Jerry West has passed away

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was a childhood hero of mine. Wilt Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich, Elgin Baylor, Jerry West...These were the starters that I watched early on. I knew the Lakers and Dodgers rosters better than I knew the Rams team that early., probably because there were many more games on TV than the Rams played. I believe Chick Hearn was the announcer back then, as well as for Bowling for Dollars!

PS: I forgot that Pat Riley was on the team!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Another Laker icon has left us. I remember watching him in the early 70's. And the dynasties he built after. RIP Jerry West. Your legend will go on for a long time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Very sad day. I watched him play as a kid but I will always remember West and Riles as GM and coach. To me, they will always be THE heart of those great Showtime Lakers. RIP Mr. West. We know you will still be watching from the tunnel.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would not recommend getting old. However, it does have some advantages ... like great memories.

Among my earliest memories of the NBA were the the Lakers vs. Milwaukee; and they are great memories.

I was a huge Lakers-fan, so I hated the Bucks.

Wilt Chamberlain vs. Kareem Abul-Jabbar; and Jerry West vs. Oscar Robertson.

Loved Wilt and Jerry ... hated Kareem and the Big O. Several years later, Wilt and Jerry are retired, and the Lakers trade every good young player on the team to Milwaukee for Kareem ... who, shockingly, becomes my favorite athlete of all-time.

Condolences are appropriate and given but this was truly a long, great and fulfilling life to be celebrated.

Tano

Legend
I would not recommend getting old. However, it does have some advantages ... like great memories.

Among my earliest memories of the NBA were the the Lakers vs. Milwaukee; and they are great memories.

Loved Wilt and Jerry ... hated Kareem and the Big O. Several years later, Wilt and Jerry are retired, and the Lakers trade every good young player on the team to Milwaukee for Kareem ... who, shockingly, becomes my favorite athlete of all-time.

Condolences are appropriate and given but this was truly a long, great and fulfilling life to be celebrated.
Milwaukee only received one really good player from that trade. And maybe a decent player as well.

However, that trade turned out to be excellent for the Lakers.

I still liked Magic Johnson over Kareem though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Milwaukee only received one really good player from that trade. And maybe a decent player as well.

However, that trade turned out to be excellent for the Lakers.

I still liked Magic Johnson over Kareem though.
Magic is the reason I became a Lakers fan tbh. Went to a game as a young man his rookie year. We lived in the East Bay area and I went down as a Warriors fan. Saw Magic just owning the court and by the end of the 1st quarter I'd changed my fandom to the Lakers and never looked back.

Name
Tim
Yes, a memory from when I actually used to watch the NBA.
Everyone has to meet their maker eventually and all we leave are memories. Jerry West left more that his share...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Think it was much better than that. Lakers gave them every good young player they had ... Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman, Dave Meyers and Elmore Smith. I thought Winters and Bridgeman were both very good players; and Meyers (2nd overall pick) was developing into a quality player but retired young (injuries and strong beliefs).

Elmore Smith was interesting. He was very good early in his career (averaging double-doubles). The Lakers traded their best young player (Jim McMillan) to the Braves, who had a young Bob McAdoo, for Smith when they lost Wilt in 1973. Smith could rebound and was a terrific shot-blocker but after one productive year in Milwaukee, declined quickly.

Tano

Legend
Think it was much better than that. Lakers gave them every good young player they had ... Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman, Dave Meyers and Elmore Smith. I thought Winters and Bridgeman were both very good players; and Meyers (2nd overall pick) was developing into a quality player but retired young (injuries and strong beliefs).

Elmore Smith was interesting. He was very good early in his career (averaging double-doubles). The Lakers traded their best young player (Jim McMillan) to the Braves, who had a young Bob McAdoo, for Smith when they lost Wilt in 1973. Smith could rebound and was a terrific shot-blocker but after one productive year in Milwaukee, declined quickly.
Jim McMillan was one of my favorite players on that 72 team.

Of course, I liked the first 6 players on that team

Jim
Happy
Gail
Jerry
Wilt
Flynn - he would have driven teams nuts if the 3 point rule was in affect.

Never really did like their 7th player Pat

Sorry to see Jim go to another team.

Tano

Legend
I would say Junior and Brian were good players - not in the very good range

Dave was probably the key to the trade and he never did anything because as you say injuries.

I did like Elmore though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just keep losing childhood hero’s this year! RIP #44, you made me like basketball. You were a badass! Bad enough to have the NBA logo in your likeness!

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I remember the Lakers 33 game winning streak being snapped by the Bucks to climb within 1.5 games of the Lakers. The season Jerry finally got his NBA Championship.

Tano

Legend
I remember the Lakers 33 game winning streak being snapped by the Bucks to climb within 1.5 games of the Lakers. The season Jerry finally got his NBA Championship.
That was the year that I would listen to and watch every Dodger Ram and Laker game. I became a big sports nut that year.

However, I only watched the Kings once in awhile. Almost never listed to them on the radio.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That was the year that I would listen to and watch every Dodger Ram and Laker game. I became a big sports nut that year.

However, I only watched the Kings once in awhile. Almost never listed to them on the radio.
A magical time to grow up with sports!