Jeff Fisher's first round picks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
...or at least the first round picks taken by the teams he was the HC. Not sure what kind of final say he had with Houston after he took over for Pardee or even if he had final say with Bud Adams being the owner.

1995 Round 1(3) - Steve McNair - QB - Alcorn State
1996 Round 1(14) - Eddie George - RB - Ohio State
1997 Round 1(18) - Kenny Holmes - DE - Miami(FL)
1998 Round 1(16) - Kevin Dyson - WR - Utah
1999 Round 1(16) - Jevon Kearse - DE - Florida
2000 Round 1(30) - Keith Bulluck - LB - Syracuse
2001 Round 2(60) - Andre Dyson - DB - Utah(Anyone remember why they didn't have a 1st rounder?)
2002 Round 1(15) - Albert Haynesworth - DT - Tennessee
2003 Round 1(28) - Andre Woolfolk - DB - Oklahoma
2004 Round 2(40) - Ben Troupe - TE - Florida
2005 Round 1(6) - Pacman Jones - DB - West Virginia
2006 Round 1(3) - Vince Young - QB - Texas
2007 Round 1(19) - Michael Griffin - DB - Texas
2008 Round 1((24) - Chris Johnson - RB - East Carolina
2009 Round 1(30) - Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers
2010 Round 1(16) - Derek Morgan - DE - Georgia Tech
2012 Round 1(14) - Michael Brockers - DT - LSU
2013 Round 1(8) - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

Well crap, while looking for a couple of things for my post I found a much better article:
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/01/22/...ght-indicate-who-the-rams-will-draft-in-2014/

Only 4/63 picks from the first 3 rounds have been offensive lineman.

40 total picks on defensive backs.

26 total picks on WR.

8/15 DE's taken have been in the first 2 rounds.

Overall, not knowing the history and needs of the Oilers/Titans makes it difficult for me to find any patterns. Also, I really don't know how much Fisher had a hand in some of these picks. The Vince Young situation certainly casts doubt on how much say he really had.

It would seem that he drafts for BPA and team needs but nothing really suggests what he might do this year. Not to me.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he always picks a de in the 1st the year after picking a wr in the 1st.

mr clowney come on down.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Well, apparently he does not think highly of taking offensive linemen early.

When he took Vince Young, he was probably hoping he would turn out to be the next Steve McNair but they just had two vastly different personality types.

RamEERS

Pastor
...or at least the first round picks taken by the teams he was the HC. Not sure what kind of final say he had with Houston after he took over for Pardee or even if he had final say with Bud Adams being the owner.

1995 Round 1(3) - Steve McNair - QB - Alcorn State
1996 Round 1(14) - Eddie George - RB - Ohio State
1997 Round 1(18) - Kenny Holmes - DE - Miami(FL)
1998 Round 1(16) - Kevin Dyson - WR - Utah
1999 Round 1(16) - Jevon Kearse - DE - Florida
2000 Round 1(30) - Keith Bulluck - LB - Syracuse
2001 Round 2(60) - Andre Dyson - DB - Utah(Anyone remember why they didn't have a 1st rounder?)
2002 Round 1(15) - Albert Haynesworth - DT - Tennessee
2003 Round 1(28) - Andre Woolfolk - DB - Oklahoma
2004 Round 2(40) - Ben Troupe - TE - Florida
2005 Round 1(6) - Pacman Jones - DB - West Virginia
2006 Round 1(3) - Vince Young - QB - Texas
2007 Round 1(19) - Michael Griffin - DB - Texas
2008 Round 1((24) - Chris Johnson - RB - East Carolina
2009 Round 1(30) - Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers
2010 Round 1(16) - Derek Morgan - DE - Georgia Tech
2012 Round 1(14) - Michael Brockers - DT - LSU
2013 Round 1(8) - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

Well crap, while looking for a couple of things for my post I found a much better article:
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/01/22/...ght-indicate-who-the-rams-will-draft-in-2014/

Only 4/63 picks from the first 3 rounds have been offensive lineman.

40 total picks on defensive backs.

26 total picks on WR.

8/15 DE's taken have been in the first 2 rounds.

Overall, not knowing the history and needs of the Oilers/Titans makes it difficult for me to find any patterns. Also, I really don't know how much Fisher had a hand in some of these picks. The Vince Young situation certainly casts doubt on how much say he really had.

