Christian Hackenberg from Jets to Raiders to Eagles and finally cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...hackenberg-to-raiders-for-seventh-round-pick/

Jets trade Christian Hackenberg to Raiders for seventh-round pick
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2018

900087960-e1514810708204.jpg

Getty Images

The Christian Hackenberg era has come to an end for the Jets, after zero games played.

Hackenberg has been traded to the Raiders for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

The Jets took Hackenberg in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft, so to settle for a seventh-round pick for him now is a major disappointment. But realistically, it was never going to work for Hackenberg with the Jets: He looked bad in preseason action and the practices that were open to the public, and with Sam Darnold now in town, there was zero chance of Hackenberg ever emerging as the Jets’ starter.

Can he do anything in Oakland? Raiders coach Jon Gruden was a fan of Hackenberg’s coming out of Penn State, saying before the 2016 draft that Hackenberg should be a first-round pick. So Gruden may think Hackenberg has a chance.

In Oakland, Hackenberg will be competing for a backup spot behind Derek Carr. Perhaps Gruden can help him develop into a starter some day. That day is likely a long way away, but at least he has a coach who likes his potential now that he’s a Raider. With the Jets, the Hackenberg experiment was doomed to failure.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've posted this once, I will post it twice and rinse & repeat...Hackenberg is SHIT, in fact, he's worse than SHIT....He is were flies goes when they have been on SHIT all day.

Psycho_X

Legend
Seems like the Jets should have traded a pick to make someone take Hackenberg. At this point that's a steal for the Jets to get anything for that dude.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would have to guess that Hackenberg's self-confidence might not be at an all-time high at the moment.
A 7th rounder is an insult.
That's painful.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hilarious...The Buccaneer's version of John Gruden has re-emerged. Didn't he have like 6 Qb's at one time, trying to find a starter? lol....
"Yikes!" ~Derek Carr

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I used to think Hackenburg could turn it around. He threw some gorgeous passes. He threw some aweful passes too. While at Penn State O'Brien claimed that Hackenburg was one of the brightest QBs he has ever coached. Apparently he isn't bright enough for the NFL.. When Bill left Christian went down hill fast.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've posted this once, I will post it twice and rinse & repeat...Hackenberg is crap, in fact, he's worse than crap....He is were flies goes when they have been on crap all day.
Welp....we are in disagreement den
Hackenberg can play....it'll be interesting to see what Gruden does with him? Just a camp arm or something more?

I used to think Hackenburg could turn it around. He threw some gorgeous passes. He threw some aweful passes too. While at Penn State O'Brien claimed that Hackenburg was one of the brightest QBs he has ever coached.
He can....and if given a chance...he will...

Dude has one of the best arms around....very good footwork...

I don't know if he has the yips...when he feels pressure...or what?

or

Is he like Jay Cutler...last in, first to leave type of character?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Slackenberg. Slowprocessingberg. Dude won't do anything in this league without a major speed-up in his processing ability, which typically isn't something you see dudes massively upgrade while going against a bigger and faster level of competition.

I'm sure he's a nice dude and all. But look at the bright side... He can put that quality education to work here soon.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hackenberg can play....it'll be interesting to see what Gruden does with him? Just a camp arm or something more?

We will agree to disagree my fine feathered friend because Chucky will send this this signal caller home. Christian Blaize Hackenberg will go down in flames just like Jesse James.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...hackenberg-to-raiders-for-seventh-round-pick/

Jets trade Christian Hackenberg to Raiders for seventh-round pick
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2018

900087960-e1514810708204.jpg

Getty Images

The Christian Hackenberg era has come to an end for the Jets, after zero games played.

Hackenberg has been traded to the Raiders for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

The Jets took Hackenberg in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft, so to settle for a seventh-round pick for him now is a major disappointment. But realistically, it was never going to work for Hackenberg with the Jets: He looked bad in preseason action and the practices that were open to the public, and with Sam Darnold now in town, there was zero chance of Hackenberg ever emerging as the Jets’ starter.

Can he do anything in Oakland? Raiders coach Jon Gruden was a fan of Hackenberg’s coming out of Penn State, saying before the 2016 draft that Hackenberg should be a first-round pick. So Gruden may think Hackenberg has a chance.

