because I will in my last one).
Trade
LA Rams trade Round 3 Pick #35
New York Giants trade Round 4 Pick #6 and Round 5 Pick #33

Giants move up a few slots to land their target on Day 2.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #31 - Dalton Risner T/G/C Kansas State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mReLnXRYv3Y

Summary: While I've bristled a bit in the past at drafting an OL here, Risner is the exception because I believe he's a Pro Bowler at ANY position on the OL, including LT. Risner is a highly intelligent OL with off the charts core strength, vice grips for hands, and the length and athleticism to play Left Tackle. It's hard to find weaknesses in his game. He has a couple small technical flaws to correct, including a false step on his kick-slide that limits his range at this point in time, but he's a NFL-ready prospect who can play at a high level as a rookie. I would not be surprised if he won the RG job and pushed Blythe inside to Center to compete with Allen. My comparison for him is David Bakhtiari.

Round 3 Pick #31 - David Long CB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsOp5mR-x0

Summary: While he's on the small side at 5'11" 196, Long blew up at the Combine showing speed, explosiveness, and elite agility. At Michigan, Long barely gave up anything during his career. He's a naturally sticky cover CB who smothers routes from press coverage. However, Michigan had him almost entirely play press coverage during his time there, so there's not a lot of scheme diversity here. Long is very scrappy and physical, but he needs to dial back some of the grabbiness, as the NFL is less forgiving of that than college. All in all, he's a kid who will drive WRs absolutely crazy as a press CB and has the ability to play in the slot or on the boundary. My comparison for him is Desmond Trufant.

Round 4 Pick #6 - Christian Miller OLB Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oj9qcVf5xM

Summer: Christian Miller is an intriguing player because injuries have largely kept him off the field, but when on it, he has shown a very versatile game with a deep toolset. As a pass rusher, Miller has length, bend, and a variety of moves. He doesn't possess the elite get-off that game changers do, but his burst out of the two-point stance is good enough for him to threaten the edge (he's more explosive standing up). His pass rushing ability could take the next step if he gets stronger to develop a better speed-to-power game and better learns how to string multiple moves together. Outside of pass rushing, he has the length to set a strong edge, especially as he gets stronger, and looks fluid and comfortable in coverage. Miller actually has shown the ability to play both ILB and OLB. My comparison for him is Shaun Phillips.

Round 4 Pick #31 - Jaquan Johnson S Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k29vRJz4hMI

Summary: Don't tell Jaquan Johnson that he's small. At 5'10" 191, he is definitely undersized, but that doesn't stop him from being one of the most physical players on the field. Johnson is a versatile safety who can play in deep zone, the box, or over the slot. He's a reliable tackler who will dish out some big hits and a smart player in coverage. He's not a big playmaker in coverage, but he doesn't make many mistakes. Johnson was also a defensive leader and in charge of getting the secondary lined up at Miami. Yes, he's small, but he's also a smart, reliable safety who should contribute on special teams. My comparison for him is Jahleel Addae.

Round 5 Pick #31 - Cortez Broughton DE/DT Cincinnati

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_kzrNN3aU

Analysis: I really hope the Rams draft Cortez Broughton. I could see him playing anywhere on our DL, including DT, despite only being 6'2" 296. Broughton is explosive off the ball with the ability to get skinny through gaps, which makes him disruptive. However, he also has an underrated anchor and uses his natural leverage well. He holds up against the run, even double teams, much better than you'd expect. He's a guy who showed the ability to get wins with speed, quickness, or power. Broughton needs to develop counter moves when his initial rush plan is thwarted, but his potential is sky high. My comparison for him is Jurrell Casey. Yes, I think this kid can be special.

Round 5 Pick #33 - Armon Watts DE/DT Arkansas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcTDr83WTA

Summary: Armon Watts is an intriguing developmental day three pick for me. He broke out this year as a senior and really had a strong year. However, he's still quite raw. It's the flashes of ability that really caught my eye and make me think he's worth developing as a 5-Tech for our defense. Watts flashes the length, power, and anchor to dominate one-on-one matchups in the running game. As a pass rusher, he flashes a nasty punch with the hand usage and power to overwhelm opponents and enough speed and quickness to take advantage if not given enough respect. Nevertheless, the tools are there, but the consistency and instincts aren't at this point in time. My comparison for Watts is Lawrence Guy.

