Jerry Rice thinks he can still play in the NFL at age 55

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Sure as long as he never gets tackled.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nd-jerry-rice-staying-fit-50s-body-issue-2018

Jerry Rice on how he stays fit in his 50s
Hallie Grossman

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LLrUqqS00

Age has nothing on Jerry Rice. Last August, 13 years after retiring from the NFL, the GOAT receiver -- who's still the league's all-time leader in receptions (1,549), receiving yards (22,895) and touchdown catches (197) -- showed up to 49ers practice and proved he still had wheels. Now, at 55, he's using the Body Issue to prove he's still got the muscles to match. Hallie Grossman caught up with Rice to talk about the hard work required to outrun time.

I think I'm more muscular now than when I played football. I'm working hard on it. So many athletes just let themselves go after they stop competing. That was something I didn't want to do.

When it comes to training, I change it up a lot because I don't want the body to get used to a certain thing. That's really what CrossFit brings to the game. There are so many exercises you can do. And as long as you can mix everything up, and you don't do the same thing over and over, your body is not going to adjust and your body is going to continue to burn the rest of the day.

It was kettlebells today. I did three sets of 20, then three sets of 20 squats. And after every set, I go for a 400-meter run. I do one lap around the track, and then I come back and I do the second set. Then I go do another lap around the track. So I'm incorporating getting my heart rate up but also some running in between.

So tomorrow for me may be, like, 30 box jumps and then 20 burpees. So you got 30 box jumps, 20 burpees, then you go for another 400 run. You do three sets of that. The next day, it might just be a jump rope day, where I do 100 jump ropes. Then I work my way down to 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, then 10. Just changing everything up.

A lot of people don't focus on getting their heart rate up. About 30 minutes into a run or something like that, their heart rate is just getting up. Now they're like, "OK, I'm done." So they're not going to burn as much. But I can get my heart rate up real fast and do a lot of kettlebells, do a lot of box jumps, do a lot of wall balls, just stuff like that. Burpees. You would be amazed what that can do to you because you work an area of muscle in your body to jump down, get back up, something very similar to what we did in football.

The only thing I look back on is how I performed in the fourth quarter. A lot of players are tired in the fourth quarter, and they can't fight through that pain. But I had sacrificed so much during the offseason in the way I trained, I could endure that and still focus on what I had to accomplish. I think it was because of my conditioning.

During the offseason, I didn't take any time off. And I played this game for over 20 years. So right after the season, I would go right back into my regimen. We had this hill that was about 21/2 miles up and 21/2 down, and it was very challenging. ...

The last 800 meters is straight uphill. So you've got to think about this -- you're exhausted, but you have another 800 meters to go, and it's straight uphill. It's going to push you to all limits. But that pain got me ready for the fourth quarter. I think that's the reason why I did my best work during the fourth quarter. It's because of the hill, that last 800 meters.

For me, staying athletic and taking care of my body started a long time ago, when I was a sophomore in high school. I just started running. In Mississippi, it was like 100 degrees out. I would go out and run 5 miles. And my mom asked, "Son, why are you running out here in this hot weather?" And I told my mom, "I don't know, but I'm doing this for some reason."

Playing football was my destiny. This is how I started playing: I was playing hooky one day, and the coach and the principal walked up behind me. They scared me and I ran, and they noticed I could run really fast. They wanted me to come out for the football team. So I went out for the team, and I was not the most gifted athlete.

But I just felt, if it was something that I worked at, maybe I could become a starter. And I started to work, and I became a starter. And then I went off to Mississippi Valley State. Then I got drafted to the NFL. At that time when I was running my sophomore year in high school, I didn't know the reason why I was running, but that was my destiny.

I don't diet. I'll eat fish, I'll eat baked chicken, pasta, beans. When the body is telling you, "You need to indulge in something," you need to give the body what it wants. If that's some ice cream or a candy bar or some type of dessert, I'll just go ahead and indulge. After that I get right back on my regimen.

