Jared Goff Is Championship Sunday’s Least-Proven Quarterback—and May Also Be Its Most Important

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had this same pass in the first trip into the red zone against dallas, but was blitzed. He panicked and threw it away.
Panicked? More like had to throw it early. Alternative was to take a sack.
Panic? Nah

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Panicked? More like had to throw it early. Alternative was to take a sack.
Panic? Nah
After I wrote this post. Watched the 1st quarter again. Panicked maybe overstating it and from the angle the blitzer was coming, it also looks like goff's view of Gurley could be blocked. Also Dallas #25 was headed towards Gurley from the middle of the endzone and would have made the play quite risky. So, I stand corrected.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully its Jared, because if its Jerry we might have a problem

giphy.gif
Or Jack... ;):LOL::hiding::rimshot:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so this does irritate me, the ignorance of media types to not correlate his struggles with Kupp's injury. Remove Mahomes' security blanket Tyreek Hill and then tell me he is still going to be the top MVP candidate.

Oh and btw... If this dude thinks Mahomes isn't a potential concern for the Chiefs in the playoffs vs Bill Belichick he hasn't been watching football long enough. Whatever he did vs the Patriots early this season doesn't matter. The emperor will have some BS lined up for him so I wouldn't be so quick to act like he's going to automatically throw for his usual 4+ TDs in that game.

Goff & Mahomes are the two best young QBs in this league and they're challenging the old guard in Brees & Brady. But they aren't playing those QBs they're playing their defenses. And between the two which defense would you rather face? The Saints, or the Patriots? I think that one speaks for itself.

Mahomes did something this year that only one other QB in NFL history had done, and he was arguably the best QB ever.

Kupp is great, but he's not Tyreke Hill - our weapons without Kupp are still top 10, maybe top 5 in the NFL - we had two 1200 yard WRs WITHOUT Kupp. Mahomes lost Watkins for a stretch and then Hunt outright - he's continued to do what he's done with basically two weapons on offense.

Both can be really good at the same time, but IMO it's completely reasonable to say Mahomes is more accomplished than Goff thus far.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mahomes did something this year that only one other QB in NFL history had done, and he was arguably the best QB ever.

Kupp is great, but he's not Tyreke Hill - our weapons without Kupp are still top 10, maybe top 5 in the NFL - we had two 1200 yard WRs WITHOUT Kupp. Mahomes lost Watkins for a stretch and then Hunt outright - he's continued to do what he's done with basically two weapons on offense.

Both can be really good at the same time, but IMO it's completely reasonable to say Mahomes is more accomplished than Goff thus far.

My point has nothing to do with Mahomes and what he accomplished during the regular season. It has to do with the fact that no matter how great Mahomes played, he's still a young QB and Belichick has a long history of removing what you do best in the playoffs.

Mahomes' matchup this weekend is more difficult than that of Goff, to the point where racking and stacking QBs based on how they played during the season doesn't really matter that much. It's relative to who you're playing. Look at what Brady's facing, a defense that has been porous all season. But if the Patriots win all the media BS will be about Brady beating Mahomes, which is stupidity.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Or Jack... ;):LOL::hiding::rimshot:

:rolllaugh:
If Goff just suddenly sucks from now on, I am calling him Jack Goff forevermore and it will be all your fault lol.

Good thing Jared is a bad motherfucker and a damn good Quarterback.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Okay, several things occur to me here.

1. The Ram gameplan will likely be vastly different in this meeting. Gonna be heavy run oriented. IOW, don’t look for huge Goff numbers in the passing game.

2. Payton and his D coaches won’t know whether to crap or wind their watch as to how to prepare. McVay could run or pass on any given play or in any given situation. I don’t envy them.

3. Ram D has shown recent signs of life and at the best possible time. Meanwhile the Saints OL has multiple players playing with injuries. Don’t have to be Columbo to figure out who has the advantage there.

4. The Ram/Goff “problems” were solved 4 weeks ago via CJ and the occasional 12 personnel sets.

Here’s my predictions...

Rams exceed 150 yards rushing.
Rams win TOP by 8 minutes.
Rams get 2 sacks and numerous pressures.
Rams are plus one on turnovers.
Rams control LOS on both sides of the ball.

If our secondary can play even halfway decently, we win this going away. That might be a big if, depending on Peters. Lol.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, one thing that's been puzzling me...............
Columbo.jpg

RamWoodie

Legend
Wouldn't be the first time a team kept an injury quiet. But I think the timing of the dip in his play is too perfectly aligned with the loss of his security blanket. So I attribute it to him being uncomfortable due to not having Kupp as a quick early read.
I don't think losing Kupp is that big a deal as some say. Of course it's a blow to the offense...and Goff lost his smartest and most reliable WR.

Brady hurt with the loss of Edelman too...as any QB would with their "go to guy".

Down the stretch Goff faced some very good defenses. Those coordinators just presented some looks that gave him trouble and made him hold the ball or throw to his check downs.

I'm not 100 % sure of that...I'm just saying it's only natural for any QB to be affected by the loss of their best guy.

We've seen very good improvement in Reynolds...and while he's no Kupp the bond with Goff has grown.

When it comes to Everett...I'm a little confused. That guy can play TE or WR and I don't understand why he's not used more...but neither do I see what the staff sees everyday.

I hope to see both Reynolds and Everett get a few targets Sunday. Both guys are good at getting YAC yards.

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think it’s hard to critique when you don’t have all the info. He did flat out miss Everett in the flat by a foot, but was Reynolds supposed to sit down or keep running? Probably depends on the coverage, so yeah, there were points left on the field and not just by Goff. TG was open for a td in the first half but nobody picked up the blitz and he had to throw it away. And Cooks had both hands on that td that was overturned.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Looking for receiver Josh Reynolds, Goff nearly threw an interception to Cowboys cornerback Chidobe Awuzie.

To me, I think Reynolds is not running the right route, a number of throws to him don't quite get to Reynolds, now I'm not knocking Josh, he's not in the same league as Kupp. BUT I'll also like to point out that Awuzie is an excellent CB whit great man coverage and short are burst and he was all over Reynolds...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And if the rams had kupp on the field they would have had three 1200 yard wrs.

They were unstoppable with kupp on the field.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Mahomes is the most talented QB left.
Brady is the most accomplished QB left.
Brees, as a former champion and current MVP candidate, is no slouch.
But Goff has something none of those guys have. McVay.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Championship proven, not sure how Mahomes is any more “proven” than Goff If anything Goff is more proven, he hasn’t been playing like it lately but it’s kind of a subjective question. Goff managed to survive the hell that was Fisher’s offense, made it to the playoffs and got humbled and now is back. I’m not trying to downgrade what Mahomes has done but this is his first year starting and first trip to the playoffs. Maybe it won’t matter, I hope not, but I wouldn’t say championship proven.