Joseph Noteboom the athletic post raider game article

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Rookie Joseph Noteboom could be the backup plan Rams desperately need

By Vincent Bonsignore

LOS ANGELES — By the time the ice hockey career of Joseph Noteboom topped out in the 11th grade, he was pushing 6-foot-5 and well over 250 pounds. He was a big, fast, tough defenseman whose skating skills defied his imposing frame. The job description was pretty simple: Go find the guy with the puck and crush him.

Noteboom had a particular knack for spotting unsuspecting puck carriers along the boards and then hurling himself at them with all his size, strength and might. Pity the poor opposing player and plexiglass when he timed everything up just right. Which was often.

“Oh yeah, for sure. I was a big guy so that was my job,” said Noteboom, his devilish grin about as chilling as you’d imagine.

About the only thing more absurd than imagining a kid that big flying around an ice hockey rink was the location. When you think hockey, Plano, Texas doesn’t exactly come to mind. But then, who would have thought a town in the middle of Texas would catch the hockey bug like Plano did in the 2000s? But that’s exactly what happened deep in the heart of football country.

Before you knew it, nearly every kid in the region wanted to be Sidney Crosby.

Or in Noteboom’s case, Drew Doughty.

“In my area (hockey is) really big,” Noteboom said. “There were at least five ice rinks within 10 miles.”

The pull of football and a prolonged growth spurt meant hanging up the hockey skates for good. That decision more than six years ago was as easy as it was wise, and it has led him to Los Angeles, where he’s a rookie offensive linemen with the Rams.

Now 6-foot-5 and 310 pounds, Noteboom delivered a crisp, efficient performance in a 19-15 preseason win over the Oakland Raiders on Saturday that, coupled with a strong training camp, gives the Rams hope they shrewdly uncovered a starting-caliber NFL lineman in the third round.

Somehow a man as big as Noteboom went missing from the NFL’s draft radar last April over the first 88 picks, allowing the TCU standout to fall right to the very fortunate Rams at pick No. 89. They went into the draft needing to add youth and depth to a position that was top heavy and extraordinarily lucky last year. They left it with Noteboom, Maine tackle Jamil Demby and Michigan State centre Brian Allen.
All three have played well enough to at least allow the Rams to ponder the possibility that they secured three potential future starters.

That’s no small feat considering left tackle Andrew Whitworth is pushing 37, center John Sullivan is 33 and right tackle Rob Havenstein, left guard Rodger Saffold and right guard Jamon Brown are all free agents at the end of the season.

The likelihood the Rams go through another season like 2016 essentially unscathed along the offensive line — they needed just one half of play from a reserve last year — are slim. Chances are one or all of their rookies will be pressed into duty at some point. And with Brown suspended for the first two games of the regular season after violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, Noteboom could be a candidate to replace him along with veteran Austin Blythe.

But even if they don’t need the rookies this year, the Rams — with their age and finances and the NFL’s hard salary cap — will need one or two new O-line starters to emerge in the very near future.

USATSI_11099898-1024x753.jpg

Noteboom (70) played both tackle spots and right guard against the Raiders. (Photo by Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports)
Noteboom appears the surest bet, at least initially. He played both tackle positions and some right guard Saturday against the Raiders, remaining in the game until the end of the third quarter. And he accounted himself quite well, flashing smooth footwork, balance and hands warding off pass rushers, and power and tenacity in run blocking. The Raiders sat most of their starters, so context is important, but just one month and two preseason games into his career, Noteboom continues to flourish even as the Rams thrust him into stressful situations by challenging him to play multiple positions.

“He’s shown a lot of good, encouraging signs for us,” Rams head coach Sean McVay said. “Confident. Smart, conscientious player.”

“He’s come in as a rookie and done everything asked of him,” said Whitworth, who has taken all three of the Rams’ young linemen under his wing. “He continues to show why he was a good player in college, and he’s continued to improve each and every time he gets an opportunity. And that’s what you want to see from a young lineman.”

You don’t play as long as Whitworth has and not know what to look for in a good lineman or how they should carry or conduct themselves. The veteran Pro Bowler has pulled aside Noteboom to point out certain things — what he did well, what he could do better — or to offer tips on an assignment or technique. Noteboom has quietly and appreciatively soaked it all in.

