Jay Cutler sees a little Mike Martz in Adam Gase’s offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
One of the things that baffles me is why Mike Martz never got another opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL. Yeah, he had great players while with the Rams, and yeah, he doesn't play nice with others but there are plenty of NFL coaches who have had less success with good players and less than sparkling personalities.

The man has one of the most innovative minds when it comes to offense and holds a 53-32 record for a .624 winning percentage. In contrast Jeff Fisher is at .524, Dick Vermeil at .524, Tom Coughlin at .539, Mike Holmgren at .592, Andy Reid at .588, Mike Ditka at .560, John Fox at .572, Marvin Lewis at .526, John Gruden at .540, Pete Carroll at .576, Lovie Smith at .519. But you get the picture.

Btw Jay Cutler whines about everything and threw Martz under the bus after he moved on, so I hope he fails miserably.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-a-little-mike-martz-in-adam-gases-offense/

Jay Cutler sees a little Mike Martz in Adam Gase’s offense
Posted by Josh Alper on May 12, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm5yzy5mju5mmi3zwu3zgqyntlkzjq3owfmmdjhmgji-e1431443608158.jpeg
AP

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has played for a lot of offensive coordinators over the years with Adam Gase’s arrival in Chicago this year making five in his seven seasons with the team.

It’s inevitable that there are going to be commonalities between some of the different schemes and Cutler has picked up on some between Gase and former Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

“He’s worked with a couple different guys; the good thing is, he’s heard a few things that I say,” Gase said, via John Mullin of CSNChicago.com. “He’ll look at me and kind of, ‘That’s a little Martz’ist right there’.”

While the mention of Martz conjures up images of Cutler getting sacked after a seven-step drop, there was some success while Martz was running the offense in 2010 and 2011. The team went 17-8 with a playoff win while Cutler was healthy in those two years and Cutler’s interception rate in 10 2011 starts is the lowest of his career, two things the Bears wouldn’t mind seeing with Gase at the helm of the offense.

Mullin suggests Gase will follow Martz’s lead by limiting Cutler’s options in the offense rather than leave him exposed to pass rushers while waiting for a vertical route to open up several times a game, although we’ll have to wait a few months to know for sure how Martzian things will look in Chicago this year.
---------------------
Martz’s system failed with the Bears because they did not have the personnel to run it.
No WRs and a poor O line and they knew that when he was hired.
It also did not play to what Cutler does best and instead they wanted him to take a 7 step drop with 4 defenders coming full speed right along with him.
--------------------
Jay Cutler hated Mike Martz and his offense. Sounds like another disaster Cutler season!
--------------
Hopefully the part that hates tight ends and under utilizes good running backs.
--------------
Say what you want about Martz, but the guy knows offense. Put it this way, Martz knows a lot more than the commenters on this site.

I thought the Bears should’ve stuck with Martz and kept building on his system for a 3rd and 4th year. In his 2 years there, the Bears went to the NFC title game, and then were looking even better the next year, they had won something like 5 or 6 in a row, when Cutler injured his thumb making a tackle after an INT that only happened because Johnny Knox slipped on that crappy Soldier Field turf. After Cutler injured his thumb, the whole season was derailed
-----------
Every team that fired Mike Martz immediately suffered.

Lions 0-16 year after firing Mike. 49ers had to fire his replacement (Jimmy Raye) in mid
season. Bears & Rams have not sniffed the playoffs post-Martz. Martz should be a head coach.
-----------------
http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/martz’ist-elements-adam-gase-offense-may-be-best-hope-jay-cutler

'Martz’ist' elements in Adam Gase offense may be best hope for Jay Cutler
By John Mullin

The word choice was more than a little interesting:

Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase was working with quarterback Jay Cutler, all part of the early going in a relationship that will have major implications for both careers longer-term. The conversations ranged over Gase’s offensive plans and philosophies, the kinds of talks Cutler has had with four previous Bears coordinators after his beginnings with Mike Shanahan in Denver.

One Cutler reaction was noteworthy:

“He's worked with a couple different guys; the good thing is, he's heard a few things that I say,” Gase said last weekend. “He'll look at me and kind of, 'That's a little Martz’ist right there’.”

