Jrry32 First Mock Draft of April

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been a little busy of late, so I haven't been able to put out a mock. Here's a scenario that has been on my mind of late.
Trade
LA Rams trade Round 1 Pick #31
Cleveland Browns trade Round 2 Pick #17 and Round 3 Pick #16

LA Rams trade Round 3 Pick #16 and Round 3 Pick #36
Buffalo Bills trade Round 3 Pick #10 and Round 4 Pick #10

The Browns are rumored to be interested in moving up. As one of the last picks in the first round, there should be plenty of interest due to the fifth-year option. We move up with the Bills to ensure we land a guy who has fallen further than he should.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #17 - Jachai Polite OLB Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwzoommDlk

Summary: Polite's stock has taken a huge hit during the draft process, but he's one of the top 20 talents in this draft and can rush the passer like few can. He needs to find the right weight for his frame and mature a bit, but he's an extraordinarily gifted edge rusher who plays hard on the field. I'd compare him to DeMarcus Lawrence of the Cowboys, who also had some concerns about his maturity coming out.

Round 3 Pick #10 - Taylor Rapp S Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QrWBhFuR9w

Summary: Rapp is seeing his draft stock fall after running a 40 in the 4.7s at his Pro Day. That doesn't dissuade me at all. Rapp is as technically sound, intelligent, and reliable as they come with the ability to slide down into the slot and cover slot WRs due to his quickness and physicality. We're landing an outstanding all-around player here. I'd compare him to Lawyer Milloy.

Round 3 Pick #31 - Kahale Warring TE San Diego State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1w58hAQsPo

Summer: If it's not clear at this point, I want the Rams to draft Kahale Warring. He's a phenomenal athlete with the ability to be a major mismatch in the passing game. I'm blown away by his movement skills and body control. He also has the ability to be a quality inline blocker. Basically, he's the perfect Higbee replacement. My comparison for him is Zach Ertz.

Round 4 Pick #10 - Michael Jordan OG/C Ohio State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecrhQGS8mY

Summary: Jordan's interior versatility will be appealing to the Rams, and Kromer will love his frame and power. Jordan still has some technical inconsistencies to iron out (especially at Center), but he has the power, anchor, and punch to be a quality starter at both LG and Center with some development.

Round 4 Pick #31 - Chuma Edoga OT/OG Southern Cal

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZOT0-UPyc

Analysis: For my money, Edoga is the most underrated OL in this Draft. He has major technical issues to solve as a pass protector (punching timing and placement are poor, leans into blocks, etc.) and needs to get stronger, but Edoga has starting LT feet and length with tremendous body control and agility. On top of that, he's a highly effective run blocker. With some development, he could start at any position on the line, outside of Center.

Round 5 Pick #31 - Cortez Broughton DT Cincinnati

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_kzrNN3aU

Summary: If it's not clear at this point, Broughton is another player I'd really like us to draft. He had a very productive senior year and has the explosive first step to be a very disruptive DT. On top of that, he has the strength and anchor to hold up as a run defender and has had success rushing from both the interior and DE spots. I think he has massive potential as a Day 3 pick.

Round 6 Pick #31 - Cameron Smith ILB Southern Cal

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CunFfKYhZc

Summary: Smith is the type of LB who does everything well but isn't special at any one thing. He's a solid, reliable player with above average athleticism who should contribute on special teams and could develop into a solid all-around starter.

Round 7 Pick #37 - Easton Stick QB North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUeQISffYCc

Analysis: I am a big fan of Easton Stick. He's a great athlete who is very elusive in the pocket and checks off all the intangibles. His arm is middling, but he's a smart kid who operates well in a run-first play-action heavy offense. It doesn't hurt that he has the best play-action fake in the Draft. I see him as a kid worth developing behind Goff and Bortles.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joe Noteboom
C: Brian Allen
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: John Franklin-Myers
NT: Michael Brockers
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Dante Fowler Jr.
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Micah Kiser
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Eric Weddle
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I can definitely live with this draft. Awesome job, once again. :D

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I like this draft a lot. One question for you, are there any CBs you really like in Rapp’s draft spot? Or is this something you see the Rams addressing nest offseason? I know they are ok for this coming up season, but I guess I’m thinking about starters for 2021. Peters could potentially become a FA after this year, and Talib will be another year older.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like this draft a lot. One question for you, are there any CBs you really like in Rapp’s draft spot? Or is this something you see the Rams addressing nest offseason? I know they are ok for this coming up season, but I guess I’m thinking about starters for 2021. Peters could potentially become a FA after this year, and Talib will be another year older.

David Long and Julian Love

I wouldn't be surprised if they go CB on Day 3. I considered it in the 4th (Jimmy Moreland), but I went with Chuma Edoga instead.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like the players and the trades but I may be alone in the thought that CB is one of our biggest needs. We saw how the defense played with Talib out. He's also getting older and Peters is on his last year even though talk is they'll extend him. With nothing behind those two capable my mock I'll do likely later today will have CB addressed I just don't want a repeat of what happened last year with Talib out.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love it but I would guess Warring will be gone. Not a huge stretch for him to be there with this being a deep TE draft though.

Cool thing about this draft is that our only off-season need next year would be CB which we should have money for in FA.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excellent draft as usual Counselor and I was going to inquire about CB, but @Petrowsky already inquired and you responded..

