John Clayton Talks Rams, Gurley, and Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
John Clayton joined Nick Wagoner and Carey Davis to talk about a number of topics including JPP, LA, the Rams, Todd Gurley, Nick Foles, and more.

Listen to Clayton Interview

Rams Discussion Starts at 7:30

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"8-9 win team when I look at it from a talent level"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8-9 wins is fair given the unknowns with the youthful OL. But if I looked at this roster on talent alone they are a playoff team for my money.

A55VA6

Legend
8-9 wins is fair given the unknowns with the youthful OL. But if I looked at this roster on talent alone they are a playoff team for my money.
Yeah they're definitely a team on the edge of the playoffs in my opinion. But with alot of unknowns on this roster, 6 wins and 10 wins are both possible. We just don't know what we have.

RamWoodie

Legend
Personally I think the focus on Gurley is over the top. Don't overlook how dangerous Tre Mason is!

The guy was 179 carries for 765 yards...and that's as a rookie...PRETTY GOOD!!! Also folks should think about this...Mason is 5'8" 207, while Gurley is 6' 1" 222...which means Mason is no slouch either when it comes to size!

I think the Rams have the potential of a "two headed monster" at RB...and Mason is not going to simply let Gurley come in and be the feature back. Keep in mind Gurley won't be able to contribute right away either.

Fisher has the best of both worlds with these two...and he doesn't have to worry about wearing down his RB.

I think Mason is going to be even better this year!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Personally I think the focus on Gurley is over the top. Don't overlook how dangerous Tre Mason is!

The guy was 179 carries for 765 yards...and that's as a rookie...PRETTY GOOD!!! Also folks should think about this...Mason is 5'8" 207, while Gurley is 6' 1" 222...which means Mason is no slouch either when it comes to size!

I think the Rams have the potential of a "two headed monster" at RB...and Mason is not going to simply let Gurley come in and be the feature back. Keep in mind Gurley won't be able to contribute right away either.

Fisher has the best of both worlds with these two...and he doesn't have to worry about wearing down his RB.

I think RB is the one position that you can see what you got in the first year with that player, probably the position with the easiest transition to the pros but our new OL should give Mason better numbers.

paceram

Pro Bowler

I do agree that I think they (Mainly John Clayton/Who I DO like!) are putting a little too much emphasis on Gurley (Especially, in this Rookie year) since I do think Mason is a very good RB (Probably not as good as a HEALTHY Gurley but still very good!) and I think the Rams will have a very successful season with or without Gurley. But, I do think Gurley is a Special RB and if he can stay healthy there is no doubt in my mind that he will HELP make the Rams Offense that much better which in turn will help make the entire Rams team that much better! I am hoping the Rams can take full advantage of both Gurley and Mason this season!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Running back is a very physical position. If you want to consistently have the horsepower to be a running team, you need more than one guy capable of starting without drop off.

We got some good ones. Plural.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
My only concern w/ Mason is can he break tackles vs. top DEFs like the Hawks & Cards etc. he's yards after contact is a major concerns. Though Mason can look all world vs. crap D's our schedule doesn't have too many "cake" games.

As I said before re: Gurley I really hope they take it really slow in the 1st half of the season, then in the second half of the season start to give him the keys to the O

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
John Clayton: Could Be Great Running Back Class of 2014
John Clayton breaks down why the running back class of 2014 is already making a big impact. Clayton says if Todd Gurley comes out of his ACL surgery and has a big year for the Rams, this years RB class could be the best in a decade.

Watch Clayton Talk Rookie Running Backs

RamWoodie

Legend
My only concern w/ Mason is can he break tackles vs. top DEFs like the Hawks & Cards etc. he's yards after contact is a major concerns. Though Mason can look all world vs. crap D's our schedule doesn't have too many "cake" games.

As I said before re: Gurley I really hope they take it really slow in the 1st half of the season, then in the second half of the season start to give him the keys to the O
You have to be kidding!!! Go back and look at the runs Tre Mason made and tell me the guy can't break tackles!

This is his first TD against Seattle...who is definitely not a crap team...who's the guy you see Mason run over to get in???

fearsomefour

Legend
I was thinking of a set with Gurley, Mason, Austin, Cook and Kendricks.
You could line up with a full house backfield with Gurley, Mason and Austin with Kendricks at TE and Cook outside. Could shift Kendricks and Austin out and keep two RBs in with a three WR set that started as a full house. The D eye in the sky would see two RBs two TEs and one WR come on the field and no doubt sub in a run heavy D. From that you could go empty backfield, keep one or two RBs in with Cook and Austin outside and Kendricks at TE.
The biggest advantage to a set like this would be to use it to create mismatches for Austin....or get Austin the ball coming out of the backfield where he is running in space.
Just mind wandering at work....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree with Clayton...The running game is key to Foles success, therefore the Rams success lies in Gurley, Mason, and the offensive line.