Jason La Canfora sucks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
32F42281-FAB7-47C0-90DE-3A814B03651F.jpeg

I don’t even know where to start with this horrendous list. First of all, a bonafide franchise QB to me is a guy who is established and is going to be the guy for a long time. That would exclude Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger and Rodgers. Who are all over 35 years old.

Also, I think a franchise QB should be on their second contract. To prove the team is committed. Mahomes is probably the only exception.

I like Watson, but he is slightly overrated. He has some really bad clunkers and hasn’t exactly lit up the stat sheet over a full season. I would peg him as a proven winner. Same with Lamar Jackson. He had an incredible year. But let’s withhold judgement to see if teams can follow what the Titans did.

Wentz is confusing. He hasn’t won a playoff game. He’s had one great year and is otherwise pretty good. Yet people see him as this all world QB. Technically under my criteria, he’s a franchise QB.

Proven Winners are just that. Guys who consistently have winning records. Matt Stafford should be considered a franchise QB. That’s what he’s been and is still only 32. But he hasn’t exactly won games. And hasn’t performed amazing in the playoffs. If he was on a better team his career would be looked at differently. Him and Matt Ryan are one on the same though. Ryan has just been on a better team. Both franchise guys.

Dak, Wentz and Goff should all be considered on the same level. They’ve all won games and have put up stats. But if we are numbering them 1-3 within the same tier. It’s Goff, Wentz, Dak. We’ve seen all three QBs have a great team around them. And Goff has far outplayed either of them in those circumstances.

I really have no idea what the fuck Jason is thinking putting Goff with QBs like Tyrod Taylor and Teddy Bridgewater. That Super Bowl is the worst thing to ever happen to Goff. Allen? Mayfield? Why are they ahead of Darnold? Tannehill is 49-49 in his career! What the fuck is this list!?!

Needless to say, fuck Jason La Canfora.

tempests

Hall of Fame
All of CBS ".com" analysts suck, which is why La Canfora is right at home there.

Amazing how the Rams win any games at all with such a lead weight at QB. I don't know whose dog Jared ran over, but third in passing yards, fifth in TDs, 2nd in regular season wins in the last three seasons....very generous to allow "you can win with him". Yeah, no sht. We've had the highest scoring offense in the league, and come from 13 points down to win on the road in the NFC Championship.

I'm not always happy with Jared's play, but things did improve last year once the Rams got Higbee involved. If he can iron out some of his inconsistencies, he should be the Rams starting QB for a good long while.

Last edited:

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
This stuff just doesn’t bother me anymore. Are these haters wrong? Yeah, but they are trying to push a narrative with Jared that all started because a lot of people were wrong in their analysis of Goff. Let them double down so they can feel right in their bias. It’s all good.

Goff had a lot of things stacked against him last year, things that the media would use to defend other QBs that they like. With Goff though, it’s a reflection of his talent. Goff definitely has flaws, but he’s quite a bit better than he gets credit for. As long as I know it, and knowledgeable fans know it, that’s fine by me.

I’ve always been a big fan of role players and facilitators in sports. Guys who make things happen that doesn’t necessarily show up in the highlights, but true sports fans, cerebral sports fans know how important said contribution was. We can see what Goff brings, and that’s all that matters.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's so much wrong with this list that the Goff nonsense doesn't even resonate.
"Proven Winners":
Matt Ryan, only 2 winning seasons in last 7 years
Matt Stafford, 69-79 career record
Dak Prescott, only 1 win in 3 playoff games, loses last 5 of 7 games (scoring only 16 ppg in losses) and misses playoffs in 2019

Pretty sure he was riding Mayfield's jock last pre-season.
And tier 6 "good luck" is ahead of tier 7? So you'd rather have Trubisky than Burrow?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Kirk Cousins gets the same fluff off.

Among starters, he was 4th rated last year.

Look at these last 5 seasons. Solid. That’s top pro category if nothing else.

C7B8A0EE-B41A-4D90-8302-33D055D0E466.jpeg

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
There is NO Doubt in my mind that Goff (And, The Rams!) is going to have a GREAT 2020 SEASON (AND, CAREER!) and make Jason La Canfora EAT A LOT of CROW!!!