You can tell a lot about a guy by not only how he plays, but also how he accepts and processes criticism or advice. And Noteboom has left an impression as a player and a young teammate.

“He’s one of those guys that, honestly, he’s got the right character and attitude to be a really good football player,” Whitworth said.

As Noteboom was leaving the Coliseum on Saturday, he was already thinking about aspects of his performance to focus on in film study. He’ll narrow it down to two or three specific areas and then work on them in practice. Off the top of his head, he said he wants to get a better command of the playbook so he can play more freely rather than thinking so much. That’s easier said than done when you’re cross-training at three different positions, but as he showed against the Raiders, Noteboom is handling everything the Rams are putting on his plate.

“It’s all there for what you need to be successful,” Whitworth said. “He has the talent and all the things needed to be a good player. He just has to keep progressing.”

Top photo of Joseph Noteboom by Kirby Lee of USA TODAY Sports

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Disagree on Demby he had several mental lapses today. Hopefully he reviews tape and can improve himself.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"That’s easier said than done when you’re cross-training at three different positions, but as he showed against the Raiders, Noteboom is handling everything the Rams are putting on his plate"

What's funny is that the reporter was too busy asking questions, instead of listening to answers. Noteboom said it was actually EASIER to play all three positions...How could a good reporter not follow up on that comment?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"That’s easier said than done when you’re cross-training at three different positions, but as he showed against the Raiders, Noteboom is handling everything the Rams are putting on his plate"

What's funny is that the reporter was too busy asking questions, instead of listening to answers. Noteboom said it was actually EASIER to play all three positions...How could a good reporter not follow up on that comment?

Did he really? That seems like an odd thing to say.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did he really? That seems like an odd thing to say.

Joseph Noteboom Postgame Locker Room Interview 8-18

Reporter: "Learning three positions makes it a lot harder, eh?"
Noteboom: "Yeah, and easier at at same time."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm having a hard time keeping myself from gettin too geeked up on these rook linemen. The idea that the Rams could hit the lottery on a 4th round pick and nail a LT of the future is so unlikely that I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. But he's better this week than he was last week. Sooo... Yeah.

Gonna rewatch the game with a little more eye on the OL. But coming away from the first run through albeit at the bar I continue to be surprised by the fact these guys are showing so well so quickly. Allen really looks solid out there, and I didn't think he'd get much play at Center in his rookie season due to the line calls but he's out there doin it and holding up very well at OG too.

Again gotta queue up the game again because there was a LOT of good in this one for us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joseph Noteboom Postgame Locker Room Interview 8-18
Reporter: "Learning three positions makes it a lot harder, eh?"
Noteboom: "Yeah, and easier at at same time."

That's a little different. ;)

I was thinking of the overview of what the Oline does......Complete understanding, maybe?

Yep, I think that's what he means by easier at the same time. Harder because he has to learn all the different roles and techniques, but easier because he has a greater understanding of the big picture of what the OL is trying to do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a little different. ;)

Yep, I think that's what he means by easier at the same time. Harder because he has to learn all the different roles and techniques, but easier because he has a greater understanding of the big picture of what the OL is trying to do.
Easier to learn or easier to play? Maybe...But the interview just revealed how much smarter this guy is than Robinson (1st round bust)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easier to learn or easier to play? Maybe...But the interview just revealed how much smarter this guy is than Robinson (1st round bust)

Harder in the sense that there's more to learn. Easier in the sense that as he learns it, he gets it to a better degree. A guy who understands both his role as well as the big picture of what the OL is going to accomplish is going to be more effective than a guy who only understands his role. Because when he's forced to think and improvise on the field, he's going to be better equipped to do that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harder in the sense that there's more to learn. Easier in the sense that as he learns it, he gets it to a better degree. A guy who understands both his role as well as the big picture of what the OL is going to accomplish is going to be more effective than a guy who only understands his role. Because when he's forced to think and improvise on the field, he's going to be better equipped to do that.
I could have sworn I said something similar? lol
"I was thinking of the overview of what the Oline does......Complete understanding, maybe?" ~me

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Disagree on Demby he had several mental lapses today. Hopefully he reviews tape and can improve himself.

He is like that in practice as well. Works hard though, & will improve.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So glad there’s a thread devoted to Noteboom... I was so impressed by his play that I re-watched the first half and focused exclusively on him.

