Jrry32 Deshaun Watson Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I try to limit myself to one mock per week, but I'm going to do two this week because this is a bit of a special one. I don't plan to do another mock with us making a QB trade, but I figured it would be interesting to offer a scenario of how we could try to make this work.
Departing Free Agents
OLB Leonard Floyd
SS John Johnson III
CB Troy Hill
OL Austin Blythe
HB Malcolm Brown
TE Gerald Everett
WR Josh Reynolds
DL Morgan Fox
OLB Samson Ebukam

Resignings
LS Jake McQuaide
CB Darious Williams
ILB Travin Howard
OL Coleman Shelton
TE Johnny Mundt

Trades
Rams trade QB Jared Goff and LT Joseph Noteboom
Colts trade Round 1 Pick #21 and Round 5 Pick #21

The Colts need a QB with Rivers retiring. They consider Matt Stafford, but San Francisco outbids them. We discuss Goff with them while engaging with the Texans on Watson. Ultimately, Indianapolis opts to acquire Goff and Noteboom, who steps in at LT for the retiring Anthony Castonzo. This gives us the first we need to complete the Watson trade. The Colts have a buttload of cap room to use to upgrade their weapons, a stout OL, and a system that fit Philip Rivers well (who has a similar style to Jared Goff).

Rams trade Round 1 Pick #21, Round 2 Pick #25, 2022 Round 1 Pick, 2023 Round 1 Pick, and a 2024 Conditional Pick
Texans trade QB Deshaun Watson

The 2024 conditional pick starts as a 4th round pick. If Watson makes a Pro Bowl with the Rams before that pick, it becomes a 3rd. If Watson is named a First Team All Pro or wins the NFL MVP with the Rams before that pick, it becomes a 2nd. If the Rams win the Super Bowl in 2021, 2022, or 2023, it becomes a 1st. Instead of asking for Goff in lieu of some draft pick compensation from us, the Texans trade a mid-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo. This deal only happens because the Jets prefer to draft Zach Wilson at #2 and Watson prefers the Rams to the Dolphins (along with the Texans not liking the optics of the Dolphins deal and not wanting Tua).

Rams trade WR Robert Woods
Jaguars trade Round 2 Pick #13 and Round 4 Pick #25

Yes, this one pains me too, but we need to recoup some draft compensation. The Jaguars could use a reliable route runner and possession WR for Trevor Lawrence and a locker room leader. We all know how phenomenal Bobby is. But we need to add some speed outside for Watson. Trading Woods saves us more cap room than trading Kupp does, plus Kupp is the younger player.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #24 and Round 3 Pick #39
Eagles trade Round 3 Pick #5

We trade up for a player I really like. With the cap challenges the Eagles are having, they're willing to trade down, as they need more low-cost talent.

Free Agency
A9C6DB6E-4258-4B62-B166-89B23CFA6C01.jpeg

Tyrell Williams WR

Williams is almost certainly going to be cut by the Raiders after missing the 2020 season with a shoulder injury and not living up to the #1 WR money they paid him in 2019. At 6'4" 205, he's a speedy threat with the long strides and big body to give Watson the big-play WR he needs. He'll provide a nice contrast to Van and Cooper. He also won't cost us a comp pick. With all the first round picks we're going to be missing, we're going to need comp picks.

Graham_Cowboys.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.png

Brandon Graham EDGE

The Eagles designate Graham a post-June 1st cut, and he signs on with us in FA in hopes of winning another Super Bowl. We get him on an affordable one year deal. Because he was cut, he doesn't cost us a comp pick. Despite his age, Graham is still an effective player on the edge and should contribute as part of our EDGE rotation.

1277070650.jpg.0.jpg

DeSean Jackson WR

We sign another player released by the Eagles (again, doesn't cost us a comp pick). Jackson signs a one year deal for basically the NFL minimum. He's from Los Angeles, wants to play for a winner and with Deshaun Watson, and is coming off back to back injury-riddled seasons. We figure that it can't hurt to have another WR capable of taking the top off a defense, even if DeSean likely won't stay healthy all year.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #13 - Alex Leatherwood OT/OG Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQQgJZtsPE

Analysis: At 6'5" 315 pounds, Leatherwood can play any position on the OL outside of Center. He offers legitimate tackle/guard versatility. He has the potential to be Whitworth's replacement and the potential to be a rookie who could start at OG and provide quality play. Leatherwood is a good but not great athlete at OT who is extremely technically proficient and possesses very good power. He has the ability to generate movement in the running game and the athleticism to make blocks on the second level and in space. In pass protection, he's difficult to beat because of his consistent technique, well-timed punches, and good anchor. To the extent he can improve there, he sometimes leans into his punches, which leaves him open to being pulled off balance or swam over. As a run blocker, he's a good positional blocker with the power to generate some movement. I wish he had more of a mean streak, though. Ultimately, Leatherwood is a polished OL prospect who lacks dominant traits but is a good all-around player.