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Kirk Cousins gets the same fluff off.

Among starters, he was 4th rated last year.

Look at these last 5 seasons. Solid. That’s top pro category if nothing else.

View attachment 36665
I’m a big Cousins supporter. He also has some flaws, but the dude is a good QB. Plus I love that he’s a testament to how little Daniel Snyder knows about football.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Prescott proven Winner....How many playoff games has he won?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
View attachment 36662
Dak, Wentz and Goff should all be considered on the same level.

Funny thing about people.
They don’t like to admit when they are wrong.

And people are wrong a lot.

There is a ton of negativity about Jared Goff, and it goes back to 2016 when he was selected first overall and was winless in seven starts (on a bad team that fired its coach during the season).

Many of the media experts decided at that time Goff was not very good or worse; and they will not admit they may have been wrong. In fact, those that really trashed him back then (e.g., Mike Lombardi) remain the most aggressively critical.

I agree with your simple statement above.

You had a ton of good comments and observations. Here are a couple more.

Anyone who bothers to look at stats will see that over the past three seasons, Goff’s numbers are clearly better than Prescott’s numbers. Goff has him in regular season wins, playoff appearances, playoff wins, Pro Bowls, touchdown passes, yards and yards per attempt.

Prescott has completion percentage and three fewer interceptions.

Over the same three seasons, Goff has played in four Playoff games, winning two, including out-playing Drew Brees in New Orleans in a Conference Championship game. Meanwhile, Wentz has played five minutes of one Playoff game.

Now Wentz and Prescott are really good. I have no issue with Eagles or Cowboys fans arguing their guy is the best of the three. But they are all right there together.

One other comment. Objectively speaking. Between Dallas, Philadelphia and the Rams, which two teams have fielded the better O-Lines the past four years?

In my opinion, it is clearly Dallas and Philadelphia. In 2017 and 2018, the Rams OL was right there with them. And in those two years, Jared Goff was the better quarterback.

Flint

Pro Bowler
This sounds more like one of those fan sites than anything legit. I’ve got nothing but respect for all the OG qbs like Brady & Brees but last year Brees got hurt early & so did Ben so is this based off their body of work cuz last year was non existent for Ben and middle of the pack for Brady and Rogers. If so how did Rivers get dinged so bad. Maybe it’s rings and conference titles but then what are Wentz and Watson doing there?
Dak has won the division but not much else, Ryan has an mvp and a SB appearance but nothing lately and Stafford has a really good arm. How Goff isn’t in this group I don’t know.
looks like they couldn’t figure where to put Garapalo so they put him in rising stars, Murray’s going into his 2nd year JG’s going into his 8th, I think 9er fans suspect he won’t be rising all that much. How bout Tannehill too, he’s coming off a great year.
Look at the guys in Goff’s category, so disrespectful, I don’t think any of them other than Tannehill have won a playoff game, and Goff’s the only one to go to the SB. Of course we all remember the things La Canfora has written and said about Goff so it’s not surprising, at least he beat out Trubisky and bunch of rookies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've always known JLC was a mental midget who just tries to generate clicks. That said some of the people shown ahead of Jared are comically bad.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
We do this to ourselves over and over. Why do we post opinion pieces from sports writers who are just trying to fill column space in their website or blog and debate the contents for days? Especially these ranked lists. We know the Rams need to play better on both sides of the ball next season. We know that we have two new coordinators and a new special teams coach. We lost free agents, gained free agents and drafted some college kids. We have more unknowns than most teams, but that doesn’t matter until the real games are played, whenever that is. Until then, articles like this one are from people expressing their opinion like they hold some kind of crystal ball, which they don’t. I care what the Rams coaches, front office and players have to say and everyone else, I don’t care what sportswriters say unless they are reporting an injury or transaction. Don't get yourself worked up over stuff like this.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just watched the highlights of that epic Rams Vikings game where at the end of the game, Cousins personally tells Goff, best performance he has ever seen.
Goff is a huge reason we are here with 3 wining seasons in a row, as well as McVay's leadership.
In the Youtube comments, of the Rams Vikings game, I saw this comment and had to share it with you.
"Seeing success like this after so many years as a Rams fan doesn't even feel real. #GoRams "

I have to add this too. I've said it before, as an opposing team, you see the Rams on your schedule, and it's like seeing the Pats, Chiefs, or Packers coming to town because you know they are going to score the hell out of the ball. Goff is going to carve you up. I'm all in on Goff.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I just watched the highlights of that epic Rams Vikings game where at the end of the game, Cousins personally tells Goff, best performance he has ever seen.