Didn’t see one negative play, his man never made a tackle, every play he made was positive or neutral. EXPLOSIVE first step, great backpedal in pass pro off the snap. A SMART player, loved how he put his hands up in the “I’m not holding!” pose after he had his arms around the defender. Seemed effective at all 3 positions, LT, RG, and RT. Pushed the pile effectively at the goal line.

I didn’t watch Noteboom much against the Ravens (game sucked so bad I never re-watched it). But against the Raiders today, Noteboom sure as hell looked like the LT of the future.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
[QUOTE="LoyalRam, post: 1091480, member: 103 How could a good reporter not follow up on that comment?[/QUOTE]
Cripes Loyal, did a reporter steal your lunch? :rolleyes:

And don’t knock Vinny B, he’s the best Rams reporter I’ve read in ages, he seems to have the pulse of this team.

And as far as the reporter not asking the follow-up— sounds like there was a scrum of a bunch of guys asking questions, probably gotta take turns...

But yeah— bottom line, Noteboom sure as hell looked good today.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So glad there’s a thread devoted to Noteboom... I was so impressed by his play that I re-watched the first half and focused exclusively on him.

Didn’t see one negative play, his man never made a tackle, every play he made was positive or neutral. EXPLOSIVE first step, great backpedal in pass pro off the snap. A SMART player, loved how he put his hands up in the “I’m not holding!” pose after he had his arms around the defender. Seemed effective at all 3 positions, LT, RG, and RT. Pushed the pile effectively at the goal line.

I didn’t watch Noteboom much against the Ravens (game sucked so bad I never re-watched it). But against the Raiders today, Noteboom sure as hell looked like the LT of the future.

You see him in drills & he has pop when hitting the other lineman. Whitworth has him as a mentor. He will get all Whitworths Wednesday Reps during the season with first team.

He has had trouble with false starts.He did go in at RG with first team during the team scrimmage. I told a guy next to me that Noteboom was going to start for Jamon Brown day 1. That was the sign I was looking for, so cool I saw that.
Yes - this guy still needs to get more strength, but he has all the tools to be a Plus Offensive Lineman in the NFL

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
He has had trouble with false starts.

On third down on the Rams first possession, Noteboom started to move a split-second before the snap, but he got away with it. Noteboom definitely looks like he’s anticipating the snap sometimes. I trust he’s smart enough and dedicated enough that he can work it out.

Now that u mention it, I think he had a false start vs Ravens...?

Man Noteboom looked solid today

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
On third down on the Rams first possession, Noteboom started to move a split-second before the snap, but he got away with it. Noteboom definitely looks like he’s anticipating the snap sometimes. I trust he’s smart enough and dedicated enough that he can work it out.

Now that u mention it, I think he had a false start vs Ravens...?

Man Noteboom looked solid today

He jumped bad, but Demby got called for it against the Ravens. He has all the tools. Before training camp, McVay said something about Noteboom playing guard ? McVay is set on Allen & Demby as well for roster spots.

TexasRam

Legend
Noteboom put up a second straight solid outing. He is just super quick with his feet. I see him definitely as a LT. Doesn't show huge push like the greats but has the makings of a future solid starting LT.

I didn't get to review Demby today yet but I did see him with one mishap at least. He was coming off a really good game vs the Ravens so hoping for good things. He has the skills and build for the position, may need some growth.

Brian Allen- Better game but doesn't appear to me to have the size to be a starter. Blythe and Eldenkamp are light years ahead of him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
XXXIVwin said:
Cripes Loyal, did a reporter steal your lunch? :rolleyes:

And don’t knock Vinny B, he’s the best Rams reporter I’ve read in ages, he seems to have the pulse of this team.

And as far as the reporter not asking the follow-up— sounds like there was a scrum of a bunch of guys asking questions, probably gotta take turns...

But yeah— bottom line, Noteboom sure as hell looked good today.
As it was a "scrum" I didn't know if it was Vinny or someone else who asked the question. The only voice that I can ascribe to a person is Myles Simmons and it wasn't him. But seriously shouldn't the scrum (let alone the original reporter) have followed up on that answer, because it was different enough for a rookie to say such a thing?

Nope, they only wanted the answer to their questions...lol