Jim Thomas' Rams Chat Highlights: OT Likely With 1st Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT’s Chat Highlights:

—There’s a lot of over-paying going on for just good to very good talent. I don’t think there’s an elite free agent out there this season. Look at the money pass-rushers Everson Grffen, Michael Bennett, and Michael Johnson are supposed to be getting. Johnson had 3 1/2 sacks last year. He’s getting $8 million-plus per year, reportedly, with $24 million guaranteed. Don’t ever tell me that the Rams overpaid for Chris Long _ who’s sixth in the league in sacks over the past four years.

—I think as we sit here now, the Rams are more likely to go O-Line at No. 2 (Or after trading down from No.2.) But that could change if the team signs an OG like Schwartz in free agency.

—I don’t think the Rams will be paying Verner $10 million a year.

—Rams still in the mix on Verner. Don’t think there’s much happening on Byrd. Off top of head can’t think of any lower level FAs Rams are interested in, but those aren’t the guys you go after on day one anyway.

—Barrett Jones? He could compete for starting job at center or guard.

—Go After Alex Mack? Don’t see that happening. It looks like Wells will be back, and they have Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes in the wings.

—CB’s other than Verner? I think Tarell Brown of San Francisco could make some sense.

—Of the top two safeties, I would say Clinton-Dix is more of a fit. (Than Pryor). The Rams need more off the rangy free safety. And that’s what Clinton-Dix does best. I think LeMarcus Joyner could be a fit as a nickel back/free safety.

—Jonathan Martin? Wouldn’t hold my breath on that one.

—Z Martin? I think he could be in play for Rams at No. 13 overall. At worst I think he goes in the early 20s.

—I’d say a starting caliber guard and a starting caliber tackle are needed. I’m sure if the Rams draft one of these top tackles they could move inside to guard for a year.

—Draft Clowney, then OL at #13? Makes sense, but if you draft OL at 13 you’re probably not going to get one of the top 3.

—Murray vs. Fales? I’d say Murray. I think arm strength is an issue with Fales.

—Nickel backs are really the 11th starter on a team; not the strong side linebacker. They play about 65% of the time. You can never have enough corners.

—I think they’re working o-line and secondary concurrently. Yes, I do see Wells returning as the starter. The boost in the salary cap of $10 million probably helped Wells’ cause.

Read All JT's Chat Highlights