Round 6 Pick #31 - Stanley Morgan Jr. WR Nebraska

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDddvbWvU

Summary: Stanley Morgan Jr. seems tailor made for Sean McVay's offense. While Morgan Jr. isn't a burner, he has enough speed to get over the top if a team doesn't respect it. Where Morgan Jr. shines is in his attention to detail, route running, and blocking. He does all of the little things well. He's a smart, polished player who is going to bring it every snap. While he doesn't possess explosive separation capabilities, he's a savvy route runner who will fit well in a timing-based offense that lets him attack the intermediate range. Basically, Morgan Jr. is a poorer man's version of Robert Woods.

Round 7 Pick #37 - Elijah Holyfield HB Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1uJO7u9kY

Analysis: I've really struggled with Holyfield. Before his disastrous Combine, I saw him as a 3rd or 4th round pick. However, all of the analytics say to steer clear of him. Regardless, I am the type to trust my gut. My gut says that Holyfield is a really good football player. At 5'10" 215, he's a thickly built, violent runner with a nasty stiff arm. Don't let his size fool you, though. Holyfield has very light and quick feet, which make him a much shiftier runner than he should be. His instincts (vision/patience) and technical skill are outstanding. The big question marks are in the passing game. He has all the tools to be a great pass protector, but he's still learning. Nevertheless, he barely was used as a pass-catcher, so it's uncertain if he has any ability there. My comparison for him is Alfred Morris.

Priority Undrafted Free Agents
James Williams HB Washington State - James Williams was a highly effective scatback in Mike Leach's offense. He's shifty in space with a great pair of mitts, but he has major question marks as a runner and hasn't shown enough in pass protection.

Khalil Hodge ILB Buffalo - Hodge's instincts and play recognition skills are the best I've seen in this draft. He's a heady player with off-the-charts intangibles. However, he's a terrible athlete with major coverage limitations.

Easton Stick QB North Dakota State - I love Stick's intangibles, athleticism, and mental processing ability. He's very elusive in the pocket with a good feel for pressure. Nevertheless, he has a very average arm and is short for a NFL QB at 6'1".

Tommy Sweeney TE Boston College - Sweeney is a quality inline blocker at TE with a reliable pair of mitts. He's also a heady player who knows how to find soft spots in zone coverage. Nonetheless, Sweeney is an underwhelming athlete who will struggle to separate against M2M coverage in the NFL.

Derrick Baity CB Kentucky - Baity is an intriguing press CB project. He flashes a patient approach in press coverage with good quickness for his size and a lot of height. Problem with him is that he lacks great speed, has short arms for his size, and has inconsistent ball-skills on tape.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joe Noteboom
C: Brian Allen or Austin Blythe
RG: Dalton Risner
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: John Franklin-Myers
NT: Michael Brockers
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Dante Fowler Jr.
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Micah Kiser
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Eric Weddle
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW, I planned to have Bryce Love in this mock, but the recent reports about his knee scared me away.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only are you burning the midnight oil like myself here but you also went into UDFAs? Maaaaan. Shoulda called this the Easter Mock lol.

Love the start, getting an OL talent and sticky cover option. I don't like the idea of Brock playing nose but if that's the draft I can get behind it for sure. Nice job as always my man. (y)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nice mock. I prefer the other Miami safety over Johnson (Redwine), but I'd be happy with Johnson.

Overall, I think I'd be more than happy with this mock.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, let me post first that I would love the safety combination of Johnson & Johnson that would be fun for me, plus I'm a fan of Jaquan Johnson, who walks softly, but carries a big stick! As to the rest, this would please me because it covers all the needs and provides some excellent depth.

1. Risner...Is who I like most on the offensive line and IMO, would be the starting RG immediately, pushing Blythe back to Center against Brian Allen. In fact, with Risner & Havenstein the Rams would be running right more often then left.
  2. David Long, great in press coverage and watching him for years sticking with Big Ten WR's, he's relentless and would bring the right attitude to the secondary.
  3. Christian Miller, if healthy would be a steal. Miller has great hips (loose) which enables him to pivot around the edge and has the fluidity to drop back into coverage to cover backs out of the backfield.
  4. Cortez Broughton...I have posted in a prior mock about how much I like Broughton as he's able to rush the passer very well with many moves like the push/pulls, hump moves & arm over plus his lower body strength is outstanding, giving him the ability to create havoc in the backfield.
  5. Armon Watts from St. Louis, MO., would add versatility to the defensive line because he can play anywhere on it and new DL Coach Eric Henderson could continue the growth of this young man moving forward.
I concur about Stanley Morgan, Jr., being a good fit for McVay's offense and his blocking is one of his greatest assets plus no fear going across the middle and he does not drop the ball, loved the way he brought it on every snap plus Morgan his some Wiggle, which enables him to elude the initial tackle.