In Oakland, Hackenberg will be competing for a backup spot behind Derek Carr. Perhaps Gruden can help him develop into a starter some day. That day is likely a long way away, but at least he has a coach who likes his potential now that he’s a Raider. With the Jets, the Hackenberg experiment was doomed to failure.
So what QB exactly has Gruden picked or coached up in his entire history? So many are all in on Gruden but his overall record as a HC wouldn’t lead me to buy in just yet.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

He can....and if given a chance...he will...

Dude has one of the best arms around....very good footwork...

I don't know if he has the yips...when he feels pressure...or what?

or

Is he like Jay Cutler...last in, first to leave type of character?

Footwork was his biggest problem in college. He had great footwork on some throws and bad footwork on others. If he threw short, he rushed and never set his feet. His short accuracy y was terrible because of it. On longer throws he didn't rush and his deep accuracy was good, especially on deep outs. He and Allen Robinson hooked up all the time deep. He was a capable runner but he rarely ran. He was not good in the pocket when it came to feeling a rush. Bradford was very similar in that regard. I figured his flaws could be coached and he would turn it around. There must be something more to it.

Debacled

Starter
So what QB exactly has Gruden picked or coached up in his entire history? So many are all in on Gruden but his overall record as a HC wouldn’t lead me to buy in just yet.

Well he took Rich Gannon (who had been mediocre as best up to his Oakland days) to an AFC championship game (which really should have been two appearances) and won a SB with Brad Johnson(with one of the best defenses to ever be fielded aside). He even squeezed a couple of decent years out of the petrified remains of Jeff Garcia towards the end of his time in Tampa.

I wouldn't trust the guy to run a draft, he falls in love with just about every prospect, but he does know how to squeeze talent out of guys he does have. With that said Hackenberg is trash. Ive never seen a QB who made it all the way through college and through multiple years in NFL based of this same "potential" since high school.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well he took Rich Gannon (who had been mediocre as best up to his Oakland days) to an AFC championship game (which really should have been two appearances) and won a SB with Brad Johnson(with one of the best defenses to ever be fielded aside). He even squeezed a couple of decent years out of the petrified remains of Jeff Garcia towards the end of his time in Tampa.

I wouldn't trust the guy to run a draft, he falls in love with just about every prospect, but he does know how to squeeze talent out of guys he does have. With that said Hackenberg is trash. Ive never seen a QB who made it all the way through college and through multiple years in NFL based of this same "potential" since high school.
Meh. Johnson was Tampa’s Trent Dilfer. Tampa won that SB by picking off Gannon continually who BTW was having his best season ever after Gruden left.

Gruden took an already built roster to the SB with Tampa then coached the team to mediocrity until he was run out of town.

Like I said, I’m just not ready to anoint Gruden the next great coaching hire.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Maybe we will see him week one , when the rams are up by 40

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Footwork was his biggest problem in college. He had great footwork on some throws and bad footwork on others. If he threw short, he rushed and never set his feet. His short accuracy y was terrible because of it. On longer throws he didn't rush and his deep accuracy was good, especially on deep outs. He and Allen Robinson hooked up all the time deep. He was a capable runner but he rarely ran. He was not good in the pocket when it came to feeling a rush. Bradford was very similar in that regard. I figured his flaws could be coached and he would turn it around. There must be something more to it.
Foot work...in the face of pressure...
I've seen Tom Brady look like shit with dudes at his feet....

But I feel yah....mentally...you gotta be tough.

I wouldn't trust the guy to run a draft, he falls in love with just about every prospect, but he does know how to squeeze talent out of guys he does have.
And Rich Gannon looked like a MVP for 2-3 years....
Brad Johnson...Trent Dilfer....

Jeff Garcia looked a lil less than Gannon...but was a killer...

If John Gruden can fix Hackenberg...watch out.....

Oh, yall don't think guys can get fixed?? Did some of you guys see Blake Bortles in last years playoffs...his first one BTW....then on the road against NE....Yep...I said it too...Blake can play...

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Gruden took an already built roster to the SB with Tampa then coached the team to mediocrity until he was run out of town.
By that same logic, didn't his replacement in Oakland take an already built up roster (by Gruden) to the super bowl, not win, and then coach them to mediocrity? If memory serves, they started sucking shortly after that too.