Round 3 Pick #5 - Pete Werner LB Ohio State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBS-HgXFwz0

Analysis: Werner is one of my favorite players in this Draft. He reminds me a lot of Chad Greenway and Sean Lee. He's a bigger LB at 6'3" 240 and certainly plays to his size. He's a physical run defender who can blow up blockers, fill running lanes, and shed blocks. But he's a sneaky good athlete. You might miss it the first time you watch him because he's such a disciplined and sound player, but when he needs to run, he can run. He's not a 4.4 guy, but I think he has the speed to be a good NFL LB. In coverage, he has limitations against twitchier players because of his height and the stiffness in his hips. But he has the size and athleticism to handle TEs. More importantly for us, he's an outstanding zone defender. Heady, disciplined, and aware. I think he's a 3-down player who has the potential to be a Pro Bowl LB.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Tommy Tremble TE/FB Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-WtcFDNZE

Analysis: I know I'm not the only one tired of seeing the blocking set up perfectly for a long run only to watch Mundt or Everett get blown off the ball into the hole. Tremble isn't the most technically sound guy yet, but he's strong, violent, and physical. He's a guy who can be put in the backfield as a FB and blow open holes. He can also be brought across the formation as a lead blocker. And you can line him up on the LOS and let him loose on LBs and edge defenders. He's the sort of guy who doesn't just make a block. He looks to bury his opponent. As he becomes a more technically refined blocker, I could see him becoming one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL. I haven't even mentioned him as a pass catcher. At this stage, he's raw, but he's actually a very impressive athlete who has passing game potential too. The production wasn't there in college (he was used mostly as a blocker), but there's certainly potential for him to be a net positive as a receiver too.

Round 4 Pick #25 - Chris Rumph II SLB Duke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJSWt8KC9s

Analysis: Rumph's father is currently the Texans' OLB Coach and previously was DL Coach at programs like Alabama, Florida, and Texas. Unsurprisingly, Rumph is a technically proficient player who possesses great football IQ and instincts. Duke has used him as both an off-the-ball LB and an edge rusher. At 6'3" 235, he seems small to play on the edge in the NFL, but I think he can do it. If he was bigger and stronger, he'd be a first round pick. Great burst off the ball, can flatten around the corner, quick-twitch athleticism, and a diverse set of pass rush moves. Kid has the athleticism, instincts, and zone cover skills to play ILB and the pass rush ability to play OLB. Long term, I think he can be an impactful 3-4 SOLB. Boston College has an OL with multiple future NFL players on it, and he gave them the business.

Round 4 Pick #37 - Drake Jackson OL Kentucky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHA9j1Q46fo

Analysis: Jackson leaves Kentucky as a four-year starter at Center in the SEC. At 6'2" 290 pounds, he's a smaller guy and has short arms. And yes, I know some of y'all will respond saying you don't want a small Center. All I can tell you is to watch a few of his games. This is a guy who competed against SEC competition, players from schools like Alabama and Georgia. He didn't just hold his own. He consistently beat the guy across from him. He's unbelievably quick out of his stance. It's noticeable because of how much faster off the ball he is than his teammates (which isn't a knock on them). His hands are also remarkably quick. As a shorter guy, he has a leverage advantage and consistently wins that battle, which makes him stout in pass protection. He's smart, he's technically refined, he blocks well in space and on the second level, he has a great understanding of angles, and he is hard to beat once he gets his hands on you. Yes, he's small, but he's really freaking good at football. He impressed a lot of people at the Senior Bowl in practice today, despite his underwhelming measurements. I'd much rather have him backing up Corbett than Brian Allen.

Round 5 Pick #21 - Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAchL9mkLyQ

Analysis: Let's just say that Mond is a work in progress despite being a four-year starter at Texas A&M. He is coming out of Jimbo Fisher's pro-style offense, so he should have a better grasp of the mental game than your average QB. At 6'2" 205, Mond is a very good athlete who has the ability to create with his legs and possesses good arm strength. He has made NFL-style reads and throws a NFL-style route tree. What is the problem with him? He's frustratingly inconsistent, one of the streakiest QB prospects I've seen. The talent is there in droves. He can make just about any throw. He is a legitimate threat with his legs. He can be very accurate and read the field well. And then suddenly, he can't hit the broad side of a barn and stops seeing the field. As a backup, he's a pretty good option. Can pick up yardage with his legs and do some damage when he's playing well. But if he's ever going to be a starting-caliber QB, he has to figure out what causes him to have stretches where he looks so bad. I'll also say that if Davis Mills is available here, I'd take him over Mond, but I think he goes higher in the Draft.