It would seem that he drafts for BPA and team needs but nothing really suggests what he might do this year. Not to me.

long time rams fans should know why in 2001... traded for kevin carter for the rams

anyways... no WR twice in a row.. but also no OL either... but what's interesting this year is that the rams have been repeatedly interested in an OL to protect bradford... even though mcnair did get injured, he was never injury-prone per say.. he always got back in... with VY, if he got injured Fisher had a big smile on his face... bradford on the other hand has to miss game after game...
or.. we could get clowney and the cycle would repeat itself..

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
long time rams fans should know why in 2001... traded for kevin carter for the rams

anyways... no WR twice in a row.. but also no OL either... but what's interesting this year is that the rams have been repeatedly interested in an OL to protect bradford... even though mcnair did get injured, he was never injury-prone per say.. he always got back in... with VY, if he got injured Fisher had a big smile on his face... bradford on the other hand has to miss game after game...
or.. we could get clowney and the cycle would repeat itself..
It's hard to predict based on past drafts because of circumstance. The Oilers/Titans had their LT spot set for most of his tenure and the Rams went out and paid good money for Long who, although injured, is only 28 years old. So for me, it's hard to imagine them spending the #2 pick on a LT even if they can play other positions.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I keep going back to coach Fisher's 2013 season exit comments when thinking about which direction we're likely to go in the upcoming draft.
“I think we’re closing the gap,” Fisher said. “We’re not there yet, but I think with a year of improvement we’ll be much closer. Anything can happen. All three teams play really good defense, and we’ve got to play better offense and score more points to compete with them. I think defensively we can compete with these teams.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4754/fisher-rams-closing-the-gap-in-nfc-west

jap

Legend

He never really had to take an OL early. He already had perennial All Pro Bruce Matthews and another big name I forgot anchoring his OL.

When he took Vince Young, he was probably hoping he would turn out to be the next Steve McNair but they just had two vastly different personality types.

I don't believe he even wanted Vince. IIRC, his owner forced that pick---not The Fisher King.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I keep going back to coach Fisher's 2013 season exit comments when thinking about which direction we're likely to go in the upcoming draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4754/fisher-rams-closing-the-gap-in-nfc-west

I hope this is correct. The offense was the big problem last season. The line is shaky when it comes to reliability. I could definitely see him taking an OLT.

For the Fisher doesn't like Oline in the first round group consider what has been pointed out. He didn't need any OTs and until recently very few teams drafted Guards in the first round, ditto for Centers. Now that the price tag is lower we are seeing more of that. But if you don't need one why draft one?

This year they do need one. An OT that can play Guard at a high level would be a good insurance policy. It would fill the Guard need and get another OT capable (Maybe excellent OT) player on the team. Takes care of the future and the present. Guys that fit the mold? Matthews, Robinson, Martin, Bitonio......not Lewan.

Watkins would help with offense but not if the line gets more injuries.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Looking at the first link it is obvious that he really likes to pick DBs in the draft and WR is surprisingly not too far behind.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Robinson has been my guy all along. I've beaten that drum. I've also dick-punched Clowney with my Mojo mangina, but this past week or so i have started to sense something. A presence i haven't felt since....right before we traded up for Tavon Austin.
th

I'm really starting to think that Watkins will be the pick.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram with what could be the last words he ever types:
Robinson has been my guy all along. I've beaten that drum. I've also dick-punched Clowney with my Mojo mangina, but this past week or so i have started to sense something. A presence i haven't felt since....right before we traded up for Tavon Austin.

I'm really starting to think that Watkins will be the pick.
JH+1+smoking.jpg

Alan

Legend
I haven't seen a movie since this one:
220px-Birth_of_a_Nation_theatrical_poster.jpg

1915 was the last year they made really good movies.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
There are some good football players on that list regardless of position. There are also some not quite so good football players!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think Fisher had final say in the draft, he had input I'm sure but he didn't make the call. Remember the big fuss between he and Adams about VYoung. Fisher was publicly against the pick but Adams made it happen anyway and eventually that was the straw that broke the camels back and cause the end of Fishers tenure in TENN.

It's worth remembering this, he wasn't the architect of those drafts so it has nothing to do with what will happen now. Especially since he doesn't have final say in STL either. Granted he works with a far superior group but Snead controls the draft.

This talk about what Fisher "has done in the past dictating what will happen now" is much ado about nothing.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Bro, Fisher didn't want Vince Young.

69superbowl

Rookie
He only had such a valuable pick three times: 1995, 2005 and 2006. Except for Boselli (who went before Fisher's pick) he really only passed on D'Brickashaw Ferguson. None of the three years were big for offensive linemen. He has a big pick and several big players to chose from in 2014. I think he'll take a tackle.