Jason La Canfora Talks Sam Bradford, Rams’ Stadium Situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports was on The Morning After from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis discussing his report on Sam Bradford, plus gives his updated opinion of the on-going stadium situations.

Listen to LaCanfora Talk Rams

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
La Canfora is a lying gossiping uninformed little weasel.There.I said it.
Agreed, I can't remember when I've listened to someone ramble on endlessly and not say a single damn thing. Truly this clown loves the sound of his own voice.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Jeff Fisher says Sam Bradford trade report was “inaccurate”
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 20, 2015, 11:31 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwuzzmnjntu1y2fjyzrkyta4ywuxn2ezngnimguyntg4.jpeg
Getty Images
Jeff Fisher made it clear Friday morning that he wants to keep Sam Bradford.

But he also made it clear he needs an option to the oft-injured quarterback going into this season.

Speaking at the podium at the NFL Scouting Combine, Fisher said reports that Bradford was allowed to seek a trade were “inaccurate,” but stressed that the Rams are definitely going to be adding to the position.

“I don’t know what that’s going to look like,” Fisher said. “It could be a veteran, could be a draft pick, . . .

“But it’s extremely important to have an option, yes.”

Fisher pointed out that Bradford is 5-2-1 against the NFC West during his time there. Of course, Fisher has been there three years now, so playing in eight of 18 possible division games also might be considered a negative.

Fisher also mentioned Shaun Hill and Austin Davis, probably out of courtesy as much as anything else. But it’s obvious the Rams want to have a dependable Plan B on hand in case Bradford ends up hurt again.

But they are going to lengths to make sure the former first-round pick feels comfortable, down to staffing hires. They consulted with Bradford before promoting quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti to offensive coordinator. And with that promotion, they wanted to backfill the position coach job with a former player.

They interviewed former NFL quarterbacks Jeff Garcia and Steve Walsh before hiring Chris Weinke, and Fisher said Weinke and Bradford had dinner during the process.

Fisher lauded Weinke, who had previously worked as a private quarterback instructor at the IMG Academy, and had helped prepare Panthers quarterbackCam Newton and others.

“The respect level from a player’s standpoint is very high,” Fisher said of getting a former player on staff. “We’re going to have a young quarterback, and I don’t think there’s anybody better to coach one.”

Of course, the priority is going to be Bradford, as long as he’s able.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bradford Trade Talk Not an Uncommon Situation
By Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/02/22/bradford-trade-talk-not-uncommon-situation/

Confusion set in recently, sparked by a CBSSports.com tweet stating the Rams had given Sam Bradford permission to seek a trade. Rams GM Les Snead was quick to refute those claims in a press conference from the NFL Combine in Indianapolis where he compared the situation to another from the past and said the team should still be prepared should Bradford become injured.

“Guess what? Sam Bradford, if he were to leave the Rams, he might be worth another team taking a shot at,” Snead said at the combine. “Let’s don’t delete him, I don’t think that is the answer. I think the answer is providing insurance in case we do go through you know, more bad luck.”

Rams Executive Vice President Kevin Demoff has let players and their agents know in the past they are free to explore the trade market to find their worth among teams who are looking.

In a recent interview with ESPN’s Nick Wagoner, The Fast Lane asked if there was anything truly shocking about the situation.

“It’s not shocking. Anyone that’s really been paying attention understands what’s really going on there,” Wagoner said.

“This isn’t a situation where the Rams are trying to trade Sam Bradford, it’s not a situation where Sam Bradford has asked to be traded. It’s a situation of trying to figure out how to gauge what the market value of Sam Bradford would be.”

The Rams would ultimately like a reduction in cost for the final year of Bradford’s contract in St. Louis. In order to find out what price would be fair for both sides moving forward, the team is allowing Bradford and his agent, Tom Condon to explore his worth throughout the league. While the team is technically letting Bradford explore the trade market, one reading between the lines can see he’s not necessarily bound for a flight out of town.

NFL agent and 101ESPN league insider Marc Lillibridge said teams around the league often do allow players to explore their options, with the goal of finding the best possible solution for both sides.

“It’s all about finding that happy medium. The Rams have a guy who they want to build their team around on the surface in Sam Bradford, but he’s had the injury problems, and it’s not a big free agent quarterback class,” Lillibridge said. “So if a team like Cleveland or Buffalo decide they may want to deal a pick this year or a number one next year, then the Rams would want to look at it just like they did with the RG3 deal.”

Lillibridge would not speculate on if he thought a Bradford trade would take place, but said he wouldn’t take anything off the table.

“That’s way above my paygrade. I don’t know what’s being talked about behind closed doors with the Rams, but the fact they’re talking about it means anything is possible.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cleveland Plain Dealer beat writer Mary Kay Cabot joined The Morning After discussing her report on the Cleveland Browns possibly having interest in Rams QB Sam Bradford.

Listen to Bradford Discussion