“Martz’ist” – recalling former Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz from 2010-2011 – may be a very good thing for a quarterback still seeking the level of performance he and the NFL expected from a No. 11 pick of the 2006 draft. And it provides an interesting early impression of what Gase may have planned for his quarterbacks and offense.

For all of Martz’s sometimes-out-of-step approaches – seven-step drops, vertical routes, no-help protections, pass-first game plans, strict play calling – Cutler had the most successful stretch of his NFL career under Martz.

The Bears were 10-5 plus 1-1 in the playoffs in Cutler starts in 2010. With the 7-3 start in 2011 before Cutler’s broken thumb against the San Diego Chargers Cutler’s interception rate under Martz was 3.0 percent, nearly identical with his rate in his Pro Bowl 2008 season and all three seasons under Shanahan, and the best of his time in Chicago. For purposes of perspective, no quarterback other than Cincinnati's Andy Dalton got his team into the playoffs with an INT rate higher than Cam Newton's 2.7, and Dalton's Bengals future is tenuous after his 1:6 TD-to-INT ratio in four straight first-round playoff losses.

Since Cutler apparently did not run screaming from the room at hearing “Martz’ist” notions, one conclusion is that Gase does not plan dropping Cutler seven steps deep and in constantly in harm’s way.

More likely is that Gase will simplify Cutler’s options the way Martz did. Martz’s limitations may have had Cutler chafing but some of that was due to Martz’s unwillingness to move Cutler and the pocket. And Cutler’s decision-making has been more suspect than his talent.

One of the overarching problems the most recent coaching staff had with Cutler was understanding how the Bears quarterback thought. Decisions ranging from play calls to target selections confirmed one of the opinions held in some quarters of the NFL, that Cutler is simply not an accomplished decision-maker, particularly under pressure. One sure way to negate or subvert talent is to aim it in the wrong direction, and that happened too often over the past couple of seasons, sources explained.

Film-room questions such as “What were you seeing on that one?” didn’t always elicit clear answers or ones that made sense in the particular circumstances.

Gase solicited insights from a number of Cutler’s former coaches (who were not universally down on their sometimes-wayward quarterback, sources said), will curtail Cutler’s options by way of audibles, for instance.

Gase had met Cutler earlier in their careers and noticed immediate differences in the quarterback.

“He’s lost weight,” Gase said, laughing. “He looks good. He’s so mature now compared to what he probably was then. When you get married and you got two kids right now, you change over time and between the good and bad things that happen over your career. I think this is his 10th year. I mean, a lot of ups and downs.

“I think he’s ready for a fresh start.”

His fifth, and presumably last (start, not necessarily season), in Chicago.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Absolutely insane and ridiculous that Martz is not AT LEAST an offensive coordinator in this league. There's really no logical explanation for it. I really think coaches are just scared of him.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Absolutely insane and ridiculous that Martz is not AT LEAST an offensive coordinator in this league. There's really no logical explanation for it. I really think coaches are just scared of him.
To be fair, wouldn't you be? The guy hasn't really made a case for himself as somebody who's easy or fun to work with.

Moostache

Rookie
Martz at a power 5 NCAA school could be deadly...and given the lack of pro-ready college QBs being produced, he would have a big upside for offensive recruiting...give him a solid D-coord and he could be huge in college football...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Martz at a power 5 NCAA school could be deadly...and given the lack of pro-ready college QBs being produced, he would have a big upside for offensive recruiting...give him a solid D-coord and he could be huge in college football...

You don't even need a defense in college to win most games, you can just score 50 points a game, and who can keep up with you?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
To be fair, wouldn't you be? The guy hasn't really made a case for himself as somebody who's easy or fun to work with.
Not really. Martz is a little older now and hasn't coached in a few years. I doubt he becomes power hungry. I would think he just wants to win now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know what the issue is... but it has to be pretty powerful for him not to be able to retain a job (even with Lovie) or get another chance.

On the surface, it's totally illogical.

That's why I believe that - whatever it was/is - it's pretty powerful.