When I look in the mirror, I can say that I know there's room for improvement. As long as there's room for improvement, you're going to keep pushing yourself. But I'm always looking. I want to trim down a little bit more in my waist. I want to get a little bit bigger on top. But overall I want everything to balance out.

I don't want to have a big body, small waist and skinny legs. That just doesn't send a good picture for me. I try to balance everything out. Today was all about upper body. Tomorrow will be about lower body. Stuff like that.

I think if you go through the history of my playing, I always excelled. Now, was I the best athlete? I would never say that. Or the best-conditioned athlete? I would never say that. But I use that as an incentive to push myself, and I think that's why I played for such a long time.

I used to joke around about this: I'd say, "I play the game a little scared." And when you play the game a little scared, people are going to have a hard time catching you. Because you have the tendency to run just a little bit faster [laughs].

I went out and I practiced with the [49ers] football team last year. The young guys could not believe that after playing a game for 20 years, and being out of the game for 15 years or something, my body knew what to do -- that I could run routes, that I could catch the ball, that I can beat them off the line of scrimmage and do all those things. I think that really impressed them. But because I never got out of shape, my body just knew what to do the second I put on those football shoes.

I still feel like today, if I wanted to come back to football and play football, I could do it, at the age of 55. I'm one of those guys that I still believe that if I wanted to, I could come back, catch over 80 balls and really be productive on the field. ... I think I'm still explosive, and I think I still can beat up on some defenses.

Additional reporting by Stacey Pressman

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yeeeaaahh, and I can still drink toke and party all night and do a full days work, catch a 2 hr nap after work and do it all over again. We are all delusional about growing old.

Psycho_X

Legend
I mean, sure I guess. Shaq could still stand under the basket and dunk a ball thrown to him perfectly. Just don't ask him to run or jump. Or shoot, but that's just any age.

fearsomefour

Legend
I want to see George Foreman fight Steven Segal while Jerry Rice tries to catch passes from Brett Fave on a giant trampoline.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Except you cant use that banned sticky spray you admitted to using your entire career.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He didn't even retire on his own terms. Denver cut him. If he couldn't make it at 42, what makes him think can will.at 55?

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I can believe it. I officiated some semi-pro games this year and at 51, I'm pretty sure I can still play at that level.

…..

Legend
I want to see George Foreman fight Steven Segal while Jerry Rice tries to catch passes from Brett Fave on a giant trampoline.

you made me LOL at trampoline.

That would be Prime time stuff..er....wait....can we add Jerry rice catching Brett Favre passes on a giant trampoline while covered by Dion Sanders?

fearsomefour

Legend
you made me LOL at trampoline.

That would be Prime time stuff..er....wait....can we add Jerry rice catching Brett Favre passes on a giant trampoline while covered by Dion Sanders?
Have to mix in some cheerleaders of course....

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
He didn't even retire on his own terms. Denver cut him. If he couldn't make it at 42, what makes him think can will.at 55?
I personally would love to see him as the second guy in a double reverse and watch Donald crush the life from his body 7 yards in the backfield.

Go for it Jerry. I support you. Sort of.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When I feel the urge to indulge I allow myself as well. Cheers JR!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Btw I didn't post the pic they used for Jerry Rice in the OP article. You're welcome. :sneaky:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I personally would love to see him as the second guy in a double reverse and watch Donald crush the life from his body 7 yards in the backfield.

Go for it Jerry. I support you. Sort of.

Just what I was thinking. Please let Shanahan insert this guy into the offense. I want every Ram defender to tee off on his cheating ass. I want Talib and Peters to make him look incompetent as he goes out for passes. I want Joyner to light him up. I want to see the look on Rice's face as he lay in pain, thinking how could he have been so stupid! Please Jerry, come back.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I started reading it but the whole "people don't do this and I do that" fuck nobody cares you dick.