Jeff Gordon's Rams Chat Highlights--Still Sees OT With 1st Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordo’s Chat Highlights

—It would be hard to pass on one of the leading OTs given the cast of characters currently at that position.

—Expectations for Austin? I’d say 60 catches in a running offense, with perhaps 40 to 50 rushing attempts on top of that. Also, lots of punt returns. They will be the TDs. Can he get into double digits.

—Saffold’s return to play guard — and offer tackle protection — may ease the “draft for need” pressure with that first pick. I’ve never strayed from the trade down/take a tackle strategy, but Clowney is a special case. Watkins is, too, but there are so many WRs in this draft and so many young WRs still on the Rams.

—I never bought into the “Four Pillars” thing. This is football. You need some loose cannons. The very first STL Rams management team didn’t place enough value on character, but that was nutty bunch. The reality is you have to take some risks to build a good football team. Fisher understands that, just as Carroll understands that.

—Not sure if this team is stilling looking outside at guard with Saffold’s return eating up a big chunk of the limited cap space. And, again, the trouble with taking Watkins is the depth at that position in this draft, the earlier commitment to so many other WRs, the likely emphasis on the run and litany of other more pressing needs. It could still happen, but it’s not like the Rams are filling a lot those needs in free agency.

—The Rams needs are still their needs: Safety, cornerback, offensive line depth, back-up QB. After the Saffold investment, my guess is we’ll see bargain hunting. The prices on cornerbacks and O-linemen got crazy, as expected.

—There was always a good chance of the Rams drafting a developmental quarterback. But there are a zillion guys with NFL experience available for the No. 2 slot.

—The Rams believe there are many, many wideouts in this draft. Again, the Rams will run the ball a lot. Again, they are invested in several WRs, including a couple of outside guys.

—Fans love quarterback competitions. But they are rare in the NFL. If a team believes a QB needs to be pushed, usually that team just dumps the guy and gets somebody better. If a team believes in a guy or it doesn’t.

—Fans assume that getting the Next Julio Jones is No. 1 on the to-do list. I am not convinced that is the case.

—The Rams are pretty high on Stacy. I wouldn’t rule out Chris Johnson for the right money, but the Rams are just one of many teams more inclined to look for young RBs in the draft or off the street.

Read All the Gordo Highlights

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
—I never bought into the “Four Pillars” thing. This is football. You need some loose cannons. The very first STL Rams management team didn’t place enough value on character, but that was nutty bunch. The reality is you have to take some risks to build a good football team. Fisher understands that, just as Carroll understands that.
The thing I don't think people get about the Four Pillars is that it was never intended to be the policy forever. It was intended to build a high character locker room core THEN take the calculated characters risks knowing that your locker room leaders could keep the loonies in line rather than the loonies becoming said core.

Spags/Devaney were moving past it on their own going into third season because it accomplished its goal.