I have watched every game that Michael Jordan has played as he started at LT and then moved to center, but I believe he's a guard and guard only. At LT, he was susceptible to getting beat consistently off the edge and at Center, his snaps were so inconsistent and in many cases was lucky J.T. Barrett had good hands. This year was better, but still an issue and Jordan being 6'6 IMO just too tall for center as he lost leverage at the point of attack far too often for my liking...Jordan's future is at guard and IMO, could be a stellar LG under Aaron Kromer.

Love the value of Broughton & Smith, Broughton is a player and the type of guy that drives you crazy in a game because he's so disruptive. As to Cameron Smith his play speed is must faster than his time speed, he is rarely fooled by the counter trey and his biggest asset is his ability to tackle, as he is unfazed by fakes or jukes.

The trades are realistic and I like the top of the draft because I believe Polite really wants to be a Ram and Rapp seems like the perfect all around Safety that Wade can move around in his scheme. Shocked by no running back as I do believe the Rams will draft one this year and now with the signing of John Wolford, not so sure the Rams draft a QB, although I know you love Easton Stick, so with that I believe David Montgomery in round three is a viable option.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Like the players and the trades but I may be alone in the thought that CB is one of our biggest needs. We saw how the defense played with Talib out. He's also getting older and Peters is on his last year even though talk is they'll extend him. With nothing behind those two capable my mock I'll do likely later today will have CB addressed I just don't want a repeat of what happened last year with Talib out.
I really would like to see a CB drafted this year. It would be nice for depth purposes this season, and he would be a potential starter for 2020. Plus, I like the idea of that CB getting some playing time while learning from Talib and Peters. That would make me feel better about that player going in to the ‘20 season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The value was never right for a CB. There are some CBs in this class that I like, but I don't feel that this is a great CB class. And the CBs I like just aren't in the right spots for us anymore (unfortunately, Bunting and Long went from Day 3 picks to Day 2 picks after the Combine).

TexasRam

Legend
Your slippin Jrry!

Find us another Donald or Kupp, not another Tavon.

Not sold on this Polite guy who showed
up out of shape and questionable in interviews at the pre draft workouts.

Try harder my friend.

:)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your slippin Jrry!

Try harder my friend.

You'll have to trust me on Polite. This is a stacked pass rush class, and we lucked into a guy who has one of the highest ceilings in the class. This is a top 15 or 20 talent falling because he made mistakes during the predraft process. At UF, when the Gators needed help inside, Polite bulked up to 260+ and played DT. When they moved to a Phillips 3-4, Polite dropped to 240ish and played OLB. This is a kid who chased John Kelly 30+ yards down the field to make a tackle.

You can knock him for a lack of maturity. You can knock him for the weight issues. Personally, I think the weight issues were a miscalculation. He wanted to try and sell himself to 4-3 teams, so he added too much weight. I imagine he'll play in the NFL in the 245 to 254 pound range. That's too small for a 4-3 DE, but it's perfect for our scheme. However, I never question if this kid will play his heart out on the field for us. He gave 110% on every snap he played at Florida.

On top of the effort, he's a naturally gifted kid who has amazing pass rush potential. He has 10+ sack per year ability. And he's not just an athlete running around people. Yes, Polite has the burst, explosion, and bend to win the corner, but he also has an intelligent approach to pass rushing, legitimate counter moves, and uses his hands well. Against the run, while he lacked the sand in his pants due to his low weight in 2018, he made up for that with a strong understanding of how to attack blocking schemes, explosiveness to chase plays down from the back side in pursuit, and loads of effort.

You say you want another Donald or Kupp. Well, this is that sort of talent. Donald was too small. Kupp was too slow. Polite fucked up the predraft process. All three guys are far more talented than where they were/will be drafted. We are also the perfect situation for him. Wade is the sort of DC who thrives with those guys, and Polite won't be forced into a starting role before he's ready. We can use him as a rotational edge rusher, and that will be a huge gain for us. He's the sort of talent who could put up 8 to 12 sacks as a rookie rotating on passing downs, especially with Donald rushing from the inside. And I'm sure he could learn a lot from a guy like Clay Matthews.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Your slippin Jrry!

Try harder my friend.

One edge rusher for the Rams in every round of the 2019 NFL draft

By: Cameron DaSilva | April 12, 2019 12:59 pm ET

Round 3: Jachai Polite, Florida
usatsi_11303060.jpg

Bryan Lynn-USA TODAY Sports

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/12/nfl-draft-rams-edge-rusher-outside-linebacker/3/

Polite is tumbling down draft boards and is in danger of falling out of Day 2 entirely. The Rams, who he said were his best interview at the combine, could end his slide with the 94th or 99th overall picks. His college tape is very good and the production is there, but his athleticism and motivation have come into question.

His combine performance was disastrous and he didn’t improve at his pro day, running an official 5.04 40-yard dash. Some of that could be attributed to a lingering hamstring injury, but he admitted he made mistakes and wasn’t ready for the combine mentally.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Honestly I think Polite's tape shows so much more than most of the OLB's I've seen yet. He'd be a great addition at that pick. I know, we already have committed to Fowler, Ebu, Obo, and the late round guys from last year but you gotta go with the BPA with our 1st pick & it honestly looks to be him. @jrry32 your explanations for his poor combine performance seem plausible, considering what I saw on tape.
I think a DL with Fowler, AD99, Brock, JFM, and Ebu/Obo/Polite would be very nice indeed, backed by Littleton / CM. With no idea in what we have in Obo, drafting Polite at a high value position would be good insurance. In fact I like Polite's tape much more than Obo's. I don't know what his interview process was, maybe he was frustrated at no one looking beyond his combine & giving consideration to his 4-3 bulk mistake? I think Wade would love a guy like this.