Jimmy Rollins on Wild Card Scheduling/Layoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Citing the fact the teams with byes were all struggling....Philly, Cleveland, LAD, NYY......he said the layoff is too long. The bye is a reward but those teams had 5 days off and it's hard to simulate game speed and timing for hitters, so it ends up a bigger detriment than a reward. His proposal.....and I'm all for it.....is give the 4 teams with the bye 2 days off (Monday and Tuesday). The Wild Card games should be set up the same way....all games in the higher seed's park....but the first day (Monday) is a doubleheader. Sweep and you get a day off before the LDS. Split and you play the next day, then the next day if you win.

Too much penalty for teams fighting through the weekend to make the postseason? Not really. You played yourselves into that position over 6 months. Hell, the Mets had that exact set up this year.....in a way.....doubleheader on Monday, game on Tuesday. Kudos to them, they're in the LCS. The only problem would be a situation like the Mets this year, where they had to play a doubleheader on Monday vs Atlanta to see who (NY, Atl, Ariz) made the postseason. So it would be 2 doubleheaders back to back? So what, don't put yourself in that position.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Not a bad idea. One thing I noticed was the top seed doesn't always play the lowest remaining seed the way they have it set up. The Padres had the best record of the wild card teams. The Dodgers were top seed. The lowest remaining seed for the NLDS was the Mets.

I guess the way they had it set up was the winner of the Padres/Braves plays the Dodgers. While the winner of the Mets/Brewers plays the Phillies. Other sports leagues usually have the top seed playing the lowest seed.

I guess I'm bitching because the Padres were the one team I didn't want the Dodgers to face. They seemed to have their number this year. They easily won the season series even after the Dodgers took 2 of 3 in their last series.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a bad idea. One thing I noticed was the top seed doesn't always play the lowest remaining seed the way they have it set up. The Padres had the best record of the wild card teams. The Dodgers were top seed. The lowest remaining seed for the NLDS was the Mets.

I guess the way they had it set up was the winner of the Padres/Braves plays the Dodgers. While the winner of the Mets/Brewers plays the Phillies. Other sports leagues usually have the top seed playing the lowest seed.

I guess I'm bitching because the Padres were the one team I didn't want the Dodgers to face. They seemed to have their number this year. They easily won the season series even after the Dodgers took 2 of 3 in their last series.
Yeah, they don't re-seed after each round. They should IMO. Might have something to do with logistics (hotels, etc.).

AFter the Wild Card round it would have been:
Detroit vs NY
Kansas City vs Cleveland
Mets vs Dodgers
Padres vs Philly

I can't say I'm upset with it. :sunglasses: