Jim Leonhard Making Huge Mistake

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now maybe Leonhard's long term goal is to be a College Football Head Coach, but IMHO, he's about to come irrelevant and he's not exactly with a high end program as Wisconsin is very good, but easily forgettable and just a couple of losses away of being mediocre.

I understand to a degree of being at your Alma Mater, but one should strike when the iron is hot and either Leonhard has a different plan or is just satisfied of staying where he is. He turned down McVay last year, maybe he didn't want to make the move from Madison to Los Angeles, God knows why? Bowling is huge in Madison because you can't go outside, however, Matt LaFleur copying everything Sean McVay does, offered Leonhard the job as the Packers DC, he didn't have to move, could stay in the snowy badger state and if it a family thing, well, they would be able to keep everything in tact, but he turned down the Packers too and why, to stay under Paul Joseph Chryst for a team IMO with not much chance at National Championships...Egad!

Again some will debate me here, well, maybe he truly has a love for the place and maybe his long term goal is to be their Head Coach and I guess that's possible, however, so he's working for someone he wants to fail? Chryst is not going anywhere either, he's a former Badger player too and left Pittsburgh to come home and quite frankly, IMO, won't be leaving to take another job. Leonhard had an opportunity to coach under McVay and propel himself into being a NFL Head Coach, look at Staley and if the goal was to stay in Wisconsin and enjoy cheese & sausage, he had that opportunity too with the Green Bay Packers, but he turned them down too.

So Jim enjoy coaching defense in college football, where, it's all about the offense and enjoy being at a program, that although has had a better program then Michigan, nobody has noticed. 8-3 is nice and trying to figure how to stop Ryan Day & the Buckeye's might pay off eventually, but right now, one has to wonder why Leonhard won't move up and soon nobody will know his name.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Totally agree. How does he turn down either the Rams or Packers to be a college DC. It’s not like he can’t interview for the Wisconsin head coaching position when it eventually becomes available.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Huge Badger fan here. I can share that Jimmy is beloved in this state. He came from an extremely small northern town, walked on at 5' 8", became an All American, and enjoyed a 10 year NFL playing career where he served as much as a "coach on the field" as he did as an "impact safety." He made millions. All while remaining humble and true to his beliefs. His personality never changed.

Leonard is a modest man and is considered to be a wonderful person. He has more money than his lifestyle will ever need. He's a brilliant teacher and wonderful with his scheme; thus the many opportunities for other opportunities he's been offered. And it hasn't just been the Rams and Pack. Many SEC teams have inquired as well. Take a look at the stats he's put up over his tenure on a national scale....with 3-4 star talent. Again, the McVay's and LaFleur's of the world know what he brings.

Jimmy simply loves Madison and the state of Wisconsin. I'm not sure if he's a bowler, but I can assure you he will never permanently reside anywhere but Wisconsin (hunting, especially deer hunting, is big here and Jimmy loves it). He has little ego, thus his willingness to wait whatever amount of time it takes before Coach Chryst decides to hang it up. He simply wants UW to win. There is no jealousy or envy. He will wait his turn and help lead Wisconsin as a HC one day. People here love our current coach and want nothing more than for Leonard to one day replace him.

Take a deeper dive into the Badger staff (and athletic administration) and you will note it is filled with former Badgers that care for the program in a similar manner. AD Barry Alvarez has built this at Wisconsin. Our basketball coach is native to Wisconsin and our hockey coach is a former Badger with many former players as assistants as well.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Jimmy is a father first. He has school-aged children he does not want to uproot. It is the reason many Badger faithful have always been confident he wouldn't leave. By the time his children graduate, his wait to become our head coach will be rather short.

Keep in mind Leonard makes a million bucks a year. Consider the guy just may be one of the few who values his family, remains true to his state and alma matter, and is confident in his own ability to know there will be many opportunities later to advance his career if he chooses.

At a time where Rams Nation is so frustrated with the gutting of our coaching and front office staff, wouldn't we feel great if we had a few such gifted men that wanted to stick around to see it all come to fruition?

And not to sound salty, but Jimmy Leonard is not going to all of a sudden be forgotten. He's always been a pretty special human being with a tremendous mind developed under wonderful tutelage. Passing on a couple of high end jobs is not going to change that.

Respectfully,
Wisconsinram

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At a time where Rams Nation is so frustrated with the gutting of our coaching and front office staff, wouldn't we feel great if we had a few such gifted men that wanted to stick around to see it all come to fruition?

And not to sound salty, but Jimmy Leonard is not going to all of a sudden be forgotten. He's always been a pretty special human being with a tremendous mind developed under wonderful tutelage. Passing on a couple of high end jobs is not going to change that.

Respectfully,
Wisconsinram

Amazing post and now I understand much better. I guess if you love where you are and what you're doing, there is no need to change, just find it had to believe it's in Madison, where it snows 8 months a year, however, he would not of had to uproot his family coaching the Packers and would have been able to do all the same things, but again, I will never knock loyalty and if Leonhard's goal is to be Head Coach of Wisconsin, then great, but I just hope he doesn't end up like Scott Frost, once he gets the gig.