Jets get Brandon Marshall in trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Jets get Brandon Marshall in trade with Bears
3653.jpg

Jets acquired WR Brandon Marshall from the Bears in exchange for a fifth-round pick.

This should effectively end Percy Harvin's time with the Jets, as well. The Jets will take on Marshall's $9.575 million cap hit and rid themselves of Harvin's $10.5 million, sliding Marshall in opposite Eric Decker. Marshall now gives the Jets a true No. 1 receiver, allowing Decker to settle back in as a complementary No. 2. It had become increasingly clear over the past 24 hours that Marshall wasn't coming back to Chicago. New Jets coach Todd Bowles was with Marshall in Miami from 2010-2011. Marshall's fantasy outlook takes a hit going from Marc Trestman's offense to Geno Smith, but new OC Chan Gailey has always had a creative mind. He should remain a solid WR2 and see around 100 targets.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 6 - 11:13 AM

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully the bears love marquess wilson. Otherwise, we have no shot at Amari cooper. I'm into the oline camp but Amari would've been a great addition.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah it does suck looking more and more like white or cooper are gonna be long gone by 10

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting tidbit on the radio about Marshall and the Bears.

Apparently he was flying to New York once a week to do some football show, during the season. Teammates, including his pal Jay felt it was counter productive to Marshalls game in Chicago.

Brandon will now b closer to his show.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah he was doing Inside the NFL every week on Wednesday

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Don't be so quick to pencil in a WR to Chicago in the first round now - that defense is still a mess.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Looks like the usual teams are getting the March headlines. Jets, Bills, Dolphins, etc. When the Redskins do something it's back to the norm.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ryan Scherff, come on down.

No question Cooper or White would have been BPA at #10.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Don't be so quick to pencil in a WR to Chicago in the first round now - that defense is still a mess.

I agree, I don't think this trade effects what they do in round 1 at all. They still have Forte, Bennett and Jeffrey. If anything this lessens the chance that Mariota falls past the Jets now if anyone was hoping to make a play for him. To me this trades increases the chance that Cooper or White fall to 10

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Besides Alshon Jeffery they literally have no receivers. Pretty much nobody.

Not entirely true. Jeffery, Bennett and Forte are all top receiving weapons at their positions. All 3 caught over 80 balls. Wilson a FA or a later draft pick fills in for Marshall.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good.
I was worried the whiners would grab him.
Marshal is just the type of player that would show up twice a year with great games. Both against us.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Take whatever you think about him personally for a minute aside and look at his stats.
For a 5th round pick you will not find better.
Since 2008 he's averaged almost 1200 yards per season and 8 TD's.

We haven't had anything close to that since GSOT.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Not entirely true. Jeffery, Bennett and Forte are all top receiving weapons at their positions. All 3 caught over 80 balls. Wilson a FA or a later draft pick fills in for Marshall.

They have other options like Bennett and Forte, but they need to fill their receiving corps with actual receivers. For a strong passing game to work, you need receivers more than TEs and RBs. Bennett and Forte are checkdown options, they need someone for intermediate to deep routes. Take away Jeffery and they don't have that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Jets stole Marshall at that price. Unreal.....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
They have other options like Bennett and Forte, but they need to fill their receiving corps with actual receivers. For a strong passing game to work, you need receivers more than TEs and RBs. Bennett and Forte are checkdown options, they need someone for intermediate to deep routes. Take away Jeffery and they don't have that.

Patriots don't have actual receivers and their passing game is strong, they have a slot receiver, TE and RB. Indy had the top passing offense with less. Hilton was their best guy. Wayne is washed up and Fleener was pretty good. Pittsburgh had the 2nd passing offense and all they have is Brown and Bell (RB) and Miller (TE).

These teams all had strong passing games with similar weapons. You could argue the combo of Jeffery, Bennett and Forte are better than the trio's I listed. Chicago can add depth through the draft and FA also.

Back to the original point, I don't think this trade forces Chicago to draft a WR in the first. They still have other issues they need to address and I don't think WR is #1 on their list. That being said, a talent like Cooper would be hard to pass on if he was available to them.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't think this trade forces Chicago to draft a WR in the first.

I'm not saying they would, it's just an obvious need.

All those other teams you mentioned have elite QBs to get them the ball. With an elite QB, you don't need elite weapons. The Bears have Cutler to get them the ball, and not enough support around him.

Brady, Luck, Roethlisberger are 3 of the top 10 QBs in the game today. Probably even better than that. Of course their offenses are fine. Cutler is 16 at best, if he's real lucky. The Bears offense won't work if he doesn't have the suitable downfield weapons that he can get the ball to.

All I'm saying is, without Marshall, expect them to put a couple top choices into WR and maybe some FAs too.