As to Elijah Esaias Holyfield, he just plays better then he practices or his 40 time because he has great feet and strength 26 reps bench press, IMO, the Rams looking for more of a change of pace back, but Holyfield showed up in big games for the Dawgs.

FWIW big fan of Tommy Sweeney and if the Rams sign him as an UDRFA, he would be on my must see list...Amazing blocker that can block anyone and will move his guy back on the bus, IMO, would be a great 3rd TE for new TE Coach Wes Phillips.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’ll comment on the Risner pick as he looks like a perfect fit on this team. Flexibility, toughness, smart, and can move a little.

I really like him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So I'm thinking you might have liked my picks for the Jaguars in ROD's Mock Draft?

The Jacksonville Jaguars 2019 Draft

1-7 Montez Sweat, EDGE, Miss St.
2-38 Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas St.
3-69 Riley Ridley, WR, UGA
3-98 Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford
4-109 Jaquan Johnson, S, Miami
6-178 Nate Herbig, OG, Stanford
7-236 Stanley Morgan Jr., WR, Nebraska

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There's no tape on Risner @ LT but still the more you observe him he does appear to have all the skills & talent to play that post in an emergency. Another reason that I have move fast in his direction the last few weeks is the fact his insertion into starting RG....makes the right side very strong for many years here in LA. Rams offense will have to learn to run right again.

Riser sure looks like he could move right a few feet & fill in @ RT & excell if there was a reason too. He certainly would replace our 296 pound starter on that strong side & add some more size to this OL. If an issue were to happen @ LT that required Noteboom to move then his skills would work fine @ LG.

The movement of Blythe to game day top reserve is also a plus. Blythe having been a starter & previously line up in regular season & played RT/LG/OC(Colts) & RG for the Rams....brilliant position for Kromer to be in. McVay has also been mentioning OL/OG Jamil Demby as of late saying Demby could contribute in year two. Thus the Rams may be in better condition that thought.

Risner could be the one OL'er who beefs up an entire 2019 OL just with his lone selection.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fact, with Risner & Havenstein the Rams would be running right more often then left.

Yeah him next to Havenstein would seem like a combo that teams would struggle with. I know the Rams love the way Blythe came in and stabilized things particularly in pass pro over Brown, but he's got FA coming and Risner would put his @$$ on the bench.

It's really gonna pi$$ me off when the Vikes or Stains take him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice mock. I prefer the other Miami safety over Johnson (Redwine), but I'd be happy with Johnson.

Overall, I think I'd be more than happy with this mock.

I like Johnson more. Redwine tested better and fits the NFL parameters better, but Johnson is the better football player on tape and was the leader in that secondary imo.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
As a Miami fan, I love Johnson. Redwine is definitely more athletic, but has nowhere near the playmaking ability and intangibles Johnson has. Johnson is always in the right spot, always made big open field tackles, and always seemed to make the big play when needed. He is undersized but that wouldn’t deter me one bit.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I kinda like this mock. The strength of the draft is DL / DE, but we don't necessarily have to draft someone there, and one of the best OGs in the draft may have more of an impact than we think. You also address the secondary, a weak spot when Talib went down. Long has a lot of potential to play CB2 if MP gets hurt again (imagine Long opposite Talib... I think he'd be capable of filling in for MP nicely).
Broughton looks like a real nice pick up -- I liked his push, and the plays shown on tape show a lot of effort and technique. He shed blocks nicely when he needed to get off them to make a play, something it seemed we had problems with last season. Broughton could plug up the middle or one side, or rush nicely if needed. Great competition for JFM.
Thanks again @jrry32 , these mocks really help me get thru the slow times.

Ram65

Legend
That interview with Jake of Downtown Rams really helped me think more of Risner as a Rams possibility. He is all about football which is what the Rams want. He can play anywhere. Still like NT Lawrence but, I would take Risner. Seems like a good draft hitting some future needs.

TexasRam

Legend
Yes sir.

I'm all about the early lineman followed by CB/DT/LB.

The Saffold and Whitworth Replacements need to be of highest priority. Even with Big Whit coming back this year.

I am a huge fan of Kromer but you need the Horses to execute the plan.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love seeing JFM get some respect .I really wanna see him get starters minutes next year . Big Risner fan too. Rams roster is good enough that depth and developmental guys are the goal .I think you covered it well .

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just watched a piece on Dalton Risner on the NFL channel about his foundation “risnerup”
https://risnerup.com/team/ and I’m sold on him at 31 if he’s there. This gentlemen is a true inspiration at 23 years of age, and his tape isn’t bad either.