Agree completely but Goff had great protection that night.

Every QB is better with strong protection but the range of performance between good and poor protection varies for QBs.

Mobile QBs are usually more effective when dealing with pressure; and that’s not Goff.

Some QBs that lack mobility, are tremendous at getting the ball out of their hands. Brady is great at that, and Brees is very good. The offensive scheme is also a factor. Does it offer quick/short receiver options to the QBs.

QBs that are a little careless with the ball get burned more often under pressure. In my opinion that is Goff’s weakness.

The positive (and this is just my opinion) is that when he has quality protection, Jared Goff throws the ball as well as any QB in the game. That Vikings’ game is a great example.

The negative right now (again, just my opinion) is that when under pressure, Goff falls back to no better than average.

The range of performance between good and poor protection is huge for Goff.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Bias and common narratives drive ignorance. Like when Kurt Warner was washed up and selfish when he played with a broken thumb but Brett Favre was a warrior when he threw half a dozen picks against the Rams in the playoffs. Even recently I heard some idiot talk about how our new running back will help Goff while McVay is “in his ear” as though Shanny isn’t in Garappolo’s ear or Peterson isn’t in Wentz’s ear.

Truly I believe Goff is of a similar caliber as Matt Ryan. They are better than average system QB’s who execute well when the systems are functioning as they are designed to do so. Really, that’s all Brady is...he just worked in a superior system for a long time. The only years he was an above average deep passer were the years with Randy Moss. This category should include Troy Aikman, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner, Dan Fouts, Bart Starr, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Norm VanBrocklin, Tony Romo, Ben Rothlesberger, and Len Dawson. They all won so many years that they earned elite status. That’s what Goff has to do to get the same type of respect. Until then....I don’t give a flying crap what the herd media thinks. Every long time QB has great and just good years based on their teams.

As for Wentz, to me he’s a more mobile Sam Bradford. I wanted to draft him but part of ability is availability and Goff hasn’t missed a game whereas Wentz doesn’t help his club from the tub.

To prove I’m not saying these things with Homer Goggles, there are very few QB’s who have historically raised their offenses beyond the talent of their 10 counterparts and coaches and none of them were Rams. Johnny U, Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Dan Marino, and the healthy Michael Vick/Cam Newton/Donovan McNabb/Steve McNair/Russell Wilson types. With that said, I prefer the former category for a Sean McVay team because I want a QB that trusts the system over what LaFluer has to deal with in Rodgers. Talent and off schedule success is a double edged sword. I’d feel differently is this were a Jeff Fisher team. In absence of a superior system, you need a McNair type to bail the team out. Because of this, deep down I wonder if Snead advised Goff over Wentz because he anticipated a coaching change. Just a thought.

TheBunk

Rookie
The media narrative is locked in for most of the QB's on that list. Literally the only that that swings them is Super Bowl victories or a disastrous regular season. It's only black and white with the media. No better example of this is where Dak is on there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
ALL pocket QB's struggle more than scrambling QB's with a poor O Line. This is important to note and differentiate in your blanket statement.

I'd put Goff near the bottom of the top 10 and i'm fine with that statement. I also don't think grading QB's from one year to the next without looking more intensely into his surroundings is a fair or accurate way to decide if a guy has gotten better or worse in one offseason. I strongly believe that McV's (stale)offense went backwards moreso than Goff's game in 2019, but i've already beaten that dead horse.

There aren't a lot of great O Lines in the modern NFL which is a reason why the game has moved to towards the off schedule playmakers at QB. It's smart, if the plan is to fast track your offense that has subpar weapons and a bad O Line...and generate some excitement.