Round 6 Pick #25 - Shawn Davis DB Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBHKAn8bgSI

Analysis: Davis is a gifted athlete at safety who can play split, single-high, or come into the box and cover the slot. He's a tad undersized at 5'10" 199, which has led to some durability issues due to his physical play. He also needs to learn to tackle better, as he tends to go for the big hit over the wrap-up tackle. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for Davis, he was misused by Florida's incompetent defensive coordinator. Had he played in a better scheme and received better coaching, he might have gone in the third or fourth round. This is a kid who will bring energy, athleticism, and hitting power to special teams. But he also has the potential to be a starting safety in the NFL.

Round 7 Pick #25 - Blake Proehl WR/PR East Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7XjArGfiFc

Analysis: The name should sound familiar to all of us Rams fans. He's one of Ricky Proehl's sons. Ricky, a former NFL WR Coach (a highly respected one at that), has clearly done a lot to coach Blake. At 6'1" 186 pounds, Blake has a thin frame, but he also possesses great quickness/twitch, solid speed, and outstanding hands. ECU, for some odd reason, decided to play him outside this year. I think Blake can be a lethal slot WR in the NFL. His quickness, hands, and intelligence should play quite well inside. Additionally, he's a guy who offers a lot of special teams value and should be a reliable punt returner for us. I think we'll quite enjoy developing him and Nixon behind Kupp, Woods, and Jefferson.

Projected Starters
QB: Deshaun Watson
HB: Cam Akers
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Van Jefferson
WR: Tyrell Williams
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Alex Leatherwood
C: Austin Corbett
RG: David Edwards
RT: Rob Havenstein

DE: Michael Brockers
NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day
DE: Aaron Donald
OLB: Terrell Lewis
ILB: Micah Kiser vs. Travin Howard vs. Kenny Young vs. Troy Reeder
ILB: Pete Werner
OLB: Justin Hollins
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Darious Williams
CB: David Long Jr. vs. Terrell Burgess
FS: Jordan Fuller
SS: Terrell Burgess vs. Taylor Rapp

K: Matt Gay
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Raymond Calais
PR: Blake Proehl

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hard not to like Deshaun Watson coming to Los Angeles and interesting that you have Austin Corbett at center considering that experiment went awry in Cleveland. Sad to lose woods, but DeSean Jackson is a player McVay raved about in Washington, hopefully, the Rams would be able to keep him healthy.

Alex Leatherwood is an instant upgrade & Pete Werner is always in the right place...Again Watson in Los Angeles will have all of us jumping for joy, however, that would mean they would not draft a first round pick until 2025, making it 9 years without a selection in the first round and they ran George Allen out of town for thinking such a thing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huge fan of this offseason, even without the Watson trade. I have no issues with it.

TexasRam

Legend
Really solid at all levels.

Addresses all the needs and gives Watson WR’s that match what he does well.

The blocking TE early, I am a big fan of and truly believe it is a critical area getting overlooked.

Mot sure why move Edwards to right side and also I would pencil Graham in as a starter.

But yea that is an offseason I think all of us would be chomping at the bit for assuming it fits within the cap.

why is everyone mocking Fox as leaving? Do we really think his market is that good?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard not to like Deshaun Watson coming to Los Angeles and interesting that you have Austin Corbett at center considering that experiment went awry in Cleveland. Sad to lose woods, but DeSean Jackson is a player McVay raved about in Washington, hopefully, the Rams would be able to keep him healthy.

Alex Leatherwood is an instant upgrade & Pete Werner is always in the right place...Again Watson in Los Angeles will have all of us jumping for joy, however, that would mean they would not draft a first round pick until 2025, making it 9 years without a selection in the first round and they ran George Allen out of town for thinking such a thing.

Well, the Browns didn't see fit to start Corbett anywhere. But it's hard to blame them at Center. Tretter is a top 5 Center in the NFL. Corbett had a strong Senior Bowl week and played some Center there. He has the skillset to play it well. You're right about the first round picks, but if we don't have one until 2025, the good news is that we won a Super Bowl. ;)

Really solid at all levels.

Addresses all the needs and gives Watson WR’s that match what he does well.

The blocking TE early, I am a big fan of and truly believe it is a critical area getting overlooked.

Mot sure why move Edwards to right side and also I would pencil Graham in as a starter.

But yea that is an offseason I think all of us would be chomping at the bit for assuming it fits within the cap.

why is everyone mocking Fox as leaving? Do we really think his market is that good?

I moved Edwards for two reasons. First, I think he and Hav worked well together in the past and have good chemistry. Second, I would want the rookie (Leatherwood) starting next to Whitworth. Whit's play and presence would help him. Plus, we want him taking over for Whitworth, so while it wouldn't be a massive difference going from RG to LT instead of LG, I think it wouldn't hurt to have him on that side of the OL.

On Graham and Fox, I think Graham plays more as a rotational player at his age, but that wouldn't stop him from getting a lot of snaps, and I think Fox is going to get a decent deal in FA. I'd love for us to keep him, but he posted 6 sacks this year as a part-time player. Teams pay for pass rush.