I'd go out on a limb and say he'll never be an OC (or HC) in the NFL ever again.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
While the mention of Martz conjures up images of Cutler getting sacked after a seven-step drop, there was some success while Martz was running the offense in 2010 and 2011. The team went 17-8 with a playoff win while Cutler was healthy in those two years and Cutler’s interception rate in 10 2011 starts is the lowest of his career, two things the Bears wouldn’t mind seeing with Gase at the helm of the offense.
no one talks about this part of Martz's tenure in Chi-town.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Martz's teams put points on the board and in most cases win games. That should be enough to override his prickly personality. Maybe Martz should go work for Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. That would be a sight to behold.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not really. Martz is a little older now and hasn't coached in a few years. I doubt he becomes power hungry. I would think he just wants to win now.
The NFL isn't a very forgiving business, that's why you've got to make a good first impression or you're screwed. Martz didn't, and I think regardless of how much he can and probably has changed he'll always have that control freak, aggressive kind of a dick stigma about him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The NFL isn't a very forgiving business, that's why you've got to make a good first impression or you're screwed. Martz didn't, and I think regardless of how much he can and probably has changed he'll always have that control freak, aggressive kind of a dick stigma about him.
Meh, I disagree. Steve Spagnoulo and Josh Mcdaniels both still have jobs after the debacle they put the Rams, Saints and Broncos through. So I kinda doubt coaches really care about him being a prick.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Meh, I disagree. Steve Spagnoulo and Josh Mcdaniels both still have jobs after the debacle they put the Rams, Saints and Broncos through. So I kinda doubt coaches really care about him being a prick.
Because they don't nearly have the laundry list of deeds that Martz has.

Spags was kind of a control freak, but the worst thing that's can be said about him outside of being overrated was that he was mean to an equipment manager once. Honestly he's barely worth mentioning, I doubt anybody here would talk about him half as much if he didn't suck as a HC for us. McDaniels was a douche, and you see the only people willing to take him back were the clown princes of douches themselves.

Martz has a huge history of rubbing coaches and players the wrong way, wearing out his welcome with the front office and just generally being a hard guy to be around for 5 seconds. It's a constant that follows him around to every team.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Martz has a huge history of rubbing coaches and players the wrong way, wearing out his welcome with the front office and just generally being a hard guy to be around for 5 seconds. It's a constant that follows him around to every team.
I have not idea what happened with Martz, but I don't buy into any of the "rubbing coaches and players the wrong way, wearing out his welcome with the front office " stuff. I think all of the GSOT players still like & respect Martz (except for perhaps Kurt), and that's enough for me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep F Cutler. I hope he picks up a nice case of herpes... Simplex deux.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

Have to agree with this. Bellicheat is another example of this. He was an even bigger ass-hat in Cleveland as a first-time HC than he is in New England. Good coaches get jobs unless they're totally insufferable.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
It is kind of surprising that he isn't in the NFL in some capacity. He's a guy whose rep is almost bigger than he is. His last interview was for OC with the Browns this year. It is interesting to read the comments in the story linked below. People have a definate opinion, mostly not favorable.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iew-mike-martz-for-offensive-coordinator-job/

Anyway, don't feel sorry for him. That network gig on Fox is pretty cush I expect and a lot less stressful.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Because they don't nearly have the laundry list of deeds that Martz has.

Spags was kind of a control freak, but the worst thing that's can be said about him outside of being overrated was that he was mean to an equipment manager once. Honestly he's barely worth mentioning, I doubt anybody here would talk about him half as much if he didn't suck as a HC for us. McDaniels was a douche, and you see the only people willing to take him back were the clown princes of douches themselves.

I suppose we have to agree to disagree on this one. The NFL is strictly business. It's not some call center where Martz is an 18 year old kid who comes into work everyday smelling like weed. He's a professional and extremely good at his job. I don't think his personality will come into play.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't want Martz anywhere near my team as a HC or talent evaluator anymore, but i would love to see him active and successful in the NFL again as an OC.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is kind of surprising that he isn't in the NFL in some capacity. He's a guy whose rep is almost bigger than he is. His last interview was for OC with the Browns this year. It is interesting to read the comments in the story linked below. People have a definate opinion, mostly not favorable.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iew-mike-martz-for-offensive-coordinator-job/

Anyway, don't feel sorry for him. That network gig on Fox is pretty cush I expect and a lot less stressful.
Interesting little blurb.... even in that, little jabs at him.

He's certainly polarizing, that much I can say!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed, nor how his offense kept them in the game when they lost to Green Bay with Caleb Freakin Hanie playing QB in place of an injured Jay Cutler